Author Topic: Vault 111 by PEXON. A Fallout 4 themed PC FINAL PICS AND VIDEO- COME SEE!  (Read 16020 times)

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
Hello GH, this is a little bit different. I am in the process of making a Fallout 4 themed rig. I wanted to share this with you all here.

This is a project log, so it will be a copy  and past job as it is going on different PC modding forums.

I hope you enjoy! Any feedback and/or questions are greatly appreciated.

Its time for me to begin another project. I am very excited for the next installment in the Fallout series. Fallout has been one of my favourite single player game franchises for a long while, next to BioShock. I have had the idea for a while of building a Fallout themed watercooled PC. With the announcement trailer and game-play videos of Fallout 4, the idea of a Vault 111 themed rig came about. The idea behind this project is to make a PC that has been sitting in the vault research facility or overseers office for while and has been upgraded overtime with scavenged parts from inside the vault and out in the wasteland; this idea will allow me to use a mixture of different components, fittings, sleeving styles and weather/ distress different components and watercooling parts to fit in with this idea. Having rusted radiators, add on case panels and sleeving will be really cool, as if a previous item or part had broken down and a new one was scavenged and replaced.

The case I will be using is something I've not seen many / if any watercooling projects with, the Phanteks Mini XL. Its a rather interesting case, allowing for a M-ATX build with a ton of room for radiator space and watercooling gear, or having an ITX  and M-ATX system in the same case; I will be going for an M-ATX build with lots of watercooling options. The case is made of steel, one of the main criteria for the build and imperative for the weathering/ distressing I have in mind. I first saw a Phanteks case at Overclockers UK and I was blown away by the build quality, accessories and options for watercooling support. Thanks to Chris for pointing them out to me! The case is pretty uncommon and again, the unusual styling will, I feel fit in with the overall premise behind the build.

I am still unsure of the other main components going in the build in regards to the CPU, board and GPU, I know for certain I will be going for a full loop with the CPU and GPU blocked up. I may wait and see whats going to be released by Intel for their next CPU iteration.

I plan to have the build done by the time Fallout 4 comes out and just in time for iSeries in December.

The first batch of updates will generally be the weathering and distressing of the case and some modding of the side panels and interior.

I will be updating the OP with a list of components when I have more fleshed out, same for watercooling gear.

Any sponsors or supports to the project will also be added here.

Right, lets get on with the build log with some of the work I have done so far. I will be taking lots of photos as I am mega excited for this build!

I did take some pics of the case, but they were corrupted after exporting the RAW files into Lightroom! D'oh!

The first job was to disassemble the case and figure out which parts were metal and which were aluminium. Most of the steel parts will be sanded down, either in patches or in full and weathered.

The top panel is completely removable and every part can be unscrewed,  so epic that Phanteks do this, ideal if you want to paint the case or do some serious modding!

I sanded the top down with some 160 Grit paper, down to the raw aluminium and applied tape to the areas I didn't want to get hit by spray paint when applying the safety stripes.

Getting a perfect finish on the paint is not important. Flawlessly finished paint with a nice lacquer applied, simply will not work on this build!

Skipping forward 24 hours, the top layer of black spray was applied, the grill removed, sanded down to the bare steel and dipped in a solution of salt and water to encourage rust to develop. I was shocked when I came back into the workshop the next morning to find 5 years worth of rust in one night! Salt water rocks when rusting!

To add a little more, subtle staining, I used some Warhammer/ Citadel paint (Nuln Oil) to add some nasty streaks onto the top

This weathering will be subtle, as further staining will be adding down the line.

The top, side and bottom grills, which covered any intakes and pop out fan filters were removed, sanded and rusted with the salt water solution.

The weathering came out amazing, I'm so happy with it. Some parts came out subtle whilst others came out really rusty, just as I'd hoped.

Next up was the side panel. I continued the safety style stripes down on the side panel and began the weathering by sanding the paint down to allow some of the primer to show through. Additional deep scratches were added with the Dremel, files by running a screwdriver down the paint.

The front panel was a nightmare to get the powder coating off, testament to the quality of the finish by Phanteks. After using sandpaper for while, I looked around for a sander, but we didn't have one in the workshop, I though I did, my sisters boyfriend had one and it made the job so much easier.

The side panel was going to have a new window installed. The frosted acrylic side is just not for me, I prefer clear. I broke the dremel out again to remove the tabs.

I used a large file to remove any slight bumps and then used a de-burring tool to remove any nasty sharp edges, these things are amazingly, super-epic and awesome.

I did not protect the side panel whilst doing this, any metal flash or  dust would scratch the panel when I chopped off the tabs, adding to the damage, perfect.

Quick and dirty chop up of some clear acrylic and the new window was sorted.

Next, I drilled the holes for the side panel.

Then the acrylic for the window was installed. I used some sockets, washers and nuts to affix the window. Big chunky sockets and washers will fit in with the aesthetic perfectly. I sanded the washers and bolts to remove the surface galvanizing to allow them to be weathered down the line.

I had some ideas for the front panel, but I didn't know how to go about them. I could have got some insignia laser cut, but it would be too clean. After a little reflection, I did have some stickers for the build made up by my next door neighbor Andy.

I decided to go for a cut out, illuminated front panel with 'VAULT 111' dremeled out.

To get round the tiny edges and corners, I spent a few minutes in grinding a wheel down, super small to get into the hard to reach areas.

Super happy with the outcome. I dinked some of the corners, added some scratches with the sandpaper and some needle point files.

Mounted on the front, I was surprised how good it looked done by hand. It did take about 1 hour from start to finished, but I was pleased.

Some spare smoked acrylic came in handy from the side panel for the illumination of the front. The acrylic was sandwiched between the grill and front panel, the LED strips were applied to the grill with 3M  double sided mounting tape.

Originally, I went for 2 small white LED strips, but it just wasn't bright enough or striking enough, so I replaced them with some more powerful blue strips, I also made them slightly longer for better 'lumination.

That is basically all the work I have completed so far. Let me know what you think, I am always open to suggestions and changes. Obviously Fallout universe is set where the use of the silicon chip had never taken off, even though its set in the future and the course of events of history took a different arc, so all the gear we currently use in our PCs would not exist, but the build has to incorporate modern components,  with a twist.

I have also made a Fallout inspired 60% keyboard to accompany the build, as well as some bottlecaps, more to come with these, I will be doing some Quantum and Victory caps, as well as some Sasparilla caps too! :)

Additional pics here:- http://imgur.com/a/tEi8N

Thanks so much for stopping by. As above, appreciate any feedback and suggestions! Until the next update. Pexon out!
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 November 2015, 16:59:18 by pexon »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: Vault 111 by PEXON. A Fallout 4 themed PC
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 16:51:54 »
So glad you are posting this here. Was watching the mini updates on instagram and hoped you would. Awesome ****!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 16:55:02 »
Thanks! :D I am really happy with the outcome so far. I will be posting the full build log on here too, its one of my more frequented forums and I thought it would be nice to share as I don't see many build logs on GH. Just hope its in the right section?! MODS?!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 16:57:19 »
Holy **** that's impressive
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 16:58:51 »
The entire thing is absolutely beautiful. Solid work! The caps in particular stand out to me. They're really well done.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 17:02:01 »
Holy **** dude. That is awesome. Those Facebook teaser photos sure piqued my interest!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 17:05:46 »
Damn. This is flat out amazing.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 17:16:38 »
Thanks! :D I am really happy with the outcome so far. I will be posting the full build log on here too, its one of my more frequented forums and I thought it would be nice to share as I don't see many build logs on GH. Just hope its in the right section?! MODS?!

Def post the full build log here, please! This could have gone in MST or here... either way I know it'll get the attention it deserves.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 17:17:49 »
Oh wow  dudes, I was not expecting such a response! Thanks so much for all the kind comments.

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 20:26:19 »
Very nice

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 July 2015, 21:43:25 »
Wow. To take something beautiful and destroy it so as to turn it into something amazing. That is skill. Thanks for sharing this!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 02:11:38 »
BEautiful.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 02:31:01 »
~ W O W ~

Well done Pexon!

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 02:57:54 »
Cheers guys.

I will be getting some more photos sorted out this weekend-ish, once I get the rear side panel finished, then the case will be pretty much sorted out, then onto the internals and watercooling  :thumb:

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 03:14:14 »
Looks awesome!!

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 04:03:21 »
Holy ****. That is magnificent, very impressive work Pexon.  :)

Offline osi

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 10:53:09 »
Very cool

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 16:37:38 »
This is truely bizarre - why start with a new case if you want one that looks old?  Surely a veteran of many trips to faraway LANs would have done...

Can't argue with the results though, it looks great!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 17:50:09 »
Hey guys, back with some more pics. This is the current state of the case, nearly complete, I just need to finish some of the weathering and decide what to do with the rear side panel. I am also going to be adding some stenciling, stickers and decals on the window and the rear side panel i think .

Thanks for looking!

Offline wlhlm

• ~
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 18:09:32 »
Brilliant work pexon! Really impressive! :eek:

Glad you posted it here, I wouldn't have caught it otherwise.

What did you use to stain the front panel?

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 18:38:18 »
No worries, I am going to be sharing more of my PC modding work on here I think, as before, not something I see on here, but it goes hand in hand.

I used a strong coffee solution and a large-ish  paint brush to drop it down. I blobbed large puddles and tapped the case to let it bead down. Citadel/warhammer paint is also used afterwards,  just to give it another dimension.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 21:26:42 »
Well this mod is looking amazing!!! Can't wait to see more of your work.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 16 July 2015, 04:51:16 »
Thanks Og@n <3 Just trying to figure out what to do on the rear side panel

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 July 2015, 15:38:05 »
Hey guys!

Time for another update, albeit a small one. I did hint that I had been working on some ideas for the cables. I have used Teleios sleeving in Mid blue and Yellow and had a play about with some distressing ideas.

I have used a solution of strong coffee to stain the sleeving. First outcome was very successful. The coffee/ heat made some of the dye in the plastic material to leach out and the overall colour of the sleeving was dulled down, perfect! I have also burnt some of the sleeving away using a jet lighter and used some dye, ink and sharpie pen to mark some of the spots and burns to add some texture. Clear shrink is a nice idea as I can put some coffee underneath it before shrinking, for even more gnar.

The photos were quickly snapped with my Note 4 so the quality isn't great!

On a side note, I have started to spray the panels and case with laquer to protect and ensure the weathering done so far will stay put!

Thanks for looking :)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 08:36:32 »
Really loving this! I followed all the updates on Instagram! How much time has been put into building this so far?

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 16:44:12 »
About 10 nights after work man. So about 40 hours or so?

Hey guys. Time for another update. I managed to have a little play about this evening after some food and finishing up in the workshop.

Just got in and imported these pics. I had a go at messing up the acrylic on the side panel. I used a few methods to weather and create the damage. First off, I drilled out some random holes on the acrylic, a hammer was used to smash out the gaps in between the drills holes, this worked pretty damn well. There were some random cracks and even some parts of the acrylic that just came clean off.

I used a dremel to add some more cracks and dinks. I applied some solder cleaner/ IPA and lit aflame, this just smoothed over some of the sharp edges and the heat warped the panel a little bit. Nice!

I also managed to whip up a small LED strip to go along the bottom of the case to illuminate the panel. I may change the lighting in the case as you can see the strip if you look down on the case and into the main chamber, its just distracting, perhaps I can find a way to refract the light a little more.

Thanks for looking! :D

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:00:58 »
Love the cracks on the side, looks very nice.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 17:03:26 »
Thanks Az, was a bit of thinking, brute force and luck on that tbh.  :p

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 21:55:45 »
Really loving it Pexon!

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 03:50:51 »
Thanks so much! I'm over the moon with the progress so far :D

Offline Belfong

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 05:28:28 »
Those cracks served as additional ventilation. Brilliant!

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 22 July 2015, 05:38:16 »
Hahah! Yea man! :D Going to be a nightmare to keep the dust out though  :blank:

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 17:35:19 »
Hey guys, I'm back with another update.

I am very happy to say that I have my first sponsor for this build, Overclockers! They have very kindly supplied with a Super Flower Leadex 1000W Gold PSU. I have worked with Overclockers on various project utilizing these PSUs and they are truly epic units. The build quality is awesome, they are quiet and easy to make cables for. Just go and look at any review for these PSUs and you will see how well they fair! 

I was after a Leadex PSU for one reason, the fact that they have universal connectors for EPS, PCI, Molex and SATA, this means I can switch and swap the positining of connectors and not have to worry about the lengths. If I need to, I can do all the cables for the GPU and EPS connectors off just 2 PSU connectors, meaning I can run the pump, fans etc straight from the PSU, no need for Molex male and females, adapters and so on.

Thanks again to Mark, Steven and Chris at Overclockers!

www.overclockers.co.uk

Here are some pics of the beaut!

I didn't waste much time on getting some cables made up! A simple Molex cable in a chain of 3 to power all the LED strips in the case

Got the cables and strips sleeved and terminated in the top left of the case.

Worked a treat!

I did actually remove the bottom LED strip and make a new one. The original one was stuck on the floor of the case, I actually installed the new one on the lip of the case, where the side panel goes on, so it cannot be seen, the glow is a little more subtle too.

Thats it for this update, I am so happy I got the PSU, now I can work on cables, even after I finished working on them for customers all day lol! :D

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 17:57:14 »
Pexon this is awesome :o
Can't wait to see all the cables inside.
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 23 July 2015, 20:24:35 »
That's a gorgeous PSU! Loving the build man, really great!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 02:44:10 »
Those cracks and holes in the perspex are ****ing awesome man, and I'm glad Overclockers have given you a kick back as well :)

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 03:55:19 »
Thanks so much guys! :D

I've worked with Overclockers a fair bit and used their SuperFlower PSUs, they are epic units! Gonna see if I can get some cable work done on the weekend, will start with all the fans first.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 04:39:08 »
Looks very good, I enjoyed looking through the pics so far! The only thing I would like more is yellow light instead of the blue light!
... ...

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 05:42:11 »
I was contemplating yellow light, I'm still not sure yet. Green would be nice and sickly, so would yellow. I personally like the blue, white would be a big no-no. I don't get many orders for yellow LEDs so I don't have any at the moment.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 08:53:04 »
To me, Fallout has always had a green hue about it, so I think green would work. Although I don't dislike the blue.

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 16:17:36 »
Well.. no response from either of the places I contact in regards to the brass plaque :(

Anyway, small update ahoy!

My toggle switch came in. It looks proper awesome! It came with a fighter pilot style missle switch, as well as an old school on/off faschia.

I also thought the front 5.25" bays would be a great place for one of the Vault 111 vinyl stickers.

and after some nice weathering...

Shame the font is not quite there to fit in with the style, its more Bioshock styled

I, personally prefer the fighter pilot style switch, so I weathered that first.

I also managed to get a plaque for the window side panel sorted out. There was a spare piece of steel that came off one of the panels of the case, I think it could have been on the front, but I have no idea, there is so much to the case!

I sanded the powder coating off and using a 9v battery, 2 wires (9v and ground), dipped the ground into a salt water solution and a cotton bud and starting randomly etching into the steel. There was some sweet grime coming off and after about 20 minutes, I got something I was happy with.

The vinyl stickers were applied before the etching and weathered once I was finished.

The white spots are from some 3M spray on contact adhesive which  was then light aflame using a Turbo lighter to create the burn marks and add some more gnar to the look of the plaque.

I used the same lighter to take off some of the shine of the vinyl sticker, I deliberately went too far on some of the edges, randomly to ensure a natural, weathered look!

Thanks for stopping by. I also got some work on wiring the bottom 4 fans too, will update tomorrow!

Cheers,

James

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 16:23:49 »
Definitley made the right choice on the switch  :thumb:

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 16:26:44 »
It looks so cool man, I do have one more coming in tomorrow. A yellow LED one with a clear switch, could look hella dope. I  like the idea of having some yellow to contrast the blue LEDs with the small accesories.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 19:44:58 »
This just keeps getting better and better!

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 28 July 2015, 21:49:45 »
Best PC ever!

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 03:10:07 »
Thanks so much dudes! I am sooooooo happy with how the etching came out

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 03:57:01 »
Damn son that **** is ballin

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 04:09:18 »
Balllinnn'! Cheers brudda! :D

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 17:27:50 »
Hey guys, time for another update.

First off, I managed to find another vinyl sticker I got made up and never found a use for...

Weathered up with sand paper, lighter  and some ink

Next up I manged to get another toggle fighter pilot style switch in. This one will just be for decoration

Soldered the wires up, so the LED can  be wired up to a 9v battery.

Next up, time for cables! :D

Double wires and jumpers on the cables will be done with clear  shrink and ink for weathering

BOOM!

All working first time with everything but the -5v lit (20th pin, not used on any PSUs anymore), so all good here :)

Now....  bare with me, I went a little overboard with the weathering on the cables .....

I used some electrical tape on the 2nd wire that took more weathering than the other wires, to make it look like someone has tried to repair the loom.

If its too OTT, I can easily change it... some  feedback would be great!

As always, thanks for stopping by!

James

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 30 July 2015, 18:05:21 »
Awesome dude. Just awesome. The weathering on the stickers and the cables is just perfect.

So, how much was I buying this off you for again?  :p