Author Topic: Even closer to ANSI F122 mod possible?  (Read 2849 times)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Even closer to ANSI F122 mod possible?
« on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:44:00 »
Taking cue from Harry's / fohat.digs F122 near ANSI mod very awesome thread :  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37753.0

Was curious if one could mod an F122 to be even closer to ANSI - meaning replace the "+" arrow cluster with a reverse T arrow cluster and add the print screen / scroll lock / pause break row underneath the 6 pack.

The breakdown images in fohat's thread show there are capacitive pads and barrel holes in the original foam - but some holes would need to be added to the plate, as well as obtain some additional barrels/hammers/springs.

(Images are from fohat's thread.)

Holes in the original foam, but not the plate.

Would need to add four holes to the plate.

The PCB has pads in place to support a reverse T arrow cluster, and you could put in print screen / scroll lock / pause break row under the 6 pack, basically make it a 9 pack.

Have the end result look like this (well, hopefully better than my poor editing skills) :

Thoughts / comments?
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Re: Even closer to ANSI F122 mod possible?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:47:28 »
It looks like the PCB supports it, but you would have to cut some new barrel holes in the plate and cut up the case as well. You'd more than likely also need to Soarers mod it

Then again, I'm not a model F expert like others here are.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:48:39 »
Forgot to add that the top case would need to be modified as well.  Seeing as many problems exist with the plastic used for the F cases, was thinking a couple M122 cases would be better for this purpose.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:59:32 »
The case mod would be easy. There are just 2 "tabs" to be removed and you would be making 2 straight cuts. As far as that long strip on each side being quite fragile - yes it would.

I might cut 2 pieces of metal (coat hangers?) and lay them full length (from around the right control and numpad 0 up to between delete and \ and between page down and numpad 7) in a bed of epoxy, similar to the way I did my case repair - before I started cutting. If you are not painting the case, the edges may be a little funky, but it should work.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Parak

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:03:58 »
The PCB on the 122s does not actually support those 4 keys. If you look closer, you'll notice they're completely unconnected. I've not seen any 122s that have them connected, unfortunately. So we'd need a new PCB to do this. And ideally a new plate :p

The unsaver F however supports this mod, and I've done it myself (pics will come... eventually).
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:05:46 by Parak »

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 19:01:48 »
The PCB on the 122s does not actually support those 4 keys. If you look closer, you'll notice they're completely unconnected. I've not seen any 122s that have them connected, unfortunately. So we'd need a new PCB to do this. And ideally a new plate :p

The unsaver F however supports this mod, and I've done it myself (pics will come... eventually).

Well thats a killer isn't it...

Or - find an F Unsaver, and a BS numpad to go with it - only ever seen three different models of.

I did contemplate attempting this with an M122, but would need a custom membrane and modified barrel plate.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 19:18:05 »
The PCB on the 122s does not actually support those 4 keys. If you look closer, you'll notice they're completely unconnected. I've not seen any 122s that have them connected, unfortunately.
I was going to point this out too. When I had my F-122 apart, I got briefly excited when I  noticed a juicy PCB pad between the left ctrl and alt keys, perfect for a Win key, but it had the same problem of no connection to the rest of the board. I realized that even if I could connect it, the controller probably wouldn't detect the keystrokes.  Bummer.