Author Topic: How to check which keycaps fit my keyboard?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline lamar4

How to check which keycaps fit my keyboard?
« on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 08:11:31 »
Hi I’m fairly new to the custom keeb world so can anyone help me by telling how do you guys check which set of keycaps are compatible with which keyboards? Is there a cheat sheet lol? Or is it just something which you learn with experience? For instance I have RK84 and was looking to buy the hyperx double shot PBT keycaps on sale from Amazon but someone said they they don’t work with my keyboard. So do I look for something specific when buying keycaps for Rk?

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
Re: How to check which keycaps fit my keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 October 2023, 08:34:00 »
MOST of the time it just depends on the shape of the stem. like if u take a cap off ur board it'll look like a little cross and thats MX mount (the most common type) if the LEDs are facing north (relative to the keyboard) then some cherry profile keycaps will interfere and will not fit. theres also different layouts and sizes so you have to make sure the kit you want has the right keycaps for your keyboard (obviously the legends dont have to match, but you need the right size for keys like tab, ctrl, space etc)

P.S. most people wouldnt recommend those HyperX keycaps anyways
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
Re: How to check which keycaps fit my keyboard?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 October 2023, 21:16:45 »
It could be layout issues, RK84 isn't full size ansi so the kitting won't be compatible I'm pretty sure. Just double check though.

its something you just gotta check for your keyboard when you are looking for caps.