Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427488 times)

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #550 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 08:45:41 »
Show Image

Pilot Elite...............nice
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #551 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 22:07:22 »
On the Letter G:

89136-0

Not that I think my handwriting is great. I have long struggled with my nemesis "G" however.
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #552 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 22:40:05 »
"I" is a tricky little ****.  I hate the standard cursive version so much.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #553 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 22:41:03 »
"I" is a tricky little ****.  I hate the standard cursive version so much.

If you look at mine, it's a squished ampersand.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #554 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 02:23:01 »
I really don't like how a bunch of lowercase alphabits look like in cursive, but this pen is encouraging me to write fully in cursive. I'm at a crossroads. I also decided non-cursive looking G's are the best G's.

LAMY SAFARI FINE NIB w/ PARKER QUINK. I also cleaned out the pen with a decent amount of water and a dash of dish soap because I noticed the pen was scratchy and inconsistent straight out of the box.

Some scribbles. Also decided really early into the page that I'd just write at my normal pace as a baseline and also because I like the organic feel. For the most part, this is how I write normally.

diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #555 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 07:19:14 »
I don't have any Menlos, but here is a Collier and a Hudson.

(Attachment Link)

That transluscent material is lovely.  Which pen is that?

I both love and hate the upper case G. I feel like if its on point and right, it looks so good. And when I **** it up, it looks disgusting. Was playing around with it tonight. Please excuse the railroading.

Show Image

For u bro,

Show Image

TIL that the G we were taught in elementary school is not the only cursive variant

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #556 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 07:24:29 »
On the Letter G:

(Attachment Link)

Not that I think my handwriting is great. I have long struggled with my nemesis "G" however.

Ha that is great! Kinda reminds me of my own struggle with G and F.

I really don't like how a bunch of lowercase alphabits look like in cursive, but this pen is encouraging me to write fully in cursive. I'm at a crossroads. I also decided non-cursive looking G's are the best G's.

LAMY SAFARI FINE NIB w/ PARKER QUINK. I also cleaned out the pen with a decent amount of water and a dash of dish soap because I noticed the pen was scratchy and inconsistent straight out of the box.

Some scribbles. Also decided really early into the page that I'd just write at my normal pace as a baseline and also because I like the organic feel. For the most part, this is how I write normally.

Show Image

Are those S or G at the bottom? Can't tell if it's Seek or Geek.

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #557 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 07:36:27 »
BOTH
diary of a clacktalk

Offline Jixr

« Reply #558 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 15:00:35 »
just bought my first fountain pen, been trying to snag a rotring 600 off ebay, but they were just too expensive for me, so I found a levenger clone for $40 new, and it comes in a nice case.

First time ever using a FP, so when it comes in we will see how it is.

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #559 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 15:43:17 »
just bought my first fountain pen, been trying to snag a rotring 600 off ebay, but they were just too expensive for me, so I found a levenger clone for $40 new, and it comes in a nice case.

Nice. Sadly Austin is a tough place to try pens locally. There is a stationery place near Central Market on Lamar that has like, a half dozen, and a few J. Herbin inks, and then there is Paradise Pen Co. at the Barton Creek Mall. The fellow who works there is awesome and also deals in vintage in his off hours, but the selection was such that they had everything but what I wanted, except paper and ink.
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline Jixr

« Reply #560 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 18:33:56 »

Nice. Sadly Austin is a tough place to try pens locally. There is a stationery place near Central Market on Lamar that has like, a half dozen, and a few J. Herbin inks, and then there is Paradise Pen Co. at the Barton Creek Mall. The fellow who works there is awesome and also deals in vintage in his off hours, but the selection was such that they had everything but what I wanted, except paper and ink.

Thats good to know, I was actually at the mall today, and figured that it was nothing more than a snobby shop with dumb retail people.

I have a few rotring pens and pencils, but never used a fountain pen before. I'll check the stationary place and see what they have, as my FP will come with a cartrige thing and I wanna get some ink. I only really care about the rotring style stuff, everything else isn't for me.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #561 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 13:45:52 »
someone here wanted to see a sample of how fine a "Platinum UEF" (ultra extra fine) was, so I just dropped in a bunch of nibs (mostly thin) for comparison

in no way shape or form am I trying to glorify my pathetic handwriting. I do not cursive...........probably haven't since college easy- so everything is print

so here you go :eek:

More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Jixr

« Reply #562 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:40:49 »
Hey guys. I've been wanting to get an actual rotring fountain pen, and I really don't want to pay $200 for one.

I found this on ebay, its gold which is cool, but its really beat up.

Cosmetically, its rough, but seller says it does not leak ink and writes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROTRING-600-18-K-GOLD-NIB-FOUNTAIN-PEN-/121558395019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4d71e88b

I'm okay with the cosmetic issues, but not sure about buying used pens in this condition.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #563 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:48:22 »
someone here wanted to see a sample of how fine a "Platinum UEF" (ultra extra fine) was, so I just dropped in a bunch of nibs (mostly thin) for comparison

in no way shape or form am I trying to glorify my pathetic handwriting. I do not cursive...........probably haven't since college easy- so everything is print

so here you go :eek:

I like those thin lines.
I might get a Pilot vanishing point with a uef nib just to use for quick notes that can be used with cheap paper.
Hopefully uef nibs wouldn't just cut up the paper instead :))

Although I will have to get the nib ground for me as it doesn't actually come with uef.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:50:21 by FrostyToast »

Offline HalfSharkAlligator

« Reply #564 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 21:50:43 »
Hey guys. I've been wanting to get an actual rotring fountain pen, and I really don't want to pay $200 for one.

I found this on ebay, its gold which is cool, but its really beat up.

Cosmetically, its rough, but seller says it does not leak ink and writes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ROTRING-600-18-K-GOLD-NIB-FOUNTAIN-PEN-/121558395019?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4d71e88b

I'm okay with the cosmetic issues, but not sure about buying used pens in this condition.

You mentioned a few posts up that you haven't used a FP before. I highly recommend against a vintage FP for your first one. And furthermore, the one you posted on eBay, the Rotring FP, is in really rough shape.  I see rust damage too which means water, it might be a bad one. 

Instead, look at getting into a decent entry level FP for your first one, I guarantee your tastes will change over the first few months of using them (and aquiring too many of them).  Vintage will be finicky, modern pens are just more reliable and user-friendly. 

A few good entry level FP's are:

TWSBI Mini
Kaweco Sport
Pilot Metropolitan
Lamy Safari (although the nibs can be hit or miss, some are misaligned from factory causing scratchiness and turning off new users who don't know how to adjust it)
Also if you want a metal body instead, Lamy AL-Star is the aluminum version of the Safari and Kaweco AL Sport is the aluminum Sport.  And Lamy Vista is a clear Safari (demonstrator)
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 February 2015, 21:53:03 by HalfSharkAlligator »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #565 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 22:27:39 »
Totally agree with those introductory pens Half Shark Alligator. I would suggest the same pens to people. But I'd also add the Pilot Varsity and Platinum Preppy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 February 2015, 22:29:32 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Jixr

« Reply #566 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 09:37:28 »
I actually just got my first true FP in the mail the other day.

Since the rotrings are so expensive ( I mostly love their build quality and design ) I picked up a levenger L-tech, and while its not the same as a rotring, its pretty close.

$50 and it came with a fancy box case, a cartridge refiller thingy, and some other little goodies.

It has a screw on cap which is awesome, but the edges are a bit round ( not sharp like rotring ) and its a bit fatter than the rotring.

Right now i'm just using a black cartridge, but I ordered some brown ink of amazon that should be here on friday.
( I Love the old timey look of brown ink )

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #567 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 09:39:31 »
Writing sample time Jixr!

Offline Jixr

« Reply #568 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 10:15:57 »
ha, i'm not an artist, just a draftsman by trade. which kinda is how i ended up spending more money than any normal person would on pens.

Started with a nice mechanical pencil that I used in college, and it broke, so I bought a rotring one, loved it, and now have 2 pencils, 4 pens, and this levenger I just added. Pencils were $30 a pop, and the pens were from $25-140 ( i HAD to have one that was new in box for when my current one ever breaks, I love it ) and this levenger.

Ideally I would like to have one of everything from the rotring 600 series. Those things are amazing.

So My writing is basically standard all caps writing.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 February 2015, 10:23:28 by Jixr »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #569 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 10:17:43 »
ha, i'm not an artist, just a draftsman by trade. which kinda is how i ended up spending more money than any normal person would on pens.

Started with a nice mechanical pencil that I used in college, and it broke, so I bought a rotring one, loved it, and now have 2 pencils, 3 pens, and this levenger I just added.

Excuses are worse than not even doing it :p  PEER PRESSURE C'MON MAN

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Jixr

« Reply #570 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 10:40:55 »

the pen may be mightier than the sword, but my writing is as sharp as a butter knife.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:12:48 by Jixr »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #571 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 10:51:16 »

Started with a nice mechanical pencil that I used in college, and it broke, so I bought a rotring one, loved it, and now have 2 pencils, 4 pens, and this levenger I just added. Pencils were $30 a pop, and the pens were from $25-140 ( i HAD to have one that was new in box for when my current one ever breaks, I love it ) and this levenger.

Ideally I would like to have one of everything from the rotring 600 series. Those things are amazing.

I too did drafting for a while and found the 600s to be amazing for work. I've got two 600s right now. And my standard writing is all caps. I'd like to get the standard which shows you how your letters are supposed to be so I can improve my print.

Anyways, let's see that lovely drafting print. I'm betting yours looks on point and like a printer. Mine was always sloppy but the older guys on my team had incredible print.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #572 on: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:02:50 »
I can write much better with a pencil than I can this pen. I guess I'm still getting used to it.

Levenger FP
Rotring 600 .5mm pencil
Rotring 600 .7mm pencil
Rotring Rapid Pro ( its sucks and I hate it )
And my cherry, the rotring 600 pen, which is amazing.

( not shown, my other 600 pen, and a big fat 600 pen that looks like the levenger )

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 February 2015, 11:14:09 by Jixr »

Offline genkidama

« Reply #573 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 06:30:33 »
Hey guys,
I'm sorry I was ill for some time and lost track of the thread and my pen search. I'm sorry to CPTBadAss as I kept you waiting.

So now I'm kind of back and I tried some fountain pens at a local store. I tried Lamys and Parkers, wrote with medium, italic and fine nibs. Was very fun to write with those and you notice Parker being a very good pen. The essence of my endeavor is that I fear if I get a Pilot Metropolitan "fine" it'll be too fine and scratch the paper while writing. The salesman told me that I need to watch out for that as I tried a extra-fine nib from Parker or Cross (not quite sure anymore) and it kind of scratched while I wrote swung "f"'s. You guys told me that a japanese fine nib is comparable to a european extra fine nib, so I fear it'll scratch like I tried at the store. What do you think guys? I know it all depends on how you write and watching some of Goulet vids on YouTube, it was never mentioned that it scratched whatsoever. But the thinner the nib the more likley it'll scratch right?
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #574 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 06:35:50 »
The finer the nib is in general, the scratchier it will feel. Scratchy feel =/= will tear paper. I believe the Pilot Metro one isn't bad but I also don't do anything below Pilot Medium nibs and I'm tending towards broads or stubs now. So I might not be the best person to ask. Since you've already tried XF and you didn't like it, I suggest you stick with a F. Pilot or otherwise.

Offline genkidama

« Reply #575 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 07:15:16 »
I thought that the scratchy feeling will break the nib more quickly? I also tend to put more pressure on the pen than necessary.
But as I was consulted by that salesman person, I thought that the Pilot F is an Extra-Fine I tried on a Parker/Cross which I disliked. So is it better to get a Pilot M rather than a Pilot F? This is was I meant, I'm not sure if that came across in my initial post.
My finger training is over 9000!!!!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #576 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 07:21:34 »
I thought that the scratchy feeling will break the nib more quickly? I also tend to put more pressure on the pen than necessary.
But as I was consulted by that salesman person, I thought that the Pilot F is an Extra-Fine I tried on a Parker/Cross which I disliked. So is it better to get a Pilot M rather than a Pilot F? This is was I meant, I'm not sure if that came across in my initial post.

Yeah Japanese nibs are generally ground one degree finer than European nibs.
That means you should either get a European fine nib or medium Japanese nib.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #577 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 07:23:01 »
I feel like the Japanese vs European nib width thing is a bit overblown and simplified. Look up some writing samples. I find it varies more by company and the Pilot Medium isn't a true fine in my opinion. It is certainly thinner than say a Pelikan Medium but not so much so that I would call it a fine. My Lamy Fine is much much finer than the Pilot Medium. I suggest instead of listening to what people have to say, go to the Nib Nook on Goulet and find the nib width pictures or look up writing samples and decide for yourself what you would like.

I don't know what context you mean by "better". Again, it's up to you what you're looking for in a pen and how you write with it. You did your own research by going to the store so trust what you liked and didn't like. Because in the end you're the one that's writing with it, not me or anyone else. If you didn't like how scratchy it was, maybe you should go back and try a nib size up.

Your nib won't break because it's scratchy. It's just how it feels.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #578 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 08:14:28 »
There's a LOT more to it than size of the nib.   The material of the nib, the thickness.   How it's ground etc...   A well tuned XF can write smooth as butter, whereas a very hard, damaged M nib could be scratchy as hell.   I personally feel that "most" stock nibs on new pens are not nice to write with at all.   Too hard, too stiff, and too similar to a ball point pen.   And then ..... why bother?   But a properly adjusted/tuned nib for flow and writing style can result in writing bliss.   Even though most of our writing these days involves banging on keycaps or thumbing letters on our phones    ;D ;D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #579 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 08:18:55 »
There's a lot of truth to skcheng's post. I've smoothed a lot of the nibs on the pens I have. I fixed the misaligned tines on my Pelikan M605 as well when I got it. Obviously shouldn't have come like that but it was fun to fix it.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #580 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 09:57:18 »
There's a lot of truth to skcheng's post. I've smoothed a lot of the nibs on the pens I have. I fixed the misaligned tines on my Pelikan M605 as well when I got it. Obviously shouldn't have come like that but it was fun to fix it.

CPT knows I have a lot of fine/ef nibs and they aren't "scratchy" most of that is either poor penmanship or a cruddy nib.  If you want to learn how to work with a mediocre nib buy a pen that will accept #6 sized nibs, and then purchase a tuning kit and some noodler's flex nibs.  They are mostly the worst right out of the box, but you can make them write nearly as well as the most expensive pens you own.  It really goes to illustrate the value of a good tuning.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #581 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 10:34:30 »
I wouldn't even go that far in terms of learning to work on your own pens. I started smoothing my own nibs with a brown paper lunch bag. You rip off a square, hold the pen like you normally would, then draw figure 8s on the lunch bag with the pen inked up. Every so often, try writing a line on normal paper to see if the nib is as smooth as you want it.

I've now got a special nib smoothing kit that I use but honestly, the brown paper bag trick is pretty easy and effective. Just gotta watch for paper fibers getting stuck in your nib.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #582 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 10:57:25 »
CPT doesn't like diving too deep >.>  Guess we gotta build up his game some more.  This is a fancy chart I ripped off of a neat FB group.  Puts the whole fountain pen thing into perspective.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #583 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 11:00:32 »
Ha. I went straight headfirst into my Pilot elite...
I don't need a gateway drug.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #584 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:25:04 »
is there any way you can make a fine tipped pen more fine? It still seems really wide to me, and I really like more hair line type writing since I usually write so small.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #585 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:34:42 »
is there any way you can make a fine tipped pen more fine? It still seems really wide to me, and I really like more hair line type writing since I usually write so small.

You can go up to an extra fine and an ultra extra fine.
Again, Japanese nibs are a tad finer, but apparently not a full degree as was pointed out.
You can also have a nibmeister grind an existing nib.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #586 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:35:53 »

Try writing with the pen upside down. I've heard people doing that to get finer lines. I don't think it can go finer unless you retip it but I have seen Ultra extra fine or needlepoint nibs.

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #587 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:53:35 »
CPT doesn't like diving too deep >.>  Guess we gotta build up his game some more.  This is a fancy chart I ripped off of a neat FB group.  Puts the whole fountain pen thing into perspective.

Show Image

I'm fully entrenched in the "I've Lost My ****" section.   My favorites are completely custom made pens, Montblancs 149s, and Nakayas.  I have a Sailor King of Pen as well ..... big beast of a pen!! 

Offline Jixr

« Reply #588 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 13:07:15 »
yeah, after doing some research, it seems like its a common thing with this brand, that all the nib labels are a step up in size.

My $40 pen is about to turn into a $75 pen with buying a new nib. :/

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #589 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 13:31:33 »

Show Image

I'm fully entrenched in the "I've Lost My ****" section.   My favorites are completely custom made pens, Montblancs 149s, and Nakayas.  I have a Sailor King of Pen as well ..... big beast of a pen!! 

Yeah I've gotten into that category with my Sailor, Onoto, and Visconti pens.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 February 2015, 18:31:22 by Binge »

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #590 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 16:57:08 »
The Sheaffer Triumph............conical nibs were made to be written upside down. A medium, fine will write an extra-fine, hairline, etc.

I really have not had any problem with my extra fine, etc. nibs ripping into the paper, even my Platinum 377 with UEF is very smooth............

I guess I am off the deep end as far as Binge's Chart............, I've lost it all :-\

As far as bang for the buck you cannot go wrong with a Parker 45 with an XF nib on it. Just make sure it comes with a converter. I know they are pretty vanilla, but they can be had for a song with a 14k nib still

BTW..........it is not that hard to bring a fine down to an extra fine............just watch the corners are somewhat rounded off

More

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #591 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 18:51:40 »
The Sheaffer Triumph............conical nibs were made to be written upside down. A medium, fine will write an extra-fine, hairline, etc.

I have a Ranga with one of those nibs that I got from Peyton Street Pens, and it does truly write a nice, clean, fine line.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #592 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 19:00:31 »
How do you like that hybrid pen from Peyton Street Pens brimborion? I was going to snag one of the Ranga's with the flexible Evershap nibs.

Offline Jixr

« Reply #593 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 19:44:29 »
Yeah, I ended up just ordering a extra fine nib to replace mine.

I attempted to sharpen it a bit, but didn't notice any difference. Don't want to break it or mess it up though, so i'll see how the new nib does.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #594 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 19:53:59 »
I have a couple of these which write fairly thin, wet and depending on where you check are not very expensive

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROTRING-CORE-LYSUM-FOUNTAIN-PEN-FINE-PT-NEW-IN-BOX-22454-MADE-IN-GERMANY-/141563862048?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f5dd1c20

More

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #595 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 21:35:08 »
Bought these off amazon, basically just to see if I like the Ultra-fine nib. If I do, I plan to pick up a nicer model to carry
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KRXPN5W/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVHPCG21UKS8

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #596 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 23:53:13 »
Bought these off amazon, basically just to see if I like the Ultra-fine nib. If I do, I plan to pick up a nicer model to carry
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KRXPN5W/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVHPCG21UKS8

Awesome man.  I saw your PM but I have not had time to respond to much.  Glad you were able to get sorted :)

Offline clacktalk

• circa 2015
« Reply #597 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 03:43:41 »
I can write much better with a pencil than I can this pen. I guess I'm still getting used to it.

Show Image

Levenger FP
Rotring 600 .5mm pencil
Rotring 600 .7mm pencil
Rotring Rapid Pro ( its sucks and I hate it )
And my cherry, the rotring 600 pen, which is amazing.

( not shown, my other 600 pen, and a big fat 600 pen that looks like the levenger )
Show Image

I have the rapid pro, and I really enjoy writing with it! I considered the 600 and 800 before picking it up, but there were crazy mixed reviews for the 800 and the functionaltiy/sturdiness of the rapid pro over the 600 won me over. I'm thinking of getting the Lamy Scribble next just because it looks so fun to write with. Or the Uni Kuru Toga bc I'm curious about how all the tech in the pencil handles. If only there were a sturdier version of the Kuru Toga, that would probably be my dream pencil.

I already have my next nice fp purchase lined up. The Pilot Vanishing Pro has caught my attention, but I'd rather eat more burritos at Chipotle than drop over a hundo for a pen. It may forever quench my desire for more, HOPEFULLY.
diary of a clacktalk

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #598 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 12:45:05 »

looks like a hero?
More

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #599 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 16:18:08 »

looks like a hero?

Title says it's a Hero 9296

With that said, I don't think they come with ink. I have a bottle of Brothers Stamp Ink .. would that be OK to use?