Author Topic: External Sound Options  (Read 4095 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
External Sound Options
« on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 13:40:42 »
I've got an old workstation desktop PC with no sound support, I don't want to put anything internal in, does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap and decent usb sound option? Or something else?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: External Sound Options
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 14:07:06 »
if you just need to make it go b00p ,  anything will do.

If you want something that isn't electrically noisy like computer sound typically is.. You're gonna want a usb sound stick which has optical out, 

Then through optical,  then to something like a Fiio d3

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 14:08:49 »
 Well I've got an old Logitech Z-5500 surround set I'm thinking about hooking up to it otherwise I use headphones.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 14:11:58 »
Well I've got an old Logitech Z-5500 surround set I'm thinking about hooking up to it otherwise I use headphones.

if it's a z5500,  then that has optical input..

You'd want a usb optical stick,

https://www.amazon.com/External-Adapter-Optical-Windows-SD-AUD20101/dp/B006SF68P2/ref=sr_1_5/141-0509642-9829263?ie=UTF8&qid=1527534589&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+toslink

This is the one I have, but i only need it in a stick form because i bought it for a laptop.

You can get the small box kind

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/141-0509642-9829263?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+optical+sound&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ausb+optical+sound

All of these do more/less the same thing.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 May 2018, 15:37:55 »
tp4's right, optical is the way to go with an external amp to avoid ground loops.

Cheap USB soundcards don't usually do well with efficient headphones as the power supply is noisy but looks like you can plug them into that surround sound set so you're good.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 May 2018, 03:57:39 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JianYang

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 00:16:52 »
I have in a past career designed audio equipment, including USB devices. While I cannot give a sensible recommendation, it really bothers me that consumers still have to struggle with ground loops and noise. They should not be aware that something like that exists. It is really some of the easiest problems to fix.

(And I do not think that optical is a good solution to these)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 03:44:15 »
I have in a past career designed audio equipment, including USB devices. While I cannot give a sensible recommendation, it really bothers me that consumers still have to struggle with ground loops and noise. They should not be aware that something like that exists. It is really some of the easiest problems to fix.

(And I do not think that optical is a good solution to these)

Please elaborate on the solutions. !!

Offline JianYang

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 May 2018, 05:29:13 »
Well, it is usually in the design of the amplifier, so the user does not really have a lot of choices here. I usually also use balanced audio for everything. In fact, I once made an error in the PSU design, resulting in more of a noise generator than a PSU, it was very loud with single-ended,
but not even measurable (or audible) on the balanced output. It does however also require the design to be properly balanced and not introduce any common mode noise earlier in the processing chain.

Offline Deephouse_jedi

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:31:21 »
I would chec klipsch. Theyre decently priced for great SQ

Offline floatingskull

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 14:42:26 »
You can get a iFi DSD Micro that has amazing sound for headphones and can be used as a soundcard and passive volume control for external powered speakers. It's USB and has a Burr Brown DAC which are some of the best IMO.