Author Topic: Rosewood Custom Keyboard  (Read 1441 times)

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
Rosewood Custom Keyboard
« on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 20:58:37 »
The first version
https://imgur.com/a/oSDPn

The second version with an improved case
https://imgur.com/a/tjmPK

This is my first custom. I cut the board from an Apple Extended Keyboard II and replaced the switches with Matias Clickly switches. Most of the write up is in the links.

The first case was too high so the second case is to be much lower. Currently, I am typing on the second case and it is quite a joy.

Thanks to the Hasu's TMK and geekhack, deskthority, and /r/mks' wealth of information.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Re: Rosewood Custom Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 20:59:54 »
Very nice man! Love rosewood to death.

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 21:04:01 »
Very nice man! Love rosewood to death.

Thanks. I am new to rosewood and carpentry in general but everyone had to start somewhere. Fortunately I have a lot of rosewood to play around with and books on finishing. The finish on the second case actually turned out better than I thought it would since I actually followed directions that time around.

I actually have another keyboard waiting for its case. It is also an Apple Extended Keyboard II but with Matias Quiet clicks instead.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2015, 21:06:16 by Zukoi »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 21:05:23 »
Yes! A custom that's got Alps in it!!

Offline Zukoi

• ****posting at 90wpm
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 21:10:50 »
Yes! A custom that's got Alps in it!!

I actually read your write on comparing alps switches and that made me pull the trigger on Matias switches. Funny enough, I accidentally bought Matias Quiet clicks but I decided to keep them for a sibling board and shipping them back is wasteful.

The contrast between the Matias Quiet and Clicky is very surprising. Its nowhere near between the Blue and Brown, its more like a Super Blue and Super Brown where the switches have more of all of the right things.

Offline yehoshuaf

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 03 June 2015, 21:53:02 »
Very cool!

I'm actually in the process of converting an m0110 to use Matias switches (the most beautiful keyboard ever.... that feels absolutely terrible). :)

You need to CNC that guy out of a single piece of wood though. Maybe I can give you a hand...

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 June 2015, 01:20:14 »
Thumbs up! This is my kind of keyboard :D Apple, Alps, wood... really nice! :)