Author Topic: .  (Read 67153 times)

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Re: The Wetshaving Thread
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 09:32:06 »
It is the Gilette fusion. It was actually 15 euros for 4 blades (still outrageous). I do buy the larger packages, but am considering to try something a little cheaper. The main reason I am still using this is laziness to try something else really.

While technically using a Gillette Fusion could be considered wet shaving,  generally when people say "wet shave" they mean shaving with a straight or double-edge vintage style razor.   Fusion is a cartridge razor. See this post for an example of the inventory of a wet shaving enthusiast.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 04:08:50 »
It is the Gilette fusion. It was actually 15 euros for 4 blades (still outrageous). I do buy the larger packages, but am considering to try something a little cheaper. The main reason I am still using this is laziness to try something else really.

While technically using a Gillette Fusion could be considered wet shaving,  generally when people say "wet shave" they mean shaving with a straight or double-edge vintage style razor.   Fusion is a cartridge razor. See this post for an example of the inventory of a wet shaving enthusiast.

Ah, I see. In Dutch we generally refer to both as wet shaving. Lost in translation :)
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 10:28:29 »
With regards for grain vs against the grain. My first pass is with the grain (except directly around the mouth which I do 90' too).

Second pass is against the grain.

It's always very smooth and close and I never have ingrowing hairs.

[)amien

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 11:23:41 »
I think anyone who wet shaves owes it to themselves to buy a sampler pack of blades. I learned that the Japanese Feathers are too sharp for my skin. But the Derby's and Gillete razors allow me to get the job done quickly with minimal cuts.

Definite on the sampler pack, everyone has different preferences. 

I have three vintage Gillettes from the 60's/70's two adjustable and one fixed.

I either go with Feather or Derby, sometimes Astra which I'm out of at the moment.

Depends on my mood and how often I shave.  Derby is very forgiving but not as close as the others.

I guess if you have bumpy skin you need a duller blade.  I prefer Feather to Derby.  Derby starts out with a smooth dull edge.  While it doesn't cut you very easily, it also doesn't cut hair very easily or cut close to the skin.  I'm using Derby now and it takes me like 10 passes to get it as close as 2 passes from a Feather.

Offline nar

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 12:46:34 »
I use a straight razor, I think the total cost for me was around $100 for the whole kit.

Got a vintage straight razor, basic leather strop, balsa wood pasted strop and styptic for around $50 from whippeddog.
The drug stores here sell Proraso so I'm using that with a Edwin Jager Badger Brush and a Alum Block, another $30 or so.
I then got a nicely sized ceramic bowl for a shave bowl from a local chinese houseware store for like $5.
Picked up some Feather Aftershave for about $10-$15.
Finally I used the Tsubaki Oil I use as a blade oil to keep the razor oiled and as a preshave oil.

Works well and I only need to pay money for more Proraso and maybe a honing every once in a while when the balsa wood strop doesn't cut it anymore.
Starting to feel the need to buy a better strop and razor though, hope it doesn't start the ball rolling, collecting straights is definately more expensive than just DEs.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 00:05:06 »
I use a straight razor, I think the total cost for me was around $100 for the whole kit.

Got a vintage straight razor, basic leather strop, balsa wood pasted strop and styptic for around $50 from whippeddog.
The drug stores here sell Proraso so I'm using that with a Edwin Jager Badger Brush and a Alum Block, another $30 or so.
I then got a nicely sized ceramic bowl for a shave bowl from a local chinese houseware store for like $5.
Picked up some Feather Aftershave for about $10-$15.
Finally I used the Tsubaki Oil I use as a blade oil to keep the razor oiled and as a preshave oil.

Works well and I only need to pay money for more Proraso and maybe a honing every once in a while when the balsa wood strop doesn't cut it anymore.
Starting to feel the need to buy a better strop and razor though, hope it doesn't start the ball rolling, collecting straights is definately more expensive than just DEs.

Whippeddog's $10 strop is nice.  I've been using it for years now.  Was the vintage straight razor honed before you used it?  If not, it would need to be.  Also, I hone and sell vintage straight razors if anyone is interested.

Offline nar

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 10:47:05 »
Whippeddog's $10 strop is nice.  I've been using it for years now.  Was the vintage straight razor honed before you used it?  If not, it would need to be.  Also, I hone and sell vintage straight razors if anyone is interested.

All of whippeddog's SRs are honed when sold.
Keyboards: Topre HE0100 | REALFORCE 103UB & 104UB-DK | FILCO Majestouch 2 Ai Cherry MX Blue | CHERRY G84-4101SPAUS

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 11:57:28 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:35:44 by esoomenona »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 12:14:24 »
So I'm trying to update the Resources post on the first page, and I'm feeling like this isn't such a good idea... It's been a long while since I've browsed shaving gear, and now I'm looking at all the things I wanted and some new things that weren't available back then...

SAVE ME!

No, Lieutenant, your men are already dead.

or

We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 22:11:18 »

All of whippeddog's SRs are honed when sold.
Whoops, missed that part.  Anyway, a Norton 4000/8000 waterstone is the most popular for maintaining SR edges.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 22:17:19 »
i use an old safety razor but i stopped using soap because it takes too long and the benefit is minimal for me compared to barbasol (i grow facial hair about as fast as a newborn baby grows hair on the bottom of its feet). now i stick with the safety razor because it's cheap (i just buy the cheapest blades i can get) and doesn't bother my face as much as a 3 blade razor does.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 22:39:00 »
i use an old safety razor but i stopped using soap because it takes too long and the benefit is minimal for me compared to barbasol (i grow facial hair about as fast as a newborn baby grows hair on the bottom of its feet). now i stick with the safety razor because it's cheap (i just buy the cheapest blades i can get) and doesn't bother my face as much as a 3 blade razor does.
I went from Barbasol to $10 shaving soap, to $55 shaving soap, then back to Barbasol again for the same reasons.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 01:35:35 »
lol I just shave with an electric shaver. Anything wrong with that? Why is wetshaving so much better?

This thread makes it seem like shaving is a sport or something. Or even a hobby.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 01:50:16 »
C'mon that huge post shouldn't be that invisible... http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43145.msg878779#msg878779
It's partly a hobby.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 01:58:45 »
Somehow I actually missed that large post from just skimming the thread. Gonna go back and read it all now  ^-^

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 02:48:10 »
I'm too lazy, using one of these babies every day

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 04:27:32 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:36:12 by esoomenona »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:26:06 »
lol I just shave with an electric shaver. Anything wrong with that? Why is wetshaving so much better?

This thread makes it seem like shaving is a sport or something. Or even a hobby.
Shaving is something you do probably every day, just like typing on a keyboard. Just like using rubber domes, there are better things out there than your electrics or cartridge. Of course, people have turned something functional into a hobby, but coming from this site, is that something new to you?

Exactly!  Enjoyment of the mundane.   
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:28:55 »

Shaving is something you do probably every day, just like typing on a keyboard. Just like using rubber domes, there are better things out there than your electrics or cartridge. Of course, people have turned something functional into a hobby, but coming from this site, is that something new to you?

Exactly!  Enjoyment of the mundane.

I still have serious *serious* fears about being in the hospital for this.  It's irritating.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:37:18 »
I went from Barbasol to $10 shaving soap, to $55 shaving soap, then back to Barbasol again for the same reasons.

I don't like the stuff in cans as they all smell like lighter fluid to me now, even the scented stuff. 

I stick with Van Der Hagen soap.  Dirt cheap and works great.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 20:07:53 »

I don't like the stuff in cans as they all smell like lighter fluid to me now, even the scented stuff. 

I stick with Van Der Hagen soap.  Dirt cheap and works great.
I must love the smell of lighter fluid then. Barbasol smells great.

Offline pgeiger

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 12:19:06 »
What is it about us obsessive types? 

Do I wet Shave?  OF COURSE I WET SHAVE.

Wilkinson Swords - the only blade that touches my sweet face.

Also - Prorasso is great for making sure I get a clean shave with no burn every time.

Offline nar

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 14:28:04 »
Prorasso is also great for ensuring that you actually get lather when lathering in what is possibly the hardest water in the entire country, I believe my city's water department is now a leading authority on testing water softeners =_=.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 14:41:45 »
What's the best kind of hair for a brush? Badger hair?

Any interest in custom turned brushes out of domestic or exotic hardwoods?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 14:44:25 »

Interest!

...and badger hair. :)

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 14:46:28 »

I have no brush yet (have not received mine yet), but from what I read, badger is better because it is easier to make a lather (incorporate air faster or something like that). Still, it's a personal choice. Also, there are different quality of badger hair (pure, best, silver, others?). Some are stiffer, some have the silver tip (esthetic), but in the end I never tried one so I can't tell. If I was to buy one right now, from what I have read and for the price, I would choose "best badger hair" because they are supposed to be more firm and I think I would prefer that.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 14:46:36 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:37:05 by esoomenona »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 14:49:02 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:37:13 by esoomenona »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 14:57:05 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:37:22 by esoomenona »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 23:19:17 »
I looked into it a bit and I can get grade "A", "AAA", and "silver tip" in badger hair. I didn't see and boar hair or synthetic brushes.

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 23:35:42 »
clearly whatever costs the most is the best, as is the opinion in most consumer 'hobbies' for dudes with cash to blow
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 04:39:21 »
Man esoomenona, you're just a fountain of info when it comes to shaving.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 05:16:45 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:37:33 by esoomenona »

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 16:00:19 »
Just picked up Prorasso soap.  Very nice change from cream.  Didn't even need my normal pre-shave oil.  Nice menthol feeling during the shave is very nice.  Looking forward to trying some Feathers that i just ordered as well.   ;D
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 16:54:12 »
I have been using a Parker 86R butterfly Double Edged saftey razor. So much smoother than those ridiculous cartridge razors and eventually a lot less blood too, LOL.
For those little burns and bleeders there is always alum.

I love, love stick soaps. The ones I have from Calani are not being made anymore unfortunately but I have an adress that still has them. Still, one sticks lasts me close to a year so I am not complaining.
Was looking for a way to bring this way of shaving with me while traveling, so I bought a travel brush with me. No idea what hair it is. But it smells horribly, like ass. :D
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 17:15:27 »
I looked into it a bit and I can get grade "A", "AAA", and "silver tip" in badger hair. I didn't see and boar hair or synthetic brushes.

Are you looking for knots separately, or for brushes?

I'd be buying the brushes (I think this is what you're calling a knot, but I'm not sure) and making the handles.

Offline codymaust

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 17:22:57 »
I got my first DE about 3 months ago, a Merkur. I've been using Feather blades since the original Merkur dulled. Had quite a few blood baths O_O

Using some hand made bay rum soap from a local shop that my GF got me a little while ago, works really well!

Shaving is enjoyable now though. I actually find the process very soothing...

I need to get a new pack of blades soon, and can't resist another razor haha

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 17:42:01 »
I was talking to my local barber about DE razor shaving and he suggested Feather as it was his razor of choice. He noted though, that they are not sharper, as I had heard, but instead they were flexier blades.

I'm apprehensive to start with Feather blades, from what I've gathered you can slice yourself pretty bad with them if you aren't careful and so far have had zero issue with the Merkur blades I got at the local shaving/ knife shop.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 May 2013, 17:44:29 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 17:48:15 »
I was talking to my local barber about DE razor shaving and he suggested Feather as it was his razor of choice. He noted though, that they are not sharper, as I had heard, but instead they were flexier blades.

I'm apprehensive to start with Feather blades, from what I've gathered you can slice yourself pretty bad with them if you aren't careful.

Don't start with Feathers.

It's been a while since I compared, but I think Feathers are actually thinner (which I suppose would make them flexier).   Whatever the reason, the end result is they are not as forgiving of bad technique.  I would suspect your local barber has his technique down quite well.

Get yourself a sampler pack of blades.  They'll be some crap in there, but you'll have a good selection of options to choose from and your favorite may not be what someone else would choose.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #89 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 18:21:14 »

Are you looking for knots separately, or for brushes?

I'd be buying the brushes (I think this is what you're calling a knot, but I'm not sure) and making the handles.

The "knot" is the hair with no handle.

Here's a link I found (first google link I found, no experience with it at all):  http://thegoldennib.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_42
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Glissant

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 00:33:51 »
Going from Gillette to a safety razor was an insanely fun thing to do. Trying a straight razor was even crazier. I really can't imagine much more manly things than removing your manly facial hair with a razor sharp knife.
My next acquisition will surely be a straight razor or two, but that will have to wait a couple months as traveling with a straight razor might prove to be difficult xD.

Which reminds me; does anyone have anything to say about what to try if I always end up with bumps/cuts on throat? I just can't seem to avoid it there. 

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 00:35:20 »
I really can't imagine much more manly things than removing your manly facial hair with a razor sharp knife.

An axe

you lose

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 00:36:26 »
I realized that my shaving technique just needed a bit of lotion post-shave. For the better or the worse, I shan't be investing my money in wetshaving.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #93 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 00:38:40 »
I really can't imagine much more manly things than removing your manly facial hair with a razor sharp knife.

An axe

you lose

Since I am half French half Norwegian you will have to excuse my poor grammatical prowess. I meant to say that I couldn't imagine many more manly things. Shaving with an axe or a chainsaw are a couple of said "more" things.
Now be helpful or go get the package I sent you!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 00:40:42 »

An axe

you lose

Since I am half French half Norwegian you will have to excuse my poor grammatical prowess. I meant to say that I couldn't imagine many more manly things. Shaving with an axe or a chainsaw are a couple of said "more" things.
Now be helpful or go get the package I sent you!

I'll get it soon, have finals and stuff to do

Offline Glissant

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 00:41:59 »

Best of luck though =D.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #96 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 21:27:44 »
Going from Gillette to a safety razor was an insanely fun thing to do. Trying a straight razor was even crazier. I really can't imagine much more manly things than removing your manly facial hair with a razor sharp knife.
My next acquisition will surely be a straight razor or two, but that will have to wait a couple months as traveling with a straight razor might prove to be difficult xD.

Which reminds me; does anyone have anything to say about what to try if I always end up with bumps/cuts on throat? I just can't seem to avoid it there. 

Straight razor shaving is much easier than it appears to be.  You can angle the blade up to like 40 degrees without cutting yourself; providing you don't press too hard.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 09:04:29 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:38:28 by esoomenona »

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 16:31:39 »
I've wanted to learn shaving with a straight razor for a while, but the start up cost combined with the time taken, possibility of serious injuries on myself or one of my sons who get ahold of it, and I've stuck with buying safety razors in bulk. it's that pricey one from gilette, I can't remember which one. We just buy the bulk packs from costco, I think it's 50 or 60 bucks for 24 heads, which isn't bad considering I can usually get a couple of weeks out of each (Generally shave 3 times per week)
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 16:44:57 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:38:37 by esoomenona »