Author Topic: [IC] Classic Space  (Read 34969 times)

Offline CQ_Cumbers

[IC] Classic Space
« on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 08:55:13 »

Please vote in our Poll!

Classic Space, the Lego-inspired keycap set design I presented here more than three years ago, is back at last! Through a new partnership with thekeycompany, we've found a manufacturer that should be able to faithfully reproduce the distinctive typography and colors of Classic Space's design with inverse dye sublimated PBT keycaps. We're still working out details and I'll keep you posted with new information, but we're much further along the path to a real group buy than ever before. Compared to doubleshot molds, sublimated legends require much less time, labor, and coordination to design, so if interest is high the real set could be in your hands in a matter of months from now. I'm very excited to finally see this set to production and I hope you are as well.

You can use the poll above to show your interest in the various kits.

Set Details
  • Reverse dyesub PBT keycaps in KAM profile
  • Custom Eurostile-inspired legend typography
  • All colors matched to those of original Lego bricks
  • Translucent polycarbonate "highlight keys" included
  • Kit layout on Keyboard Layout Editor

For additional information, check out the previous Interest Check thread

222990-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 July 2019, 15:46:35 by CQ_Cumbers »

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
Re: [IC] Classic Space
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 09:10:44 »
I think it would look great in SA. Was just wondering why are we not going with SP SA?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 09:17:11 »
I think it would look great in SA. Was just wondering why are we not going with SP SA?

I agree that Classic Space looks great in SA, but Signature Plastics has a longer waiting list and can't do the reverse dyesub themselves, so using their profile would increase manufacturing times and complexity. The profile we want to use is very similar to SA, but if it doesn't work out SP SA is definitely our second choice.

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 09:22:29 »
This looks wonderful. Add in the fact that it's PBT and I'm 100% in.

Offline vilagefool

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 09:27:06 »
Looks awesome. Render appears to be a uniform profile, that true? (please, oh please!)

Offline dsaf

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 09:27:21 »
So it looks like a set IC but is actually a new keycap profile IC?

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 09:35:02 »
Looks awesome. Render appears to be a uniform profile, that true? (please, oh please!)

Yes, the render is in uniform profile. I planned for the set to be uniform profile previously, so unless most people strongly prefer sculpted, we'll likely be able to move faster and reduce kit costs with a uniform profile set.

So it looks like a set IC but is actually a new keycap profile IC?

This is a new keycap set IC, but we may end up using a non-Signature Plastics but SA-like profile for the set.

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 12:12:27 »
Looks great!

Offline azulyf

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 12:44:24 »
Any information about manufacturer? I think there is quite limited choices for dye-sub SA. SP cannot do reverse dye-sub and I don't think they can make this font with double-shots. Wuming has done some SA dye-sub sets but I don't think they are good. Maybe try Keyreactive's new KAT profile?

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 13:10:30 »
Any information about manufacturer? I think there is quite limited choices for dye-sub SA. SP cannot do reverse dye-sub and I don't think they can make this font with double-shots. Wuming has done some SA dye-sub sets but I don't think they are good. Maybe try Keyreactive's new KAT profile?

Likely the same people who did some of the Led Zep dyesub novelties

Don't use KAT profile, SA is nice

Offline bciamny

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 14:20:07 »

Likely the same people who did some of the Led Zep dyesub novelties

Don't use KAT profile, SA is nice

i think if its going to be uniform it'd be kam. the kat shots i've seen on rmk seem nice too, though. why not kat profile, out of curiosity?

glad to see this is back. i can never have enough space-themed keyboard stuff :)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 16:18:21 »
I don't like those profiles lol

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 23:08:01 »
I'm in!

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 23:32:21 »
i like full on sculpted sa but use bolth so id buy either i like this set.

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 00:39:21 »
With it being pbt I am interested

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 00:45:41 »
Been watching this set for 3 years.  Glad to see it coming back to life.  The KLE link doesn't load for me

Offline monkt

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 09:36:21 »
With this being a Lego inspired set, to me it seems a shame it won't be in smooth abs to get closer to that Lego feel, and its polished look. I get the reasoning for the decision, but for this in particular I can't help but want abs.

But either way, it really does look nice. I would definitely want this. Just wondering what the texture will be like.

Offline bluesclera

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 17:22:15 »
My vote is for sculpted.

Offline KorbenDallas

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 23:42:00 »
Glad to see this set making a comeback, interested in more information and samples from whatever manufacturer is being used.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 03:39:46 »
OMG, I was literally going through my notifications and started reading the old thread. I can't believe its back on!! And the polycarb key too...  ;D

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 07:50:55 »
Lego is made from ABS, and classic Lego space was made from a nice ABS. They modern stuff appears somewhat translucent and less precise compared to the bricks from back in the '80s.

The colour needs to be a precise match because these keys are going to be on keyboards where the cases are made of genuine Lego and the colours and finish 'd better not clash. The sides of the keys should be smooth, not textured. SP's SA profile is smooth though.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 10:19:20 »
Wow throwback

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

Offline jacobavenkraft

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 14:50:24 »
Legends on the Planck keys would be nice.  Quite a few designers are opting for generic Assembly instruction legends which satisfies those who prefer alternate layouts while still allowing the mods to have the standard colorway accents of the keyset design.

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 19:35:33 »
It's finally happening!!! Been wanting this set to drop for years. Filled out the form and will be following the IC religiously.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 08:35:55 »
Legends on the Planck keys would be nice.  Quite a few designers are opting for generic Assembly instruction legends which satisfies those who prefer alternate layouts while still allowing the mods to have the standard colorway accents of the keyset design.

Is anyone opposed to this idea? I'm strongly considering implementing assembly mnemonic legends for Planck and Ergodox (though no promises yet).

Offline regack

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 12:12:10 »
I'm in - no real opinion on the mnemonic legends, although, if they have legends, I might end up buying a kit just to have the extra keys, so... maybe that is an opinion.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 10:18:27 »

Is anyone opposed to this idea? I'm strongly considering implementing assembly mnemonic legends for Planck and Ergodox (though no promises yet).

Is that similar to SA Oblivion? If so, I'm not sure how it fits the Lego theme. Maybe use icons?

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 11:40:49 »
Cool set and always cool to see more reverse dyesub.

Offline jacobavenkraft

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 10:54:07 »

Is that similar to SA Oblivion? If so, I'm not sure how it fits the Lego theme. Maybe use icons?

Are you actually asking how "assembly" fits the Lego theme?  ;D

Tongue-in-cheek comments aside, yes, I was referring to the SA Oblivion style of keycap mnemonic which has now appeared on more than a couple of other keycap sets (GMK Space Cadet, SA Green Screen, and in the IC for GMK Carbon R2 to mention a few).  It seems that Assembly instructions may become the go to mnemonic device for designers who want to steer away from blanks when it comes to Planck/Ergo subsets.  That being said, I also think icons would look cool -- the Micons by MiTo are always great looking.  It could be a challenge to come up with an entirely new set of icons to fit the Lego theme, but it could be done.  Alternatively, some space themed terminology such as what was used on Godspeed XDA would definitely fit here (MAL, GYRO, DRAG, ROLL, PITCH, YAW, ATMOS, etc.).

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 20:30:16 »
Definitely in. I had a bunch of the original lego space sets and my son has the re-released one from the lego movie (I added some of the original lego parts - like the space ship number - to his re-release set). I defer to the creator on design choices, but I make one humble idea to consider: a novelty key with the "serial number" for both the original lego spaceship (LL 928) and the re-released one (LL 929). See here:

202542-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

EDIT: Oh, and see the "arrow" decal on the old space lego on the side of the ship - any chance you could replicate that symbol for the arrows on the keyboard?
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 August 2018, 21:42:32 by mrpetrov »

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 18:47:03 »

The assembly legends are usually used on sculpted sets to alleviate concerns about mismatched legends. If this is a flat set there's no worry about that so why not just provide standard or lego-themed legends? Or, since it's dye-subbed, lego-themed icons? Basically, IMHO, almost_anything_else > assembly_legends > blanks.

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 12:41:49 »
I've made some revisions to the set design - I'd like to know your opinion on them

• Each novelty now has 2u and 2.25u versions
  • There are 3 extra 1u blanks in the ISO kit
  • The Planck kit now has legends, abbreviated to fit on 1u keys
  • The Ergodox kit now has assembly legends
  • There is a new 40% kit

These are still subject to change - especially which trans yellow caps are included, as those depend on the available tooling from the manufacturer.

Also, we will most likely use KAM profile, despite being lower than SA R3, because it is uniform, can be dyesubbed, has a smooth texture, and doesn't have too long a waiting list.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 September 2018, 12:50:49 by CQ_Cumbers »

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 13:15:45 »
Are you considering a NorDe Kit?

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 14:06:00 »
The layout I'm most concerned with is the 65% layout used by the Tada68, which has a 1U Ctrl, Alt, and Fn in the bottom row, to the right of the spacebar, as well as a 1.75U right shift.  It might be worthwhile to put a 1U Ctrl and Alt in the Nonstandard Layouts Kit for that, otherwise you need the Nonstandard Layouts Kit just for the 1.75U shift and 1U Fn, and the Planck Kit for the Ctrl and Alt.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 02:37:38 »
I've made some revisions to the set design - I'd like to know your opinion on them

• Each novelty now has 2u and 2.25u versions
  • The Planck kit now has legends, abbreviated to fit on 1u keys
  • The Ergodox kit now has assembly legends
  • There is a new 40% kit

These are still subject to change - especially which trans yellow caps are included, as those depend on the available tooling from the manufacturer.

Also, we will most likely use KAM profile, despite being lower than SA R3, because it is uniform, can be dyesubbed, has a smooth texture, and doesn't have too long a waiting list.

Great news!! Thanks for the update.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 09 September 2018, 10:43:08 »
The layout I'm most concerned with is the 65% layout used by the Tada68, which has a 1U Ctrl, Alt, and Fn in the bottom row, to the right of the spacebar, as well as a 1.75U right shift.  It might be worthwhile to put a 1U Ctrl and Alt in the Nonstandard Layouts Kit for that, otherwise you need the Nonstandard Layouts Kit just for the 1.75U shift and 1U Fn, and the Planck Kit for the Ctrl and Alt.
+1 These are also used on 75% boards.

Offline impaktor

• Blog on emacs & keyboards
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 13:32:13 »
+1 for uniform profile,
+1 for PBT

...now if only there also were META, HYPER, SUPER keys.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 19 September 2018, 13:39:29 »
I love the font. I personally am in favor of uniform profile. As much as I like sculpted caps, it makes it a pain to get all the kits unless I'm dead set on using it on one layout and never anything else.

I will follow this thread for updates.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline comdata55

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 14:50:49 »
any update on this? -1 on uniform profile

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 15:34:29 »

Offline CQ_Cumbers

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 17:26:08 »
I've done a new render of all the planned kits for Classic Space, which you can see below. Some things to keep in mind:
  • The availability of the highlight kit depends on our manufacturer's capabilities, but at the moment it seems unlikely.
  • Previous renders were SA-like, but KAM is significantly lower profile than SA. I've updated the render in the OP to reflect this.
  • The darkness of the translucent caps is partly a rendering artifact, and partly because they were backlit in previous renders and are now on a dark background.
I'm waiting on dyesub legend samples from our manufacturer, but they are taking longer than anticipated. I'll share more information (and pictures!) as soon as I get it.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 21:59:33 »
I think the Ergodox kit should have legends about spaceship, space tech or something like that. Why those legends are assembly directives? They seems unrelated to this theme.

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 07 October 2018, 22:20:18 »
I like this set & am interested. Looking forward to this GB!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline phatty

• dailyclack.com
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 00:09:49 »
I could see this happening.

I'd be in for a "spaceship" amount

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 02:20:45 »
So KAM profile is the final decision then? Dang I'd still secretly hope for fully sculpted SP SA :(.

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 10:12:25 »
If this was sculpted SA (or even R3 SA tbh) I'd be in in a heartbeat for the whole set.
Call me a purist, but a Lego keyset should be in nice smooth ABS, just like the bricks themselves...

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 10:22:28 »
I've done a new render of all the planned kits for Classic Space, which you can see below. Some things to keep in mind:
  • The availability of the highlight kit depends on our manufacturer's capabilities, but at the moment it seems unlikely.
  • Previous renders were SA-like, but KAM is significantly lower profile than SA. I've updated the render in the OP to reflect this.
  • The darkness of the translucent caps is partly a rendering artifact, and partly because they were backlit in previous renders and are now on a dark background.
I'm waiting on dyesub legend samples from our manufacturer, but they are taking longer than anticipated. I'll share more information (and pictures!) as soon as I get it.
Wow those kit renders are fantastic! If KAM is like SA, but significantly lower profile, I’m in for sure.

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 12:22:00 »
If this was sculpted SA (or even R3 SA tbh) I'd be in in a heartbeat for the whole set.
Call me a purist, but a Lego keyset should be in nice smooth ABS, just like the bricks themselves...

+1. Couldn't have said better myself.

Offline monkt

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 13:03:50 »

+1. Couldn't have said better myself.

Do we know that KAM keycaps aren't smooth? Or smooth-ish, at least? I don't think many people have experienced KAM keycaps in person just yet. I imagine the creator of this set might have some more insight into this. If not, maybe they can get the manufacturer to say how the texture is relative to other common profiles. That would be useful information.

Offline xgalaxy

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 08 October 2018, 13:25:42 »
I'm in for this. I like the KAM profile and think there are too many SA keycaps sets out there as it is so I'm glad this is offering something different and unique.

My only suggestion would be to echo another's in this thread that the ergodox kit doesn't seem to reflect the rest of the theme in terms of what is printed on the keycaps. It may be too late, but maybe simple iconography would be better here.