Author Topic: Repair a old Acer 6312 Azerty  (Read 1791 times)

Offline 4sStylZ

Repair a old Acer 6312 Azerty
« on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 15:52:12 »
Hi people,

I discovered an old keyboard in a cellar. Before washing it, I tested the keyboard. Unfortunately many keys are not functional :

- Enter.
 - Arrow keys.
 - All the bottom row.
 - Verr num.

I don’t know how too identify what’s the problem. The membrane does not seems damaged.
Any suggestion ?

Some pictures :

« Last Edit: Mon, 14 August 2017, 16:18:06 by 4sStylZ »
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Repair a old Acer 6312 Azerty
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 16:41:28 »
follow the traces,  there could be a crack. or a worn out part..   or a cold joint pcb side.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 01:58:25 »
Probably one or more of the traces has been oxidised. If any of the traces have black stuff on them, gently rub it off with a rubber.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 02:39:28 »
With one of mine, I had to peel the membranes off the PCB. It probably wasn't glued on (it would be hard to keep the glue from obstructing the connections), but whatever they had done, I've never got it to work properly since. The connection between the membranes and the PCB no longer seems to work well. Some keys still work, but most of them don't register and a few keys may type something odd.

Most membrane keyboards can be disassembled and reassembled safely, but the Acer didn't, nor did either of my AppleDesign Keyboards (one Apple, one NMB) that both typed complete nonsense afterwards. I never even tried to fix those.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 07:37:18 »
Thank you for your help.

I have followed the trace and, sometimes traces were oxyded under the membrane. In fact, I have tested the connection with multimeter and the black trace is still connected.
After that, I have rubbed and clean the pcb and all of the membrane key connect plot. They was completely oxyded.

The result : I have now the led who work but but the keys that do not work before still does not work. That’s a fail.

This keyboard is total imperfection. That’s a big fat piece of metal and durable plastique. Cable and connection are good parts. The switch aren’t the best but for a 23 year old keyboard they work perfectly and seems to bring good feedback but the membrane kill of that.  :(

Bad.

The only things I can use are the keycap.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 August 2017, 07:38:57 by 4sStylZ »
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 August 2017, 17:34:10 »
I don't think they're even nice to type on. The keycaps are OK — nice contrast but the printing method is a bit wobbly. I converted one of mine to linear and it even feels rubbish as a linear keyboard. The click leaves seem to work in Alps SKCM switches, but they don't click in Alps switches: they're tactile only.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner