Author Topic: Are Cherry-MX Silent sliders compatible with not-silent housings?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline lemur

• personal text
Hello!

I was having difficulty finding anything about this in searches... So I am asking..

Do CherryMX Silent switches retain their 'silence' in the housings of other CherryMX switches?

i.e. I acquire a normal MX black board that allows for switch top removal, I decide I want the alphas to be 'silent' and pop in some silent sliders into it?
keyboards

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: Are Cherry-MX Silent sliders compatible with not-silent housings?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 09:58:33 »
Yes.

The silencing is on the stem.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 01:50:41 »
I went the opposite direction and replaced all of the silent red switches on a Cherry G80-3494 with brown switches by just replacing the tops, sliders, and springs.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 15:08:15 »
They work with other cherry housing but not all gateron housing just posting it fyi.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline lemur

• personal text
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 18:08:13 »
thanks folks..

i had tried them in some non-cherry housings and while the switches did actuate, they lost the silent part because of protrusions in the bottom housing.

good to know they can be moved around!
keyboards