Author Topic: Custom PBT keycaps in Germany?  (Read 3239 times)

Offline nand

Custom PBT keycaps in Germany?
« on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 12:53:17 »
I'm wondering if it's possible at all to get keycaps with the following requirements, preferably under $100:

• Available in or ships to Germany
  • 105-key ISO layout
  • Fits a Filco Majestouch 2
  • Made from PBT instead of ABS
  • Completely blank
  • (Optional) No nub on the F/J keys
  • (Optional) No circle on the Windows key

I realize these demands might be somewhat unrealistic, but I want to know how many of them I can fulfill. I found some keycaps that match these or similar requirements but they're all for the ANSI layout instead of the ISO layout and thus won't fit my keyboard, not to mention missing a key.

I really hate these stock ABS caps. I have a set of PBT caps lying around (from the G80-3000) but unfortunately they're very cheaply printed, so I can't use them at all (I feel the letters under my fingers). I still feel the Filco letters faintly, but they're not as noticeable, so it's still better to use the Filco ABS over the Cherry PBTs just for that reason. But custom, blank PBT caps would be perfect.

Can anyone help me out? I don't know where to go, since I can find nothing here in Germany, not even on ebay.

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 14:06:09 »
blankpbt/blankstd/color
Blank/space/color
Blankpbt/BLANKJRET/color

Or something similar... Check group buy round 4 wiki
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Doubleshot_Replacements_Round_4
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 December 2011, 16:10:20 by mbc »

Offline nand

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 16:50:23 »
Thanks, and damn, seems like I missed the deadline by exactly a day. Do you know how long it will be until the next?

Offline mbc

• -delete-
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 17:07:46 »
you can still order!
just send 7bit_r4 a message with your order and email as described in the wiki

Offline nand

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 17:34:02 »
Done. I've sent a PM on this forum, even though the wiki mentions 7bit_r4 on deskthority.net.

I assume they are one and the same / both work, or should I register there and send it to that user instead?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 31 December 2011, 10:03:12 »
I'm not even on Deskthority. The 7bit_r4 here on geekhack is the one I use. You should get an email soon.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 December 2011, 23:41:48 by dorkvader »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 31 December 2011, 10:33:59 »
Just a note: For 7bit's group order, you should order on Geekhack or on Deskthority. The robot's username is the same on both boards: "7bit_r4". If you order on both boards, you get two orders. There is no way to merge the two orders, other than 7bit doing it manually.

BTW, black G80-3000 have keys made of thick POM, not PBT. They have been laser-etched, so even if you remove the white infill, there is a relief still on the surface. Maybe you could have the keys sand-blasted, though.. I have not tried that. (but I want to)
The second iteration of Das Keyboard was in fact a G80-3000 with blank black POM keys. The current iteration has ABS keys, if I am not mistaken.