Author Topic: Replacement for a Deck Legend Fire  (Read 1805 times)

Offline mrblond

Replacement for a Deck Legend Fire
« on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 18:44:19 »
I replaced my Legend after about a decade of service and I have not found anything close to a replacement for it. I own a Ducky with cherry reds in it and while I like it, I make so many mistakes on it its sad. I am thinking its the lighter keys and I would really like to go back to cherry blacks.

I have found that Blacks are getting hard to find in a more modern keyboard ( fancy lighting and such.)  any recommendations that are not $200 and up?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Replacement for a Deck Legend Fire
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 18:50:55 »
Leopold FC980M with mx blacks, no lighting but can't tell if you did or didn't want that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 18:52:19 »
I have ordered a few times thought this website and they seem to have a wide selection of choices! Its worth taking a look I think and at the very least. Get idea of whats out there https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1524

Offline mrblond

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 August 2017, 19:05:38 »
I have ordered a few times thought this website and they seem to have a wide selection of choices! Its worth taking a look I think and at the very least. Get idea of whats out there https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1524

Leopold FC980M with mx blacks, no lighting but can't tell if you did or didn't want that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

id really like the lighting. I was looking at the Ducky year of the monkey witch uses blacks but again, its $200. I have looked off and on for a Legend fire that old/new stock but no luck sofar.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 01:51:32 »
did you check out the ducky shine 6 from the site I linked? its got RGB lighting and looks a lot like the year of the monkey but for 159. I do think you tend to pay a bit of a premium if your switch choice is outside of the a typical switch combos Blue, Red, Browns.. I guess thats mainly because they can get a premium for the other boards and sure the switches are harder to source. Another board I might recommend is a Tada68/Saber68 I am typing on one of those right now! I love it!!!. Mine has Gateron Black's in it. There smooth but a bit lighter there cherry mx blacks. The board does have back lighting and the optional aluminum case makes it weigh a ton. This things heavy. 

Offline mrblond

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 15:21:32 »
I am looking pretty hard at the Ducky 6. I have a Year of the ram at the moment and I like it other then the fact its got the reds. Its a shame Deck stoped doing the Legend series.

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 16:07:55 »
I feel your pain Buddy! That is why I have now Six of these boards. They are fully serviceable. You, or someone else can fix anything on it. So why not just get it fixed? I am sure any electronics repair shop will have a go at it. There is no comparison between the build quality of this board and anything Today IMO. Leopold is not even close but it is good enough for most people. If you are used to the Flat profile, especially if you had Clears it will be difficult to be happy with something else. Again, just my opinion. You can Mod it to be even nicer if that is to your liking.

Offline typo

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 06:26:29 »
I wanted a replacement as well. Went looking a short time ago. Ended up with a Leopold. Went right back to the Deck and proceeded to start stock piling them. After this, nothing can satisfy me. You either love this or hate t. It is built for durability above all else. I made some pretty step modifications to the one I use. To me the flat cap profile is superior. Most people prefer a sculpted profile. Anyone that has used this knows it is not like a Laptop keyboard. The flat profile with my incredibly heavy keys simply cannot be replaced. I do want something new but I have yet to find anything this solid. To me the solidity makes a huge difference in the typing experience. I feel the key-caps are superior and so do thousands of cops. Instead of a thick double shot or thick pbt it is a super thick pbt on the part you actually touch. Then reverse dyesubbed with a process that gets the ink into the plastic much further than tradional dyesub. Then they thermally bond an abs "skirt" to the cap top for cosmetics and to channel the light.  This is not an actual double shot cap per se but to me and many others it is simply superior. With 1/4" thick pbt on the part you actually touch it is almost guaranteed not to get shiny and retain the texture. Many hate the light bleed and such. Then the board itself is the most solid design I have ever seen. The pcb does not even need to be screwed in place. The board is modular and completely serviceable. You can fix anything on this board with off the shelf resistors etc. you can also switch between ps/2 and usb. so the cable is detachable but you would have to build a cable if it was damaged and you do not have another. like myself, I think you should have yours repaired. I do not think the op will be satisfied with anything else after this. Or buy a used one. Thus far I have found nothing that satisfies me like this and you may find the same. I have model M,F Topre etc. none of them even come close in build quality. not even Koreans. To me this makes for the best typing experience, not simply for industrial use. You can also consider a Deck 82 or the TG3 equivalent.  The other new Deck's are made in China and among the worst with the likes of Razer. This is subjective and ymmv. I just felt like adding this because I cannot be pulled away from it. I have been using these since they introduced hem and they have lived up to their name in my opinion. "The last keyboard you will ever need"