• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:16:53 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:31:41 by esoomenona »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: The Wetshaving Thread
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:17:51 »
I'm interested in it. My cartridge razor always gives me bad, uneven cuts and irritates my skin. Any recommendations? I don't want to spend too much on it mind.

edit : holy crap moose that's quite a collection.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:19:38 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:32:01 by esoomenona »

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:20:20 »
I'm going to be building up the second post with resources that I hope will help you find what you're looking for. Check back there a bit later.
Sounds good. Thanks!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 11:21:09 »
I tried using a safety razor for a while. I'll post my "vintage" stuff later.

I found that I get the most comfortable shave with a Mach 3 and Edge shaving gel. I tried the Fusion for about a year, and went back to the Mach 3.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 12:42:01 »
Got fed up paying $$$ for Gillette Mach-3 blades I went back to basics and picked up a Merkur 12C (now discontinued, hence crazy price).  It's an open-tooth variety so you need to be a little steadier but cuts really close. Has a nice heft to it that helps keep the shave smooth and the top comes off so it's very easy to clean.

Picked up some blade sampler packs via Amazon and have been working my way through them. Current favorite is the Gillette 7 O'clock green. Kind of ironic given this venture was to get away from their stuff. On the plus side I'm finding most of these blades last about a month and work out at around 25 cents.  There's not been an awful lot of difference in the blades apart from the first shave or two and how quickly they dull. The Feather blades are incredibly sharp and the only one where I nick myself more than the Mach-3.

Parker Silvertip shave brush which I have to admit I don't soak as much as I probably should. Either my face doesn't need much lathering or the soap is good. Brush isn't too hard, or too soft and comes with a little stand.

Favorite soap so far is Col Conk Shaving Soap Bay Rum although I've not tried many. It sits in one of those small aluminum tins which holds up incredibly well to abuse.

Open to suggestions for additional soaps and blades to try.

[)amien
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 12:47:10 by DamienG »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 12:58:02 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:32:15 by esoomenona »

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 12:58:21 »
I have been thinking about wet shaving for a few years, but never did any research on it before like 2-3 months ago.

I am in the process of saving money to buy myself a straight razor and all the stuff needed to use it and keep it in good shape. I also order the dreadnought shaving kit on massdrop and I should receive it very soon.

Here's my actual wishlist. If you can provide comments on my choices it would be appreciated!

20793-0

It's a lot of money for all of it, but at the same time I should be good for a LONG time with these. But since it's a lot of money, I don't want to make bad choices. Right now, my main interrogation is the width of the straight razor. I was aiming for 6/8 until I was this Hart Steel 7/8 cocobolo!

By the way moose, you got all that stuff in a year?!?  :eek: :eek: :eek:
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:06:17 »
I just noticed your shaving station has one of my favorite amusing little ads:

I need to try wet shaving some time in the future.  My skin absolutely hates me shaving, but I hear wet shaving helps with that.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:06:25 »
I tried using a safety razor for a while. I'll post my "vintage" stuff later.

I found that I get the most comfortable shave with a Mach 3 and Edge shaving gel. I tried the Fusion for about a year, and went back to the Mach 3.
I always tell people, if you don't have any problem with shaving with a cartridge, or you definitely don't wish to spend more time shaving, then don't try to fix what isn't broken. BUT, if your shaving experiences suck, you really should give this a go.

Hehe. In theory, wet shaving can make you save money. But I am pretty sure that it is as true as it is true that in theory, buying a mechanical keyboard that last for 10+ years is economic. Yea then 2 months later you have enough mechanical keyboards and keycaps to type nonstop for the rest of your life and even more.

Personaly, I have a rather sensitive skin and I can't stand my razor anymore. But I think that the main razor for the move is that I consider that there's not enough "manly" moments in our life nowadays and shaving with a straight razor would be one of these rare moments!  ;D
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:14:39 »
Adding myself to the thread for tracking.

I've tried a couple of single-blade razors, now I'll have to see what brand they are.  Big fan of wet shaving, but it is more time intensive.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:15:33 »
I use a safety razor also. They are alright, but shaving isn't exactly pleasurable. I'd like to get a wetshaver (is that the correct term?), but no idea where to start really.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:18:02 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:32:39 by esoomenona »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:18:51 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:32:48 by esoomenona »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:20:19 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:32:56 by esoomenona »

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:23:33 »
I've had a Merkur razor and Simpson brush (Pure Badger! ... sure beats rat hair ;D) for about 15 years now. I don't bother with fancy shaving soaps. I just use a cheap 99¢ pure olive oil bar that I also use for my hands and in the shower. The brush gets it into a good lather.

The Merkur razor is great - except after many years use, the segments come apart. (poor welding?) It's still useable, but I have to be careful that it doesn't come apart when I'm shaving.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:25:57 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:33:06 by esoomenona »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:33:35 »
This is my vintage gear:

Old Spice "Ship Friendship" mug with some kind of Bay Rum scented soap, plastic handled brush, Personna blades, Gillette razor.

Not sure what model this is. I think it was made in the '50s. On the underside it says "REG U.S.         PAT. OFF" and the Gillette arrow logo with "MADE IN U.S.A."
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:39:43 »
I keep thinking I should try this as I grow a beard mainly because shaving isn't one of my favorite things.

But:
1. I don't like shaving, in terms of the act itself and don't see myself wanting to increase the time it takes to do it.  I already feel like it takes forever when I use a modern razor and gel as I have to make multiple passes and still have patches of rough stubble instead of smooth skin.

2.  I don't really like the idea of risking face cuts.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:41:12 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:33:22 by esoomenona »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:43:56 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:33:31 by esoomenona »

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:45:33 »
I always get really red spotty skin after shaving. Also, the shave isn't as close as I'd like (even with shaving against the grain; shaving against the grain likely causes the red bumps).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:46:21 »
There is seriously something mentally wrong with people who shave dry. It's something a demented person would do like hanging the toilet paper facing inwards, or feeding peanut-butter covered dolls' eyes to geese at the park to get rid of the evidence.

I always get really red spotty skin after shaving. Also, the shave isn't as close as I'd like (even with shaving against the grain; shaving against the grain likely causes the red bumps).
Try Neutrogena Men sensitive shave cream. I used to get red blotchy skin after shaving too, but this stuff works wonders after a few shaves.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:48:32 by noisyturtle »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:49:10 »

Same deal with me.  And shaving hurts in my case.  I must have super thick hair or something because whenever I shave, even after a shower, using shaving cream that's supposed to soften up stiff hair, and using a new blade, it hurts.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:50:02 »

That sounds a bit like you've got a dull blade.  On the flip side, I used to have more irritation when I shaved at your age than I do now as well.

Have you tried any moisturizers or after shaves (again, helped me when your age)?

I keep thinking I should try this as I grow a beard mainly because shaving isn't one of my favorite things.

But:
1. I don't like shaving, in terms of the act itself and don't see myself wanting to increase the time it takes to do it.  I already feel like it takes forever when I use a modern razor and gel as I have to make multiple passes and still have patches of rough stubble instead of smooth skin.

The risk of cutting yourself with a safety razor is relatively low, if you do it right. Like I said, I've only really cut myself twice. And I'm able to shave fairly quickly, after experience. I used to hate shaving as well. I felt the same way you did. But when I started wetshaving, it was like an epiphany. I actually enjoyed it! I didn't mind the extra time. Eventually, I condensed my routine down to a speedy thing to get done in the morning, but it's never the same feeling I used to feel with a cartridge and gel.

Well and then there's the fact that current beard is 7 months old (started when I got my shiba puppy) and I'm strangely attached to it.  I've tried to trim it a few times and end up walking away.

Same deal with me.  And shaving hurts in my case.  I must have super thick hair or something because whenever I shave, even after a shower, using shaving cream that's supposed to soften up stiff hair, and using a new blade, it hurts.

How long is the hair you're trying to shave?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:50:59 »
That's a Gillette Superspeed, jd. Is there a letter and number under the head? I always liked those Old Spice mugs. I never got my hands on one. A lot of people take those brushes, removed the knot of old boar hair and drop a nice badger knot in.

Nope, no letter and number. Under the blade bed it says "PAT. NOS.       ON PKG" so I assume it was made sometime between 1950 and 1954.

Edit: FYI, I don't spend a huge amount on cartridges for my Mach 3, etiher. One year, I tried an experiment to see how long I could shave on one Mach 3 cartridge. I don't always shave every day, at least I didn't back then, so probably 3-4 times per week, on average. Also, my beard is not very thick. I was able to shave without irritation for an entire year on one Mach 3 cartridge. True story. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:55:37 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:52:04 »
I wouldn't say poor welding, but cheap material. Probably made of zinc or pot metal. I wouldn't know, unless I knew which razor it was. There are razors made of brass, aluminum, steel, that will last forever. I have many...

It looks like chromed brass. Here it is:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:54:32 »
How long is the hair you're trying to shave?

Any length is that way.  1-3 days worth of hair is the worst.  It's tolerable once it gets a little longer, but still uncomfortable and kind of defeats the purpose of shaving.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:55:09 »
KingKlaxon, I've not tried moisturizers or aftershaves. I often change out the cartridge, so I don't think it's that. I'll get back to this if the bumps continue. :) Thanks.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:56:36 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:34:07 by esoomenona »

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 13:58:34 »
I didn't enjoy shaving with a Mach-3, was just a chore. Now it's something I enjoy. Probably only takes an extra minute or two for the lather as I used to just wet my face with a facecloth before. The smell of a good soap and the feel of the brush makes it more than worth it.

I do get the odd nick but no more than I did with the Mach-3.

[)amien
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:02:21 by DamienG »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:00:11 »
I am a wet shaver. No irritation, nothing.

One thing I dislike about wet shaving is how freaking expensive those razerblades are. The one I am currently using is about 15 euros for 3 blades. You would swear they are made from gold. I have tried some cheaper ones, but truth be told, they do not feel as good.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:00:52 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:34:16 by esoomenona »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:01:41 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:34:25 by esoomenona »

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:05:55 »
Oh, for post-shave I recommend buying a bottle of witch-hazel.

Cools the skin, good for moisture and cleaning (it's the primary ingredient in a lot of expensive things like Clinique for Men Scruffing Lotion).

Currently $4 for 16oz on Amazon.

[)amien

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:07:53 »
mr_a500: Have you tried anything adhesive to keep it stuck together? I would've done that ages ago... Looks like a quick fix.

Of course I could epoxy it or something. I didn't bother yet because it fits in reasonably tight (and I'm also very lazy). My point in mentioning it is just to warn others that this can happen to Merkur razors over time.

One thing I dislike about wet shaving is how freaking expensive those razerblades are. The one I am currently using is about 15 euros for 3 blades. You would swear they are made from gold. I have tried some cheaper ones, but truth be told, they do not feel as good.

The razor blades I use claim to be platinum coated.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:09:55 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:34:34 by esoomenona »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:39:01 »
I've also had good results using a skin oil before applying gel or lather.  The one I use is mostly almond oil, came in a gift pack from the local mall, The Art of Shaving store.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/Unscented-Pre-Shave-Oil/00670535100003,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=shaving-products-pre-shave-oil&navid=shaving-products-pre-shave-oil

I've had mixed results using safety razors, it could be my choice of blades, given the comments on the thread.  This pre-shave oil helps with even cartridge shaving, YMMV of course.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 14:43:37 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 20:34:50 by esoomenona »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 16:53:12 »
You know what's awesome? When you grow out your face all wilderly for a few weeks then use a trimmer on it with the #1 or 2 attachment and you have that thickass one day action hero beard. Yeah man, that's the ticket.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 17:05:00 »
I think anyone who wet shaves owes it to themselves to buy a sampler pack of blades. I learned that the Japanese Feathers are too sharp for my skin. But the Derby's and Gillete razors allow me to get the job done quickly with minimal cuts.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 18:38:31 »
I've also had good results using a skin oil before applying gel or lather.  The one I use is mostly almond oil, came in a gift pack from the local mall, The Art of Shaving store.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/Unscented-Pre-Shave-Oil/00670535100003,default,pd.html?start=1&cgid=shaving-products-pre-shave-oil&navid=shaving-products-pre-shave-oil

I've had mixed results using safety razors, it could be my choice of blades, given the comments on the thread.  This pre-shave oil helps with even cartridge shaving, YMMV of course.

I am using the sandalwood scented one.  I tried going without oil and it was a no go.  My facial hair is way too thick and my skin way to sensitive.  I can only go with the grain and can only shave about 2-3 times a week (even though I have a 10 o'clock shadow by mid afternoon).  Currently just using that oil with the Art of Shaving Ocean Kelp shaving cream - smells great. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline emptyk

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 19:46:32 »
LOL, is the OP a Badger & Blade member? Anyway, yeah, wet shaving is a crazy "hobby" that's for sure. Guilty as charged.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 20:16:28 »
For years my shaving routine consisted of shaving in the shower then cleaning up the missed areas in front of the mirror afterwards. The results were an average shave, occasional irritation and expensive Mach3 blades that would be dull after three shaves. It was just something I had  to do but didn't enjoy. It bothered me how much Gillette would charge for a blade that wouldn't last a week. 

I heard about this resurgence in traditional shaving techniques about six months ago and investigated. I ended up buying a brush and a tube of Prorazo. I decided to stay with the Mach3 and began getting a much closer shave and I actually enjoyed the experience of whipping up some cream and lathering up.   

After a few months the novelty wore off but I still enjoy the experience and the Mach3's have been lasting for about 15-20 shaves. Take that Gillette!

One thing I began doing that I would recommend is to buy a cheap hot water machine. I got one on Amazon for about $20. Normal people use them for heating a cup of water for tea or  other hot beverages. I fire it up right out of the shower, when it begins to boil I stick my head over the steam for about 30 seconds, pour the water into the mug, let the boiling water heat the mug and brush,  pour out after 30 seconds, add cream, whip up lather and apply.

Much of the success in shaving is dependent on heat to prepare your skin and soften your hair. The steam plus the hot lather is a winning combination. Try it.

One note of caution-  Be careful with the steam.  Incrementally discover how close you can get and hold your breath. You can burn your skin and lungs on the steam.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 21:04:38 by kurplop »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 20:52:14 »
This should be a small introduction to wet shaving with safety razors. This is not meant to be an instruction but rather a guide that gets you started. Many people do these things differently, but this is what I personally would recommend and tested. Any criticism and things I should add are very welcome!

• A little information about myself
    I am currently  19 years old and started wet shaving about two months ago after having an electric razor for a few years. This introduction consists mostly of knowledge I gathered on various forums and other platforms but should be more than enough for an introduction.
  • Why wet shaving?
    A big reason for myself was that it is better for your skin if done correctly (I had quite a lot of spots before and those have reduced drastically). Normal cartridge razors have multiple blades, the first one just lifting the hair to make it easier for the following blades to cut it – often scratching the skin or pulling on the hairs. This causes skin irritation, ingrown hairs and sometimes cuts. A safety razor or straight razor cuts the hair with one gliding movement, putting less stress on the hair and skin. This means your skin gets scratched about two times (if at all) instead of (the amount of blades on the cartridge) * (how often you go over the same area with the razor).
    Next big reason is that a safety razor will, after some practice, give you a better shave than the best cartridge or electric razor. This is mainly because you can manually adjust the angle of the blade, giving you a lot more precision and allowing you to get a lot closer to your skin or further away if you need to. This is a fact.
    Another reason, and this might be less valid because this is geekhack and most of us are collectors, is that it should be cheaper than a cartridge razor. A beginner safety razor costs about 30€, but the blades themselves cost less than cartridge blades (depending on the amount and the brand from 0,50€ to 5,00€) . If you start collecting razors and brushes however, you can forget that HHKB you always wanted to buy. Oh and it’s eco-friendly too, there is normally no plastic on the blades or the razors.
  • Equipment
    A starter equipment should consist of a safety razor with a straight edge (serrated edges are considered more aggressive, they will give you a better shave but at the same time it is easier to cut yourself with them, I can recommend the Mekur 23C, German quality :) ; left serrated, right straight: http://badgerandblade.com/gallery/displayimage.php?imageid=32305 ), double edged razor blades (some razors come with a sample), shaving cream, a brush (avoid plastic brushes!), aftershave and some kind of mug (no need to get something professional, glass or something similar is good enough for the start).
  • The shaving procedure
    It is recommended to shave after a shower, this makes sure to reduce any bacteria or dirt that is on your face. Start filling your mug and sink with hot water (filling the mug is not necessary but warm lather is awesome). Put the mug in the filled sink so it gets warmed from the outside as well.
    Next thing you can do is soak a towel in hot water and put it on your face, this opens the pores and softens the hairs already. If you’re in a hurry (which you should never be when shaving, shaving should be something relaxing), you can skip this step.
    If you think that the mug is warm enough, put a small amount of shaving cream into the mug, about the size of one of those orb bubble gums. Next you add some of the water from the sink, about a tablespoon, it is hard to find the right amount here and it depends on the shaving cream, so experiment with this until you get some lather that doesn’t feel too sticky nor too wet. Take your brush and start foaming up the shaving cream until it has a nice consistence.

(Source: Wikipedia)
    Start applying the lather to your face, don’t put a too thick layer on it but it should be white everywhere and your skin should not really shine through. Let it rest for a few seconds, this will help softening the hairs.
    Now comes the easy part. The most important thing when wet shaving is finding the right angle. Start at your sideburns and put the razor on it horizontally at an angle of about 30 degrees downwards. You can help lifting the hairs by stretching your skin a bit upwards with the other hand, but you can leave that out for your first shave – it will not be perfect and that’s ok. The blade should touch your skin, but you shouldn’t really feel the blade itself. Start moving the razor downwards slowly until you feel that it shaves – and that’s it. Try slight variations of the angle and watch the results in a mirror – cutting yourself with a safety razor on even skin is not easy, your skin will tell you when the angle is to steep and it really scratches.
    For the first round of the shave, shave with the direction of the growth, that mainly means downwards but depends on your growth. Avoid going over the same spot twice in one round, it puts more stress on that area and that’s exactly what you don’t want to do.
    Done? Start putting leather on your face again, now comes the second round. The second round is to make the shave cleaner and to cut the hairs you didn’t really get in the first round. However, this time you shave sideways to the growth, this means mostly horizontally. Always avoid shaving against the growth, you will cut yourself and your skin will talk to you via red spots and areas.
    You can do a third round if you feel that you couldn’t get an area with the first two rounds, but it should rather be the exception.
    A really important thing is that you take your time with the shave. More than half an hour is nothing unusual for your first shaves, you will get faster with practice without even noticing it.
    OK, now that you are done with the shaving, empty the sink and clean your face with cold water. This closes the pores which will make it more resistive to bacteria and other bad stuff for your skin. Next apply some aftershave, this disinfects your face and depending on the aftershave does some other good stuff to your face ;) Avoid aftershaves with alcohol, these will dry out your face and will cause pain if you cut yourself and if you do it regularily, wrinkles.
    Remember to clean all your tools, however you don’t need to disassemble your razor to clean it. Make sure that you swing out your brush since the glue will slowly but steadily disintegrate if it stays too wet.
    Your skin should now rest for maybe 10 minutes (or more), that means not touching it, even if you really really want to look how your shave turned out.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 May 2013, 20:57:11 by BlueBär »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 06:16:08 »
I am a wet shaver. No irritation, nothing.

What blade is it? That's pretty expensive. Way too expensive. Generally, once you find your blade, you buy that blade in bulk to save on cost.

It is the Gilette fusion. It was actually 15 euros for 4 blades (still outrageous). I do buy the larger packages, but am considering to try something a little cheaper. The main reason I am still using this is laziness to try something else really.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 04 May 2013, 09:27:08 »
I think anyone who wet shaves owes it to themselves to buy a sampler pack of blades. I learned that the Japanese Feathers are too sharp for my skin. But the Derby's and Gillete razors allow me to get the job done quickly with minimal cuts.

Definite on the sampler pack, everyone has different preferences. 

I have three vintage Gillettes from the 60's/70's two adjustable and one fixed.

I either go with Feather or Derby, sometimes Astra which I'm out of at the moment.

Depends on my mood and how often I shave.  Derby is very forgiving but not as close as the others.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets