Author Topic: Number Pad Order  (Read 2902 times)

Offline xudongz

• Personal Site
Number Pad Order
« on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 00:01:13 »
Typically number pads have 7/8/9 on the top row, 4/5/6 on the next row, 1/2/3 on the bottom row. I have a custom keyboard with blank keycaps and am kind of inclined to reverse the order (1/2/3 on top, 4/5/6 on next row, 7/8/9 on the bottom row) so it's the same as the number pad on my phone. It's kind of strange that they are the opposite. I figured it would also be good for muscle memory for phone numbers and whatnot.

Has anyone else done this?
SliceMK | ErgoDox Wireless group buy round 2 running until November 16, 2021

Offline funkmon

Re: Number Pad Order
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 00:27:14 »
Actually yes, an old girlfriend had this; her part time job was some kind of secretary thing where she used both a calculator and a phone and would mix the stuff up. Well, she just at one point ripped off the keys to the calculator, I'm talking like one of the old ones with the paper that comes out of it and ****, and rearranged them to be like a phone. The problem was, of course, they were still the same numbers. She asked me how to fix it and I told her I don't understand that kind of stuff, so she put em back. Should be simple on a computer though.

Offline Rika

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 05:32:21 »
Actually yes, an old girlfriend had this; her part time job was some kind of secretary thing where she used both a calculator and a phone and would mix the stuff up. Well, she just at one point ripped off the keys to the calculator, I'm talking like one of the old ones with the paper that comes out of it and ****, and rearranged them to be like a phone. The problem was, of course, they were still the same numbers. She asked me how to fix it and I told her I don't understand that kind of stuff, so she put em back. Should be simple on a computer though.
I can imagine her going rage mode, being all proud and then a moment of realisation and panic as it dawns on her "the key isn't what gets typed?"

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 05:49:45 »

It's actually not hard to do though, you're only flipping the bottom to the top row, so you only cut 6 traces, and solder 6 wires total.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 06:18:12 »
I have never understood this either but have not done anything about it.  Far more time is spent using a computer so like funkmon's ex I would be trying to 'fix' my calculator and phone even though the keyboard is easier (changing firmware or rewiring if mechanical, autohotkey/karabiner/xbindkeys software remapping if that's not possible)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 06:51:14 »

Show Image

It's actually not hard to do though, you're only flipping the bottom to the top row, so you only cut 6 traces, and solder 6 wires total.

more likely only 2 the only problem being the fact that you would need to attach wires to a flex pcb matrix
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 07:22:23 »
you're only flipping the bottom to the top row, so you only cut 6 traces, and solder 6 wires total.[/size][/color]
Not all numpad keyboard matrices are uniform like that ...
... unless you are modifying a land-line phone and not the calculator. On a land-line phone, each key produces two tones: one for the row and one for the column.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2021, 07:24:23 by Findecanor »