Author Topic: G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?  (Read 14733 times)

Offline upperguy

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« on: Mon, 08 November 2010, 22:23:13 »
Okay I'm in the market for a new mouse and have always had issues with finding one that is comfortable because I have large hands. I currently have a Logitech G5 and performance wise I like it a lot, it's just thin for my liking. I hadn't really thought about it too much until the R.a.t. 7 came onto the scene with its R.O.U.S. bad self.

So I did some digging and saw the issues with the laser but I'm wondering if it's just a bad batch or limited to specific mouse pads? I don't use anything special, just my desktop which is dark blue speckled gray smooth satin finish. I've never had any issues with tracking or anything of that nature and rarely lift. I also just came across the G9x sale last night, to my dismay I was late by a few days otherwise it would be on its way here.

So I definitely like the ability to customize the R.A.T, though the G9x has the shell that would probably be good enough(though I also really like the ability to move the thumb buttons forward on the R.a.t.). I mostly play FPS games, never MMOs and rarely do I take the time to customize the button layout and such, even the sniper button, while interesting, isn't something I think would weigh into my judgment.

So are there any other mice that you guys would recommend to someone with big hands like myself? I would say I have a hybrid palm/claw grip as I switch between them depending on the game and how into it I am.

Offline skartt

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 00:21:03 »
for palm and large hands i would suggest a roccat kone+. however i dont know how well a claw grip goes with it.

Offline aj-kun

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 01:36:12 »
ime v3.0
the only mouse you need ever.

Offline Lanx

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 02:57:56 »
here's my post from [H] on this same exact thread.
rat7, most adjustable/ergonomic mouse (that isn't a stupid ergonomic mouse) out there, pathetic sensor/tracking/software and build quality.
if you really care about having a quality mouse, do not buy a rat7, if you can't tell the difference between a $20 ball mouse and a 99$ mouse (like some ppl who think the rat7 is good, and the only reason they think this way is cuz they do not know the difference, nothing against them, but they just don't know, much like how tone deaf ppl will never be able to see what an audiophile goes through or what a colorblind person(like me) is missing out on a properly tuned plasma).
if the rat7 comes down to 40$ then it would be a good buy because then you have the good ergonomics/****ty everything else tradeoff, otherwise the lowest current price(i think amazon/newegg) is 80bucks is still a ripoff.

couldn't tell you my last logitech was a 518 so sorry, can't compare.

Offline Scarzy

• http://enecutive.blogspot.com/
G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 03:06:01 »
Quote from: aj-kun;244539
ime v3.0

Not for 270 over 45 cm it's not :(

Offline CodeChef

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 08:21:16 »
Go for the G9. I had the MX518 (same shape as the G5), and with my huge-ass hands I much prefer the G9. Flatter and wider with just enough support for the palm makes it great to use. You missed out though, it was 40 bucks brand new with free shipping on logitech.com last week.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline upperguy

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 09:20:06 »
Yeah, I think I'm going to shoot them a call with some story about a lost order:-p  worth a shot!

Offline zefrer

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 12:06:07 »
Quote from: CodeChef;244582
Go for the G9. I had the MX518 (same shape as the G5), and with my huge-ass hands I much prefer the G9. Flatter and wider with just enough support for the palm makes it great to use. You missed out though, it was 40 bucks brand new with free shipping on logitech.com last week.

That's odd, I had the exact opposite feeling. My hands are also huge-ass, I found the G9 too small in height which forced me to adjust my grip. If I have my palm on the mouse like I normally would (palm grip) then my fingers extend too far off the front of the mouse, making actually using it pretty difficult.

On the other hand (sorry), I can rest my palm on the MX518 and grip it comfortably.

Personally I would avoid the G9 especially for FPS games. I replaced mine with an MX518. Go for the G9x if you like the G9's size/grip.

Offline ManjyomeThunder

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 14:18:13 »
> mouse
> gaming

= DeathAdder.
Current Favorite:  Noppoo Choc Mini with Cherry MX Blues
"Storage": ABS M1, Unicomp Customizer 104, Razer Lycosa, (3) Dell AT101W, GeekHack Space Saver
Other stuff: Razer DeathAdder, eXactMat

Offline CodeChef

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 November 2010, 20:46:53 »
Quote from: ManjyomeThunder;244691
> mouse
> gaming

= DeathAdder.

> mouse recommendations
> DeathAdder

I'm sorry, you seem to have recommended the WORST mouse to buy. We were recommending the BEST mice. It's easy to get those two confused. Don't worry though, no harm done :)
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline Daniel Beaver

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 00:55:42 »
What's wrong with the DeathAdder?

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline aj-kun

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 07:57:56 »
what's wrong with it? it's highly recommended the another gamer forum i'm apart of.

Offline vicariouscheese

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 09:50:05 »
highly recommended palm mouses from professional fps players (as in, this is what they use when theyre not required to use sponsor equipment)

mx518
deathadder
ms intellimouse 3.0
ms imo/wmo

stop arguing about the deathadder, its been beaten to death (lol) in every forum imaginable.  people love it, pros use it, people hate it, there are some sensor issues blah blah, its the same for almost every mouse

all mice have some problems, it all depends on your preferences.  new large laser mice would be like g500 and ikari, although im pretty sure some people have reported negative accel on these

Offline Daniel Beaver

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 09:52:13 »
I keep hearing people complaining about acceleration (positive or negative). What sort of real-world affect does that have one use?

Offline ManjyomeThunder

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 09:55:50 »
Quote from: CodeChef;244808
> mouse recommendations
> DeathAdder

I'm sorry, you seem to have recommended the WORST mouse to buy. We were recommending the BEST mice. It's easy to get those two confused. Don't worry though, no harm done :)

Oh, you see, I was confused because the OP put that piece of **** G9x in the thread title. My bad.
Current Favorite:  Noppoo Choc Mini with Cherry MX Blues
"Storage": ABS M1, Unicomp Customizer 104, Razer Lycosa, (3) Dell AT101W, GeekHack Space Saver
Other stuff: Razer DeathAdder, eXactMat

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
acceleration hinders twitch movements - but some lucky folks can deal.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 11:07:27 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;244953
I keep hearing people complaining about acceleration (positive or negative). What sort of real-world affect does that have one use?

In games, acceleration will make it hard to twitch the mouse a specific distance to move the cursor or field of view a known amount.
 often the broad movements are done via a reflex request, then the fine control (say, to shoot something carefully) is done with visual feedback.
  Acceleration makes it harder for the spine to map the distance to result, and if the game bogs momentarily in handling the acceleration, the motion will be borked too. Some folks, playing games on well tuned rigs, can get off twitch-shots, with acceleration turned on - and that's great for them, since they don't need to move their hand as far to get the same result.
  If you switch games, play games on crappy engines (anything by the bethesda until they start using the Id resources they recently purchased, etc...) or have a sketchy PC, then acceleration will inhibit your twitch movements, forcing a vision - feedback - refinement cycle into all of your actions.
  Mind, if you don't play twitch games, then I think any attempt at rational discussion is wanking, and it then becomes a matter of personal preference. :P

well, that's my 2 cents, at least.
dfj
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...

Offline upperguy

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 11:52:49 »
Okay so I shouldn't get the RAT cause it's a pos with sensor issues, I shouldn't get the G9x cause it's a piece of **** without sensor issues and I shouldn't get the Deathadder because it's a piece of **** that occasionally has sensor issues. hahahaha at least I'm making progress right?

Does anyone know how common the issues with the R.A.T. 7's laser are? I wouldn't be overly distressed knowing I can return it if something comes up. What about the experience is terrible compared to other mid-higher end mice?

My only real complaint about the G5 is that it's not entirely comfortable. I think even though new mice with thousands more DPI have come out, I still have no issues tracking or skipping or whatever else people would attribute to that.

I'm so totally lost at this point, I wish there was a shop I could try out these different mice!

Offline zefrer

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 12:36:02 »
The RAT uses the philips twin eye engine. It has known problems with Z-axis tracking, there are several youtube videos showing the effect.

Basically when you pick it up to reposition the cursor moves down and to the right of the screen every time.

Offline MyNameIsDan

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 13:24:58 »
Quote from: zefrer;245055
The RAT uses the philips twin eye engine. It has known problems with Z-axis tracking, there are several youtube videos showing the effect.

Basically when you pick it up to reposition the cursor moves down and to the right of the screen every time.

Came here to specify this. I bought a rat7 for lulz and wanted to try it out... much to my dismay the sensor issue was wreaking havoc upon my experience. Pick up and drop moves the cursor right down of screen by a NOTICEABLE amount of pixels. And also after fast swiping the sensor will stall and will not respond for like a second.

tl;dr: STAY AWAY FROM RAT.

My steelseries xai uses the same sensor yet it does not share the same issues(accel issues are fixed by using a hardmat)
Current Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 104 Browns (FKBN104M/EB)

Current Mice: Steelseries Xai (1400cc//800cc) on Steelseries 9HD.

Anyone want to donate me a keycap remover? <3

Offline CodeChef

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 17:34:22 »
Quote from: upperguy;245018
Okay so I shouldn't get the RAT cause it's a pos with sensor issues, I shouldn't get the G9x cause it's a piece of **** without sensor issues and I shouldn't get the Deathadder because it's a piece of **** that occasionally has sensor issues. hahahaha at least I'm making progress right?

Does anyone know how common the issues with the R.A.T. 7's laser are? I wouldn't be overly distressed knowing I can return it if something comes up. What about the experience is terrible compared to other mid-higher end mice?

My only real complaint about the G5 is that it's not entirely comfortable. I think even though new mice with thousands more DPI have come out, I still have no issues tracking or skipping or whatever else people would attribute to that.

I'm so totally lost at this point, I wish there was a shop I could try out these different mice!

No. Get the G9x!
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline CodeChef

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 17:35:45 »
Quote from: aj-kun;244884
what's wrong with it? it's highly recommended the another gamer forum i'm apart of.

Found your problem.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 13:43:59 »
I never understood this thing about "gaming mice". I've used them on other folks' computers, and they really aren't all that much better than your average Dell optical mouse.

Think about it: If your mouse tracks well, has enough buttons (including a scrolling wheel if you use those), and doesn't cause RSI, then why replace it?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline CodeChef

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 13:57:50 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;247628
I never understood this thing about "gaming mice". I've used them on other folks' computers, and they really aren't all that much better than your average Dell optical mouse.

Think about it: If your mouse tracks well, has enough buttons (including a scrolling wheel if you use those), and doesn't cause RSI, then why replace it?

Comfort. Also, "as enough buttons" what's "enough"? Some people want more buttons than others. Some people want different features, weights, ability to switch DPI, etc. Obviously you don't, but some do.
[sigpic][/sigpic]

Offline Eclairz

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 07:02:01 »
Logitech G500 has same sensor as G9x but with a better palm grip, same goes for the Dell Alienware Tactx which is a G9x without the customizable grips but with better side buttons. I think a good mouse mat can make all the difference and cheaper than a new mouse
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline MyNameIsDan

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 12:59:45 »
Quote from: Eclairz;247987
Logitech G500 has same sensor as G9x but with a better palm grip, same goes for the Dell Alienware Tactx which is a G9x without the customizable grips but with better side buttons. I think a good mouse mat can make all the difference and cheaper than a new mouse

a good mouse mat also is a cheap fix to sensor issues for some mice. unfortunately not the rat7..
Current Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 104 Browns (FKBN104M/EB)

Current Mice: Steelseries Xai (1400cc//800cc) on Steelseries 9HD.

Anyone want to donate me a keycap remover? <3

Offline Azuremen

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 03:05:35 »
I heard the RAT9 has the sensor issues resolved with the z-axis?

That aside, I've been using a G9x for a few weeks now and I have to say I don't see any real issues with it. Perhaps the force required to press down the mouse wheel for middle click. That is the only real issue I have with it thus far.
Filco Tenkeyless Tactile Click ~ Kinesis Professional ~ White label Model M ~ DX HHKB Killer
Mionix Naos 5000 ~ Logitech Mx518
Flickr

Offline Daniel Beaver

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 11:53:17 »
I heard the RAT9 has the sensor issues resolved with the z-axis?

I've heard the same. What does that even mean? What sort of real-world effect does it have?

Offline alec

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 22 November 2010, 08:56:35 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;248651
I've heard the same. What does that even mean? What sort of real-world effect does it have?
It was just described in posts #17-18 :)
Looking hard at Kone
  • , seems excellent but very expensive mouse

And never know what is true about ADNS 9500 sensor...
Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline alec

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 29 November 2010, 16:42:36 »
Got me Roccat Kone
  • , couldn't resist.

Its a great mouse. Does the usual stuff as well as DA, but in addition haa a ton of settings and tweaking possibilities.
Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline nmd

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 06 December 2010, 19:04:20 »
About the Phillip's twin-eye sensor problem. I only experienced it with the Razer Imperator and it was horribly noticeable as long as I tried to make it happen(raising and lowering the mouse to check the Z-axis problem.) While gaming I never noticed it was doing it though, that was in FPS/RTS/MMO.

The problem is exaggerated by repeated raising and lowering of the mouse as it would reset the mouse to a spot far away when you set it down(depending on screen size and acceleration iirc.) Doing it once would barely move it - but it would still move it, take that for what you will.

Offline CodeChef

G9x vs R.A.T.7 vs....?
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 08 December 2010, 21:28:49 »
BTW, I can confirm that getting a nice new good mousepad helps a ton. HP recently had an HP/Voodoo gaming surface on sale for 6 bucks freeship. It's really nice.
[sigpic][/sigpic]