Author Topic: Gateron switches get scratchier over time?  (Read 4776 times)

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
Gateron switches get scratchier over time?
« on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 20:07:37 »
Hello ! I got a KBD75 with Gateron yellows i lubed them lightly with Krytox lube only the stems. After 3 months of use for gaming i noticed that the asdw aren't smooth any more like the other keys that didn't get heavily used. I game a lot on this board so yeah asdw got a lot of usage out of them.

I find this kinda weird because isn't it how more the keys are getting used the smoother the switch get? Can anyone test this as well i am kinda surprised.

Edit: i am using the version with black bottom and clear top.

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 August 2018, 20:32:57 by Sup »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline Ephemeral

Re: Gateron switches get scratchier over time?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 20:16:57 »
I have Gat Blacks on my gaming board that I built a couple years ago and I definitely feel some kind of resistance on the WASD cluster that isn't present on the other keys. Especially on the W.
The E feels far smoother compared to the W.

I have heard before that Gaterons become "scratchy" over time, so we aren't the only ones.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 20:21:05 »
I have Gat Blacks on my gaming board that I built a couple years ago and I definitely feel some kind of resistance on the WASD cluster that isn't present on the other keys. Especially on the W.

I have heard before that Gaterons become "scratchy" over time, so we aren't the only ones.

Yeah it's pretty weird i don't think it's a myth. I have a theory it has to do something with the metal leaf in the switch is wearing out after a lot of uses making it feel scratchier. I don't think there is anything wrong with the stem or the housing it self.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 20:23:24 »

Yeah it's pretty weird i don't think it's a myth. I have a theory it has to do something with the metal leaf in the switch is wearing out after a lot of uses making it feel scratchier. I don't think there is anything wrong with the stem or the housing it self.

Interesting. I'll pop a couple open and look.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 20:43:50 »
Its definitely the leaf. I noticed the leaf in the W is more dull than the leaf in the E.
I looked at the stems, the housing, and the springs and saw no difference.
You can really see that the right leaf in the left switch is worn and a little discolored.
Sorry for the mediocre photography.

202034-0
Collection:
More

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 21:44:30 »
Its definitely the leaf. I noticed the leaf in the W is more dull than the leaf in the E.
I looked at the stems, the housing, and the springs and saw no difference.
You can really see that the right leaf in the left switch is worn and a little discolored.
Sorry for the mediocre photography.

(Attachment Link)

Seems like it is the Leaf  :blank: . Rip Gateron i liked them but now i think i have to transplant the stem and spring into a cherry housing to keep it smooth for years.
current
Coming soon

Offline Auslander

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 August 2018, 22:56:26 »
Maybe there like Alps and get rougher with more use  :))
HHKB JP | Realforce 104UB-DK | HHKB Pro 2

Offline killyou

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 05:14:32 »
Maybe it's because of the lube reacting with the metal leaf?

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 13:45:42 »

I doubt it because other keys are fine and smooth like day one.
current
Coming soon

Offline Sgt_4Leaf

• Formerly Row009 and StarCraftII
  • I have hands
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 14:15:44 »

That does not eliminate that possibility, as frequent friction can potentially push more toward the leaf etc.
And by "reacting", I'm not quite sure he meant chemically necessarily. 

Does anybody happen to have Gateron Reds in black Through-The-Hole-LED housing with the issues stated above?
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 August 2018, 14:19:13 by Sgt_4Leaf »

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 August 2018, 18:41:30 »

That does not eliminate that possibility, as frequent friction can potentially push more toward the leaf etc.
And by "reacting", I'm not quite sure he meant chemically necessarily. 

Does anybody happen to have Gateron Reds in black Through-The-Hole-LED housing with the issues stated above?

Yeah maybe it could be true what you are saying. Because Cherry doesn't seem to have problem with it and they have gold plated contact leafs that maybe stops the oxidation??
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 August 2018, 19:16:41 by Sup »
current
Coming soon