Author Topic: [IC] Drink Me - All invoices sent  (Read 20552 times)

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
[IC] Drink Me - All invoices sent
« on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 16:03:47 »
Drink Me - 4% ergo

This thread is now locked. Please see the Group Buy thread

Form - Photo Gallery

However, this bottle was not marked ‘poison,’ so Alice ventured to taste it... ‘What a curious feeling!’ said Alice; ‘I must be shutting up like a telescope.’

Drink Me is a 4% ergo 3D-printed macropad.

The project started as a taster for friends who are getting interested in mechanical keyboards; something inexpensive that would allow them to experiment with customising keymaps, try out different keycaps and switches (its hotswap), and take it apart to see how the components fit together.

The design is a lighthearted homage to the many semi-angled ergonomic keyboard designs emerging in the community in recent times, such as the Lyn EM.7, TGR Alice, and Prime_e. I was really fascinated how the design decision of rotating the inner sections of keys made such a bold statement, and was curious to see what this gesture would look like in its absolute minimal case, so here it is: 4% ergo ;)

The goal was to produce a pleasing artefact that celebrates a popular form, while being capable of all the programmability and customization that excite us as enthusiasts, and staying accessible to newcomers. Drink Me is a fun and functional macropad; an ideal gift or conversation piece for coaxing friends, family and coworkers to follow you down the rabbit hole.

Following a successful interest check, I am pleased to announce the group buy for this project will open on March 5th 2020.

Specifications

Alice thought the whole thing very absurd, but they all looked so grave that she did not dare to laugh

• Core Features:
    • 4-key
    • MX-compatible Kailh hotswap sockets
    • 8° typing angle
    • 15° ergonomic angle
    • Integrated plate
    • High-profile
    • Open-back design
    • 3D-printed case
    • QMK & VIA compatible
    • Atmega32u2 chip
    • Black PCB
  • Options:
    • USB C, USB Mini, or USB Micro
    • Seven case colours available (see below)
  • Extras, at additional cost:
    • Thumb rest with integrated base and bump-ons
    • Furnished with switches and keycaps: Linear, Tactile, or Clicky Gateron switches with Black or Clear DSA keycaps
  • Sale:
    • $45 including free worldwide shipping
    • First-come, first-served
    • Limited units

Colours and Materials

“And what are they made of?” Alice asked in a tone of great curiosity.

Production & Timeline

‘Well, I don’t want any to-day, at any rate.’

‘You couldn’t have it if you did want it,’ the Queen said. ‘The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday—but never jam to-day.’

Production and assembly will be conducted from my studio in Madrid, Spain.

All components are readily available, and normally ship withing two weeks. I would estimate being able to produce around 10 units per week and will ship completed units in batches.

Delays are possible due to the ongoing coronavirus situation. I will be posting weekly progress updates to this thread.

Thanks for reading :)

‘It was much pleasanter at home,’ thought poor Alice, ‘when one wasn’t always growing larger and smaller... I almost wish I hadn’t gone down that rabbit-hole

Yatara
Reddit: u/yatara-cc
Instagram: @yatara.keys

If you would like to support this project, please consider adding one of the following banners to your signature:

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104449.0][img width=360 height=120]https://imgur.com/hFrJddY.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104449.0][img width=360 height=120]https://imgur.com/bu5VEc2.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104449.0][img width=360 height=120]https://imgur.com/q2d6OHd.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 March 2020, 11:38:03 by Yatara »

Offline mrpetrov

Re: [IC] Drink Me - 4% ergo
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 16:06:11 »
amazing.

cancelling my tengu for this instead.

Offline firetruckboy

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 16:13:27 »
This layout is too big. Where's my 2% alice layout board?

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 16:24:29 »
you are a poet and a scholar

Offline vaughno

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 16:32:37 »
In!!
Unikorn | Orion v3 | GSKT-00

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 16:55:13 »
K' I'll drink the cool aid! :p

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 17:30:07 »
Will there be a half plate option?
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline dantambok

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 21:01:57 »
that wristrest is fire!!
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline chanchan

• atxkb
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 00:56:14 »
perfection

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 03:01:10 »
I have to have one.

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 03:23:18 »
This is great.

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 04:53:00 »
I need this to go alongside my iSO.

Offline demonahz

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 09:34:43 »
I would get it, 100% sure, if it was aluminum or some other. not 3d printed tho :(

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 10:11:37 »
Finally my perfect OSU companion!

I'm IN!

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 12:42:21 »
no idea what i would do with it but feel it must be on my desk!

Offline wencan008

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 01:23:21 »
If this was aluminum and polycarb I'd be in without a doubt, still probably in even though it's 3d printed. Are there any other finish options/smaller layer lines?

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 01:51:13 »
If this was aluminum and polycarb I'd be in without a doubt, still probably in even though it's 3d printed. Are there any other finish options/smaller layer lines?

I would definitely like to see this stay below $100 USD, but I would also pay a bit more for other/higher quality finishing. Any chance of using a higher resolution 3D printer than the one used for the prototype in the photos?

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 03:28:24 »
Thanks to all who filled out the interest check form! The replies were abundant, informative and encouraging.

Drink Me has now been accepted into the QMK repository with six preset keymaps. I extend my profound gratitude to all who have contributed to the code and communities of TMK, QMK, and VIA; they are great tools and the process of adding a new board was rapid and pain-free.

Regarding requests for other materials, finer-pitch 3D printing, or USB-C. I appreciate the desire for these features, and I will be researching the viability of each of them. That said, I'd also like to make clear my priorities and the criteria by which viability will be judged. This is my first keyboard group buy and I am keen to keep things focused and straightforward. The initial specification was targeted to materials and components that I have experience with and that I can very confidently deliver. Further, it is really important to me to keep the offering economical; I would really like this board to be an affordable option as a gift.

« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 03:56:57 by Yatara »

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:03:03 »
Regarding requests for other materials, finer-pitch 3D printing, or USB-C. I appreciate the desire for these features, and I will be researching the viability of each of them. That said, I'd also like to make clear my priorities and the criteria by which viability will be judged. This is my first keyboard group buy and I am keen to keep things focused and straightforward. The initial specification was targeted to materials and components that I have experience with and that I can very confidently deliver. Further, it is really important to me to keep the offering economical; I would really like this board to be an affordable option as a gift.

That's fair. I'm super excited for this, and I'm not even an ergo person. Any improvements to build quality would obviously be welcome and appreciated, but I'm in regardless of the details.

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 13:37:14 »
Thanks, that's great to hear. I should state that the use of the term “ergo” here is definitely somewhat tongue-in-cheek  ;) That said, I'm taking the project itself very seriously and I'm really striving to produce something that will delight people.

Offline whomad1215

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 14:01:31 »
QWOP macro pad

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 03:44:45 »
Thanks, that's great to hear. I should state that the use of the term “ergo” here is definitely somewhat tongue-in-cheek  ;) That said, I'm taking the project itself very seriously and I'm really striving to produce something that will delight people.

Haha yes obviously this isn't really an ergo board considering the size. I just love it because it's so funny.

Offline EMC Labs

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 05:29:47 »
$45? Wow, okay.  :(

edit: sorry im broke

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 16:32:17 »
Drink Me has now been accepted into the VIA keyboards repository (thanks Olivia!) and is confirmed working with the latest release of VIA.

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 19:17:14 »
Drink Me has now been accepted into the VIA keyboards repository (thanks Olivia!) and is confirmed working with the latest release of VIA.

Show Image

Bless. VIA is incredible. Can’t wait for this lil guy.

Offline SlipperyPeteED

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 10:07:40 »
I love this, but I am curious if you will be releasing the files for this. Obviously you are under no obligation to do so, but many of us happen to own 3D printers and I think it would be cool to see what can be done with the files in terms of different filament types.

Regardless this is awesome and adorable! GL!

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 11:26:52 »
Thanks!

Right now all my focus is on preparing for producing this myself at scale - the PCB is still being revised and I'm tweaking the model all the time to micro-tune it specifically for getting reliable and efficient results from my particular printer and slicer. But it is all designed in OpenSCAD & KiCAD, under version control, and a lot of things are parameterised ready for alternative setups in the future. When I've happily got production underway and can rule out any breaking changes I would like to document it properly for a v1.0 release, yes.

I was considering offering a PCB-only option for the group buy, but as I said in a previous comment, this is my first group buy and I think it makes sense for me to keep things as simple as possible this time.

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 02 February 2020, 16:16:14 »
Thanks!

Right now all my focus is on preparing for producing this myself at scale - the PCB is still being revised and I'm tweaking the model all the time to micro-tune it specifically for getting reliable and efficient results from my particular printer and slicer. But it is all designed in OpenSCAD & KiCAD, under version control, and a lot of things are parameterised ready for alternative setups in the future. When I've happily got production underway and can rule out any breaking changes I would like to document it properly for a v1.0 release, yes.

I was considering offering a PCB-only option for the group buy, but as I said in a previous comment, this is my first group buy and I think it makes sense for me to keep things as simple as possible this time.

That’s fair. I might buy a second to just use the pcb and experiment with the case. $45 isn’t the end of the world to buy the whole kit for the pcb. Doing a second pcb only kit would definitely complicate things for you and potentially cannibalize sales of the main kit. Thanks for doing all this; it’s going to be super cool.

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 14:25:15 »
Drink Me has now been added to QMK Configurator. Thanks to all involved in administering that repository.

Production is underway on the next revision of the prototype PCB (following IC feedback) and will hopefully ship soon. As soon as I've received and verified them I'll be setting a date for the group buy.

Offline silverword111

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 16:36:47 »
Not aluminum for 45$????? Disappointed

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 20:08:05 »
Not aluminum for 45$????? Disappointed

Is this a joke? $45 is totally reasonable. Small batch production with partial hand assembly, VIA configuration, and hot swap sockets. Not to mention the cost of time for design, prototyping, and fulfillment.

Offline TameFlame

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 17:35:31 »
I'm into this! Filled out the form, hope this goes into production sometime

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 14:29:55 »
The “Drink Me” interest check received a very healthy number of responses. The most startling revelation what that when asked whether they preferred USB Micro or USB Mini, respondents found almost 80 different ways of saying “USB-C or GTFO”:

I hadn't planned on offering USB-C, but after the overwhelming demand I ordered some connectors and revised versions of the PCB to test whether I was comfortable assembling them. These arrived today and following several tests I am very happy with the components. So I can confirm that I will be offering all three options for USB, Mini, Micro, and Type-C, when the group buy goes live very soon.

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 19 February 2020, 15:38:25 »
The “Drink Me” interest check received a very healthy number of responses. The most startling revelation what that when asked whether they preferred USB Micro or USB Mini, respondents found almost 80 different ways of saying “USB-C or GTFO”:

Show Image

I hadn't planned on offering USB-C, but after the overwhelming demand I ordered some connectors and revised versions of the PCB to test whether I was comfortable assembling them. These arrived today and following several tests I am very happy with the components. So I can confirm that I will be offering all three options for USB, Mini, Micro, and Type-C, when the group buy goes live very soon.

Show Image

YESSSSSSS God bless  :thumb:

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
Re: [IC] Drink Me - 4% ergo - Now with USB-C
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 06:08:34 »
Here's a photo of the assembled PCBs:

It was interesting to try different coloured PCBs for each USB connector, but after assembling all of them it is clear that the finish on the black FR4 is significantly nicer than the others. It is noticeably more opaque, more matte, and doesn't discolour when heated (unlike the white, which yellows a little). So I will be producing the final boards in black for all USB connectors.

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 06:13:27 »
Close up of the different PCB materials:

Offline factoryofidols

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 10:29:45 »
I need this real bad

Edit: if you decide to offer pcb only and post the STL files those of us with 3D printers would appreciate it. Then we could change case color on a whim. 
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 February 2020, 10:36:38 by factoryofidols »

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 11:06:02 »
if you decide to offer pcb only and post the STL files those of us with 3D printers would appreciate it.

I will not be offering PCBs separately for this group buy just because I want to keep the administration as simple as possible this time. But I will be ordering extras for contingency and if there are spares I could make them available after all orders have shipped. Also later if there is demand for a further round I'd be more comfortable adding a PCB only option.

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 12:35:00 »
Close up of the different PCB materials:

Show Image

Oh yeah it's definitely all about the black. The blue and white are fine, but I agree that the black looks significantly better.

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 12:35:47 »
if you decide to offer pcb only and post the STL files those of us with 3D printers would appreciate it.

I will not be offering PCBs separately for this group buy just because I want to keep the administration as simple as possible this time. But I will be ordering extras for contingency and if there are spares I could make them available after all orders have shipped. Also later if there is demand for a further round I'd be more comfortable adding a PCB only option.

I look forward to that potential second round

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 06:12:08 »
I learnt two new four-letter words very soon after first announcing this project: “OSU!” and “QWOP”. And with the best interests of the IC respondents at heart, I set about investigating these perplexing terms that had the whiff of custom keymaps about them.

Many virtual bruised knees later I can safely say that the charm of QWOP has thoroughly won me over, even if I won't be ascending a podium any time soon.

An initial keymap could not have been more obvious. However, after each humiliating tumble our long-suffering athlete must press the spacebar to begin his struggle anew. Thankfully, with the power of QMK's combo feature we may offer him the shortcut of tapping all four physical keys simultaneously to synthesise a spacebar press. Since in-game this would be equivalent to some sort of undesired muscle spasm we can do so without interfering with his progress. Once again, hats off to QMK's development team.

Next on the to do list is to enter the bewildering carnival of lights and sounds that is OSU! far enough to be able to create a functional keymap for that too. I have no idea what I'm doing but I'll do my best. Wish me luck.

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 08:45:05 »
Final case & base colour options have been decided. Here they are!

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
Re: [IC] Drink Me - 4% ergo - $45 shipped - GB starts March 5th 2020
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 15:03:33 »
oOo Magenta looks rather promising. Nice color selection

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 15:13:55 »
The “Drink Me” Group Buy is now scheduled for March 5th 2020, at 12:00 noon Pacific Time.

Final pricing, options and extras have all been decided. See the first post in the thread for the most current information.

If you would like to support this project, please consider adding one of the following banners to your signature:

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104449.0][img width=360 height=120]https://imgur.com/hFrJddY.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104449.0][img width=360 height=120]https://imgur.com/bu5VEc2.png[/img][/url]

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=104449.0][img width=360 height=120]https://imgur.com/q2d6OHd.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2020, 10:47:48 by Yatara »

Offline Shutter_Shock

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 16:21:43 »
Can’t wait! Any idea how many units the group buy will be limited to? / Is there a limit to how many units per person?

Offline wencan008

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 16:36:52 »
Any chance you have more pictures/renders of different color combinations? I can't decide what I like most

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 17:38:36 »
Hey that's my B-day! Hopefully I can nab one, would be an awesome gift to myself!

Offline wencan008

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 23:08:19 »
Hey that's my B-day! Hopefully I can nab one, would be an awesome gift to myself!

Hold up are you me? Same birthday and also in Pittsburgh

Offline Yatara

• Instagram @yatara.keys
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 03:46:21 »
@Shutter_Shock, I haven't done a final calculation yet, but there will be at least 40 units available.

@wencan008, I put all my favourite combinations in the photo gallery. Honestly the black and wood-effect thumb rests look great with any colour opaque case. I especially like the red or magenta case with the black rest, or the white or blue case with the wood-effect rest. The translucent pearl is a more difficult match with other colours. It's really aimed at those who want a fully translucent build - case, rest and switches, although actually it looks great paired with magenta.

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 26 February 2020, 10:26:23 »
I'm excited for this!

I'm looking at Magenta with translucent thumb rest, with clear keycaps I think it'll look really sick! I also want to make sure that the price doesn't matter what combination I choose?

I somehow glossed over the fact that this is a hotswap, which means it doesn't support in-switch LEDs, correct?

Edit: Also, how does this GB work, if it's not through a vendor? How do I reserve a spot on March 5th?
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 February 2020, 10:31:44 by valkyr1e »