Author Topic: which compact form factor custom case would you be interested in the most?  (Read 1848 times)

Offline llovro

I'm working on a project and I'm wondering which form factor custom case would you be excited for the most, so I kindly ask you to answer the poll for me. Thank you
https://goo.gl/forms/hQKiUHzkWPBm7H4F3
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 October 2017, 13:27:21 by llovro »

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
Re: which form factor custom case would you be interested in the most?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 18:57:04 »
Your pole is missing the full keyboard with numpad, which is my favorite, since I work with it a lot doing networking most of the time. My second favorite is tenkeyless, for no specific reason, since I have no space issues at my current desk.

Offline llovro

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 02:48:01 »
Your pole is missing the full keyboard with numpad, which is my favorite, since I work with it a lot doing networking most of the time. My second favorite is tenkeyless, for no specific reason, since I have no space issues at my current desk.
I intentionally didn't include the full keyboard, as I find a keyboard plus separate numpad more useful, as you can move the numpad around. So what is your opinion on that?
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 October 2017, 02:56:09 by llovro »

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 07:27:39 »
How does a 87% keyboard look like?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 07:48:07 »
I intentionally didn't include the full keyboard, as I find a keyboard plus separate numpad more useful, as you can move the numpad around. So what is your opinion on that?
I have never used it so I cannot really comment from experience on the separate numpad, but I can see how in some cases can be of use and offer more functionality than a permanently attached one. If I have the chance I might give it a try.

That being said I can see a couple of drawbacks, with the most noticeable one being that you cannot find old/vintage keyboard with a separate numpad. I work on IBM Model M both at the office and at home due to how they feel and sound. A lesser annoyance for a separate numpad might be the extra cable on the desk for some.

I voted for the 87% one on your pole by the way. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 11:52:48 »
I'm a full-size keyboard user as well. It is extremely rare that any enthusiast here will consider designing/offering a full-size custom case, especially in aluminum. This is because a) they are wicked expensive to make, b) virtually nobody in the DIY crowd uses full-size boards.

The Peach was a rare specimen and it wasn't offered in white, so I skipped it. Chances are nobody will do one again for a very long time, and even if they do, they probably won't offer white as a color (because powder-coating is more effort than they are willing to go to).

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 13:06:46 »
I may be a minority so my opinion makes no difference, but I personally prefer 75%. (84 Key)
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 13:16:02 »
No love for Left F-key boards (60% or 65% with 2 columns on the left).  :(

As for the form... why are there 2 pages for 2 question? And why aren't either required?
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline llovro

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 13:16:40 »
I'm sorry, I meant the 87 key/TKL keyboard, I fixed the poll now and added a new section, as I'm wondering, whether would people prefer a fully custom keyboard, which means pcb + plate + case, or just a custom case, which could accomodate most of the custom pcbs out there.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 14:15:52 »
I meant the 87 key/TKL keyboard
TKL is a better term in my opinion since ISO TKLs have 88 keys.

whether would people prefer a fully custom keyboard, which means pcb + plate + case, or just a custom case, which could accomodate most of the custom pcbs out there.
That could work for 60% PCBs because most (if not all) are made around the Poker standard. Other formats' PCBs may be substantially different and a universal case won't just do.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff