Author Topic: mouse buttons: the most used, but less optimized switch?  (Read 3476 times)

Offline urlwolf

mouse buttons: the most used, but less optimized switch?
« on: Sun, 09 January 2011, 19:19:11 »
My kensington orbit ball gives me a sore thumb. Same for middle-finger and Logitech G9x.
Well, thinking on how these switches work, we always bottom out. There's no feedback.

Could what we know about keyboards be used for mouse buttons? Sure, the travel might be super-short to do much about it, and I hate it with the travel is too long,... but something must be possible?
keyboards: Cherry G80-3494- cherry reds | filco majestytouch - cherry browns | kinesis contour - cherry browns | cherry G80 - 1800 cherry blacks.
mice: filco touchpad | logitech G9x | wowpen joy | kensington orbit trackball | zalman fpsgun | intellimouse v1 | logitech rx1500

Offline woebtz

• http://www.headcasegames.com
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 01:07:43 »
@urlwolf: How do you like the Filco touchpad?

I have a Ergonomic Touchpad for my PC, but it's never felt quite right (lacking multi finger gestures, sensitivity, etc.).

I do use Autohotkey/Mouse Keys to map Caps Lock, Insert, Keypad Enter, and Keypad 5 to be left mouse button on my PC, but I wish there was an equivalent (besides Mouse Keys) to do the same on my Mac.

@ripster: Another consideration is the lever material. The buttons on my Kensington Expert is too flexible (cheap?) to give me any significant leverage.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless CB, Apple Wired Keyboard, MS Comfort Curve 2000, Belkin n52te,
RollerMouse Pro, Ergonomic Touchpad, Magic Trackpad, Kensington Expert, Orbit Trackball w/ Scroll, IBM Scrollpoint III, Zalman FPSGun, Monster Gecko PistolMouse, Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Marble & First Pilot
[/COLOR]

Offline urlwolf

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 04:01:41 »
The filco touchpad has the same microswitches as (I'm guessing) the new MBPs and the kensington orbit: the kind that has longish travel and a hollow sound. Not my favorite. My favorite up to now is the logitech G9x, although a very similar feeling can be found on the cherry optical mouse on the cheap. No wiki for microswitches? I'm pretty sure there are at least two types...
keyboards: Cherry G80-3494- cherry reds | filco majestytouch - cherry browns | kinesis contour - cherry browns | cherry G80 - 1800 cherry blacks.
mice: filco touchpad | logitech G9x | wowpen joy | kensington orbit trackball | zalman fpsgun | intellimouse v1 | logitech rx1500

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 January 2011, 04:46:10 »
Most mouse buttons are built like a lever, with a hinge.
In some mice, there is no real hinge, but the button is made of plastic that is supposed to flex.
The force and travel required depends on:
 - The microswitch's resistance.
 - The finger's position relative to the switch and hinge, i.e. the leverage.
   If you press on the button in-between the hinge and the switch, the resistance is higher than the microswitch's but the distance is lower. If you press on the button on the other side of the switch from the hinge, then the resistance is lower but the distance is higher.
 - Type of "hinge": real hinge (no added resistance) or plastic flex (added resistance)

I think that the very best mouse buttons are those where the switches are very light and perfectly aligned with the finger. The Evoluent VerticalMouse that ripster posted a pic of is very good in this way.
I have had to replace the microswitches in another mouse because they were too stiff -- giving me aching fingers.
🍉

Offline urlwolf

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 January 2011, 05:36:14 »
I found a place that sells the switches idependently:
http://www.infogrip.com/category_view.asp?option=switch

but at those prices, I'd rather test them first. It's cheaper to buy mice (and you can test them in the store).

I wonder how it'd be like to have a mouse with a cherry red switch mounted for clicking. Maybe it doesn't make sense, as doubleclick would be hard.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 January 2011, 02:12:00 »
Quote from: urlwolf;276597

I wonder how it'd be like to have a mouse with a cherry red switch mounted for clicking. Maybe it doesn't make sense, as doubleclick would be hard.

I once talked about that with a R&D Manager of a mouse manufacturer (besides some other ideas), the problem would be the long travel.

Most mice use OMRON Switches for the main buttons, TTC and Zippy are often used for side buttons.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.