Author Topic: Non-QWERTY iPhone/iPad layouts  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Snarfangel

Non-QWERTY iPhone/iPad layouts
« on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 09:30:17 »
I'm not sure if this goes here (feel free to move this to the appropriate section), but is there an easy way to modify the QWERTY layout on an iPhone 5S and an iPad mini? I see apps for Dvorak and Colemak, but it's kind of silly to buy something that should be part of the OS, and I would like to try KALQ and other formats (including my own).

Offline naz

Re: Non-QWERTY iPhone/iPad layouts
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 07:40:45 »
I remember reading a post from the creator of Colemak where he recomended stick with qwerty on phones. Here it is:

Colemak isn't recommended for smartphones as it increases finger travel and error rate compared to QWERTY. On smartphones I would recommend gesture typing (e.g. Google Keyboard/Swype/Word Flow) on a QWERTY layout.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2015, 07:42:48 by naz »

Offline nomaded

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 01:23:14 »
I tried using a Dvorak layout with nintype for a little while, but it doesn't really work, because nintype is designed as a dual peck-and-swipe keyboard. With vowels on the other half of the screen from the most common consonants, the swiping part doesn't work anymore. I switched back to Qwerty. I didn't try Colemak to see if was any better.

I don't know if any other 3rd party keyboard supports alternate layouts.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline MajorMajor

• Mechanical Keyboard Enthusiast
    • Coding Supply
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 08:01:03 »
I use SwiftKey (on an Android device, though it is available on Apple products too) and it has alternative layouts available.
TKL / Clears / Dvorak / Flipped Space for Life / Best Programming Keyboards