Author Topic: HHKB vs FC660C -Battle of the ultimate Topre  (Read 24587 times)

Offline regionfree

Re: HHKB vs FC660C -Battle of the ultimate Topre
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 08 October 2017, 23:53:55 »
I used to have both, but have since sold the FC660C. My friend did a coin test on the FC660C, and found out that the domes are actually 50g versus HHKB's 45g. No wonder it felt snappier. I'm picking up an FC660C again, as the sound of the silenced sliders against a steel plate has its own unique appeal compared to HHKB's hollow plasticky thock.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 00:26:15 »
I used to have both, but have since sold the FC660C. My friend did a coin test on the FC660C, and found out that the domes are actually 50g versus HHKB's 45g. No wonder it felt snappier. I'm picking up an FC660C again, as the sound of the silenced sliders against a steel plate has its own unique appeal compared to HHKB's hollow plasticky thock.

That's odd, How come the domes gained that 5g? I thought there were only 30g,45g and 55g domes?
I'm in such an awkward position, I love the HHKB's layout and the good looks but on the other hand, I also love my arrow keys and I would risk sacrificing the hollow thock for a sturdier build...

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 07:00:08 »
leopold boards have always been heavier than 45g despite being advertised as 45g.  Why?  who knows.
keyboards.

Offline moh18one

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 07:03:58 »
FC660C + Purple sliders =  :thumb:

Offline dante

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 09:53:40 »

Given the amount of love for Silent Topre I find it ridiculous that Leopold doesn't offer a silent FC660C/FC980C option yet.

Offline moh18one

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 09 October 2017, 19:45:33 »

Given the amount of love for Silent Topre I find it ridiculous that Leopold doesn't offer a silent FC660C/FC980C option yet.

Because Topre doesn't want maybe?

Topre manufactures all the keyboards with their switches and I'm pretty sure that Topre isn't interested about selling less Realforce models.  If you have to blame a company it's clearly not Leopold here...

You can use the HHKB Type S as a counterexample but keep in mind that the layout isn't for everyone and before the latest revision, the factory silenced sliders were shorter than the purple ones (3.8mm vs 4mm).

Offline regionfree

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 00:40:51 »
That's odd, How come the domes gained that 5g? I thought there were only 30g,45g and 55g domes?
I'm in such an awkward position, I love the HHKB's layout and the good looks but on the other hand, I also love my arrow keys and I would risk sacrificing the hollow thock for a sturdier build...

If it's going to help you decide, one problem I had with the FC660C was that the plate for mine started rusting in one of the corners. I live in a humid tropical country, though. So it might not happen to you.

Silencing the FC with the kbdfans thin rings and lubing it really set the board's sound apart from HHKB. The steel plate and the rings, combined with the snappy domes was so much better for me than the HHKB's. Ultimately, though, it was the HHKB's layout that won me.

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 01:01:45 »

If it's going to help you decide, one problem I had with the FC660C was that the plate for mine started rusting in one of the corners. I live in a humid tropical country, though. So it might not happen to you.

Silencing the FC with the kbdfans thin rings and lubing it really set the board's sound apart from HHKB. The steel plate and the rings, combined with the snappy domes was so much better for me than the HHKB's. Ultimately, though, it was the HHKB's layout that won me.

Thank you for mentioning that, I have not ever thought of that problem, I'm leaning towards the HHKB mainly because of its intuitive layout and that signature hollow thock.
I'm also looking into the Hi-Pro Realforce and the 87U 55g, only wishing they came in a 60%!!
I have made a list of all the Topre's that can ship to New Zealand through Amazon:

The 660C is more expensive than the HHKB.... (Note: includes shipping to NZ)

Leopold FC660C: $260-300 USD
HHKB Pro 2: $230 USD
HHKB Type-S: $320 USD
Realforce Uniform 55g: $250 USD
Topre Realforce 104 Hi-pro: $306 USD

Damn shipping.

Leopold FC660M MX Blue

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 09:07:39 »
Topre manufactures all the keyboards with their switches [...]

Actually — they don't. The HHKB is made by PFU. The FC660C and Type Heaven are outsourced to a third party manufacturer in China (so was the Novatouch). However, core components and QC are done in Japan.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 October 2017, 09:33:15 by _PixelNinja »

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 09:13:54 »
Topre manufactures all the keyboards with their switches [...]

Actually — they don't. The HHKB is made by PFU. The FC660C and Type Heaven are outsourced to a third party manufacturer in China (so was the Novatouch). However, core components and QC are done in Japan.
Realforce is the only TRUE topre?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 09:18:13 »
Realforce is the only TRUE topre?

People get confused about this. You have to view Topre as an engine manufacturer, rather than a car manufacturer.

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 09:27:09 »
So, CoolermMaster, Leopold, HHKB, Realforce all build the car body and Topre makes/outsources the switches (engines) and performs the QC?

Offline shadowku

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 10:43:12 »
The relationships around Topre is pretty confusing. It's not like Cherry where they make all the switches and keyboard producers can relatively easily use them in their keyboards.
I don't understand it myself, but I believe only the OG RF is Topre's actual full product, which is their flagship model for their switches I guess.

The result is a huge variation in keyboards with "Topre".
HHKB, RF, Leopolds, and NovaTouch all feel very different to me. Actually, I couldn't even say that the NovaTouch feels like Topre at all. I had to get rid of mine because of how bad it felt. Not sure if it was the switches or the slides though.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline wishful_cynic

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 11:05:15 »
The relationships around Topre is pretty confusing. It's not like Cherry where they make all the switches and keyboard producers can relatively easily use them in their keyboards.
I don't understand it myself, but I believe only the OG RF is Topre's actual full product, which is their flagship model for their switches I guess.

HHKB, RF, Leopolds, and NovaTouch all feel very different to me. Actually, I couldn't even say that the NovaTouch feels like Topre at all. I had to get rid of mine because of how bad it felt. Not sure if it was the switches or the slides though.

Topre-to-MX sliders might feel good to some people, but they *don't* feel like topre.  I tried that because the appeal is obvious: topre caps are rare, so solve that problem by making your topre board compatible with MX caps!  But it feels different, and to me, different in a very bad way.  Patience on finding topre caps I like was well worth the wait.  Keeping my board pure topre keeps the feeling sooo nice!

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 11:48:08 »

Topre-to-MX sliders might feel good to some people, but they *don't* feel like topre.  I tried that because the appeal is obvious: topre caps are rare, so solve that problem by making your topre board compatible with MX caps!  But it feels different, and to me, different in a very bad way.  Patience on finding topre caps I like was well worth the wait.  Keeping my board pure topre keeps the feeling sooo nice!

When you say they don't "feel" like Topre is that in a bad way?

One of the reasons I haven't jumped into Topre waters is because of the lack of compatible caps. I guess it would be a good way to stop spending money on keyboards though--buying an HHKB would certainly mean I just keep the caps stock with maybe just the modifiers being different caps or something.

Just curious to know how considerably different Topre is with MX sliders and keycaps versus stock. I know until I try it I won't understand but humor me anyway =)

Offline Hordak

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 11:48:40 »

Are the purple slider the ones in the Type-S or Realforce or are they the same?

Offline yuppie

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 12:59:09 »

Are the purple slider the ones in the Type-S or Realforce or are they the same?

Same
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline shadowku

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 15:00:05 »

One of the reasons I haven't jumped into Topre waters is because of the lack of compatible caps. I guess it would be a good way to stop spending money on keyboards though--buying an HHKB would certainly mean I just keep the caps stock with maybe just the modifiers being different caps or something.

Just curious to know how considerably different Topre is with MX sliders and keycaps versus stock. I know until I try it I won't understand but humor me anyway =)

Yeah, I'd say it's different in a bad way. I've heard of people who say that they don't mind swapped sliders, but I've never heard of anyone who's said that they prefer it.

MX sliders tend to be wobbly. The JTK sliders are a bit more wobbly than the NVT sliders. I haven't yet seen a comparison with the RF RGB sliders, but I'm interested.

After owning my HHKB for a while, I've kinda lost some desire to run custom caps. You could dye HHKB caps to different colors, but the options are definitely limited. The good thing is that the default keycaps are decent enough if you get an aftermarket PBT spacebar.

Like I said, my NovaTouch felt terrible. I was lucky enough to find someone who was willing to trade me a FC660C, which is much better. I think I could have improved the NovaTouch if I had added silencing rings on it (HyperSpheres) but I disliked it too much to want to spend any more money on it.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 15:08:16 »
Novatouch is different but I actually love mine. I have an FC660c, 87u 55g, Novatouch and Realforce RGB. All feel different but in a good way. I just rotate them all at work.

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 18:37:19 »

Yeah, I'd say it's different in a bad way. I've heard of people who say that they don't mind swapped sliders, but I've never heard of anyone who's said that they prefer it.

MX sliders tend to be wobbly. The JTK sliders are a bit more wobbly than the NVT sliders. I haven't yet seen a comparison with the RF RGB sliders, but I'm interested.

After owning my HHKB for a while, I've kinda lost some desire to run custom caps. You could dye HHKB caps to different colors, but the options are definitely limited. The good thing is that the default keycaps are decent enough if you get an aftermarket PBT spacebar.

Like I said, my NovaTouch felt terrible. I was lucky enough to find someone who was willing to trade me a FC660C, which is much better. I think I could have improved the NovaTouch if I had added silencing rings on it (HyperSpheres) but I disliked it too much to want to spend any more money on it.

I'm wanting an HHKB now for this very reason--no more needing to buy caps. I think I went a little overboard first time around with everything from DSA Granite to Jukebox SA, Dolch, etc. Having an HHKB with blank caps and maybe dyed or some modifiers in different colors would more than make me happy.

I wouldn't want a keyboard feeling wobbly if the whole point is to enjoy the feel of Topre over MX style switches. Probably better to leave it stock in the long run right?

Now I just need to find somewhere I can buy an HHKB and not wait 60+ days for it to arrive here in Canada =(.

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 19:08:19 »

I'm wanting an HHKB now for this very reason--no more needing to buy caps. I think I went a little overboard first time around with everything from DSA Granite to Jukebox SA, Dolch, etc. Having an HHKB with blank caps and maybe dyed or some modifiers in different colors would more than make me happy.

I wouldn't want a keyboard feeling wobbly if the whole point is to enjoy the feel of Topre over MX style switches. Probably better to leave it stock in the long run right?

Now I just need to find somewhere I can buy an HHKB and not wait 60+ days for it to arrive here in Canada =(.
Reddit.com/r/mechmarket    there are keyboards here for days. Happy hunting.

Offline xtianyves

• YvesDrop
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 19:59:46 »
I know thanks. I'm there every day looking for Canadian ones =)

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 21:31:22 »
:)

Offline Prothrin

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 12 October 2017, 04:42:42 »
I just wish they had more uniform options. There are especially so few with uniform 30g, for those that prefer lighter switches.

Offline shadowku

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 13 October 2017, 08:41:26 »
:)

If only you were in Toronto, haha.
I'm considering selling my HHKB with the painted caps (looks like an SNES).
I'm no longer using VIM which is why I'm considering selling. I may pickup another one later on if it'll fit me.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline Duckyreddy

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 30 October 2017, 02:09:38 »

Hey man, do you have any more information on the rust of the 660c's backplate?
thanks so much  :thumb:

Leopold FC660M MX Blue