Author Topic: KBDfans: OK to buy from?  (Read 24533 times)

Offline macguy80

KBDfans: OK to buy from?
« on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 23:00:29 »
Hey all,

So I saw a drop on Massdrop that I was interested in specifically because Zealios are a switch option. But the drop is a kit, and thanks to cerebral palsy, assembly is an impossibility for me.

I posted a comment there, and someone pointed me to a site (KBDfans) offering the same board (for more $ of course, but pre-assembled. As an added bonus, they offer different weights for the Zealios. Whereas the MD kit offers only 65g, I can get other options, including the 78g that I would be interested in.

But do you guys have any reason I should NOT deal with KBDfans, which is based in China? Any specific experiences with the site?

Thanks in advance!

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
Re: KBDfans: OK to buy from?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 23:02:15 »
Yes.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline need

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 23:08:59 »
Racist.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 23:18:35 »
I most certainly am NOT racist, and do not appreciate being called one.

Offline connor4312

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 23:22:09 »
I got an assembled KBD75 from them with zealios. No complains, it's a solid board and good service. Generally, KBDFans is quite well-known.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 23:25:56 »
I got an assembled KBD75 from them with zealios. No complains, it's a solid board and good service. Generally, KBDFans is quite well-known.

@connor4312, Thank you. That was exactly the answer I was looking for.

Offline ojrask

• juuh elikkäs
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 23:40:24 »
Ordered a few times from them, no issues.
Current:
    Ducky DK9008P [MX Blues] | WASD V2 TKL [MX Blues] | r63 (Satan 60% DIY) [Gateron Browns] | BananaSplit 60% [Gateron Greens] | UK78 [67g Zealios] | Infinity ErgoDox [MX Clears] | Pearl 40% [78g Zealios] | G81-3000
Coming up:
    DZ60/SKB60-WKL [100g MX Silent Blacks] | G81-3000 [Box Navies] Handwire
IC/GB:
    GMK Strogg | G81/80-3000 MX metal plate

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 23:51:10 »
Ordered from KBDfans directly and there Aliexpress page. I have contacted them a few times with just random questions. They always been quick to respond and very fast shipping. I am extremely pleased with them and had the same questions you had. How legit is it ordering from china! Rest assured there the real deal. I honestly prefer working with them then some local US companies I have to deal with.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 23:54:18 »
I bought a DZ60 PCB from them recently, and I have the new 5% case on pre-order.  Ordering and dealing with the multiple websites (AliExpress, eBay and Shopify) with different options can be confusing, and they don't accept certain payment methods.  (Paypal drawing from my bank account is not accepted, but Paypal using a debit card on the same bank is OK??)  And of course, you'll have to wait on the fabled Slow Boat From China.  If you can deal with those quibbles, though, KBDfans is reputable.

I might even say more reputable than Massdrop, the way things have been going lately.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 00:04:39 »
Thanks to all who have provided constructive comments. They'll be getting my order soon.

Not to hijack my own thread, but there have been problems with Massdrop lately? I haven't joined any drops since a couple years ago, so I wouldn't have been aware if I had decided to join a drop. What's going on with them these days?

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 00:13:11 »
Thanks to all who have provided constructive comments. They'll be getting my order soon.

Not to hijack my own thread, but there have been problems with Massdrop lately? I haven't joined any drops since a couple years ago, so I wouldn't have been aware if I had decided to join a drop. What's going on with them these days?

I hear a lot of people complain about Massdrop and talk crap about Massdrop.. but my experience has been positive. I think as long as you keep your expectations realistic.. aka that things might be delayed... there could be possible issues with orders ((Just like any company)) then you will be fine. I had to contact there support friday for a issue with missing switches. We had a resolution today Monday that was completely satisfactory.

Offline gizmoplex

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 October 2017, 00:13:49 »
Ordered from them a couple times via their shopify page, no issue. You can contact them via the built-in chat or FB messenger if you have any question, they respond quite quickly.   

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 11:13:28 »
Their english is a bit rough. I think they do google translate every now and then so be prepared for that.
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 17:42:15 »
I haven't personally ordered from them yet but I will do very soon. However, I have heard only good things about them from other users. For example, a fellow Geekhack user received a KBD75 case with a scratch, he reported it to KBDFans and they sent out a replacement as soon as they could have.

Their English is a bit broken and their website is a bit borked but that shouldn't be too much of an issue.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline obviouslygene

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 04:14:37 »
bought keycaps from KBDfans off their aliexpress page. they shipped me 2 - keys. missing a 0 key.
told them and they send one to me in a week.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 04:16:10 »

damn that's a pretty hostile reaction for someone who isn't something
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 06:00:26 »

Thats what a racist would say

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 06:02:38 »
Bought a couple of things from their Aliexpress store in different moments and never had any sort of issue.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 18:19:14 »

i was thinking the same thing about this mac guy!
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 18:34:32 »

:cool:

Offline macguy80

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 18:50:22 »

With all respect, I don't know you, and you don't know me. I don't judge you, and would appreciate the same courtesy.

If my response stuck you as hostile, please rest assured I did not intend it that way. What you interpreted as hostility was nothing more than outright shock that someone, who does not know me, would attempt to label me something that I am not.

Who wouldn't have that reaction?

It may be that, for you personally, there is nothing I could say that would make you believe otherwise.

And that would be sad, because I truly am not racist.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 19:08:02 »

With all respect, I don't know you, and you don't know me. I don't judge you, and would appreciate the same courtesy.

If my response stuck you as hostile, please rest assured I did not intend it that way. What you interpreted as hostility was nothing more than outright shock that someone, who does not know me, would attempt to label me something that I am not.

It may be that, for you personally, there is nothing I could say that would make you believe otherwise.

man you are trying way harder to convince me you're not a racist than anybody ostensibly trying to prove you are. what are you trying to hide, pal?
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 October 2017, 19:14:41 by sth »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 20:09:05 »

man you are trying way harder to convince me you're not a racist than anybody ostensibly trying to prove you are. what are you trying to hide, pal?

Some things you just don't kid about these days.  That's one of them.  Especially when someone does a drive by attack against your character.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 21:34:11 »

Some things you just don't kid about these days.  That's one of them.  Especially when someone does a drive by attack against your character.

what, are YOU a racist too?!

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 21:40:13 »
so much racism going on in this thread.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 01:45:34 »
I am not a fan of the laser etched keycaps sold by KBDFans. Am I alone here?
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline ygor

• eat a butt, monkey lord
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 02:53:15 »

They're just messing with you, buddy. Don't sweat it.
I generally hate all keycaps. Keycaps are for poofs. Real men touchtype on stems. Non-functional artisans are awesome, I use them for the ESC key ... escape is for cowards anyways, real men go frontal assault.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 03:03:02 »

hey don't sweat it I think there just poking fun at ya. I can completely understand your frustration thought. I have a very southern accent and because of it. I have had people label me a racist out of the blue. Its like wait what! All I did was say high and then getting labeled racist hick! What heck! I just roll my eyes at those people and figure they have a IQ in the low single digits  :D... Hopefully thought we where able to answer your questions about KBDFan's

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 03:05:06 »

Not a fan of laser etched keycaps in general. Those are the ones thinking of there pretty cheap thought might be ok if you just needed some caps to hold ya over until you could get your planned caps! Perhaps from a group buy are something. I know one of the sets I am waiting on is suppose to drop some time next year.. there going on my Tada 68

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 05:21:12 »

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 06:14:36 »

Not a fan of laser etched keycaps in general. Those are the ones thinking of there pretty cheap thought might be ok if you just needed some caps to hold ya over until you could get your planned caps! Perhaps from a group buy are something. I know one of the sets I am waiting on is suppose to drop some time next year.. there going on my Tada 68
My last set's lettering started wearing off in a week... It was the laser etched Dolch set. Ended up throwing them all in my spares bag and ordered double shots from PimpMyKeyboard.

Was it the Oblotzky SA Oblivion set?
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 October 2017, 06:16:47 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 06:36:33 »
@macguy80: Just ignore sth, he is just trying to be funny and forgot to use smileys to indicate sarcasm.

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 15:03:43 »

My last set's lettering started wearing off in a week... It was the laser etched Dolch set. Ended up throwing them all in my spares bag and ordered double shots from PimpMyKeyboard.

Was it the Oblotzky SA Oblivion set?

its XDA GodSpeed its estimated to drop Feb 27, 2018 but figured it will take longer then that... tacked on least 3 months extra so expecting it May or June next year.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 16:14:16 »
@macguy80: Just ignore sth, he is just trying to be funny and forgot to use smileys to indicate sarcasm.

oh crap my bad :(

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 19:11:12 »

I don't want to overstate this, but there have been a few amusing incidents lately.

--> https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/74qxmi/this_is_a_clueboard_according_to_massdrop/

--> https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/78a1ri/you_had_one_job_massdrop_one_job/

And that's without getting into the MD vs I:C patent dispute that has rubbed some folks the wrong way.

Offline donkey

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 05:50:13 »
Ordered from KBDFans twice so far.

First order was fulfilled flawlessly and delivered fast.

Second order was also fulfilled fast but delivery was much slower and part of the order was left out by mistake. Pinged them over Facebook messenger and they sent the missing PCB out within 24 hours via 4PX. Haven't heard of 4PX but that was two days ago so we'll see.

My current opinion of them is their quality control is a bit sloppy but earnest in trying to provide good service. Their pricing is pretty good so I think they can be trusted, up to a point as with anything of course.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 27 October 2017, 12:33:09 »

I don't want to overstate this, but there have been a few amusing incidents lately.

--> https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/74qxmi/this_is_a_clueboard_according_to_massdrop/

--> https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/78a1ri/you_had_one_job_massdrop_one_job/

And that's without getting into the MD vs I:C patent dispute that has rubbed some folks the wrong way.

But do they correct it?  Respond to it?  I had a customs screw up with KBDFans.  But I don't mention it because it was resolved, and it was one order.  People tend not to give MD the same allowance for screw-ups.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 10:40:05 »

I'm pretty sure the guy was simply commenting that they are based out of China and not implying that they half-ass everything, just meaning it's an overseas purchase.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline Rychubil

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 20:15:50 »
I bought from KBDfans these grey keycaps and under keyboard legs. All was fine.
https://m.imgur.com/a/BHEdr
Pok3r, Core 47, JD40, OLKB Planck soon (in assembly).
Cherry MX clear, green (150g), Kailh BOX Navy.
SA: Ice caps, Dasher, T0mb3ry Carbon, Maxkey Black, Maxkey dolch, Matt3o/dev/tty MT3. DSA: Dolch, Contrast white, DSA Glimy 2077. Datamancer Typewriter Classic.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 20:09:00 »
Anyone know how long does it take for the item to ship to Canada?

I ordered on Wed and it's only been 4 days (2 minus weekend) and it's been travelling through 3 China provinces and 2 Malaysia cities.  Not sure why so many stops but it's on the way.  :P

Again I'm not complaining I'm just impatient LOL so curious how long it actually take for items to arrive normally?

Is it safe to assume it will arrive some time this week?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 20:12:02 »
it honestly depends I have had as quick as 2 weeks from order date.. to my last order took around 20 day's. In the United States. most the hang up thought happens at customs. It typically takes 2-3 business day's minimal for my stuff to get thought there. This would also depend on what kinda shipping you get also. I heard that EMS Packet are what ever its called can take 20-30day's average. my packages where shipped DHL/Fedex.. which is suppose to be a much faster delivery time.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 22:31:58 »
Ah ok good to know mine was shipped by DHL/Fedex.  So let's hope I get it this week.  :thumb:

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline HotRoderX

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 29 October 2017, 22:47:17 »
if customs is quick about it there good chance you might. Typically once it hits United States.. it sits in customs then with in 1-2 days of leaving customs I have the package in hand normally. Its quick after that I don't know how Canadian customs is.. The one hang up you might have is and given not from Canada just going by what others say. There most likely will be some type of import fee from Customs on the package that you will have to pay. I don't know if you have to pay that before it can be delivered are when its delivered.