Author Topic: [IC] Pulse SA - Round 3  (Read 28212 times)

Offline Shell058

• sheep sheep sheep
Re: [IC] Pulse SA - Round 3
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 09:55:19 »
I know it might be going out on a limb... but is there a possibility the ErgoDox/ErgoPro kit could be done with icon mods instead of text mods?

I know Ergo caps with legends are difficult because everyone has their keys mapped differently, but I feel like the icons are artistic and abstract enough that it wouldn't matter how the keys were technically labeled because the presentation would be so good.

That aside, it's a great set and I'm in!

I second the icon Ergodox idea! I always see complaints about ergo text mods not matching customized layouts, and I think icons would solve that and also look fantastic.

Offline Fallakin

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 12:22:55 »
Probably also going out on a limb....

Any chance for a 6.5u Spacebar for those of us using corsair keyboards?  :-[

Signature Plastics does not have a mold for this Spacebar size.

:'(

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 15:46:21 »
I LOVE those colors on the mito kit. Wish it was fully sculpted, might have to just use the different row 1 and 4 from the normal kit and see how it works out. That purple is beautiful

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 14:14:12 »
IC forums - 35 replies in like an hour.

MD forums - like 10 replies outside of complaints and Mito's post in 48 hours, 1 in the last 24.

Oh boy would you look at the time

Offline denym_

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 20:29:29 »
Oh well... Just ordered parts for my first custom mechanical and this pops up. Guess I need 2 keyboards...

Is it only the Mitolet that comes in the 2.3.3.3.3 option
or does the pulse also comes in 1.2.3.4.3 and 2.3.3.3.3.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 20:43:50 »
Oh well... Just ordered parts for my first custom mechanical and this pops up. Guess I need 2 keyboards...

Is it only the Mitolet that comes in the 2.3.3.3.3 option
or does the pulse also comes in 1.2.3.4.3 and 2.3.3.3.3.

Only Mitolet is currently going to be 223333

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 22:14:20 »
I’m all about that sculpted SA, but after using my Filco sphericals for a while, I can definitely see the appeal of 2-2-3-3-3-3
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Fooblitzky

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 22:59:39 »
All Zambloos for me please.

I'm in for Zambs, Text Mods, Hobbyist, Novelties, 7U Space, and Numpad. I hope that's all I need.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 00:17:31 »
IC forums - 35 replies in like an hour.

MD forums - like 10 replies outside of complaints and Mito's post in 48 hours, 1 in the last 24.

And on Reddit there was like 200 comments in a matter of hours.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 07:51:31 »
I think the mono kit should be expanded to provide enough black keys to cover the whole top row on at least a 60%. This would entail minimal additions of a black esc, 1u backspace and 2u backspace. That way we could use zambs and modifiers with an all black top row :D
keyboards.

Offline peggisan

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 18:41:00 »
Would it be possible to get 1 extra R3 key in the rams set? The rune symbols are pretty interchangeable but getting a extra R3 using a R2 symbol will make it work with Dvorak and Colemak without having to use duplicate keys.

Offline NovaLion

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 01:31:23 »
Oh man, I'm so stoked. I've been trying to get this set for so long. Count me in for Alphas, Zambs, Rams, Text Mods, Numpad, Novelties, Arrows and the 7U Space. Maybe 2 sets each.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 17:15:44 »
Nice! I knew you were running R3, but I never saw the IC thread.

Great work and I love the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 17:59:27 »

If only there was a place where IC's could be posted in  :thumb:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 18:18:10 »

If only there was a place where IC's could be posted in  :thumb:

Yes, if only...
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 11 March 2018, 21:08:55 »
Hey mods, surely you're monitoring the thread/section (if you're not then we have an even bigger problem), how about we actually start listening to community feedback, facing the facts and just revert things back to how they were? You can revisit this faux "solution" at a later stage once you actually make up your mind as for what you want to do with ICs and once other vendors actually get their threads moved to their sub-forums instead of ostracising Massdrop for no valid reason.

You had your experiment, maybe the timing just isn't right and it's okay to be wrong. I think we can all agree with the fact that if this were to be in the IC forum this would be at least 5 pages long by now and instead its gotten like 1 reply a day. Just let it go, all you're doing it retracting attention from Geekhack since everyone just goes to MD to discuss this instead.

We don't need a full month or however long to gather data to have definite proof that the literal only reason you wouldn't revert this change would be because you don't wanna give in and admit it's a ****ed up thing to do.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 01:28:08 »
Hey mods, surely you're monitoring the thread/section (if you're not then we have an even bigger problem), how about we actually start listening to community feedback, facing the facts and just revert things back to how they were? You can revisit this faux "solution" at a later stage once you actually make up your mind as for what you want to do with ICs and once other vendors actually get their threads moved to their sub-forums instead of ostracising Massdrop for no valid reason.

You had your experiment, maybe the timing just isn't right and it's okay to be wrong. I think we can all agree with the fact that if this were to be in the IC forum this would be at least 5 pages long by now and instead its gotten like 1 reply a day. Just let it go, all you're doing it retracting attention from Geekhack since everyone just goes to MD to discuss this instead.

We don't need a full month or however long to gather data to have definite proof that the literal only reason you wouldn't revert this change would be because you don't wanna give in and admit it's a ****ed up thing to do.

It's just sad that they're continuing it at this point :\

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 15:54:05 »
Apologies for being off-topic, but what was the rationale for moving ICs. It seems pretty dumb to me. IC's, by their very nature, are vendor neutral. If an IC never goes to GB, how is there a vendor?
What if an IC expresses intent to run on MD but MD doesn't accept the IC and it ends up getting run somewhere else?
Really just an all-around bad decision.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 16:33:20 »
Apologies for being off-topic, but what was the rationale for moving ICs. It seems pretty dumb to me. IC's, by their very nature, are vendor neutral. If an IC never goes to GB, how is there a vendor?
What if an IC expresses intent to run on MD but MD doesn't accept the IC and it ends up getting run somewhere else?
Really just an all-around bad decision.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94455.0 is where the topic is being discussed.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 16:51:05 »
UPDATE #1 - Community Requests' Change log:

Tweaks:
• Added R1 1u \ | keycap to all Alpha kits (for HHKB layout compatibility);
• Removed the f-row from Zambs and added an inverted colorscheme F-Row kit;
• Swapped R1 1u PG DN from Text Hobbyist & Icon Hobbyist for R1 1u PG UP;
• Added R2 1u PG DN to Text Hobbyist & Icon Hobbyist kits;
• Added R4 1u SHIFT to Text Hobbyist & Icon Hobbyist kits;
• Added R1 1u PN to Exotic kit (Vortex Race compatibility);
• Added R4 1u SHIFT to Exotic kit;
• Added R1 1u ESC and R1 1u BKSP to Ortho kit;
• Added R3 1u CTRL and R3 1u ALT to Ortho kit;
• Added R4 1u SHIFT to Ortho kit;
• Added R1 1u "2 to Norde kit;
• Added a Mac kit;
• Added punctuation keycaps to Mono kit;
• Added Blanks kit;
• Expanded Mitolet kit towards winkeyless compatibility (7u bottom row, 1u REKT,  1u \ |);

Developing:
• Black modifier kits (Text Noire & Icon Noire);
• Novelties - studying inclusion of the old Round 1/2 pictograms.

Disclaimer:
Several other suggestions were considered and studied, some of them I even added. But when balancing things out, I decided not to include them, to make things affordable and more straight forward to everyone all things considered. Hope you understand!

Please keep suggestions coming, feedback is greatly appreciated and I will keep doing tweak runs per your requests.

Coming next:
I'll be fixing some keyboard renders and displaying more combinations this week (12th March ~ 19 March).

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 17:07:22 »
Really like the black modifier kits!

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 17:31:27 »
There are four modifier styles (Text Blue, Icon Blue, Text Noire, and Icon Noire), but only Text Blue has an R4 1.25u key; one in the UK kit and one in the Norde kit. I don't mind if it's a blank key or an icon key, but could a black R4 1.25u key be included somewhere? A lot of 40% keyboards use a R4 1.25u key and I want to be able to kit my Vortex Core out in properly sculpted Icon Noire, if possible. I've used R3 keys as stand-ins on my Core before and IMO it just doesn't look or feel right.

I do really love the Icon Noire look and hope to see a render of it with Rams alphas!

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 17:38:56 »
Really like the black modifier kits!

Thank you very much for the feedback Chuck, I'm gonna be working on some visualizations for this combo coming next.

There are four modifier styles (Text Blue, Icon Blue, Text Noire, and Icon Noire), but only Text Blue has an R4 1.25u key; one in the UK kit and one in the Norde kit. I don't mind if it's a blank key or an icon key, but could a black R4 1.25u key be included somewhere? A lot of 40% keyboards use a R4 1.25u key and I want to be able to kit my Vortex Core out in properly sculpted Icon Noire, if possible. I've used R3 keys as stand-ins on my Core before and IMO it just doesn't look or feel right.

I do really love the Icon Noire look and hope to see a render of it with Rams alphas!

I see what you're talking about, the thing is that I had to restrict the international communities to the most fundamental/recognizable color scheme of the keycap set (cyan & black). So offering all combinations wasn't possible, it will only make everything more expensive. I gave it a try on Godspeed XDA and we sold over 7,400 kits but only four Lunar Norde Kits. Hope you understand. As for you request, there's a R3 1.25u black keycap on the Blanks kit, please verify and let me know if that works for you!

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 22:07:32 »
I don't quite understand the punctuation additions in the mono kit.   
keyboards.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 22:38:09 »

The point of the mono kit is to have a set that is completely mono-legend. Numrow has dual legends and so do the punctuation keys.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 00:15:04 »

I see what you're talking about, the thing is that I had to restrict the international communities to the most fundamental/recognizable color scheme of the keycap set (cyan & black). So offering all combinations wasn't possible, it will only make everything more expensive. I gave it a try on Godspeed XDA and we sold over 7,400 kits but only four Lunar Norde Kits. Hope you understand. As for you request, there's a R3 1.25u black keycap on the Blanks kit, please verify and let me know if that works for you!

I get what you mean, but as a counterpoint, SA Oblivion had three modifier styles with two alpha colors and sold twice as many UK kits as XDA Godspeed with 1k fewer total orders. I don't think fully-maxed out kits is the best move, either, but there's a middle ground somewhere. As the kits stand right now, if someone wanted a Zambs UK ISO set, for example, they could hack it together with the current kits and just deal with the inaccurate legends while having the correct row/size/color, but the same is not possible for the black modifiers because there is literally no black 1.25u R4 or R2 key, regardless of legend. If I could, I would order a blank directly from SP, but they haven't been in stock for a while.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 00:37:10 »
Developing:

This what I came here for, except it needs a Tsangan bottom row. Black mods and black alphas. Winkeyless pls (same complaint about Mitolet).
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 March 2018, 01:46:09 by Wetherbee »

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 00:52:48 »
MiTo,

The Text Hobbyist kit still contains a 1U R4 PgUp that should be a PgDn.  The icon in the corresponding Icon Hobbyist key is a down icon.  This looks like simply a mistake in the Text Hobbyist kit.

Offline krey

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 05:21:24 »
please make it happen! :)
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 06:17:23 »
Beautiful mito <3

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 06:24:44 »

The point of the mono kit is to have a set that is completely mono-legend. Numrow has dual legends and so do the punctuation keys.

Oh, duh. ;D
keyboards.

Offline salasource

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 06:41:22 »
Black modifier kit could use one R4 1.25U SHIFT :P

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 07:42:10 »
It look very nice with black modifier :D

Offline theknown

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 08:52:00 »
In for some Rams

Offline crystalhand

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 10:54:02 »
Looks absolutely awesome.  I will be placing an order. At least I will have a few months to love on the godspeed xda keycaps.

Offline Fallakin

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 15:28:19 »
Well considering I bit the bullet and bought a Whitefox today, I'll have to get these now...  :))

Offline ctzn_voyager

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:39:49 »
Love these kits, I'll be in for most of them. Keep bringin the heat, MiTo

Offline avid

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 20:49:06 »
Black uniform kits are great. Would you consider including Iso shift + Iso enter in black in some form? If not in that set, in the ISO uk kit.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 14 March 2018, 17:44:46 »
Developing:

This what I came here for, except it needs a Tsangan bottom row. Black mods and black alphas. Winkeyless pls (same complaint about Mitolet).

+1

All my boards are 7u Tsangan style.

Offline pomk

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 01:54:18 »
No ISO support for rams?

Offline Keebmeupscotty

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 02:13:01 »
@mito Everything looks amazing and it is awesome to see how much feedback from the community you have incorporated into the sets already! I'm curious though, have you ever given a thought to doing like a roman numeral set to go along with Dieter Rams? I understand they might need molds made (doubt the normal I, V and Xs could be used), so they might not be for this set, but perhaps the next dye sub set you do with the rams as an option? I feel like I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VIII,IX, and maybe just X even though it stands for 10 would work, no? I could see the VIII being difficult to fit on a 1u. Maybe making up something like IIX if it would fit. Anyway, I think they might go a lot better with the rams set than the monos. Just a thought, but awesome set either way and thanks for the upcoming chance to get a hold of them!

Offline pomk

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 03:31:53 »
@mito Everything looks amazing and it is awesome to see how much feedback from the community you have incorporated into the sets already! I'm curious though, have you ever given a thought to doing like a roman numeral set to go along with Dieter Rams? I understand they might need molds made (doubt the normal I, V and Xs could be used), so they might not be for this set, but perhaps the next dye sub set you do with the rams as an option? I feel like I,II,III,IV,V,VI,VII,VIII,IX, and maybe just X even though it stands for 10 would work, no? I could see the VIII being difficult to fit on a 1u. Maybe making up something like IIX if it would fit. Anyway, I think they might go a lot better with the rams set than the monos. Just a thought, but awesome set either way and thanks for the upcoming chance to get a hold of them!
Nordic people did not like writing numbers down, but when they did they definitely did not use roman numbers for it. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dftS6agMeLY/Uv1R45sHkZI/AAAAAAAABgE/jW_c5oCSjEk/s1600/Runic-Numerals-Ed.jpg
Keep it as it is, or at least make up something remotely accurate instead of mixing different ’old’ notations without thought.

Offline Hammer

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 13:21:40 »
Mitolet looks sick! Gonna have to save up for this one...
Mitolet looks sick! Gonna have to save up for this one...
R.I.P

Offline Keebmeupscotty

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 20:35:16 »
Nordic people did not like writing numbers down, but when they did they definitely did not use roman numbers for it. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dftS6agMeLY/Uv1R45sHkZI/AAAAAAAABgE/jW_c5oCSjEk/s1600/Runic-Numerals-Ed.jpg
Keep it as it is, or at least make up something remotely accurate instead of mixing different ’old’ notations without thought.
Point taken. However, my statement wasn't thoughtless. I respect your dedication to the integrity of the runes' historical uses, but my thought was completely based on aesthetics. I feel the straight lines of roman numerals might go better with the runes. Seeing as how the Rams set was created as a "novelty add-on that celebrates the GOAT of industrial design school and his contribution to modern society," I don't think the point was to be historically accurate, but to make a set with a bit of history to it that uses simplicity to please the eye as an homage to Dieter Rams.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 March 2018, 22:53:51 by Keebmeupscotty »

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #94 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 20:41:24 »
Point taken. However, my statement wasn't thoughtless. I respect your dedication to the integrity of the runes' historical uses, but my thought was completely based on aesthetics. I feel the straight lines of roman numerals might go better with the runes. Seeing as how the Rams set was created as a "novelty add-on that celebrates the GOAT of industrial design school and his contribution to modern society," I don't think the point was to be historically accurate, but to make a set with a bit of history to it as an homage to Dieter Rams, that pleases the eye.

The Pentimal system symbols would be more fitting, I think.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentimal_system

Offline prelude46

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 22:20:42 »
I'd love to see some renders of the Zambs with the Noire Mods/Icons  :)

Offline pomk

« Reply #96 on: Fri, 16 March 2018, 09:07:20 »
Point taken. However, my statement wasn't thoughtless. I respect your dedication to the integrity of the runes' historical uses, but my thought was completely based on aesthetics. I feel the straight lines of roman numerals might go better with the runes. Seeing as how the Rams set was created as a "novelty add-on that celebrates the GOAT of industrial design school and his contribution to modern society," I don't think the point was to be historically accurate, but to make a set with a bit of history to it that uses simplicity to please the eye as an homage to Dieter Rams.
Fair enough. I just don't like the look of combining a font without serif's to another one with them and roman numerals look awkward when done with a font without serif's. The nordic runes would look very strange if someone added serif's to them  :).

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 08:17:19 »
Like you even need to 'Interest Check' anything Mito... just build it and they will come  ;D

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 09:38:18 »
The noir kits are fantastic and I'm sure many will appreciate them - there are many fans of uniform mod/alpha colour sets out there, glad to see it happen here.

Offline ullr

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 10:19:11 »
My gripe with the runes kit is that I don’t like how it stretches the elder futhark to 26 characters, by just doubling Kaunan and Wunjō.

There are a lot of other options, such as
  • Glyph variants employed in the Elder Futhark: ᛝ, ᚻ, ᛊ (epsilonoid shape) (I think these are best)
  • Anglo‐Saxon runes: ᛥ, ᚸ
  • Runic punctuation: ᛫, ᛬
  • Simple bind runes

Also the the characters themselves seem to vary in size a lot compared to extant inscriptions — some (ᛜ, ᛞ, ᚲ) are a lot bigger than most sources make them and some (ᚦ, ᚹ, ᛒ) are relatively tiny

However, I do love the idea of a rune kit and I think this may be my first time joining a Pulse GB because of it.