Author Topic: Transplanting regular rubber domes into a Topre board  (Read 4407 times)

Offline 1391406

Transplanting regular rubber domes into a Topre board
« on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:15:00 »
I'm curious if anyone has ever attempted it?

Yes, I know. Madness... Why would anyone ever consider transplanting regular rubber domes into a $200+ keyboard? It totally defeats the purpose. The answer, just to see if it can be done and whether the result would feel the same as a regular rubber dome. After all, Topre itself is a hybrid. The switch would still be a hybrid even if using regular rubber domes, thus perhaps it would feel different than a membrane based board.

Incidentally, I have a Type Heaven that I harvested the 45g domes from that I'll probably try this experiment on. It now has the 55g domes and springs from my 87U.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Transplanting regular rubber domes into a Topre board
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:18:11 »
Hey at least then it'd feel better to type on
I love Elzy

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:26:54 »
The ones that I've seen would not fit, and even if they fitted, would they even work?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 1391406

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 02:36:44 »
The ones that I've seen would not fit, and even if they fitted, would they even work?

If the springs actually fit, I don't see why it wouldn't work.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 07:35:37 »
Hey at least then it'd feel better to type on

Damn

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 07:42:33 »

Yes, I know. Madness... Why would anyone ever consider transplanting regular rubber domes into a $200+ keyboard? It totally defeats the purpose. The answer, just to see if it can be done and whether the result would feel the same as a regular rubber dome. After all, Topre itself is a hybrid. The switch would still be a hybrid even if using regular rubber domes, thus perhaps it would feel different than a membrane based board.

Incidentally, I have a Type Heaven that I harvested the 45g domes from that I'll probably try this experiment on. It now has the 55g domes and springs from my 87U.
what do you mean hybrid?

topre is a capacitive-sense keyboard that uses rubber domes for tactility and key-return
'standard' rubber domes use rubber domes for the same purpose but instead of cap-sense for keypress detection they use an electrical membrane
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline 1391406

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:00:34 »

what do you mean hybrid?

topre is a capacitive-sense keyboard that uses rubber domes for tactility and key-return
'standard' rubber domes use rubber domes for the same purpose but instead of cap-sense for keypress detection they use an electrical membrane

Prior to Topre, how many capacitive keyboards used rubber domes, and how many standard rubber dome keyboards employed the use of a capacitive mechanism?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:04:16 »

what do you mean hybrid?

Prior to Topre, how many capacitive keyboards used rubber domes, and how many standard rubber dome keyboards employed the use of a capacitive mechanism?

i dont know how many capacitive keyboards used rubber domes, at least 1 (an IBM of HaaTa's that i've used once).
when i say 'standard' i am referring to RDOMS or rubber-dome-over-membrane-switch. so... by my definition, zero 'standard'  rubber dome keyboards employed the use of a capacitive mechanism. 

like I said IBM had a capacitive rubber dome board but i forget the model. topre basically took the concept and ran with it exclusively. not sure if they were involved in designing IBM's board or not.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:05:30 »
basically what i'm getting at is that by calling rubber dome + capacitive a hybrid, we could also say that a cherry mx switch is hybrid (metal leaf contact switch + actuation/return spring + plastic bump for tactility) - it is a hybridization of mechanical technologies but that's not what most people would consider a hybrid, i think.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:09:51 »

what do you mean hybrid?

i dont know how many capacitive keyboards used rubber domes, at least 1 (an IBM of HaaTa's that i've used once).
when i say 'standard' i am referring to RDOMS or rubber-dome-over-membrane-switch. so... by my definition, zero 'standard'  rubber dome keyboards employed the use of a capacitive mechanism. 

like I said IBM had a capacitive rubber dome board but i forget the model. topre basically took the concept and ran with it exclusively. not sure if they were involved in designing IBM's board or not.

Hybrid : Something that is formed by combining two or more things

Would anyone argue that Topre combines rubber domes with capacitive technology?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:11:52 »

what do you mean hybrid?

yeah that's my point - by that definition any switch is a hybrid switch

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:13:21 »
anyways i just came in here to get pedantic have fun with this project

Offline 1391406

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:46:50 »

what do you mean hybrid?

yeah that's my point - by that definition any switch is a hybrid switch

In the sense I'm using it, it carries the connotation of being composed of two diverse elements and derived from incongruous sources. Rubber domes have been around for a long time. Rarely (if at all) have they been combined with a capacitive switch. Mechanical switches are nothing new.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 08:56:35 »
EK's own marketing refers to it as a hybrid, as well:

"Topre capacitive key switches are a patented hybrid between a mechanical spring based switch, a rubber dome switch, and a capacitive sensor which, combined, provide tactility, comfort, and excellent durability."
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2016, 09:05:58 by 1391406 »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 09:36:49 »

"Topre capacitive key switches are a patented hybrid between a mechanical spring based switch, a rubber dome switch, and a capacitive sensor which, combined, provide tactility, comfort, and excellent durability."

i wish i cared enough to explain why that is a horrible bit of marketing copy

Offline 1391406

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 09:54:16 »

i wish i cared enough to explain why that is a horrible bit of marketing copy

Topre is commonly referred to as a hybrid from multiple sources(including Tom's Hardware), not just EK. You're obviously free to think whatever you like.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 January 2016, 09:57:12 by 1391406 »

Offline Bucake

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 12:47:16 »

how did it feel?
because i'm curious if there are RD boards out there that feel as good, or better than Topre boards.
the only other RD boards i've typed on myself were low-quality flimsy things with thin, low quality keycaps and mushy inconsistent rubber domes (over membrane). and naturally, lightweight plastic cases.
so yeah, how was the IBM one?
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline Polymer

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:29:59 »
There are some really nice rubber dome keyboards out there that are solid and smooth like Topre..but they're not quite as nice...

The feel is just not as refined and most are still require you to bottom out so the response time is not quite the same...and they're missing the sound too....

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:39:53 »

how did it feel?
because i'm curious if there are RD boards out there that feel as good, or better than Topre boards.
the only other RD boards i've typed on myself were low-quality flimsy things with thin, low quality keycaps and mushy inconsistent rubber domes (over membrane). and naturally, lightweight plastic cases.
so yeah, how was the IBM one?

the ibm was nice from what i remember. it felt like a 45g-ish unsilenced topre. i can't recall if it had a plastic or metal plate.
there is another thread that discusses high quality rubber domes but i dont have a link handy right now.
i wish i could remember what the keycaps were like and (more importantly) how they attach to the keyboard, and whether they were 1pc or had a multiple piece barrel system like topre keys.

paging haata or parak!!!

Offline 1391406

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 10:32:24 »
Just finished swapping the regular rubber domes into the Type Heaven, and the verdict is ... it works. Of course, it took me a few hours to center and re-center the rubber domes to properly actuate, but when it was all said and done, it did indeed work. The feel is akin to MX Browns, but smoother and without the small bit of scratchiness. However, it doesn't bottom out as softly as Topre domes; it's a bit more abrupt. Further, because it's so difficult centering the domes correctly on the PCB, the feel of the keys and travel distance  aren't consistent across the board. Further, the key presses feel different in the Type Heaven case compared to the Microsoft case.

Not a valid vimeo URL
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 January 2016, 10:33:57 by 1391406 »