Author Topic: Deskthority "Club" Membership - Any Thoughts?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Deskthority "Club" Membership - Any Thoughts?
« on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 00:18:52 »
I just noticed this over at DT, and was wondering what people were thinking about it.

http://deskthority.net/deskthority-club-f38/

With the understanding that a number of people will immediately respond, "we're not DT, so who cares?" I would respond -- they have a good forum too, and if they do something new or different, we should seriously consider whether it would be a good idea for GH. Not surprisingly, I would be in favor of some form of membership program, if only to raise enough money to offset:

1. Server upgrades, maintenance.
2. Groupbuy support.
3. Community-sourced projects.

I don't know if I would go so far as to make GH a democracy -- nah, I wouldn't -- but I think this is a kickass enough place to donate $5-$10 per year in order to call myself a member. I've definitely gotten way more than that amount in terms of fellowship, knowledge and enjoyment. The DT implementation doesn't require membership to access their forum, and I don't think GH would or should, either.

So what would membership mean? I don't know -- maybe it would mean the right to vote in club decisions. Those votes wouldn't decide the direction of GH, or decide what happens (that's up to the owner) but at least it would represent the wishes of people who are fully invested in the club.

What do you guys think? If a 'membership' option were wise, what would it look like? And if it's not a wise choice, why not?

Aaaaaaaaand........ (dramatic pause) .... discuss.

GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Deskthority "Club" Membership - Any Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 00:26:19 »
how much do we get in donations every month so far?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 00:42:24 »
how much do we get in donations every month so far?

No clue.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 00:53:28 »
I would be willing to pay a small fee every year to have a membership.  I've been on a few sites in the past that do something similar, where membership gets access to special perks (live shows, t-shirts, etc.) and that worked well for those particular sites and their models.  I have no idea if it would work for geekhack, but I would be in favor of pursuing something like that.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 01:09:50 »
live shows 0.0

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 02:14:58 »
I would pay to support this site.  But do we really need "members"?  Seems pretentious and unnecessary.  Plus running anything by committee is a disaster.  The mkawa dictatorship that we have now is not perfect, but it's better than a management committee, trust me on this one.  Also, I don't want to do any work, or have any responsibilities when I'm on GH.  I have enough of that already, IRL.  Although I am happy to give GH my money.  But, I wasn't aware GH needed money?  Does GH need money?  If yes, then a fundraiser would be a better idea.  I will kick in some $.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 02:19:44 »
Pretty sure there's more than kawa doing any decision making, tbh.

For the most part.

* tjcaustin eyeballs the Fiat section

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 09:31:48 »
I'm quite new to this forum, but have already learned a ton from you all. I'd happily contribute some relatively small ($10-25) yearly amount without pause.

I don't necessarily think that perks that have real monetary value need be involved, e.g. t-shirts. I also don't love the idea of creating a separate class. A "GH Supporter" badge that you could put in a signature or something would be more than enough.

Edit: to be clear, I know that you can donate to GH already, but some kind of subscription service and a very small amount of ceremony around it would go a long way to getting more supporters.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 December 2013, 09:33:19 by riotonthebay »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 09:37:57 »
I would pay to support this site.  But do we really need "members"?  Seems pretentious and unnecessary.  Plus running anything by committee is a disaster.  The mkawa dictatorship that we have now is not perfect, but it's better than a management committee, trust me on this one.  Also, I don't want to do any work, or have any responsibilities when I'm on GH.  I have enough of that already, IRL.  Although I am happy to give GH my money.  But, I wasn't aware GH needed money?  Does GH need money?  If yes, then a fundraiser would be a better idea.  I will kick in some $.

Isn't mkawa doing an auction right now to raise money?

Also I'd like to buy some posts instead of being in a club.

Or lets pay to be mods for a day!

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 09:41:05 »
I just noticed this over at DT, and was wondering what people were thinking about it.

http://deskthority.net/deskthority-club-f38/

With the understanding that a number of people will immediately respond, "we're not DT, so who cares?" I would respond -- they have a good forum too, and if they do something new or different, we should seriously consider whether it would be a good idea for GH. Not surprisingly, I would be in favor of some form of membership program, if only to raise enough money to offset:

1. Server upgrades, maintenance.
2. Groupbuy support.
3. Community-sourced projects.

I don't know if I would go so far as to make GH a democracy -- nah, I wouldn't -- but I think this is a kickass enough place to donate $5-$10 per year in order to call myself a member. I've definitely gotten way more than that amount in terms of fellowship, knowledge and enjoyment. The DT implementation doesn't require membership to access their forum, and I don't think GH would or should, either.

So what would membership mean? I don't know -- maybe it would mean the right to vote in club decisions. Those votes wouldn't decide the direction of GH, or decide what happens (that's up to the owner) but at least it would represent the wishes of people who are fully invested in the club.

What do you guys think? If a 'membership' option were wise, what would it look like? And if it's not a wise choice, why not?

Aaaaaaaaand........ (dramatic pause) .... discuss.

They have a good forum and it helps offset costs. I joined, if only to keep them going. I've also purchased items from individuals on their site and payment was requested to directly go to a fund to keep the site going.

I don't care if it is called a membership or not but I would be happy to contribute funds to keep the board going. I'm on a few others that I had to do the same to offset the costs of running the board. If something was offered about the financial status of this board and how much was needed to keep it going I will be happy to contribute.