Author Topic: Offline storage backups  (Read 1012 times)

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Offline storage backups
« on: Wed, 27 March 2024, 13:51:45 »
I'm in the processes of organizing and consolidating my offline backups. Pretty much anything and everything that I want to keep, but don't want to consume precious space on my NAS.

I've used git-annex up until this point, but I haven't loved it up to this point. Lots of state to track and I've had issues before where one annex wants to overwrite or drop the objects stored on another drive. I'm thinking it's time for a change

How do you all handle your offline backups, if at all. I would love an LTO setup but those drives are way out of the "reasonable" price range for your average consumer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2024, 13:53:28 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline TomahawkLabs

Re: Offline storage backups
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 March 2024, 14:24:03 »
As someone who almost lost their entire movie/music library because of a housefire (luckily the PC was in the basement and the drive survived the water damager and spin fine to this day). I currently have 2 PCs in my home and 1 is my mainstay PC and another box as a "server". So I have 2 systems with the files in case one dies out of nowhere. What I need to do next is get a 4tb drive, copy the files and drop it off at my mom's house a mile away for "offsite".

Otherwise all my files/photos are split between iCloud and OneDrive.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 March 2024, 14:41:11 »
What I need to do next is get a 4tb drive, copy the files and drop it off at my mom's house a mile away for "offsite".

Do you keep a record of all the files and their metadata? I one of the biggest pain points for is connecting the dots between "this is the file I'm looking for" -> "this is the specific file name" -> "this specific file is on this specific drive"
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 April 2024, 16:20:48 »
What I need to do next is get a 4tb drive, copy the files and drop it off at my mom's house a mile away for "offsite".

Do you keep a record of all the files and their metadata? I one of the biggest pain points for is connecting the dots between "this is the file I'm looking for" -> "this is the specific file name" -> "this specific file is on this specific drive"

Movies no, as it’s embedded from my source. Music is just bad. I haven’t been using my PC lately due to my kids interest in gaming and my new routine which puts me to bed sooner. One day I’ll do it. Right now MusicBee just gets close.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping