Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427496 times)

Offline graefeln

Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1250 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 19:08:58 »
Ordered my first fountain pen tonight: TWSBI 580AL (purple). I can't wait for it to get here and try it out - you guys have got me thinking I need to give this fountain pen thing a try.
Even if I hate writing with it, that thing is just beautiful to keep around...

Offline Syribo

• I like coffee and pink things.
« Reply #1251 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 23:01:12 »
Okay so who else wants to be pen pals? I've got CptBadAss's letter and ink samples ready to go out soon, and a letter to another friend, but now I need more! I'm up to like.. 8 pens and 60 sample vials of ink, and 9 full bottles, along with countless paper, notebooks and stationery. I need more people to write to to use it up haha.

Ducky Shine 4        CM Storm QFR

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1252 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 23:38:11 »
Having a pen pal would be cool but I have no idea how shipping between Canada and the States would affect postage.
It would be a great excuse to buy lots of new inks to show off though. And new pens.
Really I just need to justify my addiction with a use for it.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1253 on: Thu, 15 October 2015, 23:50:42 »
Having a pen pal would be cool but I have no idea how shipping between Canada and the States would affect postage.
It would be a great excuse to buy lots of new inks to show off though. And new pens.
Shouldn't be too expensive to send just a letter between the US and Canada. I know it's expensive to ship packages, though. I sent a care package to my best friend in Canada and it cost me like $80 to send it last year. But a letter? I would imagine it's just a few bucks at most :)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1254 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 00:28:40 »
Shouldn't be too expensive to send just a letter between the US and Canada. I know it's expensive to ship packages, though. I sent a care package to my best friend in Canada and it cost me like $80 to send it last year. But a letter? I would imagine it's just a few bucks at most :)
Nice. It would definitely be cool to have a person to write to which would give purpose to my writing and a few dollars is of no expense to me.
Other than my journal entries -which I sometimes forget to write- I don't really get something meaningful to gear my fine writing towards.
While I almost always take notes during class with my fountain pen it's not something I really pour my mind into.

The only downside I see from this would be eager wait to receive a response.  :p

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1255 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 00:57:39 »
Nice. It would definitely be cool to have a person to write to which would give purpose to my writing and a few dollars is of no expense to me.
Other than my journal entries -which I sometimes forget to write- I don't really get something meaningful to gear my fine writing towards.
While I almost always take notes during class with my fountain pen it's not something I really pour my mind into.

The only downside I see from this would be eager wait to receive a response.  :p
Send me a message and we can trade addresses and send letters :D I get some more ink tomorrow and wanna play with it haha.

Anyone getting the Diamine Shimmertastic inks? I got some samples of each to try. Only thing that sucks is only Goulet had them in.. and they have 2ml samples. I wish Anderson had them in, their 3ml samples for the same price as Goulet's is awesome.

Offline iri

« Reply #1256 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 08:17:42 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 October 2015, 08:36:50 by iri »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1257 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 08:22:55 »

USPS Postage for First Class International Mail is $1.20. So it would cost Syribo $1.20 a stamp to mail a letter to you Frosty. This is what I pay to mail Tactile. I don't know Canadian Postage.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1258 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 12:41:53 »

USPS Postage for First Class International Mail is $1.20. So it would cost Syribo $1.20 a stamp to mail a letter to you Frosty. This is what I pay to mail Tactile. I don't know Canadian Postage.

Nice. I wouldn't know the cost either but I'm sure that the postage won't be too far off.
Fortunately the states is still on the same continent as Canada.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1259 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 13:38:33 »
I've always wanted a nice pen, but I don't think my handwriting is good enough to justify the purchase. Also, how do you not lose them! I take my pens with me everywhere and often forget them at meetings, or they're borrowed out (in some cases...they seem to simply vanish).

I suspect paying hundreds of dollars for one might help in terms of keeping a close eye on it and making sure it never leaves it's proper place, but I would still be paranoid.
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1260 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 12:18:10 »
Ordered my first fountain pen tonight: TWSBI 580AL (purple). I can't wait for it to get here and try it out - you guys have got me thinking I need to give this fountain pen thing a try.

Hold the phone, where did you find a purple TWSBI 580AL?? I have a TWSBI Vac700 in Medium and a Pelikan M200 in Fine now. I absolutely adore both. Fountain pens are the way to go! I can't wait to grade papers with my fountain pens. I'll switch up colors every week or so to keep things interesting for my students too :D

I've always wanted a nice pen, but I don't think my handwriting is good enough to justify the purchase. Also, how do you not lose them! I take my pens with me everywhere and often forget them at meetings, or they're borrowed out (in some cases...they seem to simply vanish).

I suspect paying hundreds of dollars for one might help in terms of keeping a close eye on it and making sure it never leaves it's proper place, but I would still be paranoid.

I'm really great at losing things, especially pens. I always place my fountain pens in the same spot. They're either in my pocket, my bag, or in my hand. I also don't have really good cursive script handwriting, but using a fountain pen has made it more enjoyable to practice, which has helped out my handwriting immensely. Even if you don't go with an expensive pen, they're still a good time! I'd recommend picking up a Pilot Metropolitan in either Medium or Fine and giving it a go. I bought some of those as my first pens (Massdrop two packs) and got hooked. Now I use a fountain pen as my daily driver.

Okay so who else wants to be pen pals? I've got CptBadAss's letter and ink samples ready to go out soon, and a letter to another friend, but now I need more! I'm up to like.. 8 pens and 60 sample vials of ink, and 9 full bottles, along with countless paper, notebooks and stationery. I need more people to write to to use it up haha.

I'd love to be pen pals! Any chance I get to use some ink and practice my script is a chance worth taking! My Bungbox inks should be here today. My TWSBI has been cleaned and emptied in preparation. Now I just need someone to write to with it ;).
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 October 2015, 12:22:43 by THSdrummer »

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline graefeln

« Reply #1261 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 13:38:44 »

Hold the phone, where did you find a purple TWSBI 580AL?? I have a TWSBI Vac700 in Medium and a Pelikan M200 in Fine now. I absolutely adore both. Fountain pens are the way to go! I can't wait to grade papers with my fountain pens. I'll switch up colors every week or so to keep things interesting for my students too :D

I found it where I find most things: Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WL07DI4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It is sold by TWSBI however, and is also available on their site.
I am a sucker for purple myself...

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1262 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 20:49:28 »

I'd love to be pen pals! Any chance I get to use some ink and practice my script is a chance worth taking! My Bungbox inks should be here today. My TWSBI has been cleaned and emptied in preparation. Now I just need someone to write to with it ;).
[/quote]
Message me your address and I'll send ya mine too :) The more letters the better, I have so many pens and inks and stationery.. I need to use it up haha.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1263 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 22:27:43 »
I just decided to order a pretty decent sized order from Goulet Pens.
Diamine Oxblood
De Atramentis Ferdinand von Zeppelin
2 A4 Rhodia dotpads
Goulet Pen Cleaning kit

Excited about the inks specifically.
The A4 dotpads will be used for letters since I'm not quite so sure that my A5 pages will be large enough. A single word in calligraphy would take up a fifth of the page alone  :))

@Syribo: I sent you a PM. Don't know if you caught it or not.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1264 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 23:10:37 »
Diamine Oxblood
2 A4 Rhodia dotpads
Goulet Pen Cleaning kit

The A4 dotpads will be used for letters since I'm not quite so sure that my A5 pages will be large enough. A single word in calligraphy would take up a fifth of the page alone  :))

I got it! I thought I replied, but I realized I only replied in the thread, not the message haha my brain feels fried lately!

I LOVE those Rhodia dot pads. I have the A4 one too, I use it for just random doodling, lettering, testing out pens. I have an A5 premimum Rhodia notepad that I haven't used yet, as well as an ~A6 sized graph Rhodia pad.. I freaking love Rhodia. For writing letters, I switch between using the Clairefontaine Triomphe stationery, and my favorite stationery... G Lalo <3 It's toothy, but it feels so nice and looks beautiful. I still am so thankful to the person who sent it to me :)

I just recently got a Jinhao x750, and a Goulet 1.1mm stub nib to replace the stock nib. I wanted to see how this Jinhao model would fair against my other more expensive pens and wow.. it's amazing, actually. The nib on it writes A LOT thicker and wetter than my 1.1 stub nib on my Lamy Vista, though. Really weird. I'll do a writing sample and take a picture, it's incredibly different.

I'm waiting on an Anderson and Goulet order.. with the new Diamine Shimmer inks in sample vials.. I am so excited to try them. I had to get another vial holder though, because the 50 vial holder I have is full LOL.

You know, I wonder how much it would cost to send a medium flat-rate USPS envelope to Canada.. I have samples of a few inks I'm sending to CptBadAss and I would love to send you some to try too, if you are interested in any of the colors I have in full bottles :) Like Emerald of Chivor, which I have been giving samples to some friends to try, because it's SO pretty!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1265 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 23:18:31 »
Diamine Oxblood
2 A4 Rhodia dotpads
Goulet Pen Cleaning kit

I got it! I thought I replied, but I realized I only replied in the thread, not the message haha my brain feels fried lately!

I LOVE those Rhodia dot pads. I have the A4 one too, I use it for just random doodling, lettering, testing out pens. I have an A5 premimum Rhodia notepad that I haven't used yet, as well as an ~A6 sized graph Rhodia pad.. I freaking love Rhodia. For writing letters, I switch between using the Clairefontaine Triomphe stationery, and my favorite stationery... G Lalo <3 It's toothy, but it feels so nice and looks beautiful. I still am so thankful to the person who sent it to me :)

I just recently got a Jinhao x750, and a Goulet 1.1mm stub nib to replace the stock nib. I wanted to see how this Jinhao model would fair against my other more expensive pens and wow.. it's amazing, actually. The nib on it writes A LOT thicker and wetter than my 1.1 stub nib on my Lamy Vista, though. Really weird. I'll do a writing sample and take a picture, it's incredibly different.

I'm waiting on an Anderson and Goulet order.. with the new Diamine Shimmer inks in sample vials.. I am so excited to try them. I had to get another vial holder though, because the 50 vial holder I have is full LOL.

You know, I wonder how much it would cost to send a medium flat-rate USPS envelope to Canada.. I have samples of a few inks I'm sending to CptBadAss and I would love to send you some to try too, if you are interested in any of the colors I have in full bottles :) Like Emerald of Chivor, which I have been giving samples to some friends to try, because it's SO pretty!

I can't get over how superficial I am. I have this weird vendetta against any and all Chinese pens.
I just see the Jinhao knockoffs and get turned off in a major way.

Rhodia is great. I like a little more feedback in my writing and Rhodia is already so smooth to me. The one issue I have is that no matter what paper you get it still warps from moisture.

Emerald of Chivor looks so absolutely gorgeous. If you send me a sample I will send my next letter using that ink. Probably with my flexy waterman too so that you can see the shading in full effect.
Shipping untracked shouldn't be insane. Tracking seems to be what jacks up the price for intl. shipping.
I'll send back whichever inks I have on me. An ink for an ink  ;D

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1266 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 23:45:34 »
Diamine Oxblood
2 A4 Rhodia dotpads
Goulet Pen Cleaning kit

I can't get over how superficial I am. I have this weird vendetta against any and all Chinese pens.
I just see the Jinhao knockoffs and get turned off in a major way.

Rhodia is great. I like a little more feedback in my writing and Rhodia is already so smooth to me. The one issue I have is that no matter what paper you get it still warps from moisture.

Emerald of Chivor looks so absolutely gorgeous. If you send me a sample I will send my next letter using that ink. Probably with my flexy waterman too so that you can see the shading in full effect.
Shipping untracked shouldn't be insane. Tracking seems to be what jacks up the price for intl. shipping.
I'll send back whichever inks I have on me. An ink for an ink  ;D

Haha sounds like a deal! I was originally against getting a Jinhao because I figured they HAD to be crappy, as they're so cheap.. and knockoffs.. but.. Honestly? This pen feels amazing haha. I can't believe how smooth it writes. I think it's mainly because of the Goulet nib I put on it. I also have a Jinhao 159 and while it writes really smooth, it runs kinda dry? I'm not sure how to explain it. It writes very light with a lot of inks. But it has the stock nib on it. Though the stock nib actually has a decent amount of flex to it, which I was surprised at. I may switch it out with another stub nib sometime.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1267 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 08:49:34 »

I found it where I find most things: Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WL07DI4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It is sold by TWSBI however, and is also available on their site.

Interesting. I suppose it's been a while since I've looked into getting another pen. That pen looks great! I'm a sucker for a nice deep purple. I want to keep all my pens demonstrators too. I just love the functionality of seeing the ink. Let us know how it writes and performs!

EDIT: I wanted to share this, without a double post. I'm really happy with this pick up! I started the Bungbox poll on Massdrop that eventually made it to a group buy! I had the inks shipped to my home in case they took a while to arrive and I wasn't at my college address anymore. Well, they arrived several weeks back. My mom told me I had a Massdrop package and I knew immediately what they were, but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to write with them for quite some time. I don't have a chance to go home for a couple months, and my parents wouldn't be down here - at least I thought at the time. Well, they were able to make it down, and I requested they bring my box. I was not disappointed! Although I haven't inked up the Norwegian Wood ink yet, the Ink of the Witch is gorgeous. It makes me want to get a broad nibbed pen and do some fancy lettering. Fantastic shading, with a dark, rich purple color showing through once it dries. I love it.

« Last Edit: Sun, 18 October 2015, 11:35:14 by THSdrummer »

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1268 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 17:43:32 »

Interesting. I suppose it's been a while since I've looked into getting another pen. That pen looks great! I'm a sucker for a nice deep purple. I want to keep all my pens demonstrators too. I just love the functionality of seeing the ink. Let us know how it writes and performs!

EDIT: I wanted to share this, without a double post. I'm really happy with this pick up! I started the Bungbox poll on Massdrop that eventually made it to a group buy! I had the inks shipped to my home in case they took a while to arrive and I wasn't at my college address anymore. Well, they arrived several weeks back. My mom told me I had a Massdrop package and I knew immediately what they were, but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to write with them for quite some time. I don't have a chance to go home for a couple months, and my parents wouldn't be down here - at least I thought at the time. Well, they were able to make it down, and I requested they bring my box. I was not disappointed! Although I haven't inked up the Norwegian Wood ink yet, the Ink of the Witch is gorgeous. It makes me want to get a broad nibbed pen and do some fancy lettering. Fantastic shading, with a dark, rich purple color showing through once it dries. I love it.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh my Goddd.. I want to try the BungBox inks soooo bad. I wish someone sold samples of them, because all I can ever find is full bottles that cost like $40 lol. Ink of the Witch is on my must try list of inks gaaaah.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1269 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 20:52:42 »
Does a fountain pen give much signs that it is about to run out of ink?

My first one is a disposable, and the reservoir appears empty, but it is still writing well.

Do they sputter or fade for a while, or just stop?

"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1270 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 21:03:02 »

My first one is a disposable, and the reservoir appears empty, but it is still writing well.

The ink may have hard starts.
The ink will also slowly run drier as it gets harder for the feed to gather more ink.
Lines that you make while using a dry pen will be much lighter and very noticeable.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1271 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 21:10:24 »

The ink will also slowly run drier as it gets harder for the feed to gather more ink.
Lines that you make while using a dry pen will be much lighter and very noticeable.

So far it looks about the same as it did a couple of months ago.

Looking back through my notebooks at work, I started using this pen on 07-May-2015, so it's lasted just over 5 months.  Not bad for a $6 disposable Pilot :)

Edit: Update - it just ran out.  Lasted 5 months 12 days.  It just stopped writing in the middle of an '8'.

Backup fountain pen (the second of the pair) has been deployed.
« Last Edit: Sun, 18 October 2015, 22:56:55 by rowdy »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1272 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 23:47:18 »

Looking back through my notebooks at work, I started using this pen on 07-May-2015, so it's lasted just over 5 months.  Not bad for a $6 disposable Pilot :)

Edit: Update - it just ran out.  Lasted 5 months 12 days.  It just stopped writing in the middle of an '8'.

Have you done a quick dip in a glass of water?
Sometimes you can further the life of a pen by doing so.

Also, I got this beauty in the mail on Friday.
Potato:

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1273 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 01:03:05 »

Also, I got this beauty in the mail on Friday.
Potato:
Show Image

Gaaaaaaah I want a Visconti!!! I still have the Visconti Venus Marbled Rose fountain pen sooo bad.  One daaaay.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1274 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 01:59:26 »
Gaaaaaaah I want a Visconti!!! I still have the Visconti Venus Marbled Rose fountain pen sooo bad.  One daaaay.

Would it help you to resist by saying that Visconti nibs are terrible performers?
I know that Binge has issues with them and I found that my nib requires actual pressure to write.
The tines need to be spread with pressure since they are too close at the tip; too much pressure to be comfortable. This makes for a quite fatiguing writing experience and is not enjoyable.
When I write with the pen I don't necessarily notice the pressure I am using to write. But then I switch to my other pens and it feels heavenly by comparison.
Fortunately they did a decent job with the tipping on tubular nibs.

Although to be fair, that same pen is on my wishlist too.
I have a huge weak spot when it comes to rose gold.

Offline iri

« Reply #1275 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 04:22:04 »
Italian pens, like Italians themselves, are unpredictable.

Pilot VPens hold quite a bit of ink. Also the finer the nib, the less is ink consumption.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1276 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 04:40:14 »

Pilot VPens hold quite a bit of ink. Also the finer the nib, the less is ink consumption.

No, I'm, not really that bothered about it for a $6 disposable.  It did far better than I was expecting, and lasted much longer.

I have another disposable Pilot (it was a two pack), and two Pilot Metropolitans :)

Plus there are a few of those Pilot Varsity packs left on Massdrop, tempting ...

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1277 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 07:47:05 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh my Goddd.. I want to try the BungBox inks soooo bad. I wish someone sold samples of them, because all I can ever find is full bottles that cost like $40 lol. Ink of the Witch is on my must try list of inks gaaaah.

Oh, I definitely recommend BungBox now that I've finally inked up and tried one! It's difficult, since you have to translate and navigate their website. Waiting for group buys is the best way IMO. Either way, you kind of have to dive headfirst and buy a full bottle. I was just happy we could get Massdrop to do a drop. Ink of the Witch is a great ink. I seriously love it. BungBox had a special edition pink as well, but Massdrop wasn't able to offer it (I think it was limited to 100 bottles worldwide).

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline graefeln

« Reply #1278 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 09:53:41 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Oh, I definitely recommend BungBox now that I've finally inked up and tried one! It's difficult, since you have to translate and navigate their website. Waiting for group buys is the best way IMO. Either way, you kind of have to dive headfirst and buy a full bottle. I was just happy we could get Massdrop to do a drop. Ink of the Witch is a great ink. I seriously love it. BungBox had a special edition pink as well, but Massdrop wasn't able to offer it (I think it was limited to 100 bottles worldwide).

Ink of the Witch is beautiful. I requested a redrop on MassDrop (it's at 224 now), so hopefully it will eventually come back. Do you happen to remember how much it sold for last time?
My first bottle of ink also arrived this morning: Emerald of Chivor (J. Herbin 1670). I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of my pen tomorrow (according to the tracking).

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1279 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 11:08:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Ink of the Witch is beautiful. I requested a redrop on MassDrop (it's at 224 now), so hopefully it will eventually come back. Do you happen to remember how much it sold for last time?
My first bottle of ink also arrived this morning: Emerald of Chivor (J. Herbin 1670). I am impatiently awaiting the arrival of my pen tomorrow (according to the tracking).

Isn't that a glittery ink? What pen and nib size will you be using it in? I have Stormy Grey. That Emerald of Chivor is droll worthy. I want a bottle so bad.

I believe Massdrop sold 2 bottles of BungBox ink for ~$71 + shipping. Since they already did the sell once, I definitely see it being a returning item. I'd request a redrop if it, but I don't have any cash to participate right now (otherwise, I really want a bottle of their Sapphire ink).

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline graefeln

« Reply #1280 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 12:27:32 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Isn't that a glittery ink? What pen and nib size will you be using it in? I have Stormy Grey. That Emerald of Chivor is droll worthy. I want a bottle so bad.

I believe Massdrop sold 2 bottles of BungBox ink for ~$71 + shipping. Since they already did the sell once, I definitely see it being a returning item. I'd request a redrop if it, but I don't have any cash to participate right now (otherwise, I really want a bottle of their Sapphire ink).

Should be a glittery ink - green with gold flecks. I am using it in the 580al I mentioned earlier with an extra-fine nib. I have a tendency to write small and, this being my first fountain pen, thought that would be the best choice - even if it doesn't allow the ink to really "show off". I have considered ordering a 1.1 stub from TWSBI to try out, but figured I would see how the extra-fine goes first.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1281 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 14:40:26 »

Should be a glittery ink - green with gold flecks. I am using it in the 580al I mentioned earlier with an extra-fine nib. I have a tendency to write small and, this being my first fountain pen, thought that would be the best choice - even if it doesn't allow the ink to really "show off". I have considered ordering a 1.1 stub from TWSBI to try out, but figured I would see how the extra-fine goes first.

I was going to suggest a wide nib for that ink. I used a Pilot Metro in medium for my stormy grey and it didn't shine as well as it could. So I mention the nib size for that reason, as well as, some people have had an issue with the feeding system clogging from the gold flakes. That was the reason I decided to only ink up a Pilot Metro with my stormy grey. It shouldn't be terrible. It should just be something you're aware of so as not to leave your pen sitting nib side down for a long time and have the gold flakes settle in the feeding system. Nevertheless, that pen and ink should be spectacular!

I've highly considered the 580AL, but I think I'm more after a Pilot Heritage 92 Demonstrator of a Pelikan M805 Demonstrator. I'm leaning the Pilot's direction for now.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline graefeln

« Reply #1282 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 15:56:59 »

I was going to suggest a wide nib for that ink.

Well, you've convinced me. I found a site (from Singapore - so there will be a wait) that seems to carry the 1.5mm Stub for the 580 and I am looking into placing an order (I placed it, but the site says they will email later to confirm payment/shipping); if that falls through for some reason I will go for a 1.1mm Stub since I can't seem to find any other sites selling the 1.5.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1283 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 18:34:03 »
Definitely use the Emerald of Chivor in a medium nib if you can. I've used it in every nib of mine, but it really was meh in a fine nib. It's GORGEOUS in a 1.1mm stub nib. Can actually see all the gold flecks and sheen. BTW, that's one ink you definitely want to shake up the bottle before you fill your pen. My first time using it, I didn't shake the bottle and my pen only wrote in the main base color.. no gold, no sheen. So I have to shake it up a ton beforehand.

My two packages just got here today yay! Diamine shimmer inks :D I'm about to mess with them, so excited to see how they are!

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #1284 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 18:36:29 »

Well, you've convinced me. I found a site (from Singapore - so there will be a wait) that seems to carry the 1.5mm Stub for the 580 and I am looking into placing an order (I placed it, but the site says they will email later to confirm payment/shipping); if that falls through for some reason I will go for a 1.1mm Stub since I can't seem to find any other sites selling the 1.5.

i would recommend swapping out with one of Goulet nibs..................

TWSBI nibs are friction fit and will pull out with a good tug

i have a few of their nibs and they are very smooth :cool:
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1285 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 18:42:47 »
I like the Eco so far since it's a really cool pen, but the nib feels worse than my Pilot Metro nib and Lamy Safari even though it cost 50% more than each of those pens.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #1286 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 18:52:10 »
Definitely use the Emerald of Chivor in a medium nib if you can. I've used it in every nib of mine, but it really was meh in a fine nib. It's GORGEOUS in a 1.1mm stub nib. Can actually see all the gold flecks and sheen. BTW, that's one ink you definitely want to shake up the bottle before you fill your pen. My first time using it, I didn't shake the bottle and my pen only wrote in the main base color.. no gold, no sheen. So I have to shake it up a ton beforehand.

My two packages just got here today yay! Diamine shimmer inks :D I'm about to mess with them, so excited to see how they are!

Which colors did you go for? I want to try the purple pizzazz myself. My mother-in-law went to the UK to visit her daughter (Birmingham I believe) and I asked her to keep an eye out; thought they may be easier to find there.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #1287 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 18:56:15 »

Thanks for the heads-up. If this order falls through, or if I decide to try another size, I will certainly keep this in mind.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1288 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 19:03:39 »
I like the Eco so far since it's a really cool pen, but the nib feels worse than my Pilot Metro nib and Lamy Safari even though it cost 50% more than each of those pens.

I hate it when that happens.  Pilot makes some damn fine pen nibs as does lamy on their budget stuff.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1289 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 19:07:20 »
I hardly write anything since getting a new job that doesn't involve taking messages or writing addresses on envelopes so as my pens break I just set them aside rather than getting them fixed.  The third and final one is nearly snapped where the section joins the body - it's surprisingly comfortable to use but can't last much longer!

My writing was never good but it's definitely getting worse, does anyone want a really long distance penpal so I have a reason to fix my pens and retain what's left of my writing's legibility?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1290 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 19:32:27 »

+1 to Goulet nibs. I think (don't quote me on this) that the TWSBI uses a size 6 nib. I was playing with the idea of ordering a stub and an extra fine nib to play around with my Vac700 and decide which size I'd get in my next pen (leaning extra fine for the Pilot. I need to write small numbers at my work). Plus, the stub would be more fun with my stormy grey.

Size 6 nibs might be the Vac700 size.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1291 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 20:07:13 »
+1 to Goulet nibs. I think (don't quote me on this) that the TWSBI uses a size 6 nib. I was playing with the idea of ordering a stub and an extra fine nib to play around with my Vac700 and decide which size I'd get in my next pen (leaning extra fine for the Pilot. I need to write small numbers at my work). Plus, the stub would be more fun with my stormy grey.

Size 6 nibs might be the Vac700 size.
Vac700 uses #6 nibs, 580 uses #5 nibs. Don't know about the Eco.

And I love my broad & 1.5mm Goulet nibs.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Larken

« Reply #1293 on: Mon, 19 October 2015, 21:25:03 »
The Eco uses the same nib as the Mini and Classic, which is still a #5, but the nib is smaller and shorter than the #5 found in the 580. Goulet has said that their own nibs cannot be swapped into the Eco.

http://blog.gouletpens.com/2015/07/answering-your-twsbi-eco-questions.html

Imo, check if the nib tines are aligned and perhaps consider tuning it yourself.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1294 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 02:34:40 »

Which colors did you go for? I want to try the purple pizzazz myself. My mother-in-law went to the UK to visit her daughter (Birmingham I believe) and I asked her to keep an eye out; thought they may be easier to find there.
I actually bought a sample bottle of all of the new ones. Just tried out Purple Pazzazz, really gorgeous.. a TON of gold sheen to it, wow! I'm trying them all out in my stub nibs and flex nib. Blue Lightning I put in my Ahab flex, sooo gorgeous too.. but it takes forever to dry because that pen writes so wet, and for some reason that makes it write even wetter.

Next I'm gonna try Red Lustre.

I'm having a real strange issue though.. I even emailed Goulet about it. I know that nibs vary  a lot, and there's no way EVERY nib can be exactly the same as another. However... the difference between these two is pretty astounding.

On the left is my Lamy Vista with a Lamy 1.1mm stub nib I got from Anderson recently. LOVE it. So I decided to get a pink Safari with a 1.1mm stub nib, I love that pink Safari.. so I did. On the right is my Safari I got today, from Goulet. They're both supposed to be 1.1mm but.. you can clearly see the one on the right is WAY wider. Not even just a tiny bit, but a marginal amount. It's nothing like my Vista, and it's a little too wide for my tastes so I was bummed.

Someone in a FP group posted a picture of their two Safari's side by side.. a 1.1mm nib and a 1.5mm nib, check them out:

They look EXACTLY like my two. I'm pretty sure my Safari's nib is mislabeled as a 1.1mm, but it's actually 1.5mm. Lamy must have messed up with the labeling on it. I emailed Goulet about it to see if it's normal or if there's anything I should do. It's just so damn wide :( The Vista's nib is perfect.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #1295 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 03:48:02 »
That is some lovely hand writing Syribo!!!

Offline Larken

« Reply #1296 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 05:06:25 »

I'm guessing Straitspens?

If you're based in the US, you could consider getting nibs from franklin-christoph. Their #5 nibs (1.1 and 1.4mm stubs) will fit a 580 (tested; I'm using one of their nibs in a TWSBI right now) and their #6 nibs should fit a VAC700 (1.1, 1.5 and a 1.9 music nib). Their nibs are interchangeable if you pull it out from their unit, but if you're planning to swap the entire nib unit into a TWSBI, there's a slight length difference that can be corrected with a small O-ring.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline iri

« Reply #1297 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 05:53:19 »
I bought Platinum Plaisir. The nib is great, the body is too slippery.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline graefeln

« Reply #1298 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 06:10:57 »

I'm guessing Straitspens?

If you're based in the US, you could consider getting nibs from franklin-christoph. Their #5 nibs (1.1 and 1.4mm stubs) will fit a 580 (tested; I'm using one of their nibs in a TWSBI right now) and their #6 nibs should fit a VAC700 (1.1, 1.5 and a 1.9 music nib). Their nibs are interchangeable if you pull it out from their unit, but if you're planning to swap the entire nib unit into a TWSBI, there's a slight length difference that can be corrected with a small O-ring.

It was going to be from overjoyed.com.sg, but with shipping (almost bought another bottle of ink to get free shipping) plus delivery time, I decided to try a Franklin-Christoph like you mentioned. I figured this way, along with experiencing a different size nib, I would get to experience a different brand as well - try a few things out before eventually buying another pen.

Offline Larken

« Reply #1299 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 07:30:50 »
It was going to be from overjoyed.com.sg, but with shipping (almost bought another bottle of ink to get free shipping) plus delivery time, I decided to try a Franklin-Christoph like you mentioned. I figured this way, along with experiencing a different size nib, I would get to experience a different brand as well - try a few things out before eventually buying another pen.
ah, I see. Not the best place to buy from if you're not in Singapore.

Franklin-Christoph and TWSBI uses the same manufacturer for nibs (JoWo). Afaik, they're just nibs with different imprints.

Here's a picture of said TWSBI with the entire FC nib unit. You can see an extra black line between the metal collar and the pen body itself; that's the O-Ring I had to add, as without it, there was some play between the collar and the rest of the pen.