Author Topic: [IC] PBT Toby  (Read 21552 times)

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
[IC] PBT Toby
« on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:13:58 »

PBT Toby is part face, part icon.
IC Form: https://forms.gle/b4WFrGEYTn66GpiZ8

Inspiration

This set is based on my buddy Toby, (https://www.instagram.com/barrett_creative/) a woodworker and solid meme of a guy.
The set has inspirations from woodworking, but also Toby's signature outfit. He has cameoed in some of my YouTube videos and streams, and has gained a cult following. 
I was a bit inspired by other face sets, but decided to go my own direction with how I portray the face and kept it more minimal to not impact kitting too heavily.

PBT toby incorporates calming flesh tones Alphas, golden and beard colored accents, and elegant green mods.

This idea was conceived as a late night meme, and then developed over time into a real thing. One night on discord we all changed our profile pictures and names to Toby and the idea was conceived to make all things Toby.
After that, It all started with a reddit post that got over 1k upvotes
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/m10dzy/my_good_bud_toby_just_got_into_keyboards_and/

Kitting

Kitting includes the iconic Toby face and Hat - E and I represent the eyes, B is the nose, and spacebar is the moustache/beard. It also includes standard color replacements for all of the meme keys so it can be used as a normal set as part of the base kit. Barebones ISO support is also included. I have an audience that is newer to keyboards, so I wanted to keep the kitting simple enough to incorporate many layouts, but not confuse anyone. There might be mistakes, and I'm open to suggestions.

Renders

on U80-A by Ramaworks

on Nemui by Bachoo
More

Isometria By Ebastler

Production

I currently am prototyping the set through a factory in china and will have prototypes to show off in the next month or so. This will be a dyesub PBT set. No matter what, I will be doing a limited run of 100 sets. I decided to run with a cheaper PBT set as I feel it fits the scuffed meme, and I don't really want to further bog down proper manufactures like GMK. There is a small chance I will run this as a group buy, depending on if the IC feedback warrants a greater production run than 100 sets. But I expect to have the set ready for an in stock sale by Q3 2021.

Pricing/Vendors

Vendors are still in progress but I am in talks with vendors that are comfortable running the set as in-stock or as a group buy. Toby himself is a woodworking vendor, so there is a decent chance if it remains as a 100 stock run we will ship through him.
The pricing is still TBD but I am aiming for $60 - $90 for the full base kit which should be reasonable provided my current factory quotes.

Colors

Final Thoughts
Special thanks to everyone in my discord that helped out with the designing!
Thanks to Toby for letting me use your face for this set, you are the best Anime character.
Yee haw to all the people in the Glarses Discord and on Reddit that encouraged me to make this low effort meme a medium effort set.
If you like the idea of this set - please fill out the IC form and consider joining my discord!

IC Form: https://forms.gle/b4WFrGEYTn66GpiZ8
Discord: https://discord.gg/kPfDvDwW6R

IDK how to do banners someone help me

« Last Edit: Thu, 01 April 2021, 11:16:55 by Hipyo »

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: [IC] PBT Toby
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:14:55 »
No

Offline Pontus

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:15:15 »
You actually did it

Offline yoot

• none
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:16:05 »
 :eek:

Offline swomi

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:16:56 »
Ah yes more face sets

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:18:03 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:19:37 by Shiba1337 »

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:18:14 »
gee another face set. It's almost as if it's not that funny anymore. please for the love of god why :(
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:18:56 »
Greg clone
When u gonna learn to rock climb? /s (Shiba and I are friends its ok)
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:09:14 by Hipyo »

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:21:24 »
No

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:23:17 »
No

Offline Bachoo

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:30:22 »
No.

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:30:38 »

Offline Alessio

• YT Channel
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:33:18 »
i get this is a meme, but aren't memes supposed to be funny.  :eek:

Offline andromache

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 15:45:08 »

Offline derpturtle

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:05:31 »
No. But if you really want to run this, please at least make it look more like a face. glwic

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:07:29 »
No
hmmmmm

Show Image

But Cluck is cute and has good novelties.

both are eh, but yeah, i would take cluck in a heart beat, there was good effort into it. chicken does good stuf
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline Loquerish

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:08:31 »
looks nice with or without the face :thumb:

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:16:06 »
No. But if you really want to run this, please at least make it look more like a face. glwic

Fair feedback, we played around with a more pronounced face but felt like it didn't add much to the set. The minimal eyes and nose really add to the stupidity of it, and make the base kit work as its own colors without needing a large extra kit. 

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:24:16 »
I'm sorry. No.

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:28:08 »
Y E S.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:30:25 »
not a face set type of a guy in general, but this one definitely is the least enjoyable of all of the ones I've seen. there is one based on a chicken (i am familiar with chickens), one based on no-face (I am familiar with no face), one based on gengar (I am familiar with some pokemon), one based on an AC villager (familiar), one based on a dog character (which I was not familiar with, but it was the first)...

But then this, seems to be based off of someone that only you know? Or I am misunderstanding something.

Offline HelloThisIsDog

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:31:36 »
I support this

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:35:42 »
if theres already going to be a limited run then why is there an interest check? is drop going to be a vendor too?

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:38:02 »
if theres already going to be a limited run then why is there an interest check? is drop going to be a vendor too?
I wanted to see if there was any interest in doing a larger run than 100 units.

Offline Lfgberg

• Lfgberg.org
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:45:09 »
No.

unsurprised you're choosing to go with ifk again. Oversaturated and unfunny, but I can appreciate wanting to make a meme. Like I'm sure toby is a cool dude but I don't need him on my keyboard and I doubt anyone else would either.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:46:07 »
No.

unsurprised you're choosing to go with ifk again. Oversaturated and unfunny, but I can appreciate wanting to make a meme. Like I'm sure toby is a cool dude but I don't need him on my keyboard and I doubt anyone else would either.
This TBH.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:48:16 »
No.

Howdy - not going with IFK hence why the set is called PBT Toby and not IFK Toby.
Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Nukz

• ig: nukzak
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 16:52:02 »
 this makes me sad fr

Offline Zakar1ya

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 17:32:26 »
I want to be cool and join on the hate train, but I'm friends with you so I can't >:( 10/10 would buy, tell toby I love him and his face

Offline yanwrld

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 17:36:52 »
When you a meme face set, they are usually have a reference to something relatively popular or that people find amusing, so it is an attractive product that people will purchase, correct? Well, I have no idea who Toby is, and I assume that a whole lot of others don't either. With Greg, it's a cartoon cat holding pills on a taobao deskmat. That is somewhat (subjectively) funny. Anybody can look at Greg and at least understand why it exists. When I see this, it's very... off-putting. The entire inspiration is - Toby? A guy with a cult following of 400 or so on instagram? I'm sure he is a good person but I would not appreciate having his pantone matched flesh colored keycaps on my keyboards. I think it's good that we have increasing choices to personalize and customize our keyboards. This is a bit much. Good luck

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 17:58:42 »
When you a meme face set, they are usually have a reference to something relatively popular or that people find amusing, so it is an attractive product that people will purchase, correct? Well, I have no idea who Toby is, and I assume that a whole lot of others don't either. With Greg, it's a cartoon cat holding pills on a taobao deskmat. That is somewhat (subjectively) funny. Anybody can look at Greg and at least understand why it exists. When I see this, it's very... off-putting. The entire inspiration is - Toby? A guy with a cult following of 400 or so on instagram? I'm sure he is a good person but I would not appreciate having his pantone matched flesh colored keycaps on my keyboards. I think it's good that we have increasing choices to personalize and customize our keyboards. This is a bit much. Good luck

Yes thank you! You found exactly the point, finding a really dumb idea and fully committing to it. No one knows who Toby is, that's part of the charm and part of the meme. It's okay to not want him on your board, that's why I did the kitting how I did.

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 18:52:32 »
Greg clone
When u gonna learn how to design keycaps? /s (Hipyo and I are friends its ok)

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 18:58:43 »
I can appreciate the intention but at least some of the other face sets look appealing. I don't know if this look would look good on any board. So yeah, nah

Offline Alessio

• YT Channel
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 19:54:44 »
Greg clone
When u gonna learn how to design keycaps? /s (Hipyo and I are friends its ok)

pot kettle black

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 23 March 2021, 23:22:32 »
no
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline P103

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 00:01:59 »
The worst kind of memes are forced ones.

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 01:57:06 »
Once in a lifetime you'll come across a keycap set that truly captures the history and cultural distinctions of the modern world the way a person can subjectively perceive it through our guided field of perspective. I have to admit, I had my doubts when I first learned of the set. After all, PBT Toby? Will this set even be good? How ignorant was I to even have these thoughts. Little did I know I was about to indulge in what may have been the best $60-90 of my life. The set started out strong. The opening experience enticed the audience with a captivating enigma. I was so taken aback from the next-generation color matching that I almost didn't even realize the underlying symbolism in the ongoing colors. This is a special kind of high that not even the strongest of drugs can give you. Was I part of Toby? Am I inside Toby right now? This set will leave you questioning existential nihilism and the objective skepticism of our perceived valuation of anthropological existence. At this point in the use of Toby, I was fully intoxicated by the avant-garde design choice. But, then again, the fact that I'm living doesn't matter either so I might as well stick around for awhile, living in complete isolation, condemned to a life of traumatic memories and a completely corrupted sub-conscience. PBT Toby literally ruined my life. 10/10.

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 01:59:51 »
Once in a lifetime you'll come across a keycap set that truly captures the history and cultural distinctions of the modern world the way a person can subjectively perceive it through our guided field of perspective. I have to admit, I had my doubts when I first learned of the set. After all, PBT Toby? Will this set even be good? How ignorant was I to even have these thoughts. Little did I know I was about to indulge in what may have been the best $60-90 of my life. The set started out strong. The opening experience enticed the audience with a captivating enigma. I was so taken aback from the next-generation color matching that I almost didn't even realize the underlying symbolism in the ongoing colors. This is a special kind of high that not even the strongest of drugs can give you. Was I part of Toby? Am I inside Toby right now? This set will leave you questioning existential nihilism and the objective skepticism of our perceived valuation of anthropological existence. At this point in the use of Toby, I was fully intoxicated by the avant-garde design choice. But, then again, the fact that I'm living doesn't matter either so I might as well stick around for awhile, living in complete isolation, condemned to a life of traumatic memories and a completely corrupted sub-conscience. PBT Toby literally ruined my life. 10/10.

This comment gave me more existential dread than creating PBT Toby... Thank you.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 05:02:07 »
At least it's not GMK.

Offline Timm0h

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 06:38:12 »
I also don‘t see any point of having the face of Toby on my desk. But can you not go a bit away from that „meme“ and bring the set with that colors as a normal set. You could add an extension kit for making Tobys face with this set.
But the colors are looking fine for me for a normal and not a meme set.

Offline Afresh

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 08:23:45 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 January 2024, 08:31:06 by Afresh »

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 12:55:39 »
I also don‘t see any point of having the face of Toby on my desk. But can you not go a bit away from that „meme“ and bring the set with that colors as a normal set. You could add an extension kit for making Tobys face with this set.
But the colors are looking fine for me for a normal and not a meme set.

The base kit includes all of the keycaps you need to make it a normal set as well, that's why I included some renders showing it off!

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 13:16:50 »
Why

Offline Dawnzo

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 16:30:04 »
7u spacebar is forced accent or is there gonna be a regular coloured spacebar?

Offline Hipyo

• Youtube
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 18:20:06 »
7u spacebar is forced accent or is there gonna be a regular coloured spacebar?
I was a bit torn on what to do with the 7u, if enough people want it before final production starts I can change it but I don't think I could justify a 2nd 7u.

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 23:26:46 »

Offline Zakar1ya

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 23:27:07 »

Offline fromscratchusa

• Keyboard Bag Tailor, I work with Keycap Designers.
    • FromScratch - Mechanical Keyboard Bags
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 24 March 2021, 23:49:13 »
what have you done to poor toby

Offline kazoosco

• Modern F Designer
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 25 March 2021, 11:48:50 »
PBT Toby is the endgame. Handarbeit? Move over. There's a new sheriff in town, and he's coming for you.

Do you like mechanical keyboards? Do you like Toby? This set is the one for you.