« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:58:39 by esoomenona »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: Change Group Buys forum name to Group Scams
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:02:58 »
Is there a particular vendor / GB that you want reviewed?  PM me so we can discuss.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:05:52 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:58:46 by esoomenona »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:08:02 »
well at least you're getting a better response time than i did =/
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:14:39 »
We are working to improve the GB process to help prevent something bad happening in the first place, but surely you can agree that it's not 100% possible to eliminate all wrongdoings?  The only way to remove all scams from GH is to remove all monetary transactions (which some people wouldn't mind), but I don't see that happening any time soon.

So at this point we have to let the community decide who they trust to run GBs, and sometimes we don't have the best judgment.  But like I said, we have plans in the works to implement requirements to start GBs, similar to the classifieds subforum.  Unfortunately, however, we cannot undo mistakes that have already taken place.

Or did you have a different point entirely?

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:46:36 »
As a noob can anyone give me a heads up. Recently caught the keycap addiction and curious if theirs any pointers about group buys after reading the title.
eh o well

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:50:24 »
As a noob can anyone give me a heads up. Recently caught the keycap addiction and curious if theirs any pointers about group buys after reading the title.

trust PMK
trust ivan
trust elton

if you see somebody running a gb, click on their name and go through the topics they've started and see if they've ran successful group buys before, if they have, go for it. if they haven't, well, it's up to you to take a chance on it.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:55:41 »
Think we can add Bunny to that list, demik.

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 00:57:47 »

trust PMK
trust ivan
trust elton

if you see somebody running a gb, click on their name and go through the topics they've started and see if they've ran successful group buys before, if they have, go for it. if they haven't, well, it's up to you to take a chance on it.

Thank you much good sir.  Joined my first gb with the pulse set and I was worried for a sec.
eh o well

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 01:25:07 »

well there are a couple im sure i'm missing, only mention pmk because their system is great.

ivan because i was thinking of dolch and elton because im in one of his gbs and he's already ran 2 (or maybe more?) duck gb's.

like ****ing super hero of GB's tj that tries to save group buys
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 01:27:21 by demik »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 01:34:07 »
What would a review consist of? "Yep, it's a scam. Oh well. Caveat emptor lol."

While the review is reactive to something that has already happened, it would assess if the GB starter should be allowed to organize future GBs and -- depending on the situation -- if the GB starter should no longer be allowed to participate in this community.

As Hoff mentioned, we are working on measures to improve GBs.  It is our hope that these improvements (e.g. the requirements to organize a GB) would lead to a better GB experience for GH users.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 04:31:40 »

And daniel!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 04:51:28 »
While the review is reactive to something that has already happened, it would assess if the GB starter should be allowed to organize future GBs and -- depending on the situation -- if the GB starter should no longer be allowed to participate in this community.

As Hoff mentioned, we are working on measures to improve GBs.  It is our hope that these improvements (e.g. the requirements to organize a GB) would lead to a better GB experience for GH users.

Maybe I missed this somewhere but is there an ETA as to when these improvements/requirements would go into effect?  Just a rough ballpark would be nice.  Is it something we'll see before next month?  Next year?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 06:39:42 »

And daniel!

What exactly has he done? Just curious.

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 06:46:42 »

And daniel!

That list refers to people that you can trust btw :))

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 06:48:18 »

And daniel!

Right, I've never seen daniel run a group buy or anything really. And I know he has admitted himself he is terribly slow at shipping things etc.

Offline kitsun8

• In need of some cash
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 06:50:26 »

And daniel!

Right, I've never seen daniel run a group buy or anything really. And I know he has admitted himself he is terribly slow at shipping things etc.
I haven't bought off him personally but i am bribing him to join a potential group buy ;D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:03:33 »
Too many daniels around without listing the full username  :))

Anyway, as far as who to trust to run group buys etc, that is indeed a hard call to make because we are all human and life has a way of interrupting at the most inopportune times.

Sad that I wasn't around when demik and hashbaz ran group buys.  8)
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:08:42 by SpAmRaY »

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 07:57:46 »
I welcome said changes to the group buy section ... It's always had kind of a wild-west sort of feel. As someone who plans to run more group buys, anything we can do to give people further assurances about who is legit is definitely worthwhile since it will likely result in more people participating in the buys.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 08:02:22 »
I think that in addition to research like demik said, people should feel free to ask someone they trust on the forums if they should join a buy. For example, if you like HoffmanMyster, perhaps send him a PM. Say hey, CPTBadAss is running a buy, should I trust him?

I've only run one group buy and I'm glad that people felt safe buying from me.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 October 2014, 17:28:52 »

And daniel!

danielucf, btw.

For the sake of completeness, I've been part of a couple of GBs he's run, and I didn't have any problem with them.

Although I have been made aware that there have been some issues with some transactions that he has been part of.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 03:08:35 »
We are working to improve the GB process to help prevent something bad happening in the first place, but surely you can agree that it's not 100% possible to eliminate all wrongdoings?  The only way to remove all scams from GH is to remove all monetary transactions (which some people wouldn't mind), but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I would disagree with this point.  It is entirely possible to almost completely elminate all scams.  How?  Have an escrow account for all GBs that GH or a trusted individual/company has control over.  The escrow account collects the fees and pays the third party once all payments have been collected.  That way, the individual organizing the buy never gets to touch the money and all expenses are covered.  Add in a small "service fee" for the service and you help cover the costs for GH, help cover any unknown expenses, and protect the buyers from unscrupulous group buy organizers.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 05:04:53 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 18:59:04 by esoomenona »

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 06:37:19 »
Or we then proceed to get scammed by geekhack itself....

Times i have been scammed by GH: 0
Times i have been scammed by Reddit: 1

But seriously i think a new badge/star should be created for trusted Group Buy leaders. So many buys i want to jump into but i am definitely weary. I tend to stalk the user who runs the GB's post history to help feel him out.   
sell out and eat ass

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 19:50:12 »
thats why i only trust myself.

if i **** myself over at least i know where i live