Author Topic: Cutting mats for mouse?  (Read 16247 times)

Offline CX23882

Cutting mats for mouse?
« on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 11:19:24 »
Does anyone here use cutting mats with optical mice, and how well do they work? I'm talking about the green "self-healing" mats. Most important, do they give too much resistance to moving the mouse around (they always worked fine with traditional ball mice, but optical mice I'm not so sure about). I hear that green is a good colour for red LED-based mice to track (I had some issues with a Microsoft mouse, and they listed a load of colours that they don't recommend for optimal tracking including, blue), so that shouldn't be an issue.

For the past few months I've just been using the mouse directly on the desk, but I can see that it's starting to wear the surface shiny, and wonder how long it will be before I wear the colour off as well.

Offline AndrewZorn

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 11:59:51 »
it might be relevant to your interests... but i long ago discovered a very cheap plasticy mousepad (so also cheap to replace, when it wears) that can be cut to size:

the covers on these notebooks feel just like the $20+ pro gaymen mousepads, one side being rougher than the other if that is what you prefer (i do).

only downside is you have to find a way to keep it down, whether it is tape or putting an edge under your keyboard or something.
of course, if you want to get involved with it, you can always affix it to a piece of sheet metal, or rubber sheet, or something to make it more useable...

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 12:14:23 »
I mentioned to a friend of mine on another forum about another friend who uses a granite  tile so he ended up going to HomeDepot and bought a 12x12 White Ceramic Tile and a Con-Tac linear so the Tile wouldn't glide and he says his Sidewinder tracks much better to quote him "no lag". it cost him under $15 USD I think.

see the Razer Pro|Pad, Megasoma and the Destructor Special Edition are popular for the Philips Twin-Eye Laser Sensor in the Razer Mamba because they are all white and the color white reflects light where the color black absorbs light.

if you want to test your optical sensor try tracking on a white sheet of paper.

Offline itlnstln

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 12:15:04 »
Affixing it to that rubbery shelf liner might work. Shelf liner solves a lot of unwanted movement issues.

Offline itlnstln

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 12:20:32 »
Quote from: lmnop;132902
Con-Tac linear so the Tile wouldn't glide

Quote from: itlnstln;132903
Affixing it to that rubbery shelf liner might work. Shelf liner solves a lot of unwanted movement issues.

Si-si-si-simulpost

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 12:28:27 »

one more thing if you are going the tile route make sure you pick the right tile for you.

you are looking for a non-glossy tile with a consistent pattern no flowers, octagons, splatters or marble. you want microdots like a wood grain. the surface should feel in between fine and coarse. if it's too coarse it will be too much traction and wear down the teflon feet but if it's too fine it will glide all over the place.
« Last Edit: Mon, 16 November 2009, 13:49:51 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 13:47:39 »

Offline Rajagra

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 November 2009, 15:18:30 »
Quote from: CX23882;132876
Does anyone here use cutting mats with optical mice, and how well do they work? I'm talking about the green "self-healing" mats. Most important, do they give too much resistance to moving the mouse around

Depends what you're used to. I used A2-sized cutting mats with mice for a while and they worked fine. I use glass mouse mats now, they just work so smoothly, but if I wanted something HUGE I wouldn't hesitate in going back to the cutting mats. They make good writing surfaces too. My desk is too textured for writing on with thin paper. It's embarrassing when you mess up a signature because of that.

Offline exousia

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 November 2009, 14:50:50 »
I just recieved a Razer Megasoma mouse pad which uses a translucent silicon.

It tracks amazingly well.

Offline AndrewZorn

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 November 2009, 14:53:08 »
there was a $10 HP rebranded version of that (supposedly) a little while ago, knew i should have got it
and probably would have, but i was a little hesitant to how much it was worth it to save seeing as how my mousepad would have a huge HP logo

Offline ed_

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 November 2009, 23:34:43 »
Quote from: exousia;133776
I just recieved a Razer Megasoma mouse pad which uses a translucent silicon.

It tracks amazingly well.

I entered this thread with the intention of mentioning that pad, but to wonder if it differs from the $9 silicone baking sheets at Target.  I'm going to have to see how well one of those would seem to work.

Offline Arc'xer

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 November 2009, 02:31:37 »
Quote from: ed_;133978
I entered this thread with the intention of mentioning that pad, but to wonder if it differs from the $9 silicone baking sheets at Target.  I'm going to have to see how well one of those would seem to work.

Just remember that there's a large variety cloth, plastic, hybrid, coated etc.etc. You might want to consider what you like before considering buying one.

Most people are a little hesitant on buying Razer pads mostly the price. But some of them don't like the performance.

And to your question yes, a mouse pad can provide a better surface or offer a different feel. Some mouse pads can even cause a mouse to track worse or track better. Some have more friction or are slicker list goes on. Just like they sell mouse feet as some of the pads can eat away faster hence the different surface. The thing is you should do some research before deciding plus value.

Offline ed_

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 November 2009, 14:58:39 »
Quote from: Arc'xer;133998
Just remember that there's a large variety cloth, plastic, hybrid, coated etc.etc. You might want to consider what you like before considering buying one.

Most people are a little hesitant on buying Razer pads mostly the price. But some of them don't like the performance.

And to your question yes, a mouse pad can provide a better surface or offer a different feel. Some mouse pads can even cause a mouse to track worse or track better. Some have more friction or are slicker list goes on. Just like they sell mouse feet as some of the pads can eat away faster hence the different surface. The thing is you should do some research before deciding plus value.

I'm not sure if you quoted the wrong comment, or if I was not clear; I wasn't talking about different types of mouse pads, materials or performance differences between them.  I was saying that the $50 Razer silicone rubber mouse pad looks no different from a $9 silicone rubber baking sheet, which is formulated to resist sticking.

Next time I'm in one of those types of stores I'll have to see if it would work.

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 November 2009, 15:31:20 »
majority keyboards all look the same but performance and price vary. from the Japanese graphs the more expensive the surface the better the tracking and speed. it's not just materials but the pattern as well. it appears the engineers at SteelSeries and Razer know what they are doing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2009, 15:33:32 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 19 November 2009, 15:42:12 »
Quote from: ed_;134139
I'm not sure if you quoted the wrong comment, or if I was not clear; I wasn't talking about different types of mouse pads, materials or performance differences between them.  I was saying that the $50 Razer silicone rubber mouse pad looks no different from a $9 silicone rubber baking sheet, which is formulated to resist sticking.

Next time I'm in one of those types of stores I'll have to see if it would work.

you forgot surface pattern. very important.

Offline ed_

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 19 November 2009, 19:36:57 »
Quote from: lmnop;134187
you forgot surface pattern. very important.

No; I merely said that I plan on getting one and testing it.

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 02:48:59 »
a $9 silicone rubber baking sheet doesn't have the horizontal pattern a Megasoma has and a friendly warning the Megasoma doesn't like teflon feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2-tDe5gP7s

bjorn3D tested it on several mice and the same result.

you need to be clear on what you say. that post was very vague.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2009, 02:52:57 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 02:57:24 »
a $9 silicone rubber baking sheet doesn't have the horizontal pattern a Megasoma has and a friendly warning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2-tDe5gP7s

you need to be clear on what you say. that post was very vague.
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2009, 03:00:45 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 03:03:39 »
a $9 silicone rubber baking sheet doesn't have the horizontal pattern a Megasoma has. is the air in your head dissipating now?
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2009, 03:11:12 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 03:45:58 »
replicating materials is one thing but a pattern is not as easy. you need to purchase a silicone baking sheet that has a similar pattern and from browsing google images I can't see it happening.

« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2009, 03:51:33 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 03:51:45 »
I was saying that the $50 Razer silicone rubber mouse pad looks no different from a $9 silicone rubber baking sheet, which is formulated to resist sticking.

this is what I am talking about.

I had a difficult time finding a white silicone baking sheet in google and the ones I did find do not have a similar pattern.

« Last Edit: Fri, 20 November 2009, 04:12:39 by lmnop »

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 20 November 2009, 04:12:55 »
I was saying that the $50 Razer silicone rubber mouse pad looks no different from a $9 silicone rubber baking sheet, which is formulated to resist sticking.

I had a difficult time finding a white silicone baking sheet in google and the ones I did find do not have a similar pattern.

if you find a white silicone baking sheet with tens of thousands of horizontal lines you let me know :)

Offline Rajagra

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 21 November 2009, 00:58:32 »
Quote from: lmnop;134430
if you find a white silicone baking sheet with tens of thousands of horizontal lines you let me know :)

I daresay an appropriate grade of sandpaper will give an appropriate texture.

I've gone back to using a cutting mat for now. I had tried using a low dpi for gaming, and it became apparent that my G9 on glass mats was failing at the speeds that became necessary. Seems better on a plain green rubber cutting mat. It even feels ok. Not as smooth as glass, but the drag is consistent, so it's no handicap.

Offline ed_

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 21 November 2009, 03:16:01 »
Quote from: lmnop;134430

Those pictures and their official marketing photos make it look like standard silicone rubber.  You don't need lines; my hard gaming pad tracks perfectly with an arbitrarily bumpy pattern, and my mouse tracks just as well on a silicone rubber spatula.

Sometime after I move I'll compare food-grade and industrial silicone rubber to see which provides the better feel.

Offline lmnop

Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 21 November 2009, 05:59:36 »
ed you have a lot to learn :)

Offline NOMiS

• http://teamvga.com
Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 22 November 2009, 12:16:22 »
I used to use a cutting mat as a mouse pad (green self healing one). It actually didn't wear for the whole time I used it. It does have a lot more friction, and it doesn't have any grip on your desk. I noticed tracking problems with my G5 on the side with lines. The blank side was fine though. I would just go with a normal cloth pad. You can get them really cheap.
Steelseries Xai
Poker X KBC (Red)

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
Cutting mats for mouse?
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 23 November 2009, 07:28:53 »
Quote from: ripster;135280
And big.
Show Image

Xtrak Ripper XXL here.   Nice for keyboard trays too - just cut to size.

Yes, the famous desk-sized mousepad. One of these days I'll take a picture of mine.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)