Author Topic: Looking for a trackball  (Read 5167 times)

Offline ehird

Looking for a trackball
« on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 16:24:55 »
Yep, I'm back again...

I've been looking around for a trackball lately, and have run into an issue I've had with all mice as well: the third button being the wheel.

This is really awkward for things like middle-button pasting and besides, it isn't a very comfortable position for wheeling either.

Does anyone know of any trackballs similar to the following (minus the awkward position of the ball itself; pretend it's a bit lower)?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Looking for a trackball
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 16:28:26 »
Is the wheel a necessity?

Offline ehird

Looking for a trackball
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 16:34:54 »
I think so, but just in case, what would you suggest if I said it wasn't? Let me guess, an old Logitech Marble? :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Looking for a trackball
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 16:41:15 »
Yeah - I mean, you basically drew one :P

What about big-ball trackballs like the Kensington Expert Mouse or CST?

Offline ehird

Looking for a trackball
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 16:42:57 »
I have small hands, so they look good for playing Enigma and terrible for anything else.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Looking for a trackball
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 16:44:13 »
Ah, Im one of those people with big hands that these companies seem to make all their stuff for =P

What about this?

Ive never used one but I've seen them in stores. I wouldn't describe them as big.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2009, 16:48:01 by ch_123 »

Offline ehird

Looking for a trackball
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 16:53:41 »
Saw that earlier. Issues that I can see: Fingertip based, wireless (just not worth the fuss with Logitech products), large ball (straight from the features list!), way too many buttons, and the buttons seem awkward. The TrackMan Wheel is closer, but I really would like a proper third button.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Looking for a trackball
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 16:59:36 »
You could get a Trackman Marble Wheel which, although has the third button integrated into the wheel, has a nice gap between the right and left buttons, allowing you to rest your entire hand on it.

Apologies if this was something you had also already considered.

Offline ehird

Looking for a trackball
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 17:30:20 »
It's pretty nice, but the middle button is pretty important to me. Even just replacing the wheel with an extra button would make it a strong contender (and making it a bit wider in the button area and putting a wheel to the left even more so... but that's even more of a pipe dream).

Edit:

Yes please!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Looking for a trackball
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 18:26:57 »
You can use most scroll wheels as middle buttons if you press them down.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ehird

Looking for a trackball
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 18:39:36 »
Uh, yes, of course I'm well aware of that. However, in environments that use the middle button extensively, it's uncomfortable; especially when an accidental scroll could make you lose your place.

Offline rdjack21

Looking for a trackball
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 21:21:21 »
Quote from: ehird;130915

Edit:

Show Image

Yes please!

I have a few of those around here but I'm not selling them. But you can find them on Ebay.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline ehird

Looking for a trackball
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 November 2009, 21:31:04 »
Quote from: ripster;130925
Maybe you could grow bigger hands?
Show Image

I could just apply the logic in the image in reverse... I seem to remember some emails about that being flagged as spam. Will have to dig them up.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Looking for a trackball
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 00:12:09 »
i picked up two legacy Logitech trackballs at a flea market today, and was reminded. A large pool-cue sized trackball is by far a better cursor controller than a smaller-than golfball sized trackball by the same company.

For those who care, $5 apiece for a Trackman Marble FX PS/2 large ball, and a Cordless TrackMan FX USB large ball

I do own the ADB version of the Logitech Marble drawn in the first post. It's fine except when compared with a larger more-massive trackball. And I absolutely hated the marble-sized trackballs on my Powerbook Duos as much as I loved their keyboards. Trackballs should be spinnable with a slow and gradual end of momentum, best provided by massive, large ball on smooth rollers.

Edit;
Ripster, are those red arcade buttons under your left thumb for primary and secondary mouse buttons, and do those mini phono jacks disconnect the trackball clickers when inserted? Wowsa. You photographed that setup earlier on the left of a keyboard, but the photo didn't show the wiring of the arcade buttons

« Last Edit: Sun, 08 November 2009, 00:22:13 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Looking for a trackball
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 03:45:46 »
No, Ripster has the model where the plug in buttons augment the original buttons, not replace them.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in a Trackman Marble Wheel, let me know.

Offline ehird

Looking for a trackball
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 06:37:39 »
I might be interested (in England). Depends on the price.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Looking for a trackball
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 09:20:08 »
PM sent.

Quote from: microsoft windows;130917
You can use most scroll wheels as middle buttons if you press them down.

Very much software/driver dependent. That causes problems when the drivers don't work with your system, or for your software.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 November 2009, 09:26:27 by ch_123 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
Looking for a trackball
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 08 November 2009, 09:53:12 »
I had some problems with the older Trackman with that, but that was probably more of an issue with the way I held/used it. My Steelseries Ikari with it's reasonably stiff wheel doesn't really suffer from that issue.

Either way, the Kensington and CST with their seperate scroll wheels dont have this issue.

Offline ehird

Looking for a trackball
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 November 2009, 13:14:13 »
Using a Logitech TrackMan Marble as we speak. This will require a lot of adjustment... including growing bigger hands.