Author Topic: V2 version Topre Silence Ring  (Read 61738 times)

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
Re: V2 version Topre Silence Ring
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 08:25:44 »
So the V1 rings were about half as thick as Hypersphere's rings (according to https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7y2vr5/keyclack_topre_silencing_rings/). V2 is about twice as thick as V1 (according to https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfe9T7MFuv1/?hl=en&taken-by=keyclack)

So what's the advantage compared to using Hypersphere's rings then? They seem to be much more difficult to mount.

I can compare the thickness of a Hypersphere ring and a V2 ring when I get them.
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 08:27:26 »
That'd be great - thanks!

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 14:41:54 »
Just got my shipping notification. I'll keep everyone updated.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 15:16:12 »
Just got my shipping notification. I'll keep everyone updated.

I got mine too

Offline Gacct

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 15:27:49 »
did you guys get tracking or just the email confirming that the rings are on the way?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 15:32:09 »
did you guys get tracking or just the email confirming that the rings are on the way?

I got tracking

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 06 September 2018, 16:41:22 »

I didn't get tracking, just an email saying that they have been shipped. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 07:07:04 »
I received tracking. And it's even a real number according to usps lol.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 08:06:19 »
Sucks to me be then, I guess.  :-[ :D

Maybe it's because I'm located in Europe or something.

Offline Gacct

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 07 September 2018, 19:28:44 »

Guessing international orders just got the email notification. Basing this off a sample size of 2 (you and me).

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 04:26:08 »

Guessing international orders just got the email notification. Basing this off a sample size of 2 (you and me).

I emailed him yesterday and asked about it. He replied a few hours later and gave me the tracking information. You should probably do the same.  :)

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 11:19:07 »
I got my order today!!! Lets go boys. 204 days later. Gonna cancel my paypal dispute and start putting them together.

I got rings and domes so I'll give my opinions on it all afterwards.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 11:42:35 »
I just got mine too.  I already had installed the ultralight domes a while back.  So we put 2 on each slider?  And this is a permanent mod, I guess. Since they have a sticky backing.

Offline BHuber09

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 15:06:25 »
Wow these are awesome... Substantially quieter. I bought the heavy domes as well as the rings and besides the stabs, the 1x keys are only thock, there is no upstroke sound.

I bought 1 order of rings, I got 2 packages, of which I opened 1 and only used about half of them (fc660c).

So the rings themselves, they are so much nicer, this really is a huge difference. I wasn't sure how much I was actually expecting but these are incredible. However there is a noticeable difference in travel space. While it's really not that bad, it is going to take me a moment to get use to.

I left my 'insert' key without a ring, because that slot isn't a standard slot and comparing the two sounds is like night and day. I highly suggest. Worth the wait.. and I was raising hell about the wait.

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 20:38:25 »
Now my question is: When I can buy these on the site? :D

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 15:36:46 »
lol that's good to know, I was in the V1 batch so hopefully I'll get my V2 soon.

I started with Hypersphere rings (too thick) then later on swap them to KBDFans rings (slightly too thin).  If anyone beat me to it please let me know if it's an upgrade over the other 2.

Otherwise I'll evaluate them when I get it.  :P

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 08:33:04 »
If you guys could post some reviews or what you guys think of these I would be really thankful, if possible of course. Really indecise here  :D

Best Regards,
Kawabata.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 09:11:13 »
I'm probably not the best person to review these since I only have 2 topre boards, and I don't use them daily.

I tried installing the rings.  It was very difficult to get them precisely in place.  It was harder than in the instructional photos b/c the realforce slider housings are black, not white.  So you're putting black on black and it's really hard to see if you have it aligned properly.  One dampening ring maybe cut the noise down by 50%.  So, I proceeded to put another on it as suggested by jchan.  This helped to silence the return, but I measured, and 2 rings changed the key travel by a full millimeter.

So, here's what I did.  I tore them out, used some isopropyl and reinstalled my factory domes that are not loud as hell on the return. 

All fixed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 September 2018, 09:13:24 by pixelpusher »

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 16:31:08 »
Interesting, you were using bke ultra lights right? Did the single layered rings affect the tactility? Or you didin't even test it with one layer?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 19:33:12 »
It was still close to the same tactility with one as with none. It was reduced with two a noticeable amount.  With two, Inwas pretty much into the bump

Offline Hyde

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 15:39:45 »
Then would you say it would be a viable option then to go with 1 layer?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Gacct

« Reply #71 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 15:42:35 »
Interested in your take on these rings as you went from hypershperes and then to the silence x rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #72 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 16:49:31 »

Yes I think one layer is the best option but it’s not dead silent

Offline Hyde

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 21:48:59 »
Interested in your take on these rings as you went from hypershperes and then to the silence x rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think Hypersphere is best for silencing but it reduce travel too much so you start losing tactility.  Then I decide to try KBDFans rings and they're really thin so tactility is almost unaffected, but it doesn't silence as well also you don't get that super refined luxurious feeling on a properly silenced topre.

Hypersphere is about 0.57 mm and KBDFans is about 0.22 mm.  From older spec I think Keyclack rings are around 0.35 mm.  So I was hoping the Keyclack rings would be the best middle ground where it doesn't affect tactility but also silence more.

Though I haven't got mine yet so I don't really know.  I'll find out later.  :P

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 06:33:58 »
I recently installed ironed soft-landing pads in my Novatouch. So far it might be my favourite. It's as quiet as Hypersphere's rings, but can be made slimmer. Takes a while though... But the rings easy to obtain, and doesn't cost much.

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 09:29:57 »
I recently installed ironed soft-landing pads in my Novatouch. So far it might be my favourite. It's as quiet as Hypersphere's rings, but can be made slimmer. Takes a while though... But the rings easy to obtain, and doesn't cost much.

That's really nice, can you compare with other silencing methods? Just found out the existence of this ironed soft-landing pads, got me interested.

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 09:56:44 »
Well, yes. I have also used Hypersphere's rings in the Novatouch. I have a HHKB Pro 2 with purple sliders (from a factory silenced Realforce), before that I had Hypersphere's rings in that also.

As I said, the soft-landing pads can be made very thin (0.2 mm according to the thread below). However, it requires more work. I have not tried Keyclack's rings, or the KBDfans silence-x. However, in my opinion, it's really important to have silencing material which is as thin as possible, to avoid loss of tactility.

You can read more about the soft-landing pad mod here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49046.0

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 12:10:36 »
Well, yes. I have also used Hypersphere's rings in the Novatouch. I have a HHKB Pro 2 with purple sliders (from a factory silenced Realforce), before that I had Hypersphere's rings in that also.

As I said, the soft-landing pads can be made very thin (0.2 mm according to the thread below). However, it requires more work. I have not tried Keyclack's rings, or the KBDfans silence-x. However, in my opinion, it's really important to have silencing material which is as thin as possible, to avoid loss of tactility.

You can read more about the soft-landing pad mod here: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49046.0

I did this mod on my first NT.
Getting the landing pads as thin as possible AND making sure they're all the same thickness can be a challenge.
They've also decompressed quite a bit since then.
I would not recommend reinventing this wheel.

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 13:15:06 »
However, in my opinion, it's really important to have silencing material which is as thin as possible, to avoid loss of tactility.

I also agree, that is exactly why I am a bit concerned with a few silencing options. Been reading this thread you linked for a while now, thinking on trying this option.

Getting the landing pads as thin as possible AND making sure they're all the same thickness can be a challenge.

I definitely accept the challenge, but the decompression disappoints me a little. Did you feel any difference? And what do you mean with reinventing this wheel? Your advice is to stick with the others not that much DIY solutions out there? Like the v2 and silence-x?

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 19:12:04 »

I definitely accept the challenge, but the decompression disappoints me a little. Did you feel any difference? And what do you mean with reinventing this wheel? Your advice is to stick with the others not that much DIY solutions out there? Like the v2 and silence-x?

I can definitely notice the difference now they've decompressed somewhat.  The keyboard has lost most of it's tactility (not that there was much to begin with on 45g Topre).

Silence-X and Hypershpere both work well (I think I prefer silence-x though).
v1 also worked really well if one installed them right and could get past the horrendous failure rate. 

I haven't installed the v2 to compare, but I'd leave them stock rather than messing around with an iron.
I don't believe it's worth the effort if they're going to expand unevenly over time.

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 21:00:52 »

I can definitely notice the difference now they've decompressed somewhat.  The keyboard has lost most of it's tactility (not that there was much to begin with on 45g Topre).

Nice, I'm quite on the opposite end, I love the BKE extreme domes. I'll do some more research on the long term for these soft-landing pads before I make my choice. But also, I always can try something different if this doesn't work out, right? :D

I haven't installed the v2 to compare, but I'd leave them stock rather than messing around with an iron.
I don't believe it's worth the effort if they're going to expand unevenly over time.

Just to be sure, I think you meant the soft-landing pads with the iron stuff. As far as I understood, the v2 don't need iron to work as intended. But I also agree that if it will expand with time, it may not be worth it.

Anyway, thanks for the insights. When I finally choose something and have an opinion, I'll post it somewhere :D

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 07:56:51 »

Please post some proof of this decompression that you're talking about. The landing pads basically melt, so they should not decompress in any way. They still work great in my Novatouch. One of the sliders has a Hypersphere ring installed, and it sits lower than the ones with landing pads, i.e., the ironed landing pads are significantly thinner.

I agree that they are more difficult to modify, but it's not impossible. They are also cheaper. And readily available (also in Europe).
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 September 2018, 12:20:15 by the_marsbar »

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 08:56:04 »
Here's a comparison of the V2 ring and a Hypersphere ring thickness. Sorry for the shotty image quality, unfortunately I don't own a macro lens.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 10:19:39 »
Thanks for the comparisons. I haven't tried the v2 rings as yet.

When I was developing my silencing rings, I did extensive testing of materials to achieve what I considered the best balance of sound and feel, but of course personal preferences vary.

I also had durability in mind. I've had my rings in all my Topre boards (several each of HHKB Pro 2, RF87U, and Novatouch) for over 3 years with no signs of degradation thus far.

In any event, it is good to see that there are now a number of choices for Topre silencing to suit various personal preferences regarding sound, feel, and longevity.

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #84 on: Tue, 18 September 2018, 10:30:35 »

Please post some proof of this decompression that you're talking about. The landing pads basically melt, so they should not decompress in any way. They still work great in my Novatouch. On of the sliders has a Hypersphere ring installed, and it sits lower than the ones with landing pads, i.e., they are significantly thinner.

I agree that they are more difficult to modify, but it's not impossible. They are also cheaper. And readily available (also in Europe).

Don't feel like taking it apart for a photo, but you're on point - I don't think I melted them enough.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 22:27:25 »

v1 also worked really well if one installed them right and could get past the horrendous failure rate. 

If you notice any decompression of the ironed landing pads, it's because your clothing iron was not hot enough, or maybe you did not iron them for long enough. I takes a few seconds at relatively high temperature and relatively strong pressure for a pads to be flattened in a permanent way.

I have several keyboards that I have modded with the ironed landing pads technique several years ago. I think I modded them in 2013. There is absolutely no decompression.

Too hot would be if the pads melted completely. This has never happened with the clothing irons I have used, even when they were set to the maximum temperature, so I suspect that some clothing irons can't even get hot enough.

Some irons also require a long time to reach their operating temperature, and sometimes we start ironing too early. It happened to me.

I understand the ironed landing pad method can be a little tricky. It works, but it's not super easy.

I have ordered KBDFans silencing rings and I will report on their effectiveness, and compare them to my ironed landing pad method.

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 07:04:52 »

If you notice any decompression of the ironed landing pads, it's because your clothing iron was not hot enough, or maybe you did not iron them for long enough. I takes a few seconds at relatively high temperature and relatively strong pressure for a pads to be flattened in a permanent way.

I have several keyboards that I have modded with the ironed landing pads technique several years ago. I think I modded them in 2013. There is absolutely no decompression.

Too hot would be if the pads melted completely. This has never happened with the clothing irons I have used, even when they were set to the maximum temperature, so I suspect that some clothing irons can't even get hot enough.

Some irons also require a long time to reach their operating temperature, and sometimes we start ironing too early. It happened to me.

I understand the ironed landing pad method can be a little tricky. It works, but it's not super easy.

I have ordered KBDFans silencing rings and I will report on their effectiveness, and compare them to my ironed landing pad method.

Looking forward for the comparison.
You also said that is possible to over melt them. When you did the mod did you set a thickness target? Or went by the temperature + time pressuring?

Offline the_marsbar

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 20 September 2018, 07:06:27 »
It's best to aim for a specific thickness. I actually had to remove some of the pads in my Novatouch and give them another go.

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 20:11:34 »

You also said that is possible to over melt them. When you did the mod did you set a thickness target? Or went by the temperature + time pressuring?

I think one could melt them with a clothing iron, because I have approached this point. I warned about it, but it did not actually happen to me, even with the iron set at the max temp (hey, it's a clothing iron, after all).

After experimenting with the procedure, my target is the thickness. You should aim for a sixth to a quarter of a millimeter (~0.006 to 0.010 inch), because it's possible and the result is both good silencing and no loss of tactile feedback. You get this by using the highest temperature you can, without melting them, and good pressure. So even if you do not have any tool to measure the resulting thickness, this simple rule of thumb is all you need. You make one and you try to make it as thin as possible. Then you can use this one to compare to the other ones you make, and they should not feel thicker when you hold them between your fingers.

It's really unscientific, but you don't need more than that.

With more experience, I have noticed that a third of a millimeter is acceptable (~0.013 inch). I mention it because I know it's difficult to get to a quarter or a sixth.

At this point the landing pad looks more like a thin sheet of rubber than a foam pad.

Reduced tactility starts when the landing pad is half a millimeter thick (0.02 inch) or more, approximately. It's still OK, but you start noticing it. It's good to know because half a millimeter (0.02 inch) is not that hard to measure, and when you reach that point you know that you did not iron them hard enough.

Some silencing methods claim a reduction of travel of "only" half a millimeter (0.02 inch), but unfortunately it's already too much and some tactility is lost. It may actually be OK, but if you really want to keep the original tactility you should avoid them.

Offline KawabataLuis

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 17:22:15 »

I think one could melt them with a clothing iron, because I have approached this point. I warned about it, but it did not actually happen to me, even with the iron set at the max temp (hey, it's a clothing iron, after all).

After experimenting with the procedure, my target is the thickness. You should aim for a sixth to a quarter of a millimeter (~0.006 to 0.010 inch), because it's possible and the result is both good silencing and no loss of tactile feedback. You get this by using the highest temperature you can, without melting them, and good pressure. So even if you do not have any tool to measure the resulting thickness, this simple rule of thumb is all you need. You make one and you try to make it as thin as possible. Then you can use this one to compare to the other ones you make, and they should not feel thicker when you hold them between your fingers.

It's really unscientific, but you don't need more than that.

With more experience, I have noticed that a third of a millimeter is acceptable (~0.013 inch). I mention it because I know it's difficult to get to a quarter or a sixth.

At this point the landing pad looks more like a thin sheet of rubber than a foam pad.

Reduced tactility starts when the landing pad is half a millimeter thick (0.02 inch) or more, approximately. It's still OK, but you start noticing it. It's good to know because half a millimeter (0.02 inch) is not that hard to measure, and when you reach that point you know that you did not iron them hard enough.

Some silencing methods claim a reduction of travel of "only" half a millimeter (0.02 inch), but unfortunately it's already too much and some tactility is lost. It may actually be OK, but if you really want to keep the original tactility you should avoid them.

Nice, I don't know how hard it will be, but I'll try to aim for the sixth of a millimeter. I just ordered my foam pads, when I get them and try to iron them, I'll give some feedback as well  :)

Offline Hyde

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 16:26:49 »
Anyone else got their silence ring yet?  I haven't got mine also would be interested to hear more reviews.

:)

Offline Gacct

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 16:33:12 »
Anyone else got their silence ring yet?  I haven't got mine also would be interested to hear more reviews.

:)

I tried the new V2's on one of my keys before trying them on the entire keyboard. I didn't like how much it reduced the travel (you could visibly see the amount that the key was depressed due to the ring) so I didn't bother putting them on the rest of the board. I ended up just using some double sided 3M to attach the V1 rings onto the slider. Time consuming and a pain in the butt but I'm happy with the results (except for some rattling on the stabilizers - but that isn't the rings fault).

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 17:56:03 »
So what's the overall view on these? Too thick? Reducing too much of the tactility?
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Hyde

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 14:24:17 »
Also is it normal that I still haven't got my V2 rings yet?  Should I contact jchan to find out what's going on?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 28 November 2018, 17:27:10 »
Also is it normal that I still haven't got my V2 rings yet?  Should I contact jchan to find out what's going on?

Pretty sure the original gb all shipped.  I got mine a a few months ago.  Better contact

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 17 April 2019, 12:48:21 »
Here's a comparison of the V2 ring and a Hypersphere ring thickness. Sorry for the shotty image quality, unfortunately I don't own a macro lens.

Show Image

Sorry to necro, but I'm really curious about the thickness of the Keyclack V2 rings, and it's hard to tell from this pic how they compare to Hyperspheres. It looks like the Keyclack ring has a layer of adhesive or something? Does that add to the thickness?

I silenced my HHKB using rubber o-rings that are roughly 0.5mm thick and although I'm happy with the feel and sound, I'm worried about long term loss of tactility due to the slight compression of the domes. Would I be better off swapping for the Keyclack rings? Or the Silence-X ones?