Author Topic: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?  (Read 2763073 times)

Offline Man In Blue

• formery Sollace
  • Man In Blue#9548
Re: What Keyboard Are You Using Now?
« Reply #6550 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 16:09:04 »
Im getting the chance to break in a Realforce R2 TKL. Really enjoying it. Ill probably break it in for a month or 2, then lube her up and try to get my hands on a norbaforce. Really enjoying this board so far.
The Koreans did it all right ;)

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #6551 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 16:46:43 »

I would rather not modify an original F AT. It felt weird to me even just putting box jades into a Unitek K-151L. I have at least one of Ellipse's new ones on order though (for now). Do you have an F-122? They're easier to adapt without breaking out power tools.
I do have an F122, and I ANSI modded that. I use an Orihalcon Soarer's converter cable with it, so I do have a key mapped to Windows, and that helps a lot. I personally don't think it's an issue modding old keyboards. From my perspective they are primarily a tool, not a collector's item, so it makes sense to modify them to best work for that purpose.

I haven't ordered an Ellipse reproduction. Those are not quite TKL form factor either, so I think I'll be just as happy with a modded F AT. Of course I will use a soarer's cable with it as well to have Windows key and extra ANSI keys mapped.

The ultimate capacitive buckling spring keyboard for me would be the MF/Mara, but I despair of it ever being completed.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6552 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 13:23:11 »
I do have an F122, and I ANSI modded that. I use an Orihalcon Soarer's converter cable with it, so I do have a key mapped to Windows, and that helps a lot. I personally don't think it's an issue modding old keyboards. From my perspective they are primarily a tool, not a collector's item, so it makes sense to modify them to best work for that purpose.

I haven't ordered an Ellipse reproduction. Those are not quite TKL form factor either, so I think I'll be just as happy with a modded F AT. Of course I will use a soarer's cable with it as well to have Windows key and extra ANSI keys mapped.

The ultimate capacitive buckling spring keyboard for me would be the MF/Mara, but I despair of it ever being completed.

Nice. I wouldn't mind doing the same with an F122. Even the F AT takes up a lot of desk space, space I already don't have enough of at work. I like the idea of a solid metal chassis too, and not having to worry about beating up an 80's relic.

Silo beam springs will happen at least.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6553 on: Sat, 15 February 2020, 15:26:59 »
235845-0
My test bed Klippe still as I'm trying to get the Chellows (Gat yellows with Cherry tops) I got in it broken in enough to go into my E6.5 since you can't open the switches with it's plate. Just gave it a change up to GMK Nines from Oblivion V2 today. Really digging how well Nines matches the gray Klippe color!
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 February 2020, 15:30:10 by Rob27shred »

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #6554 on: Mon, 24 February 2020, 00:23:31 »
Just finished putting together this board today and using it to type this:

236375-0

236377-1

Here are the specs:

• Klippe Case
  • Plain60-C PCB
  • Screw-In gold plated stabs
  • Aluminium Plate
  • Zilents 67g switches
  • Maxkey Leviathan keycaps

The Zilents’ stems are lubed with krytox 205 and the springs are lubed with krytox 105. The stabs are lubed with krytox 205 also and the band-aid mod is in place. There is a Sorbothane pad between the case and the PCB for extra dampenning. Very smooth, quiet, yet bumpy feel on the keys … I’m pretty proud of this build, if I do say so myself. One slight annoyance is that the stabs on the space bar hit slightly on the way back up … If anyone has any pointers it will be much appreciated. Perhaps more lube?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6555 on: Tue, 25 February 2020, 20:24:33 »
Right now I'm using a DSI 90 key modular mechanical keyboard. I do not like it very much. Planning to replace the switches with BOX clicky (started a thread to ask people about their favorite clickbar switches) and then will give it to my brother, who has never used a mechanical keyboard.
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline josefadamcik

• homepage / blog
« Reply #6556 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 05:36:33 »
SofleKeyboard - a modification of Lily58 I have designed (this is first build of first version).

236539-0

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6557 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 07:28:49 »
SofleKeyboard - a modification of Lily58 I have designed (this is first build of first version).

(Attachment Link)

Cool board.  :thumb:

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6558 on: Thu, 27 February 2020, 10:48:02 »

(Attachment Link)

Cool board.  :thumb:

Yup, looks very cool. GMK Oblivion is great for Split Ergo boards  :thumb:

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6559 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 17:25:32 »
Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid with MX Greens at the moment. Thinking of throwing my Hirose Oranges into it for the hell of it but we shall see.

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6560 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 21:56:35 »
Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid with MX Greens at the moment. Thinking of throwing my Hirose Oranges into it for the hell of it but we shall see.

Show Image

The date is February 28, 2020, and you are still using MX Greens instead of clickbar switches?  :'(

Offline typo

« Reply #6561 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 04:30:07 »
One of a kind 67 key Titanium case, brass plate Korean. Drop Halo True with Keycaps from 6 different Japanese vintage theme sets PBT Double shot thick. USB C with Red Kevlar cord. As usual would post pic if this site hosted.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6562 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 07:32:06 »

Show Image

The date is February 28, 2020, and you are still using MX Greens instead of clickbar switches?  :'(

Mx greens are my type

Offline walie

« Reply #6563 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 08:11:39 »
One of a kind 67 key Titanium case, brass plate Korean. Drop Halo True with Keycaps from 6 different Japanese vintage theme sets PBT Double shot thick. USB C with Red Kevlar cord. As usual would post pic if this site hosted.

Lol no you’re not

Offline bbqkimchi

« Reply #6564 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 13:49:49 »
236701-0

660M, unlubed 62g V2 Zealios, stock keycaps, clipped and lubed stabs, Zap cable. Thanks for looking :)

« Reply #6565 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 11:26:11 »
I'm using one of those colourful keyboards with the worst rubber domes made to teach autistic children typing.

Offline epicfacethe3rd

« Reply #6566 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 12:00:28 »
dell big-space rubber dome keyboard because my daily driver is drying out
I'm using one of those colourful keyboards with the worst rubber domes made to teach autistic children typing.

and i thought i had it bad
Teaching sand to think was a mistake
Wendel, Level1techs, 2020-02-04

Offline typo

« Reply #6567 on: Mon, 02 March 2020, 22:47:58 »
Walie, plant one right on the void of my tushy.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6568 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 04:27:42 »

Show Image

I mean this keyboard is like 7 years old and anyways, I'd rather be using Alps
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6569 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 08:44:36 »
HP SK with chiclet domes

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6570 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:27:16 »

Show Image

Another nicely modified board.

... it does.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6571 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:44:36 »

Show Image

I mean this keyboard is like 7 years old and anyways, I'd rather be using Alps

As long as you see the light :)

Offline typo

« Reply #6572 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 11:43:01 »
I just noticed after all of these years. TG3 keycaps are much smaller than standard keycaps such as DSA.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6573 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 12:48:39 »
I just noticed after all of these years. TG3 keycaps are much smaller than standard keycaps such as DSA.

Yup, not terrible caps though in my opinion, considering the surplus price of these boards.

When you click reply, immediately below the box where you input text to respond to someone, do you see the orange box with a white cross in it, with the orange text "Attachments and other options" immediately to the right of it?

That's how you attach images to posts without third party websites. Make sure that the text cursor is where you want the image in the message, browse for the file and choose in the drop-down menu how you want that image to be displayed.

Offline typo

« Reply #6574 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 19:54:03 »
My Keyboard.

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2020, 22:20:00 by typo »

Offline Shikada

« Reply #6575 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 08:08:16 »
Is this some very high level or very low level trolling? I can't tell.

Offline diymkb

« Reply #6576 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 09:49:29 »
Is this some very high level or very low level trolling? I can't tell.

It looks like the KBD67v2 MKII (or older version) or the Drop ALT high profile viewed from the top.

EDIT: Uploaded picture has been changed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 March 2020, 15:50:55 by diymkb »

Offline typo

« Reply #6577 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 13:06:19 »
You guys are just incredible. You finally persuade me to post a pic here. Then you start saying it is not real. Figures. Envy. You people are so below me from now on I am just going to have fun toying with you. actually what it really is is a Anne 2. idiots.

Offline typo

« Reply #6578 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 14:16:11 »
You used your first post to mention that? plus you had to edit one line of text? The other poster has but 9 posts? Actually, I am not so insulted yet. Let Walie insult me please, That shall truly break my heart, Not to mention I had ben plugging this thread in other threads for 2 days prior and no one even commented on it. You two are lost? The Home button is in the top left hand corner. I suggest that you use it. Since the two of you obviously know nothing about keyboards. Hence, having all of 10 posts here between the two of you. I do not feel so bad yet.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6579 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 15:11:39 »
We bow to you supreme commander

Offline typo

« Reply #6580 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 20:13:17 »
I do not mean to be a jerk Blaise. Why do people attack me on here? I mean on his first post? Come on. Please give me a break. I never did anything to anyone. Granted, I am annoying. So is TP4 and no one gangs up on him. In fact, many people including myself respect him. What did I ever do to deserve this treatment? I really like it here but eventually you folks are going to cause me to leave. So, then yeah you all win. Good for you. The keyboard is as I said. A lot of boards look similar. They just named two they could not even make up their mind. Of which it is neither BTW. All I ask is for a select few to please stop hating on me. The only reason I just took a defensive stance. It is not against the elders here. Of which I am one of.

Offline walie

« Reply #6581 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 21:27:28 »
Never break Kayfabe

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6582 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 22:07:55 »
I do not mean to be a jerk Blaise. Why do people attack me on here? I mean on his first post? Come on. Please give me a break. I never did anything to anyone. Granted, I am annoying. So is TP4 and no one gangs up on him. In fact, many people including myself respect him. What did I ever do to deserve this treatment? I really like it here but eventually you folks are going to cause me to leave. So, then yeah you all win. Good for you. The keyboard is as I said. A lot of boards look similar. They just named two they could not even make up their mind. Of which it is neither BTW. All I ask is for a select few to please stop hating on me. The only reason I just took a defensive stance. It is not against the elders here. Of which I am one of.

@ typo,  Remain Calm.

PLENTY of people used 2 gang up on Tp4, they're dead now.. 

Don't take the internet so seriously, it's a place where people drink H8erade.

Offline typo

« Reply #6583 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 22:24:23 »
Wise words from a wise man. TP4, I liken you to Yoda but much better looking. If that is okay with you. You are a good guy. You always gave me a chance. You were always mature.

Walie, I think the point has been made tenfold by now. I shall never post a pic here again. Thank you come again.

Offline walie

« Reply #6584 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 07:00:23 »
Wise words from a wise man. TP4, I liken you to Yoda but much better looking. If that is okay with you. You are a good guy. You always gave me a chance. You were always mature.

Walie, I think the point has been made tenfold by now. I shall never post a pic here again. Thank you come again.

I think its for the best. It was pretty disappointing to see what your Korean custom turned out to be. Sometimes things are better left to the imagination.

Offline typo

« Reply #6585 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 21:18:50 »
I just noticed my Korean board has two different whites! a daylight white and a milky white. I had it on the daylight. I prefer the milky now. I figure any RGB board could do this.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6586 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 07:21:26 »
I just noticed my Korean board has two different whites! a daylight white and a milky white. I had it on the daylight. I prefer the milky now. I figure any RGB board could do this.

If you go and look at modern LED light bulbs, they'll describe them as different types of white. "soft" white vs "daylight", etc. You'll see the same in projector image settings. "Daylight" is supposed to be as close to a natural white as possible. "Soft" white is usually more like an old-school incandescent, with a bit of a yellow glow. A lot of times, they'll screw up daylight and go too far towards more of a blue tint. Any true RGB leds should definitely be able to run the gamut. I imagine the ones with separate red, green, and blue diodes might have trouble, even with a good diffuser.

That F77 I found on Ebay came in. Words cannot describe it. It does feel lighter than an original F, for some reason, maybe a difference in manufacture of the modern springs. It also, interestingly, feels a little less smooth than my F ATs and F XT, but maybe that's because of a lack of wear. Certainly still much smoother and consistent than any Model M I have felt. It took hours to get the flippers and springs configured right so as to not stick (I imagine that's why the seller gave up and sold it), but first impressions are that replacement of either should never be necessary, it just seems to take some tweaking. I'll probably go into detail on my thoughts in the official new Model F thread. Unicomp left out my second Geekhack key, not sure about keeping the eject key, and I have at least one random placeholder for now. I also plan do do an aviator connector mod, so it isn't ready for the spotlight yet anyway.

First impressions are great though. Most of the caps were pulled from a 1988 Model M, for now. The rest are Unicomp.

237747-0

« Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2020, 07:23:05 by Maledicted »

Offline typo

« Reply #6587 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 08:34:04 »
Congratulations! That is a Grail keyboard. I actually have a bunch of them from old office but they are completely trashed beyond repair. Like badly cracked cases ETC. I had computers back to Timex and Vic 20 but IBM XT was my first "real" computer. or Apple II maybe. Of course the latter had a built in keyboard. It was nice though. They do not build things like that any more.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6588 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 08:58:05 »
Congratulations! That is a Grail keyboard. I actually have a bunch of them from old office but they are completely trashed beyond repair. Like badly cracked cases ETC. I had computers back to Timex and Vic 20 but IBM XT was my first "real" computer. or Apple II maybe. Of course the latter had a built in keyboard. It was nice though. They do not build things like that any more.

Thank you very much. I don't know that I would call it a grail keyboard, since it is newly-manufactured. It is (currently) pretty rare, and in high demand, though.  Ellipse does build things like that still, even if the manufacture is in China now. The chassis on the new ones is even solid Zinc. IBM was apparently using some sort of low-quality alloy. What IBM 4704 keyboards have you got? I really want to get my hands on an F107. I imagine the cracks could be epoxied or something.

I hadn't even seen a Vic 20 in person until 2 or 3 months back at a recycling place. They had a TRS 80, Commodore 64, and others as well. A cool little hole-in-the-wall place in Slinger.

Offline typo

« Reply #6589 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 09:44:04 »
If you don't mind me asking, you are young? Since you say you have not seen that stuff. I am 73. I remember punch cards well. Do you know what those are?
Nah you don't want my boards. They are non functioning. I can only recycle so much at once. Law up in Milwaukee. Saving light stuff for last. I meant the originals. Not new Chinese. Even if they use better metal now. Go figure.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6590 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 10:51:59 »
If you don't mind me asking, you are young? Since you say you have not seen that stuff. I am 73. I remember punch cards well. Do you know what those are?
Nah you don't want my boards. They are non functioning. I can only recycle so much at once. Law up in Milwaukee. Saving light stuff for last. I meant the originals. Not new Chinese. Even if they use better metal now. Go figure.

I am 30. I know of punch cards, but I know of a lot of things some might assume that I would not.

I know what you mean. I don't care if they function. Have you got an F107 chassis that I could epoxy and sand? I know of someone selling the guts.

Offline typo

« Reply #6591 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 11:46:56 »
I will have too look through all of them overnight for you. This is stupid but does it say F107 on the tag on back? Otherwise I don't know. I just know what a model For M looks like. I think punch cards were just before you were born. No wait, way before you were born. That was like 1969. You must know because you read about them or someone told you. Even TRS80 is older than you! I had Apple I kit. No problem to get you keyboard if I have it. Same state.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6592 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 15:01:51 »
I research many things, and hear others. I know a guy that works in a recycling facility ... and who basically has an entire house full of hardware worthy of a museum. I sent you a PM about the F107, as that's a bit off-topic.

Offline gorauskas

« Reply #6593 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 22:37:35 »
Tokyo60 v3 with kailh box white and gmk space cadet

238074-0

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6594 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 08:12:52 »
Tokyo60 v3 with kailh box white and gmk space cadet

Looks great.  :thumb:

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #6595 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 12:31:53 »
Using a Tofu65 right now for the time being, waiting for my EO-87 and J-02 to come in! Just built a friends Orion v3 so I've been using that as well for the time being.

Offline Disciplexeon

« Reply #6596 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 18:41:06 »
I'm currently typing on my Akko 3068 Oceanstar SE with Cherry reds, and while I have never been a fan of cherry, the quality of the board and the keycaps makes them actually sound decent. I'm planning on saving up and making my first build with lubed Gateron milky blacks at some point in time. :)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #6597 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 18:48:28 »
kn2.10^2, cherry mx clear with 3 layers of ro59, 63.5g springs with gpl-105

black blank pbt until gmk alter arrives

potato cuz lazy:

might cerakote black to navy
I love Elzy

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #6598 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 20:12:49 »

potato cuz lazy:
Show Image

weeb
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #6599 on: Fri, 20 March 2020, 07:56:47 »

Both boards look great. I especially like the black one, just the way it is. What is all of this about cerakote anyway? I know its properties well, from firearms. I'm very surprised to see it being used on keyboards. Why use it over other finishes in these applications?