Author Topic: First Keyboard Build. (with a couple pictures)(Phantom)  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Austinl08

First Keyboard Build. (with a couple pictures)(Phantom)
« on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 15:25:50 »
so i'm new to the keyboard enthusiast scene, and have decided to jump head first and build one for my first "custom" keyboard.

After a lot of looking and reading i decided to go with the phantom PCB mainly because of its easy availability, while also being easy to find.

The only reason i hesitated with the choice was because i was not sure if i wanted a back-lit board. after thinking about it, i barely look at my keyboard while typing anyways. Also being my first one to build i thought i would keep it a little bare.

After looking at different cases that the Phantom fit into i decided i definitely wanted an aluminum (or any metal) case for sure. i just really like metal over plastic in many of my other hobbies despite it being heavier it always seems more rugged and less flimsy than the plastics.

so with all that in mind the only readily available aluminum cases i could find (for any of the PCBs) was the TEX case for the Phantom board. this was the biggest factor into leading me towards my decision of the Phantom set up.

Keep in mind i am one of those people who thought the Razer Blackwidow Chroma was the best keyboard ever. :eek: :eek: :eek: (i know i know, shame me if you must.) that is until getting my hands on Cherry MX keys and really appreciating some of the custom builds i have seen through forums such as this one.

Well on to the pics and some of the steps of my experience with building my first keyboard from the PCB up.

I ordered the PCB kit from mechanicalkeyboards.com, added the aluminum plate, and some switches, but did not get the aluminum case at the same because will i thought it would take me a week or so to put all of this together and because will i'm married and yall know what that extra 150$ can get you into.

i also ordered some stickers, lube, and some keycaps that will be in next week some time. my original plan was to lube and sticker the switches before installing them, get everything working then order the case and keycaps. but once the saw the box on the doorstep i could not be stopped, So next week when the stickers come in i will take the tops off of all the switches and lube and sticker them and then i will close it all up in a case.

My PCB came in, Came exactly as described and as i expected

Started putting in the diodes and clipping them for soldering, after i set all the diodes in(before soldering them) i put a piece of cardboard over the top of them and taped the board to the PCB sandwiching the diodes between the PCB and board. This let me easily turn the board around and move it around the desk as needed without having to worry about anything falling out.

I then mounted the Teensy board.I used a pair of tweezers and keyboardtester.com to test each key, it all tested out perfectly. even though you can see the plate and a couple switches in the picture, this was a later picture. after i installed the teensy board i spent about an hour or 2 messing with the programming and getting familiar with its software as it is the first time i have ever used it. I ended up using the firmware from Bathroom Epiphanies' AVR-Keyboard github page. as recommended by the deskthority guide i was following made by someones name i cannot find but thank very much for taking the time to make it. I did play around with one of the other firmware options it mentioned "Easy AVR USB" i think in the future i will play with this and make a more custom layout to fit what i want. and please excuse the ugly solder joints, i do solder a lot at work however i could not take my time with this as i felt an overwhelming anxiety to go fast which is why this went much quicker than i thought it would.

I then added the stabilizers and a few of the switches in order to line the plate up with the PCB.(i did trim 2 of the tabs off of the Cherry stabilizers as some people recomemded, i have no idea if this is necessary or not)

added more switches careful to line them up properly.

and then the rest!

I had 2 small problems. the first one was one of my cherry red switches had a bent pin. instead of just bending it into position i swapped the guts with an extra MX green switch i had .

after soldering all of the switches to the board i then plugged it in and crossed my fingers. i used the keyboard test website again and everything worked great except for my F1 key. I did fiddle with the insides a bit and got it to work, but i ended up unsoldering it and swapping it out with a different one just in case.after that i was 100% functional.

I am very satisfied with how it turned out so far. i have ordered the aluminum TEX case and will be stickering and lubing as soon as the parts come in. then i will close it all up in the case. can say enough words at how great this community is at giving information and helping newbies as myself. i hope to do more builds in the future. in the mean time i will be cleaning the flux off the board so it looks a little prettier.

The only concern i have that i was going to ask about is i did mount the teensy board touching the PCB with nothing in between them :eek: :eek:. is this going to be a problem, should i unsolder it and and put something between them or just let it go? it all is working fine.

thank you guys for all of the help and let me know if i should change something around or if yall have any recommendations.

Austin
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 October 2016, 15:27:28 by Austinl08 »

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
Re: First Keyboard Build. (with a couple pictures)(Phantom)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 17:36:24 »
If its working properly don't worry about the Teensy touching the pcb. Removing the Teensy is very difficult to accomplish without damage. Nice first build. 

Offline Austinl08

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 02:03:08 »
ok, thanks. i will leave it (for now at least) anyone have an idea on the chances that the teensy touching the PCB will be a future problem? the board seems laminated well.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 05:49:37 »
Awesome build! Looking forward to seeing it with the case and caps :)

I can't speak to future issues with the Teensy, but the DT wiki does specifically state not to have it touch the PCB. I'm sure there's a good chance it will be fine. The perfectionist in me would be eye-twitching all day over it  :))
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 05:57:39 »
Ooo Greens
Chris Schammert

Offline Austinl08

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 16:43:00 »
Ooo Greens

feeling and hearing the click of a key is extremely satisfying to me.

Offline Austinl08

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 16:52:21 »
so the case and caps came in. i was going to go all blue, but changed my mind last minute and went with the red case and caps.
I am very satisfied with the quality of the case, it is very sturdy and solid.

Everything turned out how i wanted it. the only problem i had this time was my caps shipped with one extra V cap and was missing the X cap. i will call shortly to sort this out. all in all it is not a very big problem at all. everything is working perfectly so far.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
    • csmertx
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 17:20:52 »
I really like that you went with greens for alphas and reds for modifiers. I might have to do that one day! Looks amazing too
Chris Schammert

Offline Austinl08

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 19:29:50 »
I really like that you went with greens for alphas and reds for modifiers. I might have to do that one day! Looks amazing too

Thanks!, took about 20 minuites of Internet surfing to get used to. I did it mainly so it would have some kind of unique feeling to it.

Offline noobas4urus

• Mod Munky of another realm
    • The Mod Zoo
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 21:50:18 »
Very nice build, thanks for posting.  I've got a RS II+ on the way, can't wait to get cranking on it.
"You miss 100% of the raffles you don't enter."
-Wayne Gretzky