Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427475 times)

Offline Syribo

• I like coffee and pink things.
Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1350 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 19:19:06 »
Has anyone tried the Tomoe River paper yet? I want to try it sometime.. I know it's really thin, but supposed to be good for fountain pens. It's really expensive though, which is why I haven't tried it yet.. but.. I really really want to lol

I love Tomoe River and SN^2 paper.  They are my #2 and #1.

What do you typically find is your purpose for writing? What helps you select which paper to use?

Honest questions. I'd love to pick up some better paper, but it would be strictly for pen pals, and I'm not sure how I'd pick one paper over another at this point. On a side note, the stationary at my work is incredibly nice, but it's a grid, so not a great writing paper. Lovely weight though.
I just got your letter today :) I'm going to start writing a reply ASAP to you. I love that Ink of the Witch ahhhh... I really really wish that some places would sell the Bung Box inks in samples so I could try them out.

Right now I have a few different papers I have solely for writing letters. The G. Lalo stationery I really wanted to try out because I heard the texture is great, and the pink is a nice subtle pretty color. Clairefontaine Triomphe I bought because I've seen it phrased A LOT as amazing fountain pen stationery. I have a premium Rhodia pad that I also have to write letters, but  haven't used yet.

I really wanna try the Tomoe River paper, and Original Crown Mill's stationery too. I'm a sucker for pretty and nice paper :) Aside from the G. Lalo stationery, everything else I have is ruled. I just place a lined guide sheet underneath the paper when I write and can write pretty straight with it. I really like dot grid, but never seen any kind of stationery with dot grid. Always blank or lined.

I'm sad, my Esterbrook from eBay got sent to the wrong address. I forgot that the last time I used my eBay account, it was to send something to my sister. I never changed the address and it went to her house, damn it lol. Gonna have to wait a bit til I get it!

Ducky Shine 4        CM Storm QFR

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1351 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 19:21:31 »
I write to get ideas out and connect with my words.  I do pen pal with folks. My requirements for paper are all about how well ink flows to the paper and how it looks.  Both papers I mentioned work fantastically with my pens and inks.  My 3rd favorite paper is Rhodia R.  SN^2 paper is not coated and still performs.  If you do anything with heavy flow you will appreciate it.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1352 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 22:24:04 »
I have to say thanks Syribo.  I just got my sample bag today.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1353 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:01:56 »
You got in on the Isellpens sale? Man I can't wait to get all of mine Monday or Tuesday. I missed out on the 25 cent ones.. but got a ton of 50 cent and 75 cent samples! Totally worth the money. Even better that they're 3ml and not 2ml like Goulet does. That's why I prefer getting my samples from Anderson. That extra 1ml seems like A LOT :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1354 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 23:12:19 »
You got in on the Isellpens sale? Man I can't wait to get all of mine Monday or Tuesday. I missed out on the 25 cent ones.. but got a ton of 50 cent and 75 cent samples! Totally worth the money. Even better that they're 3ml and not 2ml like Goulet does. That's why I prefer getting my samples from Anderson. That extra 1ml seems like A LOT :)

Yeah, I got a bunch of the 0.50-0.75 ones too.  Most of the ones I really wanted were sold out, but there were still some awesome colors.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1355 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:48:16 »

I got my ink samples from that sale.. I regret nothing. Now to inventory them all and put them in order with my others :x :x

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1356 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 16:21:33 »
Just in case anyone cares I have an update on my shiny old Parker.  After a night of soaking I tried again to undo it (I have no cool section pliers or spare bicycle tube so had to rely on my fingers) and managed to snap the black bit off the bottom.

Turns out the barrel is made up of a black plastic liner to which the gold outer tube is glued, and the glue had given up leaving the gold to spin freely.  It wasn't cross threaded so came apart easily revealing some pretty clean innards and a non leaky but very blue sac

Now all I need is some superglue to put it back together and a gold-tone ink (I try and match the ink to the pen's colour) and it will be back in action.  I think this is the one colour missing from your extensive sample collection Syribo :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1357 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 17:10:25 »
Show Image

I got my ink samples from that sale.. I regret nothing. Now to inventory them all and put them in order with my others :x :x

So jealous.  This was my score:

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1358 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:47:13 »
Just in case anyone cares I have an update on my shiny old Parker.  After a night of soaking I tried again to undo it (I have no cool section pliers or spare bicycle tube so had to rely on my fingers) and managed to snap the black bit off the bottom.

Turns out the barrel is made up of a black plastic liner to which the gold outer tube is glued, and the glue had given up leaving the gold to spin freely.  It wasn't cross threaded so came apart easily revealing some pretty clean innards and a non leaky but very blue sac

Show Image

Now all I need is some superglue to put it back together and a gold-tone ink (I try and match the ink to the pen's colour) and it will be back in action.  I think this is the one colour missing from your extensive sample collection Syribo :))
I actually have a whole bunch of yellow-goldish inks haha. I haven't tried most of them yet. I did try the Diamine Shimmertastic Golden sands, though. It's REEEALLY nice. Beautiful gold color with lots of sparkle and sheen :)

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1359 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:55:21 »
I ordered my first sample set from Goulet and a TWSBI Vac 700 extra fine nib. I haven't got a chance to try the EF nib, but I just finished cataloging my ink collection with my Vac700 and medium nib. It's the largest nib I own. I figured it was the best chance to show off each ink.

The process:

« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:36:16 by THSdrummer »

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1360 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 20:22:42 »
I actually have a whole bunch of yellow-goldish inks haha. I haven't tried most of them yet. I did try the Diamine Shimmertastic Golden sands, though. It's REEEALLY nice. Beautiful gold color with lots of sparkle and sheen :)

I didn't see any in your latest haul, who'da thought you already had lots sitting round unused!

I have Diamine Imperial Purple, Delamere Green and Amber and they all behave quite well (except with a fat, wet, oblique nib on a cheap envelope :))) so this sounds very tempting...  Any chance of a pic of your testing please?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1361 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 20:32:45 »

I didn't see any in your latest haul, who'da thought you already had lots sitting round unused!

I have Diamine Imperial Purple, Delamere Green and Amber and they all behave quite well (except with a fat, wet, oblique nib on a cheap envelope :))) so this sounds very tempting...  Any chance of a pic of your testing please?
Oh you have no idea how much ink I have sitting around unused.. lol.. So I may have a slight ink sample hoarding situation going on here.

Now, don't judge me.. This is how I keep track of them:

I literally took inventory of every single one I have, in alphabetical order by Brand and then Name. I also created a swatch as close as I could just by eye-balling some ink swatches, to put next to each name, so I can find a certain color or shade fast..

I'm really organized, don't make fun of me haha. They all are alphabetical in the vial holders too. Only thing that sucks is if I get a new one, I have to move them all over lol But I'm not letting myself acquire ANYMORE ink samples. I'm set. I have like.. 120.. I'm awful.

Next is sampling and cataloging them on actual paper.. using a dip pen and q-tip or something, to get swatches in person. I actually have a thing for sorting, categorizing, filing, etc. It keeps my brain occupied and I find it soothing ;)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1362 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 20:41:50 »

Oh you have no idea how much ink I have sitting around unused.. lol.. So I may have a slight ink sample hoarding situation going on here.

Show Image

I literally took inventory of every single one I have, in alphabetical order by Brand and then Name. I also created a swatch as close as I could just by eye-balling some ink swatches, to put next to each name, so I can find a certain color or shade fast..

I'm really organized, don't make fun of me haha. They all are alphabetical in the vial holders too. Only thing that sucks is if I get a new one, I have to move them all over lol But I'm not letting myself acquire ANYMORE ink samples. I'm set. I have like.. 120.. I'm awful.

Next is sampling and cataloging them on actual paper.. using a dip pen and q-tip or something, to get swatches in person. I actually have a thing for sorting, categorizing, filing, etc. It keeps my brain occupied and I find it soothing ;)

Have you ever went to a pen store? You would have a literal heart attack.
The one I went to had a massive swatch album of every single ink they had in stock.
You could probably kill someone with that album...
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1363 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 20:52:22 »
If you think a pen store has a lot of swatches, you've never seen a pen show. At the SF pen show, they literally had like 4-6 folding tables filled with inks you could try. And then retailers will bring tons and tons of ink to sell.

Cross posted from here

Pelikan M205 Duo, yellow, with J Herbin Diablo Menthe ink and a double broad nib. It's Tiffany blue <3
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 21:46:13 by CPTBadAss »

Offline iri

« Reply #1364 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 08:12:06 »
OMG literally tables of ink! I would have a literal heart attack!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1365 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 11:19:20 »

Show Image

That's an awesome catalog! I just recently cataloged mine, albeit it was only about 15. I followed the following format on white index cards:
Brand name
Ink name
Swirls/curves
Pen and nib size
1 sec (smear after 1 sec)
5 sec (smear after 5 sec)
10 sec (smear after 10 sec)

and to the right of the timed smears, I wiped the bottom of the nib off on the index card to get a big sample of the color.

The only thing I wish I had down while I had the ink in my pen was write down the brand/ink name on standard printer paper and then sprinkled some water on it to test its resilience to spills. Since I'm looking for an ink to do mark ups on papers with, having an ink that is bulletproof is hugely important to me. I just don't feel like reinking my pen with each sample again.... Something to consider, if you're looking for resilient inks. Have fun :thumb: Feel free to send me some extra swatches of good blues and pinks. I'm looking for something in that range.

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1366 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 12:18:10 »
If you think a pen store has a lot of swatches, you've never seen a pen show. At the SF pen show, they literally had like 4-6 folding tables filled with inks you could try. And then retailers will bring tons and tons of ink to sell.

Cross posted from here

Show Image

Pelikan M205 Duo, yellow, with J Herbin Diablo Menthe ink and a double broad nib. It's Tiffany blue <3

So excited about Columbus.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1367 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:07:34 »

Why?  Are you allergic to ink?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iri

« Reply #1368 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:48:51 »

Can allergy give a "literal heart attack"? I am now bothered :(
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1369 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:24:55 »

Can allergy give a "literal heart attack"? I am now bothered :(

I do not know.

But you seemed to indicate that you would have a heart attack due to a table full of ink.

It was assumed there was some pathological link.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline iri

« Reply #1370 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 17:08:38 »
Iri + writing instruments = pathological link, yes.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1371 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 17:09:19 »
Iri + writing instruments = pathological link, yes.

:D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1372 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 17:37:52 »

[awesomely organised spreadsheet pic]

You do know it's damn near impossible not to judge, right?  As a walking mess I'm not sure whether my overriding feeling was one of admiration, jealousy, or inadequacy but I am seriously impressed!  I am also strangely tempted to send you a sample of Diamine Amber so you have to move 100 bottles along :P  Don't worry though, I have not seen that bottle for a couple of months.  It's here somewhere, safely stored somewhere dark... :-[
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1373 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 17:54:05 »

You do know it's damn near impossible not to judge, right?  As a walking mess I'm not sure whether my overriding feeling was one of admiration, jealousy, or inadequacy but I am seriously impressed!  I am also strangely tempted to send you a sample of Diamine Amber so you have to move 100 bottles along :P  Don't worry though, I have not seen that bottle for a couple of months.  It's here somewhere, safely stored somewhere dark... :-[
Oh my God I would probably cry LOL. The one good thing about the obsessive order.. is that it is keeping me from wanting ANYMORE samples, unless it starts with a Z or something haha.

I hope to get myself to a pen show sometime this year. I also want to visit some local antique stores, see if I can find any awesome prices on some vintage pens.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1374 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:02:48 »

Oh my God I would probably cry LOL. The one good thing about the obsessive order.. is that it is keeping me from wanting ANYMORE samples, unless it starts with a Z or something haha.

I hope to get myself to a pen show sometime this year. I also want to visit some local antique stores, see if I can find any awesome prices on some vintage pens.

But I mean... you do really need Diamine Oxblood which I see you do not have...
I wrote part of the letter I sent you with that ink. It's beautiful and you will want to reorganize your inkfolio just to have it.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1375 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:16:36 »
Just made a rookie mistake.... I was swapping inks to write a new letter, so I emptied out my M200 into my bottle of Noodler's Aircorp Blue-Black. It was actually BungBox Ink of the Witch. I don't think it was enough to make the blue-black a shade of purple, but it would've been bad if I had put some Aircorp in my BungBox inks. Looks like I need to be a little more careful.... :))

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1376 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 12:22:22 »
Just made a rookie mistake.... I was swapping inks to write a new letter, so I emptied out my M200 into my bottle of Noodler's Aircorp Blue-Black. It was actually BungBox Ink of the Witch. I don't think it was enough to make the blue-black a shade of purple, but it would've been bad if I had put some Aircorp in my BungBox inks. Looks like I need to be a little more careful.... :))

So you took an ink from nice to awesome?  I fail to see the problem.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1377 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 14:12:48 »

So you took an ink from nice to awesome?  I fail to see the problem.

Drats. My original post didn't go through....

Yeah, it's not terrible. I haven't tried Aircorp yet, but even if it does have a slight purple hue, I wouldn't mind. It's my professional use ink. I like it as is, but having a bit more personal purple hue would be swell! Now if I would've mixed something in my BungBox ink bottles, I would've been broken. Those aren't as easy to replace if the new shade doesn't work out. 

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1378 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 16:14:05 »
So I spent last night cataloging all of my ink samples on paper. The Mnemosyne word books really are perfect for ink sampling.

It took a while, but was actually fun.. and soothing haha. And it was nice actually using every ink and seeing how it looks in person, as opposed to just in the bottle and online swatches.

Too bad it looks like they are discontinuing these books.. they were only $4 each from Goulet. I bought two. But it sucks that they won't have them anymore. Then again, 100 papers in each book.. that's 200.. I have a lot of ink samples, but I don't plan on going over 200 LOL.

Right now I'm finishing up my letter to THSDrummer. Frosty, you already wrote one? I will reply to yours when I get it :D And thanks a lot for making me want Oxblood.. next time I get samples.. I'll have to grab that one too I guess :P

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1379 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 16:24:07 »
So I spent last night cataloging all of my ink samples on paper. The Mnemosyne word books really are perfect for ink sampling.

Show Image

Show Image

It took a while, but was actually fun.. and soothing haha. And it was nice actually using every ink and seeing how it looks in person, as opposed to just in the bottle and online swatches.

Too bad it looks like they are discontinuing these books.. they were only $4 each from Goulet. I bought two. But it sucks that they won't have them anymore. Then again, 100 papers in each book.. that's 200.. I have a lot of ink samples, but I don't plan on going over 200 LOL.

Right now I'm finishing up my letter to THSDrummer. Frosty, you already wrote one? I will reply to yours when I get it :D And thanks a lot for making me want Oxblood.. next time I get samples.. I'll have to grab that one too I guess :P

Yay! I can't wait to read your letter :)

Dang. I'll have to look up those swatches. That sure would be nicer than my index cards.... How did you put the ink on the page? Q tip?

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1380 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 16:35:46 »

Show Image

Show Image

Dang. I'll have to look up those swatches. That sure would be nicer than my index cards.... How did you put the ink on the page? Q tip?
Yup, Q-tips! I went through like.. 60 of them! It was messy as hell, but really fun. And you can use the opposite side for writing samples, notes, etc. I'll leave writing samples as I use them in my pens perhaps.

The only place I can find the Mnemosyne word cards now is on Amazon.. and it's like $18 each!! They were only $4 on Goulet or on Jetpens. I wish I had bought a few more, honestly, just in case.. before they got discontinued. Maybe there's some other cheaper places to find them. They're so perfect for ink swatches. You can find a lot of reviews and blogs out there that also used them, that's how I found out about them. The paper is REALLY REALLY good and thick, no bleedthrough. They hold ink incredibly well.

I'm using a ton of different inks and pens in writing your letter, I like switching between them haha.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1381 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 16:36:10 »
I don't plan on going over 200 LOL.
I may or may not have gotten like 30 samples.. then went back and got 30 more samples....

Kay.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1382 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 16:41:38 »
I don't plan on going over 200 LOL.
I may or may not have gotten like 30 samples.. then went back and got 30 more samples....

Kay.

I.. I don't know what you're talking about..............

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1383 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 16:59:43 »

Show Image

Show Image

Yup, Q-tips! I went through like.. 60 of them! It was messy as hell, but really fun. And you can use the opposite side for writing samples, notes, etc. I'll leave writing samples as I use them in my pens perhaps.

The only place I can find the Mnemosyne word cards now is on Amazon.. and it's like $18 each!! They were only $4 on Goulet or on Jetpens. I wish I had bought a few more, honestly, just in case.. before they got discontinued. Maybe there's some other cheaper places to find them. They're so perfect for ink swatches. You can find a lot of reviews and blogs out there that also used them, that's how I found out about them. The paper is REALLY REALLY good and thick, no bleedthrough. They hold ink incredibly well.

I'm using a ton of different inks and pens in writing your letter, I like switching between them haha.

Yeah, I Googled those cards right after I saw your post. I can't justify $18 for a swatch. I found an overseas seller, but after shipping, I probably wouldn't be saving anything....

I look forward to reading and looking at your letter! It sounds like it'll be quite the letter. I have a tough time using more than one ink per letter. I just wrote one with two colors. It might help if I had multiple pens so I could just grab another, but I don't. I'm thinking about picking up a Pilot Heritage 92 demonstrator in fine as my "grading" pen. Definitely picking up a bottle of Sheaffer's Skrip red and maybe Diamine Matador or Oxblood. I just hear Oxblood washed off easy. Not sure about Matador.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1384 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 22:23:55 »
I need more people to write to haha. I wrote three letters the last few days, I need more! I wrote one to everyone who PMed me, or am waiting on one, anyone else in the thread wanna trade letters? It's REALLY making my handwriting better already. I was gonna ask in one of the fountain pen groups too but I definitely have a lot more in common with everyone on here, so I'd prefer pen pals from here ;)

Show Image

Show Image

Yeah, I Googled those cards right after I saw your post. I can't justify $18 for a swatch. I found an overseas seller, but after shipping, I probably wouldn't be saving anything....

I look forward to reading and looking at your letter! It sounds like it'll be quite the letter. I have a tough time using more than one ink per letter. I just wrote one with two colors. It might help if I had multiple pens so I could just grab another, but I don't. I'm thinking about picking up a Pilot Heritage 92 demonstrator in fine as my "grading" pen. Definitely picking up a bottle of Sheaffer's Skrip red and maybe Diamine Matador or Oxblood. I just hear Oxblood washed off easy. Not sure about Matador.

I still can't believe they are discontinuing those books ugh. I'm kicking myself for not getting more, just in case. I would have sent you one :/ $18 is just ridiculous for something that was $4 bleah. I hope you get your letter soon though! I also sent out Binge's letter. How long do letters even take to get anyway? I haven't sent a letter in years, just priority mail packages which only take two days lol.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1385 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 22:57:25 »

I still can't believe they are discontinuing those books ugh. I'm kicking myself for not getting more, just in case. I would have sent you one :/ $18 is just ridiculous for something that was $4 bleah. I hope you get your letter soon though! I also sent out Binge's letter. How long do letters even take to get anyway? I haven't sent a letter in years, just priority mail packages which only take two days lol.

I think priority packages ship quicker than letters. At least around here. Then again, the local USPS is infamous around my college town. Letters sometimes take weeks to arrive or send to the main city ~45 minutes away by car. I mean, I'm not then only one in this town that I've talked to who has gotten multiple letters/packages time stamped weeks prior to sending just 50 miles away. Hopefully your letter arrives soon :)

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1386 on: Fri, 30 October 2015, 23:00:31 »
Why not use business cards and business card binder sheets for blots?
Extremely standard stuff that will be around forever plus the grade of paper used for business cards should be good enough for fountain pens.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1387 on: Sat, 31 October 2015, 01:01:49 »

I think priority packages ship quicker than letters. At least around here. Then again, the local USPS is infamous around my college town. Letters sometimes take weeks to arrive or send to the main city ~45 minutes away by car. I mean, I'm not then only one in this town that I've talked to who has gotten multiple letters/packages time stamped weeks prior to sending just 50 miles away. Hopefully your letter arrives soon :)
Oh wow.. I hope it doesn't take that long, yikes. Also, you will have to let me know if my wax seal stays on haha I used one wax on yours, a different on Binge's. I want to see if they are both flexible or not.

I asked about interest in a fountain pen FB group for pen pals, and got a whole bunch of replies. A girl in Malaysia, and one in Pakistan even! I've never sent a letter overseas, or received one, so I thought that was pretty cool :)

I also decided on a good way to try and use more inks. For each letter I send for now on, gonna stick with a color scheme. For Binge's letter that I wrote today, I used all blue inks. For the one I'm writing now, all plum and magenta type of colors. After that, all pinks muhaha. Etc etc. I like to switch between like four different inks per letter. So I'm putting together some ink "sets" to use, per letter, that actually is making me real excited about the process ;)

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1388 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:12:04 »
So I'm bummed. I got a 2312 medium italic nib for my Esterbrook. Well, was out for delivery yesterday... never came. Another package went out for delivery at the same exact time, and that one got delivered. Later on that night, it updated to "Delivery status not updated"... so I guess USPS dropped it, misplaced it, lost it.. something. This is seriously about 20+ packages misdelivered or lost by UPS and USPS in a year. I've told people before about how last Christmas, UPS delivered my $500 computer monitor to the wrong house, and whoever got it kept it. Then a week later, they left 5 packages (All Christmas gifts) on our neighbors steps.. so this is nothing new.

But I've never had something just "lost" before.. usually just at the wrong house.

What really bites, is that I can't even find another 2312 nib, or even a 9312 nib, for sale anywhere. That was the last one in stock on Anderson. So now I'm sad.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1389 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:14:50 »
So I'm bummed. I got a 2312 medium italic nib for my Esterbrook. Well, was out for delivery yesterday... never came. Another package went out for delivery at the same exact time, and that one got delivered. Later on that night, it updated to "Delivery status not updated"... so I guess USPS dropped it, misplaced it, lost it.. something. This is seriously about 20+ packages misdelivered or lost by UPS and USPS in a year. I've told people before about how last Christmas, UPS delivered my $500 computer monitor to the wrong house, and whoever got it kept it. Then a week later, they left 5 packages (All Christmas gifts) on our neighbors steps.. so this is nothing new.

But I've never had something just "lost" before.. usually just at the wrong house.

What really bites, is that I can't even find another 2312 nib, or even a 9312 nib, for sale anywhere. That was the last one in stock on Anderson. So now I'm sad.

That really sucks. I hope you find a resolution to this problem...
I have never had problems with packages to be quite honest. It baffles me how the postal service could be so careless and how little they're actually accountable for their mistakes.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1390 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:15:38 »

Give it a few days, and file a claim. I recently had a HiPro MIA from the USPS for 2 weeks (with 2 day priority shipping) and a day after I filed a claim it magically appeared where it was supposed to be. That really sucks though! This has been a bad mail year for me too  :confused:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1391 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 18:24:36 »
This problem saddens me more than usual, since everything I've ever bought has been pretty much replaceable. But this time.. if it IS lost, even though I'll get my money back, I doubt I'll get another of that nib anytime soon :'(

It's ALWAYS a temporary person that screws up. Our normal mail lady, and our normal UPS guy are both awesome... they've been doing our route for years and they've never messed up. But every single time there's a fill in, they mess up.

The saddest part is how they constantly deliver our stuff to the same house number, but on F Street... we live on E Street. And then we get stuff for F Street at OUR house... Now I know that there's just one little line that makes the difference between an E and an F.. but even children can tell the difference between those two letters lol.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1392 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 23:16:10 »
http://www.isellpens.com/Ink-Sample-s/1860.htm?searching=Y&sort=1&cat=1860&show=100&page=1
By the way, Isellpens still has more samples in stock up for 25 cents to 50 cents again! And then a bunch of 75 cent ones, as well as Iroshizuku for cheaper than usual.

I'm not saying I bought anymore from them.... but.... I just wanted to let you guys know they have more in stock again.... ;) There's a bunch in stock that weren't there when I made my original orders.

Edit: Crap, actually, it looks like a lot already sold out again since I checked an hour or two ago. But there's still some random colors, and they keep updating with new stock.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1393 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 07:21:15 »

This problem saddens me more than usual, since everything I've ever bought has been pretty much replaceable. But this time.. if it IS lost, even though I'll get my money back, I doubt I'll get another of that nib anytime soon :'(

I'll be going to the Ohio Pen Show in a few weeks. Brian Anderson, owner of Anderson pens, will be there. I could hunt for that nib for you at the show if you want.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1394 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 07:48:48 »
Dang, Syribo. I'm sorry to hear about those missing packages. I hope you can sort it out and get the nib!

I'm trying hard not to order anything. Some Iroshizuku inks would be nice. I got the Asa-gao as a mystery ink from Goulet and really enjoy it, which has me curious about their other inks. I'm trying to be pretty picky in what I order though. I don't have the cash to pick up a bunch of inks.

I'd really like to try:
Noodler's Black Swan Australian Roses
Private Reserve Ebony Purple
Noodler's Eel Cactus Fruit
Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo

Does anyone have any experience with those? I want to find a good purple and deep pink, as well as, a good blue. I don't own anything blue except my Noodler's Aircorp.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1395 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 07:51:25 »
Dang, Syribo. I'm sorry to hear about those missing packages. I hope you can sort it out and get the nib!

I'm trying hard not to order anything. Some Iroshizuku inks would be nice. I got the Asa-gao as a mystery ink from Goulet and really enjoy it, which has me curious about their other inks. I'm trying to be pretty picky in what I order though. I don't have the cash to pick up a bunch of inks.

I'd really like to try:

Does anyone have any experience with those? I want to find a good purple and deep pink, as well as, a good blue. I don't own anything blue except my Noodler's Aircorp.

Anything Iroshizuku I've had really good experiences with. Yama-budo is a lovely red wine color and I love it. I think I might try and find the 15ml bottle of it at the Ohio show. I only use purple, pink, and blue inks. My go-to purple is Noodler's North African Violet. I really like Mont Blanc Lavender too. I currently have J Herbin Diabolo Menthe loaded in a Pelikan because it looks like Tiffany Blue :D. Oh and I've got Mont Blanc Pink in my VP at work.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1396 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 11:17:35 »

I'd really like to try:

Anything Iroshizuku I've had really good experiences with. Yama-budo is a lovely red wine color and I love it. I think I might try and find the 15ml bottle of it at the Ohio show. I only use purple, pink, and blue inks. My go-to purple is Noodler's North African Violet. I really like Mont Blanc Lavender too. I currently have J Herbin Diabolo Menthe loaded in a Pelikan because it looks like Tiffany Blue :D. Oh and I've got Mont Blanc Pink in my VP at work.

That North African Violet looks fantastic. Ohh, that Mont Blanc looks like the sort of purple I want. So many choices. I find it hard to decide on which samples to order. I'm considering ordering another round of samples, but this time for fun, not for grading purposes.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1397 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:38:00 »

I'd really like to try:

I'd really like to try:

I got my nib today!! Someone found it and put it in our mailbox.. thank goodness. I was so depressed about that at first. But of course my other two Anderson orders that were supposed to come today, and left the Flushing facility at the same exact time as my Goulet order, just never came or updated since then.. but my Goulet one came.

And OMG I looooove Yama-Budo. No lie, it's one of my favorite inks. I need a bottle of it at some point, but I have about 6ml's for now which is fine. I actually just filled up my Esterbrook with Yama-budo, and that will be the ink I always keep in it :) The 2312 italic medium nib I got is amazing.. feels so good on the paper and with the ink!!

Black Swan Australian Roses is also really really beautiful. That's another one that I need more of. I only got a 2ml sample from Goulet, because Anderson didn't have it in stock, and I've already used most of it. I'll definitely be getting a bottle of that and the Yama-budo at some point.

Eel Cactus Fruit is also gorgeous.. I've used that a lot too. I love those kind of colors. I haven't tried the Private Reserve Ebony Purple... but now I want to go look at it lol. I only have two Private Reserve inks.

I have 3 of those 50 vial holders.. and they are now full, thanks to that Isellpens sale that has been ongoing. I even have 8 vials that don't have a space now.. so I guess.. I have 158 samples, okay yeah I may have an issue argh. But hey, at least they should stay good forever (Possibly), and I use inks like a maniac haha.

Right now I have to figure out what to do about two of my Goulet nibs. I have three Jinhaos that I got 1.1mm stub nibs from Goulet to put on them. One of them is smooth and perfect. The other two are kinda "scratchy"? Like, they almost skip or put a tiny glob of ink sometimes.. they are nothing like the one smooth nib.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1398 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:39:48 »
I am so glad that you met your happy ending!
I have no idea what is so special about that nib, even after googling, but I can imagine that I would be heartbroken if I lost a purchase.
Any pen I buy is usually more than I get in a paycheck  :-[

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1399 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:42:49 »
I am so glad that you met your happy ending!
I have no idea what is so special about that nib, even after googling, but I can imagine that I would be heartbroken if I lost a purchase.
Any pen I buy is usually more than I get in a paycheck  :-[
I just love stub nibs haha. And I really wanted one for my Esterbrook, but since they're vintage, they're really hard to find.. Couldn't find a single one in stock anywhere. And it writes like a dream :)

By the way! I just got your letter and read it.. Holy crap your handwriting is ridiculously good.. I'm afraid to write back now LOL. Mine isn't atrocious but it is no where near the level of yours. Now I'm all self conscious :P I'll be writing your letter tonight or in the morning and will let ya know as soon as it goes out :)

BTW... Oxblood really IS beautiful... I'm glad I DID end up getting a sample of it ;) Enabler.