Author Topic: THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!  (Read 35917 times)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:24:58 »
scissor, buckling rubber sleeve, and on and on...
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:25:54 »
I can had all zee keybardz! NOM NOM NOM

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:25:56 »
Exactly, define it buy it's mechanical movement as that is the only differentiation between them.

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:49:03 »
I'd say anything that isn't a touch screen is, technically, mechanical. On our site here, typically if it has a spring, it is 'mechanical'. So to each their own on interpreting that. Rubber domes are a typical term associated with crappy keyboards, though there are nice RD keyboards, such as a Dell QuietKey or (in some opinions) Topre.

So since Topres contain a spring, that makes them mechanical, right? :P

The switch in a Topre key is capacitive. There is no mechanical connection so it is not mechanical, unless you think putting a spring and cup rubber on top of a capacitive sensor makes it mechanical
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:52:27 by aviphysics »

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:52:33 »
I'd say anything that isn't a touch screen is, technically, mechanical. On our site here, typically if it has a spring, it is 'mechanical'. So to each their own on interpreting that. Rubber domes are a typical term associated with crappy keyboards, though there are nice RD keyboards, such as a Dell QuietKey or (in some opinions) Topre.

So since Topres contain a spring, that makes them mechanical, right? :p

The switch in a Topre key is capacitive. There is no physical connection so it is not mechanical, unless you think putting a spring and cup rubber on top of a capacitive sensor makes it mechanical

There is a solid mechanical connection between finger, keycap, dome, spring and PCB when the key is depressed so there most certainly is a mechanical connection.

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:53:27 »

The switch in a Topre key is capacitive. There is no physical connection so it is not mechanical, unless you think putting a spring and cup rubber on top of a capacitive sensor makes it mechanical

There is a solid mechanical connection between finger, keycap, dome, spring and PCB when the key is depressed so there most certainly is a mechanical connection.

Does that mean a touchscreen is a mechanical switch?

Offline iri

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:54:51 »
why did i even start this thread?..
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 10:57:25 »
why did i even start this thread?..

I'm sorry.. we all make grievous errors from time to time :p
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:00:20 »

No as there is no mechanical movement just the capactive screen sensing your finger.

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:08:10 »

No as there is no mechanical movement just the capactive screen sensing your finger.
My finger and the air around it have a mechanical movement and the screen makes a mechanical thumping sound when my finger hits it. Not only that, but there is a subtle change in the mechanical flow of electrons. Therefore, by your definition it is mechanical. Of course by your definition, everything is mechanical so we might as well just burn the word.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:09:00 »
We didn't start the fire...  :cool:

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:19:56 »
Funny because noone argues about which Cherry MX switch is best. They will just all resort to "it's a matter of preference". But when it comes to MX vs. Topre it's like atheism vs theology.

He'll if you prefer rubberdome and its cost effectiveness, it's a matter of preference. There is no one better than the other.

Edit: I'm still yet to try Topre. However, it is impossible to know if you like something based on one day of usage. Different switches for different tasks is what I say.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:20:20 »
Well that is why I am saying that mechanical is a useless term, the only clear definition is the mechanical nature of the movement.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:20:48 »
Topre vs MX is just like Filco vs ?? - cost justification becomes part of the equation.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:22:14 »
Like Alaric said we've had this argument many times before and the designation "mechanical" is pretty meaningless.  At the end of the day it only serves to distinguish high-quality keyboards from cheapies.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:22:31 »
Topre vs MX is just like Filco vs ?? - cost justification becomes part of the equation.

Which is why I said that cost effects preference. Even if you are preferring rubberdome because of it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:27:31 »
Funny because noone argues about which Cherry MX switch is best. They will just all resort to "it's a matter of preference". But when it comes to MX vs. Topre it's like atheism vs theology.

He'll if you prefer rubberdome and its cost effectiveness, it's a matter of preference. There is no one better than the other.

Edit: I'm still yet to try Topre. However, it is impossible to know if you like something based on one day of usage. Different switches for different tasks is what I say.

It's because the Topre crowd defend it like it's a religion or something.

Guy 1: I don't like these Topre switches. They feel like rubber domes to me.
Guy 2: You haven't given them a chance!
Guy 1: I prefer MX switches.
Guy 2: But Topre are mechanical, too!

:D

It's okay. Some can like Topre. I like MX. We all enjoy the keyboard hobby. We have more in common than we have differences.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:29:19 »

Which is why I said that cost effects preference. Even if you are preferring rubberdome because of it.

One day I hope programmability makes its way into the argument :)

Something like "well topre is a great switch, but people are making ALPs boards with 9 programmable layers 3 of which can be locked/unlocked!"
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:42:03 by Binge »

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:42:44 »

Guy 1: I don't like these Topre switches. They feel like rubber domes to me. They are overpriced rubber domes.

It's okay. Some can like Topre. I like MX. We all enjoy the keyboard hobby. We have more in common than we have differences.

You left out something very important that I corrected for you. (See number 1 in quote).

Don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to be objective and give my two cents in a public thread. But the second you start passing judgement on someone's purchase, expect them to defend it harshly. There is a thin line between expressing your opinion and judging what someone seems worth it. And in the case of money, people WILL get offended. Especially if you are criticizing how they spend it.

:)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:45:26 by OnTheBrink »

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:48:41 »

Guy 1: I don't like these Topre switches. They feel like rubber domes to me. They are overpriced rubber domes.

You left out something very important that I corrected for you. (See number 1 in quote).

Don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to be objective and give my two cents in a public thread. But the second you start passing judgement on someone's purchase, expect them to defend it harshly. There is a thin line between expressing your opinion and judging what someone seems worth it. And in the case of money, people WILL get offended. Especially if you are criticizing how they spend it.

Summary of first few posts in the thread...

iri: nice sound but I don't really like the feel
rootwyrm: you should have gotten xxx keyboard instead
longweight: @rootwyrm, you haven't tried topre long enough
Bro Caps: A topre switch is every bit as mechanical.... (first time mechanical came up in thread. Mo one had mentioned dome rubber yet)
All down hill from here

Offline iri

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:50:43 »
in my classification, mechanical keyboards are the ones that use mechanical switches.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:53:38 »

No, they defend it exactly like a religion.

*dons the colander of Pastafanariasm*
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 12:08:22 »
Not sure where this turned into 'which switch is best', but it wasn't by me. I was merely arguing the notion of whether it was mechanical or not.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 12:40:59 »

Wait a sec. So are you saying, people who express their liking for Cherry MX switches are ok, but people who express their liking of Topre are "being religious"?

I'm not sure these are fair assessments here.

Also, there is a very big difference between:

1. Expressing one's opinions.
2. Purposely going into Topre discussions to discuss about Cherry MX switches.

2 is a very systematic, purposeful ribbing against Topre users. If Topre users went into threads regarding Cherry MX switches, and started bashing Cherry MX switches (which they don't), I'm user Cherry users would have a problem with that, too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 12:46:01 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:25:26 »
It feels nothing like the rubber domes I have access to. Yall be trippin. Just because the switch has rubber doesn't make it a RD (bomb cost of rubber dome keyboards is what... $2-3 dollars.) It's the Bently of keyboards - some people are just happy with their ol' Toyota.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:33:35 »
It feels nothing like the rubber domes I have access to. Yall be trippin. Just because the switch has rubber doesn't make it a RD (bomb cost of rubber dome keyboards is what... $2-3 dollars.) It's the Bently of keyboards - some people are just happy with their ol' Toyota.

Proof that the marketing works. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:35:26 »

Zzzzzzzzzz.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:36:10 »
Topre are better.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:40:51 »

What marketing? You think Topre spends money on marketing? Is it the price you're referring to? If what you say has any basis at all, then if somebody gave me my 87u for free I'd be like screw that, MX is better.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:12:51 »
What marketing? You think Topre spends money on marketing? Is it the price you're referring to? If what you say has any basis at all, then if somebody gave me my 87u for free I'd be like screw that, MX is better.

U mad bro?

I'm glad you love your Realforce. I love my Filcos. Can I say that empirically they feel superior to a QFR or Rosewill? No. You can't exactly feel a difference in PCB design. But I would buy another Filco over a QFR or Rosewill. I have an emotional investment in the Filco, into which the price I paid for them does play a role.

You said that the Tokyo Press switch doesn't feel like any rubber dome you've ever used. Well, they sure did to me. I've owned a RF and three HHKBs at different times. So you can't say I'm just guessing how they feel. I tried them. Several times, I tried to like Topre boards. Spent lots of money doing it, and always lost some on the resell. I just prefer MX boards. You will never convince me that Topre are "better," because I have been there and done that. They may feel better to you, but not to me. Keyboard feel is subjective. What is awesome for one person, might not be for someone else.

And for the record, I never stated or restated that Topre are "overpriced rubber domes." That was someone else. I think they are very high quality, well made rubber domes. Whether they are overpriced is for each to decide on his own.

I hope you thoroughly enjoy your Topres. Really. The OP was stating his opinion that Topre don't feel great to him, and that he may have made a poor decision in purchasing the keyboard. Others of us can sympathize with that. But for you, it may be the best keyboard ever made. I don't think anyone has a problem with that.

in memoriam

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:16:31 »
I was attempting to understand your marketing statement.

Offline uzoc

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:23:01 »
Black Microsoft Arc! Keep going back... add large font yellow stickers (for contrast) from EBay for $5.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:23:41 »
FWIW, I'm typing on a crappy rubber dome at the moment. Random offbrand Acer. :P

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:23:45 »
Geez - the point here was (mostly) do you consider Topre switches to be mechanical, which for the most part, they are. It's not a big dilemma. A buckling spring uses a membrane, the same as a rubber dome. But do we consider it a rubber dome? Hellz naw!

That's all I'm saying...

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:33:35 »

Wait a sec. So are you saying, people who express their liking for Cherry MX switches are ok, but people who express their liking of Topre are "being religious"?

The difference is when Topre users express their opinion as fact. Just look at some of the comments after your post to see what I mean.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:42:40 »
The difference is when Topre users express their opinion as fact. Just look at some of the comments after your post to see what I mean.

There were some points of contention, which were resolved, but nobody here was defending Topre vs MX. I was stating they ARE mechanical switches. They may have a rubber dome in them, but they are still mechanical, the same way that buckling springs have membranes. I stand by that. I never said anywhere, that Topre was better than X product.

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 14:42:48 »
FWIW, I'm typing on a crappy rubber dome at the moment. Random offbrand Acer. :P

Using a Dell RT7D50 rubber dome KB right now. My favorite keyboard until my CM QFTK gets here.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:09:23 »

When someone says, Topres are "overpriced rubber domes", that's not someone "expressing their opinion as fact"?

Whatever. I'm done with this argument.

I ****ing love my Topre. I'm not even compelled to diss Cherry MX switches and/or their fans, because my love for Topre is just simply a love for Topre.

If anyone compares Topre fans vs. Cherry MX fans, it's almost always Cherry fans dissing and/or talking down to Topre keyboards/fans, and rarely ever the other way around. This tells me this is an issue that lies with Cherry fans, but again, I'm done with it.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:15:43 »
If anyone compares Topre fans vs. Cherry MX fans, it's almost always Cherry fans dissing and/or talking down to Topre keyboards/fans, and rarely ever the other way around. This tells me this is an issue that lies with Cherry fans, but again, I'm done with it.

You're one of the few Topre chiefs (not the only one geeze calm down) who talk about preference instead of saying "once you go Topre you never go back to white guys."

Being a white guy (racists) I cling to my more logical side to try and take the comment at a localized value.  You feel white guys just don't do it for you anymore, and the Topre is what changed things.  Changed things in a big way. 

Why don't you love me?!?!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:18:59 »
Wait.... so you're saying the sole thing that separates a mechanical switch from a non-mechanical is a plastic housing that isn't part of the larger board?

dafuq?

Jesus christ dude... did you even read the 3 components that I mentioned, or are you just picking out parts of my posts? LOL

Also, see my previous post to this.
Jesus christ dude... did you even read the 3 components that I mentioned, or are you just picking out parts of my posts? LOL

Also, see my previous post to this.

Yes, I read the 3 components, and made the claim that by your own argument that the dome acts as a spring, most RD boards could be considered mechanical. Then you addressed a single component, that of a separate housing, rather than addressing all three. That led me to the conclusion that you were basing your argument on that single point.

Which is why I asked that question.

Not mad or religious about it, I love all keyboards. Was just trying to understand where you were coming from.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:23:27 »

We wouldn't have to defend it if the people who try out Topre and don't like it wouldn't get all butt-hurt about it and attack it *cought*tp*cough* ;) I rarely see a Topre lover come down on Cherry, but I frequently see the opposite.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:42:29 »

You're one of the few Topre chiefs (not the only one geeze calm down) who talk about preference instead of saying "once you go Topre you never go back to white guys."

Being a white guy (racists) I cling to my more logical side to try and take the comment at a localized value.  You feel white guys just don't do it for you anymore, and the Topre is what changed things.  Changed things in a big way. 

That's what it comes down to, isn't it? Cherry users ain't got love for themselves, so they lash out on Topre users.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:47:10 »

We wouldn't have to defend it if the people who try out Topre and don't like it wouldn't get all butt-hurt about it and attack it *cought*tp*cough* ;) I rarely see a Topre lover come down on Cherry, but I frequently see the opposite.

You have to understand, when someone drops $300 on a keyboard, just to find out it feels the same (or close to the same, anyway) as the $10 rubber dome they threw out when they discovered MX boards, they have a tendency to react by posting "Topre sucks." It may be of far superior build quality, but they can't get past the emotional barrier of feeling ripped off by spending so much on something that has a typing feel of a rubber dome.

Topre lovers, OTOH, don't have a strong emotional negativity toward MX boards, because most have progressed from RD to MX to Topre. They realize that MX boards are of a high quality (the good ones, anyway), so they don't feel like posting "MX sucks" after finding they prefer Topre.

No one is saying that Topre users are somehow less intelligent or something than MX users. But when someone has the reaction that causes them to post "Topre sucks," Topre users naturally feel slighted and rush in to defend their favorite switch. Hence this thread.

in memoriam

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:50:37 »

That's what it comes down to, isn't it? Cherry users ain't got love for themselves, so they lash out on Topre users.

Dunno if its love so much as pride.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 15:52:20 »

You have to understand, when someone drops $300 on a keyboard, just to find out it feels the same (or close to the same, anyway) as the $10 rubber dome they threw out when they discovered MX boards, they have a tendency to react by posting "Topre sucks." It may be of far superior build quality, but they can't get past the emotional barrier of feeling ripped off by spending so much on something that has a typing feel of a rubber dome.

Topre lovers, OTOH, don't have a strong emotional negativity toward MX boards, because most have progressed from RD to MX to Topre. They realize that MX boards are of a high quality (the good ones, anyway), so they don't feel like posting "MX sucks" after finding they prefer Topre.

No one is saying that Topre users are somehow less intelligent or something than MX users. But when someone has the reaction that causes them to post "Topre sucks," Topre users naturally feel slighted and rush in to defend their favorite switch. Hence this thread.

You are basing your argument on opinions, and using them as facts. Not everyone agrees as you do, that they feel like 10 dollar rubber domes. That is 100% opinion on your part.

Again, when people try to pass off their opinions as facts, you should expect them to speak up against it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:03:57 »
So how do you propose we have a discussion about things as subjective as how typing on one keyboard compares to typing on another, and the emotional response people have to that feeling? It's an integral part of this discussion, but you can't exactly put numbers to it.

It sounds to me like you are trying to discount what I have said, by saying that I'm trying to pass off opinions as facts, simply because you don't agree with what I've said.

in memoriam

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:12:03 »
I come here for the enthusiasm, not the hate! If you see somebody trolling, post a funny meme or something, idk  ;)

Or choose to post snide remarks and step on people's pride (enthusiasm,) if that makes you feel better. Shows your true state of mind.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:14:21 »
Gotta back my boy jd on this one. Any description of the typing experience of any keyboard will be 100% subjective. It goes without saying, meaning that when somebody says "Topre is the best.", it should be read as "Topre is the best, in my opinion". Likewise, when somebody says "Topre feels exactly like a rubber dome", it can be read as "Topre feels exactly like a rubber dome, to me."

What I think most Topre guys have a problem with is when the people who don't like Topre try go influence others who haven't formed an opinion yet into disliking Topre or not trying it out and forming their own opinion.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:14:59 »
So how do you propose we have a discussion about things as subjective as how typing on one keyboard compares to typing on another, and the emotional response people have to that feeling? It's an integral part of this discussion, but you can't exactly put numbers to it.

It sounds to me like you are trying to discount what I have said, by saying that I'm trying to pass off opinions as facts, simply because you don't agree with what I've said.

It's fine to have your opinion, but again, don't pass it off as fact - like when you say "It may be of far superior build quality, but they can't get past the emotional barrier of feeling ripped off by spending so much on something that has a typing feel of a rubber dome."

That's not a fact about the keyboard, that is just your personal experience. Sorry you felt that way after dropping so much money. Topres are definitely not for you. But I definitely would never compare them to a common rubber dome. I mean, if you really sit down and place a common rubber dome and an evenly weighted topre board, and can honestly say they feel the same then more power to you. But I believe not many people would agree - whether they like or dislike topre for whatever reason.

I am not here defending Topre vs anything. But they are certainly not in the same category as a common rubber dome.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:18:25 »
What I think most Topre guys have a problem with is when the people who don't like Topre try go influence others who haven't formed an opinion yet into disliking Topre or not trying it out and forming their own opinion.

I'm very careful about this. When I see entry-level enthusiasts discussing MX switches I'll join the convo and discuss MX.... even mentioning Topre is in a whole different ballpark. THAT would be straight up pride and prejudice.

Looking back on my post about Topre being Bently and MX being Toyota.... I kind of regret saying that now. I guess people are really sensitive to this stuff.

Edit;
I don't wanna get my tires slashed if I go to a meet. I LOVE YOU ALL! :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:40:38 by Flip »