Author Topic: Most Favorable Keyboards NA?  (Read 1417 times)

Offline lshlsh1995

Most Favorable Keyboards NA?
« on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 19:09:58 »
So I am a Chinese international student and I have been studying in Canada for over 6 years. Recently, I am really into mechanical keyboards and I buying one.
I checked most info in Chinese forums and there are four "God-Like" keyboards from Chinese Geeks' sayings: for Red Switch, the best keyboard is Cherry MX 6.0/8.0; for Brown Switch, the best is Filco Majestouch 2 (accepted for years) / Feenix (recently pointed out by some); for Black, the best keyboard is SteelSeries 7G (Stop selling since 2015? they did not find any new "best" black switch keyboard yet.) ; for Blue Switch, the best keyboard is DAS Keyboard 4/ Model S. Those are commonly agreed best keyboards in China for years.

Since I am considering getting a Brown Switch Keyboard and I prefer to have detachable cord (I may carry it from time to time with my laptop), I think I will get a Filco Kobo the Black Based Mixed Lacquer from Japan (Filco supports Bluetooth, so I like it over Feenix. Logitech Pro has Romer-G Switch, which sucks. My mouse is G900, so G710 Blue was in my consideration for keyboard, but the cord is neither detachable nor braided. I actually bought a K95 Platinum and tried, but I didn't like its super thick cord and one keycap was actually inconsistent in color and I returned it.). The link is here: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/filco/kobo.php (I didn't find any link in this site that can sell me a Filco Kobo......). The price to buy this from Japan will be about C$ 320 ($ 252).

I just checked some threads here and I think more people are in favor of Leopold over Filco. Are there any specific reasons? Thank you guys. And I am new here ~

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Re: Most Favorable Keyboards NA?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 October 2017, 00:38:46 »
I think you've got a pretty good handle on what you like and what you want.  I don't personally own either a Leopold or a Filco, but I know I wouldn't hesitate to get either as both are fine companies.

Offline rich1051414

Re: Most Favorable Keyboards NA?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 09:34:44 »
So I am a Chinese international student and I have been studying in Canada for over 6 years. Recently, I am really into mechanical keyboards and I buying one.
I checked most info in Chinese forums and there are four "God-Like" keyboards from Chinese Geeks' sayings: for Red Switch, the best keyboard is Cherry MX 6.0/8.0; for Brown Switch, the best is Filco Majestouch 2 (accepted for years) / Feenix (recently pointed out by some); for Black, the best keyboard is SteelSeries 7G (Stop selling since 2015? they did not find any new "best" black switch keyboard yet.) ; for Blue Switch, the best keyboard is DAS Keyboard 4/ Model S. Those are commonly agreed best keyboards in China for years.

Since I am considering getting a Brown Switch Keyboard and I prefer to have detachable cord (I may carry it from time to time with my laptop), I think I will get a Filco Kobo the Black Based Mixed Lacquer from Japan (Filco supports Bluetooth, so I like it over Feenix. Logitech Pro has Romer-G Switch, which sucks. My mouse is G900, so G710 Blue was in my consideration for keyboard, but the cord is neither detachable nor braided. I actually bought a K95 Platinum and tried, but I didn't like its super thick cord and one keycap was actually inconsistent in color and I returned it.). The link is here: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/filco/kobo.php (I didn't find any link in this site that can sell me a Filco Kobo......). The price to buy this from Japan will be about C$ 320 ($ 252).

I just checked some threads here and I think more people are in favor of Leopold over Filco. Are there any specific reasons? Thank you guys. And I am new here ~
This is a very generalized comment. Most people I know are very opinionated and diverse with what they call the 'best', but there is one common trend among most, the 'best' keyboard is subjective, and therefore the only reasonable answer would be a DIY kit. Personally, I like 67 gram blues/greens/clears for general typing. Linear for gaming, however, linear are boring, so tactile is a good compromise. However, there is still something very satisfying about clicky keyboards if you aren't one that is annoyed by it.

Also, there are a lot of switches that are no longer produced and are all but forgotten, and there are a lot of hidden gems if you want to hit up recycling centers. One that I stumbled on that I was HIGHLY impressed with was the Futaba MA switch, which feels like some kind of linear/clicky hybrid with nearly a total lack of resistive tactility. I honestly think a lot of linear fans would find the switch absolute heaven sent, if it could make a tactile fan like it and it didn't even have much tactility.

Also, most people tend to like alps variants of cherry switches more, but this will require even more diy work unless you want to use the arguably inferior modern alps variants. I already have my plans for the 'end game' keyboard, a 75% with alps orange.

Finally, we have Topre, the token overrated switch. This comment will likely make people upset. :)

Obviously, this is all my opinion, but I am assuming you want the opinion of a western keyboard enthusiast.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 October 2017, 09:42:13 by rich1051414 »
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh