Author Topic: [GB] Lumina GB : Update posted in Comments  (Read 160277 times)

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

[GB] Lumina GB : Update posted in Comments
« on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 11:55:53 »
GB Now Closed for orders! We will be starting on production arrangements this week!

Thank you all for your support in this awesome opportunity of a GB!

Stay tuned for updates here!

UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST

Hello Geekhack!

We at Greenwald Designs are thrilled to announce: The Lumina Group Buy is now open!

It has been a while since our last update, and for good reason. We have refined the design, secured the best manufacturer, and achieved our goal to provide you with the best combination of features, innovation, and price.

The 100% Made in the USA Lumina is now ready to be ordered, and will remain open until Monday, August 27th, 2018.

Visit our online store: https://www.luminakb.com/ to view all the  options for materials and colors! We offer set kits: https://www.luminakb.com/kits-1, as well as a Build-Your-Own: https://www.luminakb.com/parts-1 tool.

A lot has changed in the last couple of months, so here are all the updated details for the Lumina 60% Keyboard:

- 7 degree angle through the use of aluminum or brass base pieces
 - 6 color options for anodized aluminum plates and bases (Clear, Blue, Purple, Black, Red, Rose Gold)
 - 7 color options for acrylic plates (Clear, Blue, Purple, Black, Red, Frosted, White)
 - 4 corian colors (Cameo White, Deep Black Quartz, Red Hot, Elderberry)
 - HHKB top piece option, as well as standard 60% top piece option
 - Plates support Alps switches, as well as a plethora of layouts.
 - Plate files are open sourced. We will be posting the files soon.
 - The Lumina supports all standard 60% pcb on the market with the exception of hotswap pcbs.
 - The option of the waldo pcb, made by /u/that-canadian , with some awesome layouts and features.

The Groupbuy will be open for 2 weeks, and once it ends, we will place the order for production. Production time, depending on sales, will range from 2 to 3 months.

Shipping is flat rate in the US and Canada:

- US: $30
 - Canada: $40,

EU shipping costs will be determined by volume and proxy services with Mechboards.co.uk.

Shipping to all other countries will be set and invoiced separately on a case by case basis. If this applies to you, please reach out to us.

The GB Site is Luminakb.com, please come and take a look at our options and offerings. Note: Site may not work properly if accessed via VPN.

Additionally, if you want to see some builds and here how it sounds, come take a listen to /u/feelghoodmuzik type on the Brass Lumina with 4 different switch types.

feature=youtu.be

Let me know if you have any questions, and thanks for reading!

Big thanks to /u/FeelgHoodMuzik for the amazing typing tests and photos, u/packman86 and u/plexabyte for the stunning renders featured on the site, and all those friends and supporters who helped make our dream of the Lumina a reality!

Some more renders in case you didn't get to see them on the site: https://imgur.com/a/O1ppM9H[/img

Update:

We have some exciting updates for you on the Lumina GB!

____

We now have an Acrylic base option for the Lumina on our website: https://www.luminakb.com/. It comes in all the same colors as the acrylic plates that we offer, and we also have included aluminum cone feet to boot. Now you can get a flat angle, as well as the original 7 Degree angle, like the other angled bases.
________

Additionally, with the use of Frosted or Clear acrylic, RGB underglow compatibility has now been added to the Lumina.
_________

Come on over and build your own kit: https://www.luminakb.com/parts-1 while we work on putting together some premade kits!

_____

Some Renders: https://imgur.com/a/9v8dTo5 that have been added to the master render album: https://imgur.com/a/O1ppM9H

______

Additionally, one person, /u/rainb0wbac0n on reddit, has talked to us about a special color, Cosmos Prima, which is not currently being offered. We did confirm that if an MOQ of 25 units were to be reached, we would be able to run it at the same price point as the Cameo White and similarly priced options. This color option is the same as in these renders: https://imgur.com/a/9v8dTo5 by /u/plexabyte.

If you are interested in this colorway, please feel free to fill out this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfotfSZhsGtk8oJQWIZqdOC4BYVSn7-n5He1qbR0ZGwjAOMzQ/viewform and Let us know!

________

Just a reminder, the Lumina GB will be closing August 27th, 2018, so you have 11 more days to get your order in!

___

Let us know if you have any questions!

Update:

Hello all!

Today was scheduled to be the last day to place orders for the Lumina keyboard. We were planning on closing the sales, and placing the order. However, we have received quite a considerable amount of messages from members of the community, concerning extensions on the GB period. We want to provide anyone who wants a Lumina with the time to order one, so we have decided to fulfill your requests!

We are extending the GB by another week! The new final date for the Lumina GB is now September 3rd, 2018.

Additionally, Cosmos Prima is now available on the store to be purchased by anyone! Cosmos Prima example
It will be available in the Build Your Own section of the store, when you choose the corian color for your top and bottom corian pieces.

The Acrylic Base option is on the store in the Build your Own kit section, and we have also put up a premade kit as an example of one of the many variations you can come up with in the Build-Your-Own section of the website.

_

The Acrylic base is an option that not only reduces weight, for those of you who do not want a 7 pound board to lug around, but it also reduces the prices. The addition of the acrylic base brings the price range low to $231 with an acrylic plate chosen. Come over and check out all the different color combinations you can come up with, and see how it affects the pricing!

While we are extending the GB another week, we will also be taking the time to keep working on getting the best international pricing for shipping. Bear with us as we work on getting those numbers, and once we do we will post them in the next GB update!

Make sure to get your orders in by then, and let us know if you have any questions!

Here are some images of Gmk Stormtrooper on a Cameo White Lumina

202580-0202582-1

UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2nd:

Hello all!

Just a reminder, tomorrow, September 3rd, at 11:59pm EST, we will officially close the GB, and start production of the Lumina orders.

Additionally we have prices for shipping for EU as well as AU.

Because of the variance in weight for the different bases, there are many variables. The prices of shipping reflect this, so if you have questions about shipping for a certain selection of kits/bases, please do message us, and we will give you a personalized estimate.

Some more pictures of the Lumina, this time with GMK Oblivion: https://imgur.com/a/xVmudDf

As usual, let us know if you have any questions, and thank you for all your support!

Just to reiterate, website is Luminakb.com

https://imgur.com/a/7T6GHGK

if you for some reason did not make it into the allotted time to order, and you really wanted to, please do let us know, we will potentially be able to accommodate!

UPDATE: December 6th

Waldo PCBs have landed, and we are checking all of them, as well as programming, and arranging for them to be added to the QMK Configurator: https://imgur.com/A1AGaof

Production Spec Lumina pieces with all the updated tolerances are being (allegedly) made, and we will have pictures up with some of the current batches and colors.

UPDATE: December 18th:

Apologies for the late update, Lumina Plate file template can be found and downloaded here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bB3RgncaowyYUo3oORGlF2Pigo2Q3ip5/view?usp=sharing

Have not been able to visit the Manu for pics this week or last week, been slammed with work.

UPDATE: March 5th:

Communication with my current manufacturer for the most important part of the Lumina, the Corian and the bases, is horrendous, and I have decided to move production for the bases to a different manufacturer to speed things along. I was told that I would have finished production units by now, but I suspect that the base manufacturing has not been started yet. For the month or so, I have been scoping out a new manufacturer for the bases, and I have samples coming for both brass and aluminum to make sure that quality is good for this one I have found. I will be eating the cost for the time being from the Lumina base order I placed with my current manufacturer in order to get stuff done faster, as like you all have been waiting, I have too with this particular manufacturer. If it comes to it, I will also find a new manufacturer for the Corian, as big of a loss as it would be.

I'm still actively trying to get any good news from the current manufacturer, but regardless of what I hear back, there will be a new manufacturer for the bases in order to speed up the production. The new place plans to have samples in my hands within the next couple of weeks, so I am hoping that is true, and not all talk like the current manufacturer.

I do apologize for the delay. Frustration levels are high, and the GB is long, but I intend to finish it out no matter what it takes.

If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to me on discord @tesletron#0001 or on here(although I still suck at geekhack) or by email.

Additionally, the site has been taken down, and no other orders are being taken. I will update both here and on discord.

Update 4/15/19

Hey all! An update on the overall Lumina situation: We have gotten satisfactory samples of both the Aluminum AND Brass bases (upgraded from Polished Brass to PVD coated) and the pvd brass plates. Aluminum plates are in and ready for the anodization process. Both meet our standards and knowing quality is up to spec, mass production order is being placed. Linked below are pictures of the plates and bases. Acrylic Plates and Bases have been QC'd and are finished. The waldo is now also officially in the QMK configurator.

https://imgur.com/a/LY05uP5

Thanks for Reading!

Update 5/6/19

Samples from new factory came in today, and quality is absolutely above and beyond what I was expecting.  I have tentatively assembled the board to check fit with the other parts, and everything is very comfortable and easy to assemble. Corner Radii fit perfect, threaded inserts are as solid as can be, and production will now move forward at full throttle. Will update with lead time this week. Thank you all again for your patience and support on this project!

Here is an album of the Cosmos Prima variant with the Brass plate and weight features: https://imgur.com/a/BRiDQGv

Update 5/8/19

New samples in with more colors, update to follow with lead time, in the meantime, here is an album of the Elderberry, Cosmos Prima, and Red in various lighting environments. https://imgur.com/a/pXzHdi0
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2019, 20:47:15 by GreenwaldDesigns »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [GB] Lumina - Corian 60% Custom Keyboard, Group Buy now Open for Orders
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 14:21:50 »
Approval bump.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 14:42:27 »
I'm so in that I already bought it. Really excited to see how corian sounds in person, a great project.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 15:15:39 »
Couldn’t agree more. I don’t think I’ve purchased a keyboard so fast as I did the Lumina. Elderberry come to papa!

Offline bard

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 16:20:59 »
when will EU proxy have the GB enabled?
will be the same dates as the vendor?

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 16:23:12 »

The way we have it planned out is you can order from our site, and choose the international option. Once we get final numbers, we will invoice each person based on cost we get from shipping a batch to the EU and dividing it up into the number of orders. Currently we are working with David over at Mechboards.co.uk on that.

Offline bard

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 17:17:54 »

The way we have it planned out is you can order from our site, and choose the international option. Once we get final numbers, we will invoice each person based on cost we get from shipping a batch to the EU and dividing it up into the number of orders. Currently we are working with David over at Mechboards.co.uk on that.

Sound good to me!
Please put it somewhere, as I've met such solution for the first time ;)

btw have you noticed that all EU proxies are done by a nice guy named David? (Mechboards.co.uk/mykeyboard.eu/candykeys.com)

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 17:31:26 »

Sound good to me!
Please put it somewhere, as I've met such solution for the first time ;)

btw have you noticed that all EU proxies are done by a nice guy named David? (Mechboards.co.uk/mykeyboard.eu/candykeys.com)

Oh man I didn't even notice that XD

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 22:09:52 »
Rad. so excited about this!

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

Offline tunadesu

Re: [GB] Lumina - Corian 60% (UPDATE 8/16/18) ACRYLIC BASE, COSMOS PRIMA MOQ
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 22:18:10 »
Man, what a cool board! Where/when are the plate files going to be posted btw? :o

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 23:26:25 »
Man, what a cool board! Where/when are the plate files going to be posted btw? :o

They will be posted soon! We just want to make sure the template for the files is perfect and easy to use for everyone!

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 13:51:20 »
Did you mean it won't support kailh hot swap pcbs? Whats stopping it?
Alps64 w/ Orange Alps | SatanGH60 Gartistotles

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 14:14:52 »
Did you mean it won't support kailh hot swap pcbs? Whats stopping it?

The board might support khail hotswap, but just to not give false hope, I have not confirmed it, because we have not been able to test it. As far as clearance issues go, it should be working fine.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 17:51:28 »
Is it possible to change my order? I replied to my confirmation (luminakb@gmail.com) but haven't heard anything back.

Love this board, happy it's finally coming to life!

Also -- just to confirm, the black will have speckles like in the color sample, right? They're not visible in the render, so just checking.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 August 2018, 21:31:35 »
Is it possible to change my order? I replied to my confirmation (luminakb@gmail.com) but haven't heard anything back.

Love this board, happy it's finally coming to life!

Also -- just to confirm, the black will have speckles like in the color sample, right? They're not visible in the render, so just checking.

You you can definitely change your order! Let me check the store, I can see if I missed the email.

As far as the texture, yes, it does have the speckles.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 09:20:31 »
How heavy is the board. kit or built I don't mind. A reference would be nice.

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 18 August 2018, 09:42:23 »
How heavy is the board. kit or built I don't mind. A reference would be nice.

So a built Brass bottom kit will range from 6 to 7 Pounds or so

An Aluminum will be between 3 and 4 pounds.

The acrylic base will be between 1 and 2 pounds.

If you want a point of reference, the Fjell weighs around 5 pounds or so.

Offline Starius

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 13:01:51 »
I didn't know about this project until today. 
My credit card bill may not like me, but I'm in the buy now!

I'm going with a monochrome white and black build.

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 15:18:39 »
I didn't know about this project until today. 
My credit card bill may not like me, but I'm in the buy now!

I'm going with a monochrome white and black build.

Very good color choice :)

Offline catamscott

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 14:14:32 »
wow, i'm really loving that cosmos prima! hope it makes moq

Offline Deep

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 18:31:11 »
What keyset is on the first board?

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 18:43:01 »
wow, i'm really loving that cosmos prima! hope it makes moq

it is really close to moq, I think we just need like 2 or 3 more people last I checked. Once we get 25, I will make an announcement, and put it up on the site for people to order :) Spread the news, the more, the better!

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 18:43:35 »
What keyset is on the first board?

The keyset on the first board is GMK Olivia, which will actually be shipping in a couple months!

Offline feralfoo

• Software developer and mech keyboard nut
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 03:16:03 »
May I have a shipping estimate for Australia?
HHKB Pro JP + Hasu controller, Realforce RF87U55G, G60 Retro, QK65

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 10:26:25 »
May I have a shipping estimate for Australia?

We are currently working on shipping quotes for Australia, since there seem to be quite a few people interested. We want to see if we can bundle some orders together to be able to reduce the cost per person.

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 13:48:42 »
I am all over this if it gets extended by even one week. So beautiful

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 15:26:23 »
Oh my ****ing god... Was just checking geekhack interest check and group buy since I've not been there for a long time.. And just stumbling upon this crazy case! I'm in with Elderberry Brass :eek: ... Poor bank account  :-X
I have a zeal60 pcb which will be perfect for this (I guess it is compatible), now I have to find a keyset!

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 16:57:47 »
Oh my ****ing god... Was just checking geekhack interest check and group buy since I've not been there for a long time.. And just stumbling upon this crazy case! I'm in with Elderberry Brass :eek: ... Poor bank account  :-X
I have a zeal60 pcb which will be perfect for this (I guess it is compatible), now I have to find a keyset!

We are glad you like our work!

Offline feralfoo

• Software developer and mech keyboard nut
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 05:39:22 »
We are currently working on shipping quotes for Australia, since there seem to be quite a few people interested. We want to see if we can bundle some orders together to be able to reduce the cost per person.

Sweet! I am keen to get my hands on this.
HHKB Pro JP + Hasu controller, Realforce RF87U55G, G60 Retro, QK65

Offline foxlive

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 08:55:29 »

You're welcome! Hope the shipping to France will not be to expensive  :p

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 09:49:46 »

You're welcome! Hope the shipping to France will not be to expensive  :p

So far we have quite a few people in the EU interested in the board, so it should not be too bad when we ship all the orders together.

Offline catamscott

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 10:24:54 »
in for the brass plate/base with cosmos prima. hoping that everyone else in the ic follows through with their orders as well

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 10:49:29 »
in for the brass plate/base with cosmos prima. hoping that everyone else in the ic follows through with their orders as well

That would be ideal indeed. Certainly will be an awesome color to have the lumina in :)

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 11:09:00 »
I wonder what Elderberry top and Cosmos Prima bottom would look like. Hm.

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 11:45:55 »
I wonder what Elderberry top and Cosmos Prima bottom would look like. Hm.

It would probably be a very cool color combination. I might be able to get my render guy to pop one out!

Offline foxlive

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 01:18:22 »
I have a small question. I bought the « Elderberry Brass », as far as I understand it come with a brass plate too ? Not only brass base? So this brass plate is reserved to every full « brass » kit?

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 09:10:05 »
I have a small question. I bought the « Elderberry Brass », as far as I understand it come with a brass plate too ? Not only brass base? So this brass plate is reserved to every full « brass » kit?

If you bought one of the premade kits and it was brass, it will come with the brass plate as well as the brass base. You can pick and choose all your parts in the build your own section, so there is no limit to the various parts you can get or the combination of parts. The premade kits are there so that if people are not confident enough to pick their own kit parts, they have something to fall back on.

Offline neuroboros

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 20:03:15 »
This is incredibly beautiful and elegant. Any plans to make a 65% version?

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 21:35:34 »
This is incredibly beautiful and elegant. Any plans to make a 65% version?

Thank you!

We do plan to do a 65% but that will not be some time til mid of next year, well after this one finishes.

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 24 August 2018, 22:21:31 »
We do plan to do a 65% but that will not be some time til mid of next year, well after this one finishes.

Are you looking to do a 65% similar in layout to the M65-A? I don't think I can budget this GB unfortunately but I would be very very interested in saving up for a 65% version of this. These are absolutely beautiful and I am heartbroken I can't afford one during the GB window.

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 19:52:53 »

Are you looking to do a 65% similar in layout to the M65-A? I don't think I can budget this GB unfortunately but I would be very very interested in saving up for a 65% version of this. These are absolutely beautiful and I am heartbroken I can't afford one during the GB window.

it will be something similar to that layout yes.

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 21:23:40 »

I don't think I can budget this GB unfortunately but I would be very very interested in saving up for a 65% version of this. These are absolutely beautiful and I am heartbroken I can't afford one during the GB window.

You and me both, haha. Will very much be looking forward to buying the 65% version though! such a cool design.

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 25 August 2018, 21:28:08 »

I don't think I can budget this GB unfortunately but I would be very very interested in saving up for a 65% version of this. These are absolutely beautiful and I am heartbroken I can't afford one during the GB window.

You and me both, haha. Will very much be looking forward to buying the 65% version though! such a cool design.

Thank you for your support! We absolutely plan on doing a 65%, but it will be a bit before we launch that, as well have to finish the Lumina GB, as well as another layout before we get to the 65%

Offline hervuli

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 10:27:23 »

Thank you for your support! We absolutely plan on doing a 65%, but it will be a bit before we launch that, as well have to finish the Lumina GB, as well as another layout before we get to the 65%

Oooh, do tell :) And I'd be totally in for a 65% as well as long as the arrow-key blocker is an option.

In the meantime, still trying to decide between white and elderberry for this run...
JD40v2 MX Grey | HHKB BKE Heavy | E6-V2 78g Tealios | ZealX60 72g MX Zilent | TGR 910 RE 78g MX Zilent | Singa Vintage MX Black | Octagon V2 MX Grey | Orion V2 MX Clear | Novatouch BKE Extreme

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 11:07:23 »

Oooh, do tell :) And I'd be totally in for a 65% as well as long as the arrow-key blocker is an option.

In the meantime, still trying to decide between white and elderberry for this run...

Hahah yeah those two would be the top choices for sure. I guess it all depends on the keyset you plan to put on the build.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 26 August 2018, 11:08:35 »
huehuehue

Offline GreenwaldDesigns

Re: [GB] Lumina - Corian 60% (UPDATE 8/27/18) GB Extended One Week!
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 21:51:16 »
Lumina GB has been extended a week to accommodate the many people who requested more time! Cheers!

Offline JoeriW

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 08:26:25 »
How are the sales in Europe looking, any indication how much extra shipping/import costs will be added yet?

Offline bard

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 10:21:36 »
How are the sales in Europe looking, any indication how much extra shipping/import costs will be added yet?

What I know from the GB owner(s), they are going to ship keebs to UK. Then they will ship to buyers.
I have not found any information about shipping costs, it was always free.