Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427477 times)

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1100 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 10:59:19 »
Hehe

Just came back from a Pelikan hub meet with a lot of ink!

They sent a lot considering not many showed up but it happens.

Ended up with a bottle of Mandarin, Jade and Topaz in the edelstein line and 5 cases of Amethyst cartridges...

As well as a notebook and several pen cases

Fun testing out different fountain pens and inks.

That is quite the haul. what is a hub meet?

It's a meetup sponsored by Pelikan

You sign up on their site and one person volunteers to be a hub host. The hub host is sent a bunch of freebies to give out. The host then organizes a meetup between all of those who signed up.

Most major cities should have one already registered.

Offline iri

« Reply #1101 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 11:28:35 »
It's safe to say I am now poor haha.
you are not poor if you still have your kidneys. sell one, buy a Montegrappa!
Alternatively you could get an entry level Montblanc.
hue hue
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SL89

« Reply #1102 on: Sat, 26 September 2015, 11:44:09 »
@Syribo and GL1TCHED I'm pretty open to writing people and getting letters. It's been eons since I've gotten to correspond with someone via snail mail.

@GL1TCHED regarding the hub meet, thats a really cool sort of event. I've yet to really venture into higher end stuff but my OG pen from a while ago was a beat up old Pelikan, no idea what make or model, but I do know I accidentally killed it years ago using the wrong type of ink. (India Ink)

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1103 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:30:13 »
Picked up a Pelikan M200 in Cafe Creme with a fine nib.

I wanted one really bad some time ago, but decided against it. Upon seeing it on Massdrop, and then being pointed to a cheaper source, I splurged and picked one up. It's every bit as sexy as I imagined. Perhaps a duller cream color would help it photograph better and not be quite as flashy, which would suit my tastes better. Nevertheless, it matches my board well in person and it looks fantastic. Now I just need a pair of the Sennheiser's in a similar color scheme and pick up a dark wood wrist rest. At the moment, I have not inked up my M200 just yet, so I cannot remark on the writing quality.

I have some Bungbox inks at my house that I'd like to try, unfortunately, I'm down at college right now. Noodler's Aircorp blue/black and Forest Green are my only two options at the moment.

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1104 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 12:35:11 »
I am keen on trying a Music nib (specifically the Noodler's Neponset) and before the Neponset the Music nibs all seemed to be custom.

Not necessarily. There are vintage music nibs. I've got a Warranted (generic nib) gold flexible Music nib. It's insanity and I love it.

Yay everyone getting into pens....and Pelikans :D

Offline SL89

« Reply #1105 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 13:06:20 »
@THSdrummer dang, that looks lovely

@CPTBadAss ahh ok, ill just keep my eyes open then.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1106 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 13:15:41 »
<3 fat nibs
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Syribo

• I like coffee and pink things.
« Reply #1107 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:09:00 »
I can't stop buying ink samples and pens and ink GOD HELP ME... I have so many damn ink samples now. And like five pens. I'm a horrible person.

I rationalized my need of new pens by saying.. Well, I needed one cheap one to keep in waterproof ink in so I don't mess up any of them.. and I needed one to keep black in in... And I needed a medium nib, a fine nib, a flex nib...

So of course now I'm like "I really want a 1.1mm italic nib.....". But I really can't spend anymore money, I finally hit the limit of what I would allow myself to spend lol. I do want more stationery though... Ugh that Verge de France G. Lalo pink stationery set I WANT IT SOOOO BAD. But damn, $27 on Amazon. But it's seriously at the top of my want list right now.

Ducky Shine 4        CM Storm QFR

Offline Aengus

« Reply #1108 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 14:31:19 »
I am new to GH and recently came across this thread.  I have always wanted to get a fountain pen, but I always decided it would be a stupid purchase because I am left handed and imagined that I would smear the ink with my hand as I wrote with the pen. Am I wrong in making this assumption? Please tell me I am wrong.  If I am given the OK by you guys that I won't get ink everywhere, what do you recommend as a good first fountain pen?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1109 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 15:13:59 »
I can't stop buying ink samples and pens and ink GOD HELP ME... I have so many damn ink samples now. And like five pens. I'm a horrible person.

I rationalized my need of new pens by saying.. Well, I needed one cheap one to keep in waterproof ink in so I don't mess up any of them.. and I needed one to keep black in in... And I needed a medium nib, a fine nib, a flex nib...

So of course now I'm like "I really want a 1.1mm italic nib.....". But I really can't spend anymore money, I finally hit the limit of what I would allow myself to spend lol. I do want more stationery though... Ugh that Verge de France G. Lalo pink stationery set I WANT IT SOOOO BAD. But damn, $27 on Amazon. But it's seriously at the top of my want list right now.

You fit in very well around here :)

A little gentle obsessiveness is good - let's you focus on something distracting to forget about the real world for a while.

My first fountain pen is still going - I got a Pilot disposable (a pair of them, actually) to see how it went.  It went very well indeed, but my first one still hasn't run out of ink.

Then I have the second one.  And two more refillable ones I got from Massdrop.

This is fun :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1110 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 15:16:59 »
I am new to GH and recently came across this thread.  I have always wanted to get a fountain pen, but I always decided it would be a stupid purchase because I am left handed and imagined that I would smear the ink with my hand as I wrote with the pen. Am I wrong in making this assumption? Please tell me I am wrong.  If I am given the OK by you guys that I won't get ink everywhere, what do you recommend as a good first fountain pen?

That depends on many factors: the way you write/hold the pen, the nib size, the ink.

All that said, I know many left-handed fountain pen users. Usually they use nibs on the finer range and/or inks that dries quickly.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1111 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 15:28:52 »

That depends on many factors: the way you write/hold the pen, the nib size, the ink.

All that said, I know many left-handed fountain pen users. Usually they use nibs on the finer range and/or inks that dries quickly.

You also forgot to add the choice of paper.
The problem with paper choice for lefties is that most fountain pen friendly papers are very ink resistant and are designed that way to prevent bleeding and feathering. However, this resistance will mean that dry times are much longer.
I have used paper where the ink dried in 0 seconds completely. However that had the absolute worst bleeding and worst feathering. That paper didn't even work with an extra fine. Admittedly I was using a wet visconti.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1112 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 15:59:19 »

A little gentle obsessiveness is good - let's you focus on something distracting to forget about the real world for a while.

My first fountain pen is still going - I got a Pilot disposable (a pair of them, actually) to see how it went.  It went very well indeed, but my first one still hasn't run out of ink.

It definitely does help me focus on something other than real world stresses :) And I love laying in bed at night and writing in my journal, testing out all my different pens and inks. I love my pens ahhhhh.

I love my Rhodia webnotebook the best so far. My two Leuchtturms have the worst bleedthrough... wow. Like, really really bad. I really want to try some Tomoe River paper. I have yet to try my Clairefontaine stationery, this week I will finally. And I need that damn G. Lalo stationery...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1113 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 16:16:33 »

It definitely does help me focus on something other than real world stresses :) And I love laying in bed at night and writing in my journal, testing out all my different pens and inks. I love my pens ahhhhh.

I love my Rhodia webnotebook the best so far. My two Leuchtturms have the worst bleedthrough... wow. Like, really really bad. I really want to try some Tomoe River paper. I have yet to try my Clairefontaine stationery, this week I will finally. And I need that damn G. Lalo stationery...

I like the use of the word "need" rather than the word "want" :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1114 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 20:00:53 »
Since we're talking about paper I would strongly suggest SN^2 paper.  It's friendly for calligraphy or fountain pens and it is amazing paper.  It's not very expensive to boot for what you get.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Larken

« Reply #1115 on: Mon, 28 September 2015, 22:37:24 »

a basic overview for left-handed fountain pen use. as mentioned by others, it depends on a variety of factors. However, if you write under the line (which is probably not the case since you brought up smearing), you'd have free reins on the choice of ink, paper and most nibs (stubs and italics are slightly more complicated).

If not, you'd have to tweak the other factors to use fountain pens; very fine nibs, dry feeds, fast drying inks. Exaggerating the 'hook' if you're an overwriter. Rotating the paper. Lefties who hold their pens at a high angle is going to find fine nibs scratchy without adjustment because of the push strokes. Not much point using absorbent papers to achieve this end imo (though it is one way to prevent smearing), as the results look like crap.

One of the pens (or rather, nibs) that really worked for me before I switched to writing under the line was a needlepoint from franklin-christoph. Same nib as the TWSBIs, but the feed was noticeably drier. Most inks dried under 4s, some even lesser. However, its not cheap for a first step into fountain pens.

You can probably look into the Pilot Metro with a fine nib to start with and see how you do with it, and if you need something finer, get a Pilot Penmanship (comes with an EF nib that isn't available for the metro) for a nib swap.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Aengus

« Reply #1116 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 08:44:23 »
Great! Thanks for the info everyone.  I will check out the pens that Larkin mentioned.

However, if you write under the line

This means that my entire hand is under the line that I am currently writing on, yea?

Offline Larken

« Reply #1117 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 10:31:08 »
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline SL89

« Reply #1118 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 10:48:57 »
So everyone, I have a question: Since we are all mildly obsessed with input devices and writing instruments, Which one do you find is more 'natural' to you?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1119 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:06:35 »
My system at work:

- Scribble everything and anything down into a notebook with my Pilot VP. It's essentially a brain dump.

- Go back to my desk and sort through my notes and priorities. When I figure out what I actually need, I transfer it into OneNote.

As great as paper and pen are, I can't CTRL-F it yet. Paper and pen to me feel more like an extension of my hands and thoughts. The keyboards are great but they feel more like a tool or a machine to me.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1120 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:33:35 »
My system at work:

- Scribble everything and anything down into a notebook with my Pilot VP. It's essentially a brain dump.

- Go back to my desk and sort through my notes and priorities. When I figure out what I actually need, I transfer it into OneNote.

As great as paper and pen are, I can't CTRL-F it yet. Paper and pen to me feel more like an extension of my hands and thoughts. The keyboards are great but they feel more like a tool or a machine to me.

That's pretty much what I do as well. What do you use for your EDC notebook, and what do you do for work? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1121 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:36:48 »
I'm currently really into Field Notes but I'm also exploring other notebooks of that size. Recently, jdcarpe made me some notebooks so I'll be working those into the rotation next. The Field Notes are tough and fit into my back pocket easily so I like that. Plus they have lots of variations so they're fun.

I work in a factory in the aerospace industry.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #1122 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:40:35 »
Anyway, I have 5 cases of international standard cartridges of Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst ink to give out for free.

I'm a bit in the red (and working to pay that off with work) after buying the Sony Camera so the only thing I ask is that you pay shipping.

1 case max per person / user / address

First come first serve.

Note: Case is 6 cartridges

Offline SL89

« Reply #1123 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 11:45:20 »
I'm currently really into Field Notes but I'm also exploring other notebooks of that size. Recently, jdcarpe made me some notebooks so I'll be working those into the rotation next. The Field Notes are tough and fit into my back pocket easily so I like that. Plus they have lots of variations so they're fun.

I work in a factory in the aerospace industry.

Nice, I was using Field Notes, but I got a free leather journal and they are just barely too big. So I'm gonna be ordering the Scout Books, as they seem to fit the right dimensions.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1124 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:05:00 »
So everyone, I have a question: Since we are all mildly obsessed with input devices and writing instruments, Which one do you find is more 'natural' to you?

Well I understand letters, symbols, and writing.  The pen is more cerebral.  The keyboard is more of a tool to assist me in making it easier to copy more of my thoughts faster, but it can not replace the engagement that occurs by scrawling out each and every character.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #1125 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 13:16:02 »

I think writing feels more natural and is fun! It helps me get my creative juices flowing. It's easier to play with a pen and paper than on a computer. I also like to draw and doodle a lot and probably do that more than writing. I generally write down ideas and sketches for work and then refine them on the computer. When I sit down specifically to write a lot, it's usually to practice my fountain pen skills.

I've noticed I 'cmd+z' and want to 'backspace' a lot when I'm writing though which is a newish thing for me. I also try to "cmd+f" in my head to search for stuff at the grocery store too though.

On another note- I'd be down to do penpals if anyone wants! :D It'll give me more motivation to practice my writing!
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #1126 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 15:27:14 »
Finally got a pen holder for my lovelies.

Left one is a Montblanc Starwalker rollerball, right one is a Visconti Salvador Dali fountain pen. Middle one is just cause it is fun it is made out of a recycled circuit board.

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 September 2015, 21:03:36 by inanis »
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1127 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 16:03:24 »

Left one is a Montblanc Starwalker rollerball, right one is a Visconti Salvador Dali fountain pen. Middle one is just cause it is fun it is made out of a recycled circuit board.

Show Image

Gah I want a Visconti so bad.... Actually, there's two pens on my pen wishlist right now.

This Pelikan.. *drool*

And this Visconti UGHHH...

The Pelikan is like $500... The Visconti is like $300. :'( Woe is me.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1128 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 19:24:35 »

I really love typing. So spending time at my keyboard is fantastic, plus as a drafter, I have to spend many hours there navigating with random short cuts. But after all that, I really enjoy looking over a printed drawing with my fountain pen and marking it up, which takes me back to the keyboard.

That said, I do some hand writing for fun such as to pen pals and journals on hikes/vacations.

I'd say I'm equal at both. I don't have terrible hand writing, but it does take me a while to get my information down on a page in nice cursive writing. But on the keyboard, I'm not very good at long, sustained typing. I'm pretty good at short bursts (thanks to Runescape as a kid, I think). Probably better at typing than I am at hand writing overall.

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1129 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 19:53:51 »

Show Image

Gah I want a Visconti so bad.... Actually, there's two pens on my pen wishlist right now.

Show Image

This Pelikan.. *drool*

Show Image

I would hang around the classifieds of forums.
Prices of used contemporary pens usually get slashed in half if they are used and still available for purchase.
I got a visconti opera typhoon for $300 that way which is insane.
Just be quick about it because both the pens you posted are on my wish list as well and I have a very small wish list.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #1130 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 20:01:04 »

Show Image

This Pelikan.. *drool*

Show Image

I would hang around the classifieds of forums.
Prices of used contemporary pens usually get slashed in half if they are used and still available for purchase.
I got a visconti opera typhoon for $300 that way which is insane.
Just be quick about it because both the pens you posted are on my wish list as well and I have a very small wish list.

That Pelikan is amazing. I wish I could afford to just go buy it! Both of the nice pens I got were gifts, I don't think I could have mentally handled justifying that cost to myself. Maybe Frosty is right and we can all find a deal one day soon. Or one of us anyway.... :)
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1131 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 20:39:11 »
So I messed up my thumb pretty bad the other day playing Egyptian Rat Screw.  It has been over a week and it still hurts.  I think I must have fractured it or bruised the deep tissue of the joint.  At least the swelling has gone down.

Anywho - has anybody seen any tips for writing while temporarily mangled?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1132 on: Tue, 29 September 2015, 20:54:11 »
So I messed up my thumb pretty bad the other day playing Egyptian Rat Screw.  It has been over a week and it still hurts.  I think I must have fractured it or bruised the deep tissue of the joint.  At least the swelling has gone down.

Anywho - has anybody seen any tips for writing while temporarily mangled?

Practise being ambidextrous.
Not really joking either. If you can write properly with either hand you might as well train where it counts.
Although you could also use the opportunity to practise arm movements with your dominant side. Many people get into the habit of writing without moving their hand which impairs the ability to write cursive comfortably.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #1133 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 00:30:10 »
Was doing a cleaning of my Twsbi mini and it appears the thread on the feed that threads into the body of the pen has broken. Now the I can't screw the nib back onto the pen.  :'(

Sad days...  :(

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1134 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 00:33:07 »
Was doing a cleaning of my Twsbi mini and it appears the thread on the feed that threads into the body of the pen has broken. Now the I can't screw the nib back onto the pen.  :'(

I believe they will send you a replacement part for free but that is still unfortunate.
Reasons why I will never purchase a twsbi.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #1135 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 00:36:37 »

I believe they will send you a replacement part for free but that is still unfortunate.
It twas a gift from demik, I don't think they will send me any parts for free when I don't have an warranty?

Offline iri

« Reply #1136 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 05:17:47 »
Doing a brain dump with a VP? Someone is being posh now!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline wupi

« Reply #1137 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 11:22:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

This Pelikan.. *drool*

Show Image

Just 370€ in Germany, thats about $413.  :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1138 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 11:23:21 »
It twas a gift from demik, I don't think they will send me any parts for free when I don't have an warranty?

Just contact them. They're really good with customer service. One of the reasons why I like TWSBI.

I think for the price and the service, it's worth taking the risk. I don't know if paying 6x for a Visconti gives me 6x the improvement over a TWSBI. Not saying I don't like Visconti (I really want a Homo Sapien) but I think TWSBI does a great mid-tier pen.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1139 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 15:01:16 »
Okay so some insanely nice person surprised me today... no idea who it was, I didn't see anything else in the package, but someone sent me the pink G. Lalo stationery set I've been pining over for the last month since getting into pens in the first place.. I almost dropped it to the floor in surprise because I had NO idea what was in the package that came!! So whoever it was, THANK YOUUUU GAH! I want to write you a thank you letter on it :) I am about to break it open and start writing out all the letters to people I need to send.

Thank you thank you thank you :)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1140 on: Wed, 30 September 2015, 20:01:48 »
I have just started a skype chat for anyone interested in writing/fountain pens.
If you want to join just throw me a message with your skype info so that I can add you.
Don't be afraid to join, I'll invite anyone who shares the passion of writing!

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #1141 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 02:27:11 »
So I'm curious, what is every ones favourite/most used ink?

I'm going to pick up some Pilot Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo, and maybe some some other noodlers inks because they won't cripple my wallet with one bottle.  :))

But I'm going to hold off on those purchases until I get a new pen, I'm aiming to get a pilot metal falcon once I have the extra cash, it's quite expensive, but I just love the look and a flex nib interests me. I'll play around with other nibs if the stock one doesn't please me.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1142 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 06:20:34 »
Diamine is the right mix of price point, color choice, performance, and safety for me. Iroshizuku is a bit too much for my tastes.

And you can try a flex nib pen for way less than what a Falcon costs. Noodlers flex pens are a good starting point and I think flex more than a Falcon.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1143 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 07:17:15 »

I am a Noodler's fan to the hilt, for black I like Borealis Black, for red i have Nikita, for blue i have been playing with Baystate Blue in various dilutions, but I have yet to find a green that i really like, so for now im using Diamine Sherwood Green.

I think Noodler's is the best value per ml by far, and the variety of colors, shades and properties are very attractive, but I agree with CPTBadAss that Diamine is very nice as well.

Plus if you invest a bit more and go for the big bottles, you get a free pen, all of which I have enjoyed immensely.

If you want to try a flex pen, give the Noodler's Nib Creaper a gander, it might be the right price point to play around with.

Offline iri

« Reply #1144 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 09:15:04 »
Diamine Burnt Sienna.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SL89

« Reply #1145 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 09:15:45 »
Diamine Burnt Sienna.

What pen do you have that in?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1146 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 09:40:37 »
Diamine Burnt Sienna.

+100 this is a fantastic ink.

I also like quite a few of the turquoise inks.  The favorite that comes to my mind most often is Levenger True Turquoise.  I have other favorite utility inks, but they rarely get into my more expensive pens.

Offline iri

« Reply #1147 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 09:47:46 »
Diamine Burnt Sienna.

What pen do you have that in?
Lamy Safari currently.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline SL89

« Reply #1148 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 13:15:57 »
Do either of you have a decent looking sample, most of what I'm seeing is a orangish brown smear, does it shade well or something?

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #1149 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 14:04:33 »
I know there are other cheaper noodler flex pens, I just wanted to delve into something a bit higher end.

I doubt I'll only buy one fountain in the end...v :-X