Author Topic: [IC] NovelPro - A New Keycap Profile from NovelKeys  (Read 97819 times)

Offline Theswetiyeti

Re: [IC] NovelPro - A New Keycap Profile from NovelKeys
« Reply #300 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 09:10:58 »
Very interested in this.

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #301 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 09:22:16 »
My only suggestion for this project, since it is double-shot and will have to be engraved with no changes to be made to the mold, is to improve the font consistency over what signature plastics is doing. For the modifier keys, the font size, kerning, tracking, and horizontal scaling (condensed vs. extended font appearance) should be consistent over the entire keyset. If you look at SP's modifiers, they are all over the map in terms of font size, scaling, tracking, etc. When new keys are added, which needs a new mold, the weight of the font changes. None of this is really acceptable, but as hobbyists we live with it because there is no other option.

So my suggestion is to force the manu to adhere to consistency in the area of typography. If a larger text will not fit on a keycap, then it is better to reduce font size than to "squish" the font horizontal scaling or to radically change the tracking. In some cases abbreviation is better than changing the consistency of the sizing. All of the modifiers should have the same font size and properties unless there is a good reason why it needs to be changed, like single character modifiers which can be enlarged to maintain the same "visual weight" as the other key designs.

I can post pics if needed but all one has to do is look at the difference between renderings of SP SA keysets, and the actual keyset. The renders always look better because the designer can maintain font consistency.

Good luck with the project, wish you the best of luck.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #302 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 14:13:44 »
I'd like to have a Function key in the C row to replace Caps Lock, but I wouldn't do that by removing Control.  Right now you have centered and staggered versions of both "CAPS LOCK" and "CTRL".  I'd keep both centered and staggered "CAPS LOCK", and have the alternatives be centered "CONTROL" and "FUNCTION" (so lose the staggered ctrl, change the centered ctrl's legend to not be abbreviated, since it no longer needs to match the truncated one on the staggered key, and add a centered function).  Then you have all three legends available, and still have a staggered cap for boards that need it.

Offline e11i0t23

« Reply #303 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 17:14:04 »
Both profile and colour scheme interest me, would build an ANSI board just to try these out. Also nice to see a set of POM.

Offline Damage

« Reply #304 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 20:02:50 »
This is looking really good. Curious about POM. Why choose that, and what would one expect from it vs. ABS or PBT?

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 07:12:45 »
My only suggestion for this project, since it is double-shot and will have to be engraved with no changes to be made to the mold, is to improve the font consistency over what signature plastics is doing. For the modifier keys, the font size, kerning, tracking, and horizontal scaling (condensed vs. extended font appearance) should be consistent over the entire keyset. If you look at SP's modifiers, they are all over the map in terms of font size, scaling, tracking, etc. When new keys are added, which needs a new mold, the weight of the font changes. None of this is really acceptable, but as hobbyists we live with it because there is no other option.

So my suggestion is to force the manu to adhere to consistency in the area of typography. If a larger text will not fit on a keycap, then it is better to reduce font size than to "squish" the font horizontal scaling or to radically change the tracking. In some cases abbreviation is better than changing the consistency of the sizing. All of the modifiers should have the same font size and properties unless there is a good reason why it needs to be changed, like single character modifiers which can be enlarged to maintain the same "visual weight" as the other key designs.

I can post pics if needed but all one has to do is look at the difference between renderings of SP SA keysets, and the actual keyset. The renders always look better because the designer can maintain font consistency.

Thats definitely the goal!

I'd like to have a Function key in the C row to replace Caps Lock, but I wouldn't do that by removing Control.  Right now you have centered and staggered versions of both "CAPS LOCK" and "CTRL".  I'd keep both centered and staggered "CAPS LOCK", and have the alternatives be centered "CONTROL" and "FUNCTION" (so lose the staggered ctrl, change the centered ctrl's legend to not be abbreviated, since it no longer needs to match the truncated one on the staggered key, and add a centered function).  Then you have all three legends available, and still have a staggered cap for boards that need it.

I like this idea, and I think thats a good change.

This is looking really good. Curious about POM. Why choose that, and what would one expect from it vs. ABS or PBT?

POM gives you a different feeling than the other plastics do, along with a different sound.

Offline holtenc

« Reply #306 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 07:54:10 »
1.25u row D for those 40% users. Looks like it's pretty much got the right sizes on other rows.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #307 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 09:24:59 »
1.25u row D for those 40% users. Looks like it's pretty much got the right sizes on other rows.

:) What should the legend say for the 1.25 key? Seems like its doable.

Offline nuclear_wizard

« Reply #308 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 09:37:01 »
Is that a 7.5u spacebar in the initial kit? If we're looking to trim some fat to free up space for less common layouts, my vote would be to boot that first. What board even uses that long of a spacebar?
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 March 2019, 09:48:44 by nuclear_wizard »

Offline holtenc

« Reply #309 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 09:48:21 »

:) What should the legend say for the 1.25 key? Seems like its doable.
SHIF T.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #310 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 10:13:17 »
Is that a 7.5u spacebar in the initial kit? If we're looking to trim some fat to free up space for less common layouts, my vote would be to boot that first. What board even uses that long of a spacebar?

On the bottom it’s 6.5, 7, 6.

6.5 for compatibility for Razer.

Offline nuclear_wizard

« Reply #311 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 10:59:33 »

Ah okay thanks. Do you think Razer owners will be a big enough demographic for the new profile to justify the 6.5u key on it's own?

Offline mwahlig

« Reply #312 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 19:54:26 »

Nice! That'll help fill out a Planck a bit more.

Do you think a complete Planck kit will be offered in the future (including C raise/lower, D enter/shift, C esc, B tab, 2u space, etc)?

Really looking forward to trying these out, great work!

I need to figure out exactly how many keys need to be added for Ortho support. I think it could be a worth while kit add on, especially when I look at DSA Milkshake Ortho kits sold.

Give me some time to figure out how many keycaps are needed for Ortho.

Sounds great, thanks!

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #313 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 21:28:09 »

Ah okay thanks. Do you think Razer owners will be a big enough demographic for the new profile to justify the 6.5u key on it's own?

Yes. There really isn’t any custom keycaps that are compatible with Razer, and it’s definitely one of the biggest keyboard markets. Definitely worth investing for the 1 space bar.

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #314 on: Wed, 20 March 2019, 21:36:52 »
POM? Yes pls.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #315 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 01:59:47 »
how would this compare to MT3 ?
 is the surface area of the tops smaller or larger compared to SA and MT3 ?

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #316 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 14:00:14 »
how would this compare to MT3 ?
 is the surface area of the tops smaller or larger compared to SA and MT3 ?

A detailed comparison with other popular profiles would be really interesting.  Like what zFrontier did for their KAT and KAM (uniform KAT) profiles.  Their KAM page has a top view comparing home row surface dimensions with DSA's, while their KAT page has several images comparing sculpted profile with SA and Cherry. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 March 2019, 17:03:32 by dvorcol »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #317 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 19:25:23 »
I'm gonna be blunt, I'm not really digging the fact that it's less cuppy than even SA profile now.  I'm too lazy to dig through the thread but I feel like at some point there was the idea of making the cups Topre Hipro-esque, which I think would be the way to go.

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #318 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 19:30:12 »
I'm gonna be blunt, I'm not really digging the fact that it's less cuppy than even SA profile now.  I'm too lazy to dig through the thread but I feel like at some point there was the idea of making the cups Topre Hipro-esque, which I think would be the way to go.

+1

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #319 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 21:15:13 »

The design of the actual keycaps is finished. We went through a couple renditions of 3D printed keycaps, and these feel really nice.

We brought the protos to several meetups, and really only heard positive feedback about the cup, and sculpt.

Offline tectonicplate

« Reply #320 on: Thu, 21 March 2019, 22:14:01 »

Thats definitely the goal!

I agree, typographic refinement is often overlooked by many when it comes to legends. And if only one change could be made, please don't use to vastly overweight asterisk in the numrow or numpad… it crushes my soul every time. Looking forward to see where this goes. Thanks!

Offline Tefrem34

« Reply #321 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 21:22:41 »
R3 set option for ortho boards please!!!

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #322 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 16:33:30 »
Okay, here is our proposed final kit. There are a lot of changes, and we have coverage for almost all boards.

Ortho, 40's should be covered for the most part. If you see something that is glaringly messed up, please let me know.

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2019, 08:54:41 by mgsickler »

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #323 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 16:43:12 »
Okay, here is our proposed final kit. There are a lot of changes, and we have coverage for almost all boards.

Ortho, 40's should be covered for the most part. If you see something that is glaringly messed up, please let me know.

Show Image

Are you still taking input on the coloway? I'd personally be elated to have a Honeywell option.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #324 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 16:44:24 »
This looks like a weird type of profile.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #325 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 17:02:00 »

Show Image

Are you still taking input on the coloway? I'd personally be elated to have a Honeywell option.

Colorways aren’t really being thought about just yet.

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #326 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 22:56:44 »
Really glad there is a 1u Backspace! Great compatibility overall.

Offline KevinSanToast

« Reply #327 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 23:01:51 »
I supposed ergodox support would be out of scope at this moment, huh.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #328 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 02:05:10 »
If you see something that is glaringly messed up, please let me know.

<insert obligatory ISO comment here>

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #329 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 06:54:32 »
I supposed ergodox support would be out of scope at this moment, huh.

Yea, thats a little intense to get done.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #330 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 06:58:50 »
Hold on a minute. Razer BlackWidow and Huntsman have 6u space bars. They are not 6.5u.
There are however several other gaming brands that do use 6.5u space bars. For instance, Corsair.

Razer BlackWidow and other modern keyboards have a centred stem.
Some older Cherry keyboards in the G80 series have an off-centred stem however. It should be possible to support both: The Cherry-compatible key stem will clear the centred switch on the BlackWidow.
Some (if not all) Razer keyboards with 6u do have the stabiliser stems farther apart than others though. I am not sure about the Huntsman's measurements, but I know that at least older Razer BlackWidow do have stabiliser stems wider apart but they do use Costar-style stabilisers, so it might not matter that much.

While Razer BlackWidow is a very popular keyboard, I think that is primarily because of availability: as it has been widely available in retail, and an entry into mechanical keyboards for many people. Once they are in, they may want to buy a better one. Putting high-quality keycaps on a Razer keyboard (with wide stabilisers) would be like putting lipstick on a pig IMHO.

When the Space Bar is 6u then there are two 1u modifier keys in-between right Alt and right Control.
These are often Windows+Menu, Windows+Fn, Fn+Menu or Windows+Compose.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 April 2019, 07:52:01 by Findecanor »

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #331 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 09:10:56 »
Hold on a minute. Razer BlackWidow and Huntsman have 6u space bars. They are not 6.5u.
There are however several other gaming brands that do use 6.5u space bars. For instance, Corsair.

Razer BlackWidow and other modern keyboards have a centred stem.
Some older Cherry keyboards in the G80 series have an off-centred stem however. It should be possible to support both: The Cherry-compatible key stem will clear the centred switch on the BlackWidow.
Some (if not all) Razer keyboards with 6u do have the stabiliser stems farther apart than others though. I am not sure about the Huntsman's measurements, but I know that at least older Razer BlackWidow do have stabiliser stems wider apart but they do use Costar-style stabilisers, so it might not matter that much.

While Razer BlackWidow is a very popular keyboard, I think that is primarily because of availability: as it has been widely available in retail, and an entry into mechanical keyboards for many people. Once they are in, they may want to buy a better one. Putting high-quality keycaps on a Razer keyboard (with wide stabilisers) would be like putting lipstick on a pig IMHO.

When the Space Bar is 6u then there are two 1u modifier keys in-between right Alt and right Control.
These are often Windows+Menu, Windows+Fn, Fn+Menu or Windows+Compose.

Thanks for the clarification on the spacebar. I will double check out mounts and make sure we are good to go on that front.

As far as the 1u keycaps, we have a good amount of 1u row c keycaps that will work for the space. It may not be the exact text, but it will be compatible with the sizing.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #332 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 09:37:39 »
As far as the 1u keycaps, we have a good amount of 1u row c keycaps that will work for the space. It may not be the exact text, but it will be compatible with the sizing.
If you're not taking any more input, then why the hell do you ask!?

Offline mgsickler

[IC] NovelPro - A New Keycap Profile from NovelKeys
« Reply #333 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 10:02:23 »
If you're not taking any more input, then why the hell do you ask!?

I’m not sure what’s with the hostility, but taking input does not mean automatically changing the kit.

I have to weigh out the pros and cons of adding additional keycaps. This kit will still work on those keyboards, and that’s the important part.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #334 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 17:48:31 »
Kit looks pretty solid, I'm sure compatibility is missing here and there for some random keyboard but as I far as I can tell it covers the popular stuff.  And regarding colorways I second the notion of honeywell.  It's a safe colorway but not quite as tired as granite.

Offline moh18one

« Reply #335 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 18:55:48 »
Since some PCB and keyboards support 2*3U spacebars it would be great to have a second one in the kit (if it is doable). This new profile looks really promising!
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 April 2019, 19:03:17 by moh18one »

Offline jazzjarred

« Reply #336 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 06:22:44 »

Show Image

For ortho support 2x1u + 1x2u spaces are pretty standard should be included:

https://massdrop-s3.imgix.net/product-images/massdrop-x-mito-mt3-godspeed-custom-keycap-set/FP/A3ZZDXXgTZCxHJghGr9r_6%20-%20apollo%20ortho.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg&fit=crop&w=473&bg=f0f0f0&dpr=2

Offline Tefrem34

« Reply #337 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 16:18:46 »
Later down the road will there be an option to have a R3 kit made for us that use Ortho and none standard layouts?
Thanks.

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #338 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 16:26:23 »
row4 1u enter and row3 escape (instead of the caps lock, is that even present in any ortho kits?)
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 April 2019, 16:43:23 by scoopbb »

Offline sayingandparsing

« Reply #339 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 16:52:43 »
How thick are the caps planned to be? It would be nice to have more sets as thick as SA, or even more so, similar to Devlins. While that would increase the material price, thick caps tend to produce a much deeper thock.

Offline jortzii

« Reply #340 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 21:55:39 »
Somehow missed these until now, liking the look of the set so far.

I’d definitely be in for at least one kit, maybe more if there’s a sound test that really wows
Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline SargentRedbeard

« Reply #341 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 10:44:18 »
Seriously looking forward to this new profile!

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #342 on: Thu, 11 April 2019, 12:35:24 »
How thick are the caps planned to be? It would be nice to have more sets as thick as SA, or even more so, similar to Devlins. While that would increase the material price, thick caps tend to produce a much deeper thock.

Yes thicker like Devlin would be nice !

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #343 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 08:53:23 »
Latest update

We have currently placed an order with our manu for a small test run of two keycaps. We are getting the "A" and "Caps Lock" keycaps made up to make sure the quality is what we want.

Offline iaman

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 09:11:07 »
Latest update

We have currently placed an order with our manu for a small test run of two keycaps. We are getting the "A" and "Caps Lock" keycaps made up to make sure the quality is what we want.
Exciting!!!!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #345 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 09:22:41 »
Latest update

hmm... why didn't you have a space bar or enter key produced to check for warping?  I hope all goes well with the test run.  Always happy to see more options available for our hobby :)

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #346 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 09:25:13 »
Latest update

hmm... why didn't you have a space bar or enter key produced to check for warping?  I hope all goes well with the test run.  Always happy to see more options available for our hobby :)

Warping isnt as much of an issue (or as difficult to control) as making sure that legends are accurate and uniform.

Offline aslanxdeft

« Reply #347 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 13:49:00 »
Looks really promising  ;D

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #348 on: Wed, 15 May 2019, 14:50:55 »
looking good !
Would appreciate shots that show the thickness of the caps when the samples arrive !

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #349 on: Thu, 16 May 2019, 07:18:39 »
looking good !
Would appreciate shots that show the thickness of the caps when the samples arrive !

Definitely will take some good shots once they arrive. Most likely looking at 10-12 weeks out.