Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427480 times)

Offline Syribo

• I like coffee and pink things.
Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1150 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 14:08:40 »
My favorite right now is J. Herbin Rose Tendresse... it's a really really nice pink-purple, I love it. It looks better in my Noodler's Ahab Flex more than any other pen. So much shading.

I'm trying to find a nice color to complement the pink rose G. Lalo that someone sent me :) Still don't know who you were.. but thank you AGAIN. I think a nice gold color would look good, but the J Herbin Ambre de Birmanie I just tried was waaay too light. Probably should have tried it in the Ahab, it seems to make things darker.

May try my Diamine Autumn Oak on it, that color is soooo nice, especially with autumn finally being here. It looks amazing in a flex pen with a TON of shading!

Ducky Shine 4        CM Storm QFR

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1151 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 14:16:54 »
Syribo, I just picked up the Mont Blanc Pink Ink. I'm stoked to see how it turns out. I also love Diamine Claret and Iroshizuku Kosumosu.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #1152 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 14:24:40 »
I'm really looking forward to trying the iroshizuku yu-take (Sunset) colour. That colour is just so vibrant with it's shading.  :eek:

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1153 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 14:26:09 »
My favorite right now is J. Herbin Rose Tendresse... it's a really really nice pink-purple, I love it. It looks better in my Noodler's Ahab Flex more than any other pen. So much shading.

I'm trying to find a nice color to complement the pink rose G. Lalo that someone sent me :) Still don't know who you were.. but thank you AGAIN. I think a nice gold color would look good, but the J Herbin Ambre de Birmanie I just tried was waaay too light. Probably should have tried it in the Ahab, it seems to make things darker.

May try my Diamine Autumn Oak on it, that color is soooo nice, especially with autumn finally being here. It looks amazing in a flex pen with a TON of shading!

Mind providing a sample of the Rose Tendresse?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1154 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 14:54:27 »

Mind providing a sample of the Rose Tendresse?
I will write out some lines and then try to scan it :) If I try to take a picture with my ****ty iPad camera, it won't do it justice haha. It's a gorgeous purpley pink, I looooove it. But definitely love it best with the flex nib.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1155 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 18:48:46 »
Welp.............. Aside from mechanical keyboards and fountain pens, and my love for coffee and pink stuff.. There's one more thing I love above all else..

...Sailor Moon. Don't judge me. The original subbed uncut Sailormoon was AMAZING. And it's been such a huge impact and part of my life since the days of watching it in 4th grade before school, dubbed.. until I got into the uncut stuff when I was in 7th grade, and to this day I still love it. I've cosplayed Sailor Jupiter, I have 7 Sailormoon posters on my wall, keychains, plushies, etc.

..Welp, just came across this on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/223399889/preorder-sailor-moon-gabis-disguise?ref=shop_home_active_2

Oh. My. God...... Screw the $500 pens I previously was pining over, I need this. It says backordered until January 2016, but I don't care! I must get this! It probably writes like crap, worst nib ever, but I'm sure it can be replaced. Oh man oh man... Someone could make a fortune making fountain pens based on geek stuff. Anime, movies, comics, etc. Maybe there actually is stuff like that out there.. if I found a Sailormoon one, there must be a ton of different pens inspired by fictional stuff.

Ah crap I found it on Amazon too for about $40.... I also have a friend in Japan who may be able to find one.... Damn this hobby and making me want so many things haha just like keycaps :P
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2015, 19:26:52 by Syribo »

Offline SL89

« Reply #1156 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 12:06:40 »
Do it up Syribo, even if the nib is ****, im sure you can retrofit it with something more worthwhile.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1157 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 22:54:21 »
Do it up Syribo, even if the nib is ****, im sure you can retrofit it with something more worthwhile.

That's not always true.  Hopefully it is not a chinese kit pen, otherwise you won't be able to swap out the nibs without some srs hacking T-T
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1158 on: Sat, 03 October 2015, 22:57:10 »

That's not always true.  Hopefully it is not a chinese kit pen, otherwise you won't be able to swap out the nibs without some srs hacking T-T

I would just hope that the feed can keep up.
If the nib needs some work then it can be an opportunity to learn how to work your own nibs :D
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1159 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 09:11:43 »
I think I read a review somewhere about it, where it can be replaced.. but there are probably a whole bunch of different ones out there. I'm pretty sure it's from China. I just want it because.. well.. Sailor Moon haha, but would be nice if it could at least write at all!

As soon as I have the money for it at some point, I am sooooooooooo getting it no matter what. It's freaking perfect hahaha.

There's what it's based off of.. it's freaking perfect gaaaahhhh

But seriously, someone could make a ton of money making geeky fountain pens out there.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1160 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 10:09:57 »
I think I read a review somewhere about it, where it can be replaced.. but there are probably a whole bunch of different ones out there. I'm pretty sure it's from China. I just want it because.. well.. Sailor Moon haha, but would be nice if it could at least write at all!

As soon as I have the money for it at some point, I am sooooooooooo getting it no matter what. It's freaking perfect hahaha.
Show Image

But seriously, someone could make a ton of money making geeky fountain pens out there.

Welp.............. Aside from mechanical keyboards and fountain pens, and my love for coffee and pink stuff.. There's one more thing I love above all else..

...Sailor Moon. Don't judge me. The original subbed uncut Sailormoon was AMAZING. And it's been such a huge impact and part of my life since the days of watching it in 4th grade before school, dubbed.. until I got into the uncut stuff when I was in 7th grade, and to this day I still love it. I've cosplayed Sailor Jupiter, I have 7 Sailormoon posters on my wall, keychains, plushies, etc.

Show Image

https://www.etsy.com/listing/223399889/preorder-sailor-moon-gabis-disguise?ref=shop_home_active_2

Oh. My. God...... Screw the $500 pens I previously was pining over, I need this. It says backordered until January 2016, but I don't care! I must get this! It probably writes like crap, worst nib ever, but I'm sure it can be replaced. Oh man oh man... Someone could make a fortune making fountain pens based on geek stuff. Anime, movies, comics, etc. Maybe there actually is stuff like that out there.. if I found a Sailormoon one, there must be a ton of different pens inspired by fictional stuff.

Ah crap I found it on Amazon too for about $40.... I also have a friend in Japan who may be able to find one.... Damn this hobby and making me want so many things haha just like keycaps :P

I need a Mercury one. I have a ball point pen but could definitely go for a Mercury fountain pen. That thing is tempting though.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1161 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 17:07:12 »

Show Image

Show Image

I need a Mercury one. I have a ball point pen but could definitely go for a Mercury fountain pen. That thing is tempting though.

Man... I would do anything for a perfect Sailor Jupiter henshin fountain pen....... That would be even more ideal than this disguise one, but I don't think there's any fountain pens based off the other senshi :( If only I had a 3D Printer and knew what to do to make a pen lol

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1162 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 17:41:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Man... I would do anything for a perfect Sailor Jupiter henshin fountain pen....... That would be even more ideal than this disguise one, but I don't think there's any fountain pens based off the other senshi :( If only I had a 3D Printer and knew what to do to make a pen lol

Best I could come up with would be to buy this set and try to convert one. http://www.sailormooncollectibles.com/for-sale/new-merchandise/
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1163 on: Sun, 04 October 2015, 18:02:36 »

Show Image

Show Image

Best I could come up with would be to buy this set and try to convert one. http://www.sailormooncollectibles.com/for-sale/new-merchandise/
God, that would be AMAZING. I'd be all over a Jupiter one. Probably would cost a fortune to find someone that would be able to even do that. But that would be so incredible. I'd bring it everywhere haha.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1164 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 08:41:54 »
2015 Edison Pen Group Buy is alive! I think I'll buy the ebonite version. :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1165 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 09:16:15 »
Ugh I'm so tempted. I want an Edison pretty bad but I want that pump filler which is a budget slayer.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1166 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 15:47:29 »
So, like keyboards, FP's seem to have similar 'tiers' from non named chinese and indian pens, to flagship pens into the thousands.

How much of that is just collector stuff, or confirmation bias, or whatever people use to justify that sort of thing as opposed to actual objective quality or usability?

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1167 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 16:00:24 »
So, like keyboards, FP's seem to have similar 'tiers' from non named chinese and indian pens, to flagship pens into the thousands.

How much of that is just collector stuff, or confirmation bias, or whatever people use to justify that sort of thing as opposed to actual objective quality or usability?
I hear that the quality REALLY is different between cheaper pens and really expensive ones. By now, I've spent enough on cheaper pens and also inks, that I could have bought a more expensive pen probably lol.. even my dream pen. But sometimes I like quantity over quality.. I like that I have like six different pens, different nibs, sizes, colors, etc, so I can switch around and play with them :) Oh, and have each filled with different ink too.

Offline iri

« Reply #1168 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 18:10:35 »
there is no direct correlation between a pen's price and its quality.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1169 on: Mon, 05 October 2015, 19:15:45 »
2015 Edison Pen Group Buy is alive! I think I'll buy the ebonite version. :)

Ugh I'm so tempted. I want an Edison pretty bad but I want that pump filler which is a budget slayer.

That 2015 pen is ugly as sin.  Yuuuck.. I'll take a FC40P any day over that.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline SL89

« Reply #1170 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 10:57:42 »

That is what I've found so far, which is why I wanted to ask. I know its subjective as all hell, but I've had just as many good experiences with my own army of freebie pens (noodlers non named and charlie) as I have my 'better' pens TWSBI Eco, and my friends Pelikans and Pilots.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1171 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 11:32:36 »
I think for me there's really three tiers of pens:

1) Affordable stuff under $100
2) Gold nib mid-tier pens at $150
3) Everything else

Problem is I play with both vintage and new so my pricing is skewed. I've paid $75 for a Mont Blanc 22 which has a gold nib.

So in general, I agree with iri. Price does not correlate with how a pen will perform.

That 2015 pen is ugly as sin.  Yuuuck.. I'll take a FC40P any day over that.

I just want an Edison tbh. I've really enjoyed all the ones I've tried. But as usual, what I like is really pricey :(.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1172 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:03:11 »

That is what I've found so far, which is why I wanted to ask. I know its subjective as all hell, but I've had just as many good experiences with my own army of freebie pens (noodlers non named and charlie) as I have my 'better' pens TWSBI Eco, and my friends Pelikans and Pilots.

Oddly enough my best pens have been absolute bargains. I think the best nib I've ever tried right out of the gate has been faber-castell.  CPTBadass turned me on to them for the quality of their nibs.  The 2nd best I ever tried was a soft-medium that CPTBadass owned.  Other than that just about every nib I've ever used other than well worn vintage nibs have not lived up to expectations or required some bit of work.  Every visconti I've owned has been inconsistent, my lamy 2000 required a bit of a tune-up, the first time I received my sailor nib it did not write at all and had to return it to nibs.com for a tune-up, and a lot of the noodlers I have owned required tuning to write comfortably.  My twsbi have, for the most part, been alright.  Because they seldom have interesting nibs I like to swap them out with Nemosine which are on the better side of OK.

My priorities in pens are filling/ink storage/pen dry out, nib, and materials/looks.  The way you fill/store ink in the pen is something you have to live with that affects how long you can write, the nib can be replaced... so it's not as important but it's so much better to have the experience of a good nib, and the body... well I love lots of shapes and sizes.  There has been no "right" body for me without there being exceptions to the rule.

That being said I have very little reason to believe paying more for a pen will do anything if the first two priorities of a pen aren't proven to be wonderful.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1173 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:42:18 »
You mention the Lamy 2000, that I something I was looking into getting. But all the reviews / posts are general griping or kvetching about it. Maybe it's a case of the good pens are just not spoken of (because the 'bad' ones are just the squeaky wheel getting the grease.) None of my pens surpass $75 at present, and I'm finding the ones that I really like probably never will. (Eyedropperz fa' lyfe) but the Lamy 2000 and its 'tier' are all rather expensive, but are they justifiably better / more well equipped / useful. I'm just not sure. I have no problem finding out, It was mostly just idle pondering. People expect Noodler's Pens to be tinkered with, and I feel like a lot of the naysaying may just be because people expect things like a Pilot VP to 'just work.'

If I had to prioritize what I want / need in a pen it would be this:

Capacity
Nib feel
Fill Mechanism
Durability

Overall with form following function.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1174 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:44:58 »
Faber Castell is seriously being slept on haha. And that Pilot 74 with the soft-medium is still with me. Wonderful pen.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 12:46:53 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1175 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 13:15:22 »
You mention the Lamy 2000, that I something I was looking into getting. But all the reviews / posts are general griping or kvetching about it. Maybe it's a case of the good pens are just not spoken of (because the 'bad' ones are just the squeaky wheel getting the grease.) None of my pens surpass $75 at present, and I'm finding the ones that I really like probably never will. (Eyedropperz fa' lyfe) but the Lamy 2000 and its 'tier' are all rather expensive, but are they justifiably better / more well equipped / useful. I'm just not sure. I have no problem finding out, It was mostly just idle pondering. People expect Noodler's Pens to be tinkered with, and I feel like a lot of the naysaying may just be because people expect things like a Pilot VP to 'just work.'

If I had to prioritize what I want / need in a pen it would be this:

Capacity
Nib feel
Fill Mechanism
Durability

Overall with form following function.

L2k is solid.  Just expect that the nib won't make you have blissful dreams.  If you get the nib worked on... well then it's pretty damn cool and far exceeds its own value.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 13:20:45 by Binge »

Offline SL89

« Reply #1176 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 13:31:54 »
I'm thinking L2K + Music Nib. Ever since you lot kind of showed me Nib work in general I've been thinking about it.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1177 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 13:35:50 »
I'm thinking L2K + Music Nib. Ever since you lot kind of showed me Nib work in general I've been thinking about it.

I don't believe the L2K comes in a music nib.  The reason is because the L2k has a specialty nib.  The shape and size are entirely unique and only made by LAMY.  Their sizes are F-B, and they might have a stub, but I have yet to see one retail with a stub nib.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1178 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 14:32:10 »
No i meant get a standard L2K (and extra nibs) and ship a couple out to get worked on.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1179 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 14:34:16 »
Can you hack a nib onto a Lamy 2000? I think that's where Binge was going. It's got that partially hooded nib that music nibs may not fit into. Music nibs are big three tined or two tined stub nibs which can be flexible or not. I'm not sure there are any music nibs that will fit. I could be wrong though, I'm no nib-hacking expert.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 14:36:31 by CPTBadAss »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1180 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 14:35:59 »
No i meant get a standard L2K (and extra nibs) and ship a couple out to get worked on.

Actual music nibs have 2 slits instead of one providing three tines.
You can just take a nib and turn it into a music nib.
I believe sailor has a single slit nib they call a music nib but I think it's probably a nib that only imitates how a music nib writes.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1181 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 14:38:24 »
Actual music nibs have 2 slits instead of one providing three tines.
You can just take a nib and turn it into a music nib.

Not really. If I took a Noodler pen and cut and extra slit in the nib, it wouldn't make the nib a music nib. Here's a really good article with pictures explaining how the nib of a music nib works.

I believe sailor has a single slit nib they call a music nib but I think it's probably a nib that only imitates how a music nib writes.

They do and I think it's not a true music nib. I always tend towards the three tine school of thought.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 14:40:53 by CPTBadAss »

Offline SL89

« Reply #1182 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 14:56:19 »
It's a total hypothetical at this point for me. I just want to graduate to something beyond where I am at that I can carry around at work. A friend of mine is sending me a Neponset to play around with for the time being that is rather sedate.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1183 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 16:33:12 »
I want to try a more expensive pen so bad lol The most expensive pen I've tried is my Faber-Castell Loom.. which was like $40 lol. I want to see the difference between a cheaper pen and a high end or mid tier one. I also wanna see the hype about VP's are all about lol.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1184 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 16:36:49 »
I want to try a more expensive pen so bad lol The most expensive pen I've tried is my Faber-Castell Loom.. which was like $40 lol. I want to see the difference between a cheaper pen and a high end or mid tier one. I also wanna see the hype about VP's are all about lol.

CPT likes his VP a lot more than I enjoyed mine..  Just don't get a fine/extra fine.  They're too wimpy for how boss the VP's body can be.

If you ever find yourself in PA just PM me and you can sample my entire collection.  Nothing for sale, but you'll get a great idea of everything from fine to weird broad/music variants.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1185 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 16:38:35 »

@Syribo Right there with you I got to play with a VP, it was very nice, and L2K is on the list and the Neponset of course. Right now the 'highest end' pen I have is the lowly TWSBI Eco which has been very nice, if a little broad for a 'medium.'

@Binge, what do you have regarding music nibs just out of curiosity. And can you tell me if there is any differences between Music / Hebrew / Architect / Arabic nibs. Cause I keep googling and just confusing myself.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1186 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 16:38:55 »
Hey hey, VPs have broad and a 1.0 stub nib now. I love my vp. It's my daily carry at work. No cap to mess with and low key. Perfect for a factory floor.

@SL89

Music nibs are actual standard nibs. Like a certain kind of nib. Check the links I dropped above.

The other three things you listed are various grinds you can get for a nib. They're all the same grind lol. It produces a thin vertical stroke and a fat cross stroke. Just flair for your handwriting. You could architect grind a broad or a fine. It's not a standard nib.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 16:41:33 by CPTBadAss »

Offline SL89

« Reply #1187 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 16:40:43 »
Music nibs are actually nibs.

The other three things you listed are various grinds you can get for a nib. They're all the same grind lol.

That makes sense. Now how do those ground nibs compare to a music nib? They all fulfill the same function right?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1188 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 16:41:50 »
See my edit.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1189 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 16:49:23 »
Thanks for clarifying that then!

What I was talking about way before (The Lamy 2k + Music Nib) was actually this. Getting a stock (Medium or Fine) L2K and having it ground to be an Architect.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1190 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 16:59:31 »

What I was talking about way before (The Lamy 2k + Music Nib) was actually this. Getting a stock (Medium or Fine) L2K and having it ground to be an Architect.

that's unfortunately not possible... architect, music, and other nibs which require a lot of metal can't be made from nibs that have less material unless they are re-tipped.  Nobody will re-tip a l2k unless you are friends with some sort of elder god.

L2K is a workhorse pen.  Rarely runs dry, holds lots of ink, but the nib will always be something plain-yet reliable.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1191 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 17:41:57 »
You know you are a lost case when you start getting your pens customized...

Long version:

More
Some months ago I found a black-red Pelikan Souverän M800 for sale on eBay. This color option is discontinued on the M800 line. I already had one, but the pen was being sold without the nib by a very good price. When it arrived, I immediately knew why it was cheap: a stiff piston mechanism and a scratched body.

I solved the piston stiffness by disassembling the piston mechanism and lubricating it. Good thing I had a TWSBI wrench, it is perfect for the job. I already had an spare nib, a 3B bought at Martini Auctions, so I had 2 functional pens.

I don't mind scratched pens, so I tried to trade the pen with the unscratched body for another M800 in other color, targeting primarily the blue version. No success.

Some months later, looking at unread posts at Fountain Pen Network, I saw a post from Shawn Newton telling that he can make a custom binde on Pelikan pens. The binde is an outer shell or sleeve that covers the body of the pens of the Souverän line, as you can see on this video. Sent him an email, talked about the possibilities, and when all was set sent him the pen. (Advanced payment for the service, btw.)

He finished the pen last Saturday and sent it back to me just few hours ago. He also sent me some photos by email and I'm already in love with the pen.

tl;dr version: Bought used M800 without nib, tried to trade, knew that Shawn from Newton Pens can customize them, sent the pen for him, got pen customized.

Photos of the pen Shawn sent for me:

More

113025-0

113027-1

Offline SL89

« Reply #1192 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:11:46 »

that's unfortunately not possible... architect, music, and other nibs which require a lot of metal can't be made from nibs that have less material unless they are re-tipped.  Nobody will re-tip a l2k unless you are friends with some sort of elder god.

L2K is a workhorse pen.  Rarely runs dry, holds lots of ink, but the nib will always be something plain-yet reliable.

Thanks for explaining that, ****it and all the fancy stuff, a workhorse is just what I want for work! I may just go on massdrop and get in on the one they have for sale right now...

EDIT: Vinny that is a beautiful looking pen

Also the L2K is off massdrop... oh well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:14:14 by SL89 »

Offline iri

« Reply #1193 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 19:15:00 »
pelikan m800 is also a workhorse

ta-da-da-daaaaaam
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Larken

« Reply #1194 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 22:25:56 »
imo, music nibs are just stubs with additional slits for increased ink delivery. In practical usage, a single slit stub ground with allowance for high writing angles, with a wet ink flow will write pretty much the same line as a music nib. Other than a technical difference in definition, there is no practical difference between a properly customized stub and a music nib.

Architect grinds can be done on L2K, depending on what requirements you have for the final result. It has been done on nibs with much smaller tipping sizes (read: a pilot medium - which is pretty much a western Fine; see link - http://edjelley.com/2015/07/13/pilot-custom-823-fountain-pen-with-architect-grind-review/). The L2K has more than enough tipping to do it, just consult the nibmeister you're planning to sent it to, and ask him which nib to use as a starting point for the resultant line you're looking at.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1195 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 01:17:30 »
There's a Massdrop for 2 packs of 7 fountain pens of different colours.  Disposable pens, but I'm ok with that.  The price is also within my budget (sort of), and a cheap way of getting a few different colour inks.

I'm still using my first two fountain pens, also disposable Pilots, although the one I use at work is getting low on ink.

Question 1: How long does a new unused fountain pen remain perfectly servicable?  Like if I buy these ones, I might not use some of them for 6 months or more.  Will they still be good at that time?

Question 2: Some of the colours I would not use often.  After use, assuming they were stored horizontally with the cap on, how long would they remain servicable?

Edit: The drop ended and I missed it, but the questions still stand in case it comes back again.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2015, 02:32:50 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1196 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 07:16:12 »
You know you are a lost case when you start getting your pens customized...

Long version:

More
Some months ago I found a black-red Pelikan Souverän M800 for sale on eBay. This color option is discontinued on the M800 line. I already had one, but the pen was being sold without the nib by a very good price. When it arrived, I immediately knew why it was cheap: a stiff piston mechanism and a scratched body.

I solved the piston stiffness by disassembling the piston mechanism and lubricating it. Good thing I had a TWSBI wrench, it is perfect for the job. I already had an spare nib, a 3B bought at Martini Auctions, so I had 2 functional pens.

I don't mind scratched pens, so I tried to trade the pen with the unscratched body for another M800 in other color, targeting primarily the blue version. No success.

Some months later, looking at unread posts at Fountain Pen Network, I saw a post from Shawn Newton telling that he can make a custom binde on Pelikan pens. The binde is an outer shell or sleeve that covers the body of the pens of the Souverän line, as you can see on this video. Sent him an email, talked about the possibilities, and when all was set sent him the pen. (Advanced payment for the service, btw.)

He finished the pen last Saturday and sent it back to me just few hours ago. He also sent me some photos by email and I'm already in love with the pen.

tl;dr version: Bought used M800 without nib, tried to trade, knew that Shawn from Newton Pens can customize them, sent the pen for him, got pen customized.

Photos of the pen Shawn sent for me:

More

Oooo I saw that on his instagram!! What a nice pen.

There's a Massdrop for 2 packs of 7 fountain pens of different colours.  Disposable pens, but I'm ok with that.  The price is also within my budget (sort of), and a cheap way of getting a few different colour inks.

I'm still using my first two fountain pens, also disposable Pilots, although the one I use at work is getting low on ink.

Question 1: How long does a new unused fountain pen remain perfectly servicable?  Like if I buy these ones, I might not use some of them for 6 months or more.  Will they still be good at that time?

Question 2: Some of the colours I would not use often.  After use, assuming they were stored horizontally with the cap on, how long would they remain servicable?

Edit: The drop ended and I missed it, but the questions still stand in case it comes back again.

Should work just like a ballpoint in terms of storage. I leave one of those sitting at my desk and don't use it for months. Works like a charm every time. Doesn't matter what the orientation is. I've stored them both ways.

Like Larken said, you can get a fine architect nib. Just check out @thenibsmith on Instagram.

Offline iri

« Reply #1197 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:49:07 »
Does anyone here use ink rollerballs?

Or high end gel refills?

I was recently told that high end gel refills can compete with fountain pens. Is this true?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1198 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 09:50:37 »

Or high end gel refills?

I was recently told that high end gel refills can compete with fountain pens. Is this true?

I do. I just picked one up for a pen I was gifted. I prefer fountain pens but rollerballs are *really* smooth. I'm not into gel refills but I've heard good things about them.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1199 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 11:13:31 »

Or high end gel refills?

I use hitec-c refills in my pen and absolutely love it. Super smooth and very fine lines.
Planck w/ Zealios