Author Topic: USB Unsaver  (Read 4950 times)

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
USB Unsaver
« on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 06:44:26 »
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Ir0n

Re: USB Unsaver
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 07:10:25 »
:X $600-800 my guess

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 08:08:20 »
Since it is a US seller in a US market, I would be curious to know whether an ANSI mod would have increased or decreased the ebay market price relative to the stock layout refurbishment.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Phenix

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 08:14:05 »
Since it is a US seller in a US market, I would be curious to know whether an ANSI mod would have increased or decreased the ebay market price relative to the stock layout refurbishment.
That depends on the bidder I think. If its a US citizen: ANSI - if not ISO

Would a HHKB layout increase the price further?.. ;)
Winter is coming.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 20:35:20 »
*adds to watchlist*

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 01:28:30 »

Geez, someone would want to modify something that rare? F-122s aren't ANSI either, but who cares?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 05:38:15 »

Geez, someone would want to modify something that rare? F-122s aren't ANSI either, but who cares?

Plenty of people.  The ANSI mod on an F-122 is a popular one.

I wouldn't mod this though, you'd lose the APL backslash key.  Don't even like color modifiers.  I might have replaced the stepped modifiers with full keys, but standard ones.

I think this will top $1000.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 06:39:24 »

someone would want to modify something that rare? F-122s aren't ANSI either, but who cares?

I understand the APL key argument, and why a "collector" would pay a premium for it. With that understanding, a re-seller might well want to keep it original to attract a higher price.

But for me, keyboards are tools to be used. If I am not specifically planning on flipping it for a profit, I would do the ANSI mod as a matter of course as soon as I get it.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline Phenix

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 16:34:33 »
I would think twice if I want to do a move which I CANT undo - however the ANSI mod is definitly not harmful..

Winter is coming.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 18:25:22 »
Jebus, at $650 already...still 5 days left.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 19:10:34 »
a***g is the only automatic bidder left in the running, so unless someone new joins the race or just bids it up a bit for spite, I think the opening round is almost done.

But with 5 days left...this one is going to go really high I think.  And for a good reason possibly too as this is a very clean board and modded like it was factory.  It's so beautiful...

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 16:37:48 »
I keep checking on this out of curiosity. MFW i saw this thing hit 1000  :eek:

Offline Ir0n

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 19:00:12 »
Well **** it went way over what I guessed D: good lord
someone reeeeally wants that slim f122

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 21:14:40 »
I keep checking on this out of curiosity. MFW i saw this thing hit 1000  :eek:

:eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JP

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 22:10:30 »
This is why they call it the Unsaver.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 22:23:22 »
Christmas is cancelled, dad needs an unsaver! 😂

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 November 2017, 23:13:50 »
Wow.  Just wow.  Where do you think all these baller keyboards end up?  Because I don't think there's too many users that will be dropping that type of dough in the various keyboard communities.  :eek:

Offline JP

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 18:08:59 »
Up to $1,025 and less than 3 hours to go. Don't forget the popcorn. I think there must be like a kilo of cocaine stuffed into this Unsaver.

Offline ekeppel

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 20:02:55 »
With an hour to go, there have been at least three separate bidders willing to pay $1K (or more) for this keyboard.  I wonder if we'll see any last minute snipes from others?

Offline JP

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 21:05:10 »
 :eek: $1,975.00 That's a nice little pay day for the seller.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 November 2017, 22:04:58 »
Maybe now we may see more unsavers listed on Ebay since they see what they can get. Although this one was a very nice specimen.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 00:26:06 »
:eek: $1,975.00 That's a nice little pay day for the seller.
And if you include the shipping, it topped over $2k.  :eek:

So apparently there are enthusiasts who love the industrial and the unsaver with over $2k to burn in their pocket.  :-\

Okay, so who and where are these guys/gals?!?!  :eek:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 07:11:22 »
It really is a near-perfect specimen, looks immaculate. I don't really care about the APL caps, but I know that some people lust after them.

I would have done (did, on mine) an ANSI mod, but this guy went all the way with an Xwhatsit and USB-B socket.

He seems to know what is going on, does anybody recognize him as a member here or on DT?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 20:00:08 »

At that price you'd want to store it in a gold-plated display case, not use it!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JP

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 November 2017, 21:37:00 »

At that price you'd want to store it in a gold-plated display case, not use it!

Or blow it up with explosives to make some sweet ad revenue on YouTube.

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 03:17:54 »
It really is a near-perfect specimen, looks immaculate. I don't really care about the APL caps, but I know that some people lust after them.

I would have done (did, on mine) an ANSI mod, but this guy went all the way with an Xwhatsit and USB-B socket.

He seems to know what is going on, does anybody recognize him as a member here or on DT?
That's what I'm kinda wondering as well as the buyers of these great specimens.  Are the buyers just regulars like us that don't post much?  Do we have ballers in our midst?  :eek:

Offline JP

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 07:14:57 »
That's what I'm kinda wondering as well as the buyers of these great specimens.  Are the buyers just regulars like us that don't post much?  Do we have ballers in our midst?  :eek:
[/quote]

I think the seller was someone on DT. No idea who the buyer was, but whoever they are
182544-0

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 03:35:27 »
Yikes! Obviously this is another reason it can be referred to as an "unsaver".  :?P
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 14:51:34 »
Yikes! Obviously this is another reason it can be referred to as an "unsaver".  :?P
Haha!  Good one!

There should be a board called the 'Baller Spender' that sells for $1k+.  :))