Author Topic: THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!  (Read 35915 times)

Offline iri

THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 02:28:13 »
picked up my new realforce today. feels meh, but what a sound! THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 02:41:40 »
is 2013 the new year of topre?

cause i'm stoked
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 02:47:13 »
is 2013 the new year of topre?

cause i'm stoked

Snake skin topre!

Offline iri

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 02:55:07 »
and seriously, this is a soft landing? my cm pro with thin and firm o-rings has the same "softness".
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 03:06:41 »
and seriously, this is a soft landing? my cm pro with thin and firm o-rings has the same "softness".
wait are you telling me a keyboard with rubber bits is similarly soft to another keyboard with rubber bits?

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 03:11:13 »
Do you mean the THOCK as the key travels back up?

Offline iri

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 03:19:07 »
wait are you telling me a keyboard with rubber bits is similarly soft to another keyboard with rubber bits?
also they both have cords. doesn't justify 2.5x price tag difference.

it bottoms out with a thock.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 03:43:11 »

Dude, you should've just bought a GoW set from T for your QFR. I'd say use the Chicony ridic-thick double-shots, but they proved to be way too heavy. (1x's weren't coming back up!) But moderately thick PBT just completely changes the character and sound of the QFR.
Plus it costs way less than an overpriced rubber dome Topre.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 03:50:36 »
also they both have cords. doesn't justify 2.5x price tag difference.

Strange, do they have a metal plate?

Offline iri

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 03:52:21 »
Dude, you should've just bought a GoW set from T for your QFR. I'd say use the Chicony ridic-thick double-shots, but they proved to be way too heavy. (1x's weren't coming back up!) But moderately thick PBT just completely changes the character and sound of the QFR.
i don't own a qfr (it's a qf pro) and dislike printed keycaps. and qf pro. will sell it as soon as possible.

an overpriced rubber dome
striking is not really necessary lol

-Ray Bradbury

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 04:03:38 »

Plus it costs way less than an overpriced rubber dome Topre.

I bet that you haven't tried Topre for more than a day.

Offline whiskerBox

THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 06:53:14 »
Ah the thock noise :)
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:54:24 »
For the topre haters: A Topre switch is every bit as mechanical as a Cherry MX switch, and here is why -

Both use a spring (Topre rubber) to determine the weight of the switch, and both slide up and down within a plastic housing, with a plastic slider.

/thread
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:06:44 by Bro Caps »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:54:51 »
I've found the HHKB has more of a "thock". The RF's plate dampens quite a bit of noise.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:58:37 »
I've found the HHKB has more of a "thock". The RF's plate dampens quite a bit of noise.

The 55g definitely 'thocks', but a more solid one from the plate. The HHKB reverbs through the hollow plastic shell, whereas the metal plate gives the RF's a different auditory feedback (thock-ping?).

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:59:03 »
Both use a spring to determine the weight of the switch, and both slide up and down within a plastic housing, with a plastic slider.

The spring in a Topre is not used to change weight.  Variable weight Topre's have different thickness rubber domes, and some with holes punched through if I remember right.  The spring is for the sensing circuit only.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 08:59:10 »
PING!

Offline iri

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:01:27 »
Both use a spring to determine the weight of the switch
topre switch spring is 5gf, the switch itself (in my keyboard) is 45gf.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:04:21 »
Both use a spring to determine the weight of the switch
topre switch spring is 5gf, the switch itself (in my keyboard) is 45gf.

The rubber, actually (I guess you can call that the switch).

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:05:15 »
Both use a spring to determine the weight of the switch, and both slide up and down within a plastic housing, with a plastic slider.

The spring in a Topre is not used to change weight.  Variable weight Topre's have different thickness rubber domes, and some with holes punched through if I remember right.  The spring is for the sensing circuit only.

I stand corrected - but with an aside that the rubber acts as the spring, so essentially, pretty much the same ;)

Offline iri

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:08:09 »
can't put an equality sign between rubber domes and springs. domes have an initial resistance and collapse once it's passed. springs behave differently.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:11:45 »
can't put an equality sign between rubber domes and springs. domes have an initial resistance and collapse once it's passed. springs behave differently.

I wasn't putting an equality sign, merely stating that Topre uses the rubber as the 'spring' (corrected there) to determine the weight. Physics aside, they both do the same job, essentially.

Offline iri

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:14:15 »
heh, are membrane keyboards mechanical then? they use domes as springs.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:17:09 »
heh, are membrane keyboards mechanical then? they use domes as springs.

They don't use plastic sliders and housings, or springs for that matter, like topres do.....(the same as Cherry switches)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:19:19 »
For the topre haters: A Topre switch is every bit as mechanical as a Cherry MX switch, and here is why -

Both use a spring (Topre rubber) to determine the weight of the switch, and both slide up and down within a plastic housing, with a plastic slider.

/thread

For some people, Topre is the ultimate keyboarding experience. They experience the oneness of cup rubber.

For others, the Topre doesn't feel much different than the hated cheap rubber dome keyboards they used before.

Of course the Topre is mechanical. But its tactile feeling comes from the rubber cup (dome) being compressed. It feels totally different from a Cherry MX or Alps switch.

I tried the Topre boards for more than a week. I went back to Cherry MX switches. That's just personal preference. Hell, I used to love my buckling springs, and I hardly use them now, simply because I prefer how MX switches feel.

And anyway, by your definition, all rubber dome keyboards are mechanical also, due to the mechanical action of the plunger compressing a rubber dome on the membrane to come into contact with the pads that completes the electrical circuit.

I don't hate Topre. I just prefer MX.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline iri

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:20:22 »
i've had an old AT membrane keyboard which used plastic sliders. it had a nicer landing feel than this realforce lol

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:23:03 »
And anyway, by your definition, all rubber dome keyboards are mechanical also, due to the mechanical action of the plunger compressing a rubber dome on the membrane to come into contact with the pads that completes the electrical circuit.

Wrong. There are two major components that don't exist in a rubber dome, that I have already stated: Plastic housing + slider + spring.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:24:18 »
i've had an old AT membrane keyboard which used plastic sliders. it had a nicer landing feel than this realforce lol

Sounds like you are just trolling now. If you don't like RF/Topre, don't use it.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:25:36 »
but you already said the rubber acts as a spring. And I've used plenty of boards that had plastic housings and sliders.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:26:05 »

Wrong. There are two major components that don't exist in a rubber dome, that I have already stated: Plastic housing + slider + spring.
Have you seen a Peerless? Spring, slider, and rubber domes.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:27:37 »
but you already said the rubber acts as a spring. And I've used plenty of boards that had plastic housings and sliders.

What RD has it's own separate plastic housing, spring and slider? The only one closest to a topre has been the BTC-5100C.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:27:51 »
To the OP... give it more than a day... say a week or two. If you aren't happy with it then, you'll fall right in with numerous people who just don't like Topre. You don't HAVE to love it. :P
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:29:20 »
To the OP... give it more than a day... say a week or two. If you aren't happy with it then, you'll fall right in with numerous people who just don't like Topre. You don't HAVE to love it. :P

This. From the previous posts, I think he already falls into that category. I expect to see his board in classifieds soon ;)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:30:07 »
Wait.... so you're saying the sole thing that separates a mechanical switch from a non-mechanical is a plastic housing that isn't part of the larger board?

dafuq?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:32:49 »

Have you seen a Peerless? Spring, slider, and rubber domes.

Example? I guess we can kick this stupid subject around for days - so what is your reference as a definition of a 'mechanical' switch? Do you consider a buckling spring (which primarily uses a spring for force and tactility) more 'mechanical' than a cherry mx? When most of the components that make up a cherry mx switch are existent in a topre switch (sans rubber), why do you not consider it to be mechanical?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:33:53 »
Wait.... so you're saying the sole thing that separates a mechanical switch from a non-mechanical is a plastic housing that isn't part of the larger board?

dafuq?

Jesus christ dude... did you even read the 3 components that I mentioned, or are you just picking out parts of my posts? LOL

Also, see my previous post to this.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:40:19 by Bro Caps »

Offline iri

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:36:49 »
This. From the previous posts, I think he already falls into that category. I expect to see his board in classifieds soon ;)
i already heard absyrd's advice. actually the board is nice, the only thing that i don't like is bottom out feel. and selling the board in classifieds is kinda difficult for me since i live in russia. last time i sent a package to usa via regular mail, they charged me $60, and it was amazon kindle in the parcel... mailing a topre board will cost even more.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:43:17 »
i already heard absyrd's advice. actually the board is nice, the only thing that i don't like is bottom out feel. and selling the board in classifieds is kinda difficult for me since i live in russia. last time i sent a package to usa via regular mail, they charged me $60, and it was amazon kindle in the parcel... mailing a topre board will cost even more.

How long have you actually been using it? I can't say it will get much better if your joints are experiencing pain. As I said in the other post, it could be arthritis (usually associated with joint pain).
If that is the case, then sticking with it isn't going to change much for you.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:45:48 »

Peerless switch.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:50:09 »
Show Image

Peerless switch.

Doesn't really tell, or show me much. All the old references to that switch from Google are gone on GH. I believe they were Ripster's posts.

(also, you didn't answer the question :P )
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:57:14 by Bro Caps »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 09:57:49 »
http://imgur.com/a/Uivuc
Ripster still has his imgur account. Ripster.imgur.com

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:03:10 »
So to re-iterate; I asked what defines a 'mechanical' switch versus a rubber dome? I see some people discounting Topre as mechanical, and want to know what the basis for that is.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:08:51 »
I'd say anything that isn't a touch screen is, technically, mechanical. On our site here, typically if it has a spring, it is 'mechanical'. So to each their own on interpreting that. Rubber domes are a typical term associated with crappy keyboards, though there are nice RD keyboards, such as a Dell QuietKey or (in some opinions) Topre.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:10:42 by SmallFry »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:14:09 »
I'd say anything that isn't a touch screen is, technically, mechanical. On our site here, typically if it has a spring, it is 'mechanical'. So to each their own on interpreting that. Rubber domes are a typical term associated with crappy keyboards, though there are nice RD keyboards, such as a Dell QuietKey or (in some opinions) Topre.

So since Topres contain a spring, that makes them mechanical, right? :P

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:16:45 »
All keyboards are mechanical really, you have to physically move the key cap down to compress a switch or spring to make the key register.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:17:04 »
I never argued the weren't. On this site, they are treated as such though, yes. I honestly could care less what they're technically considered. If you enjoy typing on them, then type on them. :))
All keyboards are mechanical really, you have to physically move the key cap down to compress a switch or spring to make the key register.
More or less what I was trying to say before. Thanks mate.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:18:46 by SmallFry »

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:18:56 »
This discussion has happened many times... the only answer everyone agreed on was that touch screens are indeed not mechanical keyboards.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:19:45 »

I think it's what makes up that switch that is in debate. Some rubber domes are only a rubber membrane underneath the key. No spring or even housing. Just plain mush.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:21:57 »

I think it's what makes up that switch that is in debate. Some rubber domes are only a rubber membrane underneath the key. No spring or even housing. Just plain mush.
Not always mush though. See a vintage QuietKey or Olleveti (I butchered that spelling, sorry)dome keyboard.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:22:56 »
True but it's still mechanical :P

Does anyone really care? It's probably best to define the boards by the switch type as Bro Caps said, MX, Topre, Alps, Chiclet, BS or Rubberdome.