Author Topic: Cherry MX Silent modification.  (Read 2478 times)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
Cherry MX Silent modification.
« on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 11:42:21 »
Does not work. Sry

Hello fellow geeks,

in this topic i will tell you how to modify mx silent stem to make it smooth.

Introduction
As many of you know silent switches are quite for a while in the game but they dont have that bright popularity. Its quite obvious that the silent mx switches are more "scratchy" than retooled or vintage switches. There are also other factors like reduced stem travel but those are not as significant as that scratchy feel.

Cause
So what does caus that scratchy feel. Well if you ask me its not "scratchy" actually. Its the rubber extensions on the stem SLIDER causing friction. This is why people call it a mushy feel.

Solution
The solution is actualy simple. You need to clippoff those rubber extensions from the stem slider. However you should better watch following instagram video of mine:
How to clipp off
As you can see i have clipped off the upper rubber at some angle (approx 45 degree) in order to keep some rubber on top. This way the upstroke will be kept silent as the down stroke.
How it sounds

typing test: read video description!

Conclusion
Pretty sure this modification will make the silent switches little bit popular. Also its kind of safer to go for silent with this modification since retooled switches are kind of inconsistent (in case of scratchiness) which force me for example always to sort out heavily. I sometime think retooled are mixed with old scratchy cherry switches. Compared to vintage switches. Well there is not much to say because depending on usage vintages can be smoother anyway. However you should always keep in mind new switches have greater ressources and will last longer.

My personal opinion to this is: I can imagine to make some silent boards, tho i actually prefer non silent switches. Non silent switches have that satisfying bottom out. But you know its absurd at this point to talk like this since these are silent switches.  :p

Hope you liked my writeup.

Keep that sneaky geeking my dudes  ;)
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2018, 11:13:20 by T0mb3ry »

Offline kiwi99

• that's a gnarly dookie
  • authentic church of halverson member
Re: Cherry MX Silent modification.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 12:08:41 »
any chance you could provide a sound comparison? doesn't clipping off the dampening parts on the stems sort of "unsilence" them  :p interesting if they're still as silent.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 12:29:10 »
any chance you could provide a sound comparison? doesn't clipping off the dampening parts on the stems sort of "unsilence" them  :p interesting if they're still as silent.
Nope its still silent ;)

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 13:04:48 »
I did the test on a switch and I must say that the feeling you're talking about is almost completely reduced.

NICE moded...  :thumb:

KMK Labs.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 13:21:22 »
Also tried it.
  • Very inconsistent sound.
  • Does nothing to improve feel -- I'd say it's worse. Retools are miles better.
  • Travel is longer since the stem sits higher, and goes lower.
Overall, it's bad. Not worth anyone's time.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 13:39:56 »
Also tried it.
  • Very inconsistent sound.
  • Does nothing to improve feel -- I'd say it's worse. Retools are miles better.
  • Travel is longer since the stem sits higher, and goes lower.
Overall, it's bad. Not worth anyone's time.

Honestly i've different experience.

But well silent switches are also quite niche.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 19:27:12 »
neat
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 19:47:29 »
I tried it. Still scratchy for me

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 21:16:22 »
why cut off what makes silent switches silent??? Just get normal switches
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 22:19:43 »
why cut off what makes silent switches silent??? Just get normal switches

They are still dampened after the modification.  Even good flush cutters don’t get all of the material

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 23:36:23 »
I tried it. Still scratchy for me
Lubing and sorting is still requiered. I got for example some switches still scratchy after moding too. Keep in mind this mod does not take away the scratchy feeling. It does reduce the mushy feeling caused by the rubber greatly. If the stem is scratchy then its scratchy you have to sort it out.

Anyway this mod requires far more effort than every other alternative.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2018, 23:45:25 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 02:13:18 »
In the unmodified switches, does the rubberized part of the stem rub against the "internal slider" of the switch top?
I'm trying to understand where the "mushy" feeling comes from. Probably just from the bottoming out? GMK clips and o-rings are crispier.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2018, 04:12:47 by Giorgio »

Offline mtuanvu

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 03:38:38 »
Nope its still silent ;)

Well, mine is different, it's not silent anymore

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 11:08:07 »
Ok forget this mod. It was a nice try. I did today another batch of switches and they are awefully scratchy.

Previously i made few switches in their original housings and they were fine for what ever reason. Since my board with top removal cutouts has vintage switches, i swapped the stems for testing. It was fine. As i said today i did another batch in their orgininal housings and they there really bad. Dont waste your time.

Sorry for the making false hope to utilize silent switches...  :'(