Author Topic: Custom 60% wood cases?  (Read 3478 times)

Offline 40yroldnerd

Custom 60% wood cases?
« on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 19:21:21 »
I just ordered a Poker 3 but really want a wood case for it....Does anyone happen to have some in-depth schematics on how to make a wood case for a 60% keyboard?  I just don't really wanna spend the coin on a case like that, however, the cnc machined aluminum ones go for the same if not more so it's kinda a wash.  Whoever has the tools and  materials to mass produce these, wood or metal, is making a killing I'm guessing........... I wanted to try my luck at making some.  if not, does anyone who's made on before know where I can get the metal inserts for the screws that attach the board to the case?

Thanks

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: Custom 60% wood cases?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 13:38:17 »
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 13:53:18 »
If you don't already own or have access to a free/cheap CNC mill you're going to find your cheapest option is buying an already made one. That, or take tens or hundreds of hours trying to hand carve one.

If cost really is an issue various ones come up on mechmarket/classifieds decently often.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 14:34:55 »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 October 2016, 20:14:44 »
Ask Nubbinator about custom making your own. That was one of the first things I ever remember seeing on here.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline 40yroldnerd

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 09:52:19 »
I ended up just buying a nice Rosewood one and a cheapo plastic one so I can try and make one as well..I don't have a CNC machine but I have good woodworking tools and figured I could just use a router if I have some measurements.  I have a cast on my hand for about another 4 weeks so I just trying to compile some schematics in the meantime.

I did reach out to Nubbinator about a custom one as well.  That guy has some serious woodworking skills and I was gonna go all out on a nice exotic hardwood.  Hopefully he has the time.

Thanks for the replies guys

Offline 40yroldnerd

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 10:06:31 »
Arrrggghhh!!!

I wish I would've seen the GB on reddit.....I just figured it was the same ones floating around the web, paduak, rosewood, walnut & bamboo.  I liked the fact that that you can get em' unfinished as I wanted to stain my own..that zebrawood one is really nice and would look great Oh well, what's another $60.00??   Tell me this wouldn't be sweet in that color with a piano gloss.  It would look really high-end IMO. 

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 16:43:11 »
I like your thinking.