Author Topic: [IC] GMK Retrowave [GB August 1]  (Read 145127 times)

Offline Havattack

Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. Bringing a piece of 1986 to 2021.
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 21:24:23 »
I would love to see some orange or teal incorporated in here. Or a volt/UV green instead of the yellow even.

I concur with this!  I would love to see some orange keys in there similar to the color at the bottom of the sun.  Or maybe orange legends on the caps.

Definitely going to pick this up! Sad I missed the GMK Lasers and these are right up the same alley.  Keep it up!

There's some gmk lasers on ebay right now, and the R2 should be shipping out in the next month or so, and there will be more for sale then. I will probably sell mine (managed to score the SA version off the bay, and i prefer that profile to gmk, just wish i could trade my gmk novelties for the SA ones..)

Offline KiwiAhhhh

Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. New Kits SoonTM
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 08:53:53 »
very sexy and wild colorway keycap set :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline clackeys

• Clackeys
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 17:12:29 »
This is a bright looking set, kinda interested.

Offline Galakc

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 14:48:55 »
Katakana kit is to die for...I love this set

Offline mdoersam

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 16:40:53 »
Really amazing! NorDE is all that is missing  ;D

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 18:23:06 »
Do we have any idea when in 2021 this will launch?  Just trying to budget around other GBs.  Even if you could say "Not January or February" that would be helpful!  Looking forward to putting this on the sunsetter.

Offline kastymizilian

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 10:21:37 »
love it, will follow the project

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 05:36:02 »
This is super sick!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 11 December 2020, 11:38:41 »
If there was ever a kit to buy extras of for re-selling on ebay, or the market, it would be this one. People are going to be clamoring for this thing after the GB is over, all the time. There's going to be a lot of people just getting into the hobby, asking "where can i get this!?," "Will there be a R2," " I can't believe i missed this" "I just had to get in to this hobby a month after this is released!", etc etc.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 12 December 2020, 22:05:41 »
I forgot something.

Please have the option to choose a base kit with the alphas or a base kit with the katakanas.

I really don't think separate "alphas" work for GMK due to price. I really feel a vast majority of people would only use 1 of the two.
At least I would only buy this set with a base kit that includes the katakanas.

If I am forced to buy a base kit with alphas and get the katakanas separately, that will be way over 200$ and it would also mean that I would leave like 90% of the base set keys in the box which feels like such a waste.
If you also go for the novelties, and want katakanas and use a 65% or under you'd probably be using under 10 keys from the base kit.

Same thing happened recently with Hanami Dango set. I loved it, but wanted the Hiraganas and not Alphas, but they were sold separately and I can't justify spending over 200$ for it and also leave 90+% of the base kit unused.
Had there been the option to buy a base hiraganas kit I would have joined the GB day one.
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 December 2020, 22:25:51 by CookieFlow »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 11:03:53 »
I forgot something.

Please have the option to choose a base kit with the alphas or a base kit with the katakanas.

I really don't think separate "alphas" work for GMK due to price. I really feel a vast majority of people would only use 1 of the two.
At least I would only buy this set with a base kit that includes the katakanas.

If I am forced to buy a base kit with alphas and get the katakanas separately, that will be way over 200$ and it would also mean that I would leave like 90% of the base set keys in the box which feels like such a waste.
If you also go for the novelties, and want katakanas and use a 65% or under you'd probably be using under 10 keys from the base kit.

Same thing happened recently with Hanami Dango set. I loved it, but wanted the Hiraganas and not Alphas, but they were sold separately and I can't justify spending over 200$ for it and also leave 90+% of the base kit unused.
Had there been the option to buy a base hiraganas kit I would have joined the GB day one.

I, for some reason, thought this had all ready been brought up, but he's exactly right. Please make either the modifiers and alphas separate kits, or have two base kits. It sucks being forced to buy the regular alphas when i'm not going to be using them.

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 15:25:40 »
Giving all the above some thought presently. One thing I'm not really keen on is offering two base kits because the goal will be a high MOQ on base. Having two of them cannibalises this goal (Unless your biip haha). Once we get through the business of the Christmas period it'll be easier to sit down and nut it out.

In any case, we've got vendors secured in most zones and are currently in talks for NA. With a bit of luck we can get this running in Q1 but will keep this updated as I get some more news.

For those who were wanting the Rev. 1 deskmat, I've commissioned a new artist who is busy working on a new design. The "Sunset" mat will not feature in a GB along this project, but will be available as an in-stock deskmat drop in early new year with Vendors in NA, Europe and Australia.

Stef

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 17:41:12 »
God I love this set so much. Please take my money

Offline Fshizl

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 17:44:05 »
This is my first post of many. I’m in.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 18:29:00 »
Giving all the above some thought presently. One thing I'm not really keen on is offering two base kits because the goal will be a high MOQ on base. Having two of them cannibalises this goal (Unless your biip haha). Once we get through the business of the Christmas period it'll be easier to sit down and nut it out.

In any case, we've got vendors secured in most zones and are currently in talks for NA. With a bit of luck we can get this running in Q1 but will keep this updated as I get some more news.

For those who were wanting the Rev. 1 deskmat, I've commissioned a new artist who is busy working on a new design. The "Sunset" mat will not feature in a GB along this project, but will be available as an in-stock deskmat drop in early new year with Vendors in NA, Europe and Australia.

Stef

I am not a designer so I have no clue why a high MOQ is important, but I think these days all sets reach MOQ easily.
I also think due to the nature of the set that works very well with Japanese sub legends, that the split would be fairly close to 50/50 on who would prefer standard Alphas or Katakanas.

I really hope this can be reconsidered, or if there is only 1 base kit, to have the modifiers available as a separate kit for people wanting the Katakanas.

Looking at Hanami Dango the Hiragana alpha is 85$, and being forced into a 135$ base kit only to use a dozen of keys feels so bad.

And of course a small kit with some Cyan would be <3
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 December 2020, 19:30:58 by CookieFlow »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 13 December 2020, 19:59:18 »

Stef
I don't think you're going to have ANY problem getting high MOQ  on this set.... I bet you'll be getting tons of request for rounds 2, etc, for years after.

Is there any reason GMK sets don't ever separate the mods and alphas into separate sets, so we could have 1 mod set, and then the 2 separate alpha sets?

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 11:37:56 »

Stef

I am not a designer so I have no clue why a high MOQ is important, but I think these days all sets reach MOQ easily.
I also think due to the nature of the set that works very well with Japanese sub legends, that the split would be fairly close to 50/50 on who would prefer standard Alphas or Katakanas.

I really hope this can be reconsidered, or if there is only 1 base kit, to have the modifiers available as a separate kit for people wanting the Katakanas.

Looking at Hanami Dango the Hiragana alpha is 85$, and being forced into a 135$ base kit only to use a dozen of keys feels so bad.

And of course a small kit with some Cyan would be <3
Higher MOQ means cheaper price, that way more people can afford it. 2 base kits will make it harder for runner to reach his goal. About the demand for this set during gb, it totally depends on the running period. Imagine you run a gb during last november when there are too many good sets, some of classic sets like yuri or grisanne were competed so hard because people made a choice to buy another good set.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2020, 11:44:14 by nvh2092 »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 16:29:59 »

So why can't the modifiers and alphas be split into separate sets?

And if there is only one complete base kit, and an extra separate alpha kit, should there not be a poll or something on which of the alphas should be included in the base, and which should be separated out?
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2020, 16:32:37 by Havattack »

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 16:47:33 »

And if there is only one complete base kit, and an extra separate alpha kit, should there not be a poll or something on which of the alphas should be included in the base, and which should be separated out?
A normal kit (mods + alphas together) costs less than separated mods + separated alphas, based on GMK pricing. But it's like that for every manufactured stuff. Reason behind this is that the manufacturer (in this case GMK) has to set up environment and infrastructure to produce keycaps, when you order everything in one place, GMK just needs to set up everything at once, this also aplies to quality-control and packaging. When 1 a base kit is splitted in 2, GMK needs to redo some of the steps twice hence the price will be more expensive. A big box with 2 cookies is normally cheaper than 2 small box each contains 1 cookie. This is how I understand it. I may be not correct tho. Hence you always see one base kit with mods and alphas since it's the best way both for buyers (more affordable prices) and also for vendors (fewer kits fewer MOQ goals).
Runner obviously prefers a cleaner look with mono latin alpha in base kit. I don't oppose with the kitting, I also prefer mono latin alphas  :p
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 December 2020, 16:52:05 by nvh2092 »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 19:01:58 »

A normal kit (mods + alphas together) costs less than separated mods + separated alphas, based on GMK pricing. But it's like that for every manufactured stuff. Reason behind this is that the manufacturer (in this case GMK) has to set up environment and infrastructure to produce keycaps, when you order everything in one place, GMK just needs to set up everything at once, this also aplies to quality-control and packaging. When 1 a base kit is splitted in 2, GMK needs to redo some of the steps twice hence the price will be more expensive. A big box with 2 cookies is normally cheaper than 2 small box each contains 1 cookie. This is how I understand it. I may be not correct tho. Hence you always see one base kit with mods and alphas since it's the best way both for buyers (more affordable prices) and also for vendors (fewer kits fewer MOQ goals).
Runner obviously prefers a cleaner look with mono latin alpha in base kit. I don't oppose with the kitting, I also prefer mono latin alphas  :p
I see, that makes since.
So, either separate both alphas from the mods, and only slightly screw over both parties (the ones that want the reg alphas AND the ones that want subs), or include one of the alphas with mods, and screw over only which ever party gets left out, substantially...
I think there should be a poll on which alphas to include with the base (unless SK has a preference, then i guess it's up to him)

Offline PHYLO

« Reply #120 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 09:52:55 »
Purple, pinks, blues, always the best combo for keycaps. Love it!

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #121 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 10:14:07 »

I see, that makes since.
So, either separate both alphas from the mods, and only slightly screw over both parties (the ones that want the reg alphas AND the ones that want subs), or include one of the alphas with mods, and screw over only which ever party gets left out, substantially...
I think there should be a poll on which alphas to include with the base (unless SK has a preference, then i guess it's up to him)
What you're mentioning is actually happening in GMK Norse IC. Runner made a poll to decide which set of alphas should be included in base. The poll turns out right now 57 - 42. It's gonna a ****tiest decision making ever.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 13:27:59 »
I didn't even know that was an option.

But indeed a base kit without alphas and then having the choice between regular alphas or katakanas sublegends is probably a good middle ground.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 22:31:29 »
But indeed a base kit without alphas and then having the choice between regular alphas or katakanas sublegends is probably a good middle ground.

That would just make it more expensive for *everyone*.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #124 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 02:52:24 »
I didn't even know that was an option.

That middle ground is not a good idea, the set will probably flop because the price for a base kit surely becomes too high.

Offline DeluxeSofa

• God is dead and we killed him
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 03:07:02 »
So this is a gmk version of matrix keycaps pbt retrowave . so much for originality

Offline Avocadough

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 03:35:09 »
So this is a gmk version of matrix keycaps pbt retrowave . so much for originality

I think you're mistaken this set is GMK Olivia recoloured.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 11:27:01 »

Yes. This was all ready covered. Doing it that way would make it slightly more expensive for "everyone", instead of doing it the other way, and making it A LOT more expensive for whatever party's alphas get left off the base set.
I'm good with whatever way it ends up. I want the sub-legend alphas, so obviously that's what i would prefer to be included in the base kit, but if I'm in the minority, especially a small minority, then we should do it another way.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 December 2020, 11:39:32 by Havattack »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 18 December 2020, 11:36:40 »
"Originality".... is beyond overrated, there is no idea that it truly "original". Whining about being unique is for angst teens. Adults realize we stand on the shoulders of giants, it's silly not to build off what others have done.
That being said, "retrowave" is a very popular trend right now, it's no surprise that more then one company/person has been inspired by it. If you can't see just how different those two sets are, I don't know what to tell ya buddy. Ones backlit, ones not. The modifier and alpha colors are reversed, there is accent colors, etc.
 Retrowave, Neon cities, Laser, 80's after dark, vaporwave, are all inspired by similar things, yet are different enough to warrant interest in each. 
Just seems like an absurd comment my man.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 00:41:11 »

Yes. This was all ready covered. Doing it that way would make it slightly more expensive for "everyone", instead of doing it the other way, and making it A LOT more expensive for whatever party's alphas get left off the base set.
I'm good with whatever way it ends up. I want the sub-legend alphas, so obviously that's what i would prefer to be included in the base kit, but if I'm in the minority, especially a small minority, then we should do it another way.

Not "slightly" more expensive, the way GMK kitting works. Probably $50 more expensive.

Just let the GB runners pick which way works best for their set, and everyone can adapt.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 11:53:47 »
I suppose "slightly" was a poor word choice.

"Just let the GB runners pick which way works best for their set, and everyone can adapt." Well yeah, and that too was all ready mentioned..
We're just giving our 2 cents, which is in general the point of these threads, (other then to advertise and get the word out.) He/she/they are of coarse free to do with it what they wish.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2020, 17:18:42 by Havattack »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #131 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 12:09:33 »

"Just let the GB runners pick which way works best for their set, and everyone can adapt." Well yeah, and that to was all ready mentioned..
We're just giving our 2 cents, which is in general the point of these threads, (other then to advertise and get the word out.) He/she/they are of coarse free to do with it what they wish.

My 2¢: Your idea is not realistically feasible with how GMK's pricing structure works. Buyers would probably be looking at around $150 for 60%/65% coverage, around $170 for 75% and TKL, and up to $190–$200 to match coverage offered by standard GMK base kits. You can see this for yourself if you look at sets that offered separate alphas and mods as child kits (e.g. GMK Future Funk).

Edit: updated calculation
Edit2: i am bad at math
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 December 2020, 12:26:09 by konstantin »

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 13:08:58 »
Then the question is how much would a base kit cost if you have a higher MOQ and only 1 kit, versus having 2 kits and a lower MOQ.

I never saw the price of any sets get lower even after tripling or more the MOQ, so I assume the price is based on the estimated MOQ?

Offline Havattack

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 17:16:10 »

"Just let the GB runners pick which way works best for their set, and everyone can adapt." Well yeah, and that to was all ready mentioned..

My 2¢: Your idea is not realistically feasible with how GMK's pricing structure works. Buyers would probably be looking at around $150 for 60%/65% coverage, around $170 for 75% and TKL, and up to $190–$200 to match coverage offered by standard GMK base kits. You can see this for yourself if you look at sets that offered separate alphas and mods as child kits (e.g. GMK Future Funk).

Edit: updated calculation
Edit2: i am bad at math
Yeah, i think we've come to the conclusion (as if it is up to any of us...) that splitting both alphas from the modifiers isn't optimal, and that it would probably be better to have a poll to decide which of the alphas goes with the base.
 But again, the Gb runner can do whatever they wish, obviously. (and i'll be happy, this set is dope.)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 20:46:01 »
Yeah, i think we've come to the conclusion (as if it is up to any of us...) that splitting both alphas from the modifiers isn't optimal, and that it would probably be better to have a poll to decide which of the alphas goes with the base.
 But again, the Gb runner can do whatever they wish, obviously. (and i'll be happy, this set is dope.)

I've seen you comment on this thread so much, and you also have the matching sig and avatar, that I've subconsciously started thinking that you're the runner :D

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 20:51:32 »
Buyers would probably be looking at around $150 for 60%/65% coverage, around $170 for 75% and TKL, and up to $190–$200 to match coverage offered by standard GMK base kits. You can see this for yourself if you look at sets that offered separate alphas and mods as child kits (e.g. GMK Future Funk).

Thanks for a concrete example here; looking at CandyKeys I can see the base kit (with numpad and even some media keys) comes in at €135 whereas the separate icons + alphas comes to €152 with no numpad or €165 with numpad.  Also, that is a NICE kit.  Shame it doesn't have ISO-UK support.  ;)

I'm happy for whatever alphas the designer likes in the basekit and then extra alphas as already proposed.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 20:57:17 »
Thanks for a concrete example here; looking at CandyKeys I can see the base kit (with numpad and even some media keys) comes in at €135 whereas the separate icons + alphas comes to €152 with no numpad or €165 with numpad.  Also, that is a NICE kit.  Shame it doesn't have ISO-UK support.  ;)

It's also worth noting here that the icons kit only has sufficient coverage for 60%/65% in both cases :) For more complete coverage it would be even higher.

Offline Shiba1337

« Reply #137 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 22:16:53 »
Looks too much like Handarbeit

Offline Havattack

« Reply #138 on: Sat, 19 December 2020, 22:45:26 »

I've seen you comment on this thread so much, and you also have the matching sig and avatar, that I've subconsciously started thinking that you're the runner :D

I know, I know, i should really leave this thread alone for awhile... Working from home leaves me with way too much time to procrastinate on message boards..

Offline clacklabs

• clack labs
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 11:16:17 »
Buyers would probably be looking at around $150 for 60%/65% coverage, around $170 for 75% and TKL, and up to $190–$200 to match coverage offered by standard GMK base kits. You can see this for yourself if you look at sets that offered separate alphas and mods as child kits (e.g. GMK Future Funk).

I'm happy for whatever alphas the designer likes in the basekit and then extra alphas as already proposed.

+1 for ISO-UK support.

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave.
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 24 December 2020, 22:29:57 »
Couple of prototype caps from Sinpra. The right cap is in my opinion a great match to my Pantone samples! What do you guys think?

In other news, have added some Vendors to OP and will have a new deskmat to show soon!  We are just making some initial revisions.

*EDIT* Also have my preferred Pantones above. The pink chip I should have on hand in the next couple of weeks when it his my forwarding address. I've ordered doubles of everything, as one will be sent to GMK.

« Last Edit: Thu, 24 December 2020, 22:33:17 by SwitchKeys »

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 11:56:58 »
Have you ever thought of just not including the numpad on the base kit? I mean to make the base kit cheaper and tbh it's not just me who has crap ton of numpad not being used and being stuck on their box/plastic etc.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 13:29:21 »
Have you ever thought of just not including the numpad on the base kit? I mean to make the base kit cheaper and tbh it's not just me who has crap ton of numpad not being used and being stuck on their box/plastic etc.

Makes an excellent point.. I don't think many people have full size keyboards anymore. It's mostly  60, tkl, and 75 is getting very popular. I can't see myself ever purchasing a full size one again.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #143 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 21:08:20 »

Makes an excellent point.. I don't think many people have full size keyboards anymore. It's mostly  60, tkl, and 75 is getting very popular. I can't see myself ever purchasing a full size one again.
It would reduce the price by 10usd tho.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 31 December 2020, 21:46:31 »

It would reduce the price by 10usd tho.
Not sure what your point is? Yes, it would reduce the price, that's why we are in favor of it.. (and becasue i have no use for a numpad)

Offline psxndc

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 16:42:23 »
GMK Peeps.
Ortho. Always.

Offline smackyp

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 23:49:53 »
Maybe it's the lighting, but the eyes on that right cap seems to be a little bit green-tinted to me.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 00:15:23 »
GMK Peeps.

The awful Easter candy?! WHERE?!

Purple peeps are more pastel.

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 14:49:40 »
is it possible to add a 1.5u enter, and a 1.75u backspace to the compact kit. Really looking forward to this set!

Offline Sinpra

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 16:28:45 »
Maybe it's the lighting, but the eyes on that right cap seems to be a little bit green-tinted to me.

You aren't entirely wrong, the yellow in the eyes is a bit of a pain to get 100% but thankfully I still have some time before this set runs to iron out the kinks!

(Also for clarification the blue and red one wasn't meant for this set, just an added bonus in the parcel!)