Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427488 times)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1400 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 16:50:15 »
I am so glad that you met your happy ending!
I have no idea what is so special about that nib, even after googling, but I can imagine that I would be heartbroken if I lost a purchase.
Any pen I buy is usually more than I get in a paycheck  :-[
I just love stub nibs haha. And I really wanted one for my Esterbrook, but since they're vintage, they're really hard to find.. Couldn't find a single one in stock anywhere. And it writes like a dream :)

By the way! I just got your letter and read it.. Holy crap your handwriting is ridiculously good.. I'm afraid to write back now LOL. Mine isn't atrocious but it is no where near the level of yours. Now I'm all self conscious :P I'll be writing your letter tonight or in the morning and will let ya know as soon as it goes out :)

BTW... Oxblood really IS beautiful... I'm glad I DID end up getting a sample of it ;) Enabler.

That's kind of funny about my writing haha.
I caught a glimpse of your writing on your ink samples and I was the one who got a little jealous
Maybe I'm just so familiar with my own writing that I can see where I go wrong; whereas I don't quite know the writing of another well enough to know what it should look like, if that makes sense.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1401 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 18:25:45 »
Dang, Syribo. I'm sorry to hear about those missing packages. I hope you can sort it out and get the nib!

I'm trying hard not to order anything. Some Iroshizuku inks would be nice. I got the Asa-gao as a mystery ink from Goulet and really enjoy it, which has me curious about their other inks. I'm trying to be pretty picky in what I order though. I don't have the cash to pick up a bunch of inks.

I'd really like to try:
Noodler's Black Swan Australian Roses
Private Reserve Ebony Purple
Noodler's Eel Cactus Fruit
Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo

Does anyone have any experience with those? I want to find a good purple and deep pink, as well as, a good blue. I don't own anything blue except my Noodler's Aircorp.

I got my nib today!! Someone found it and put it in our mailbox.. thank goodness. I was so depressed about that at first. But of course my other two Anderson orders that were supposed to come today, and left the Flushing facility at the same exact time as my Goulet order, just never came or updated since then.. but my Goulet one came.

And OMG I looooove Yama-Budo. No lie, it's one of my favorite inks. I need a bottle of it at some point, but I have about 6ml's for now which is fine. I actually just filled up my Esterbrook with Yama-budo, and that will be the ink I always keep in it :) The 2312 italic medium nib I got is amazing.. feels so good on the paper and with the ink!!

Black Swan Australian Roses is also really really beautiful. That's another one that I need more of. I only got a 2ml sample from Goulet, because Anderson didn't have it in stock, and I've already used most of it. I'll definitely be getting a bottle of that and the Yama-budo at some point.

Eel Cactus Fruit is also gorgeous.. I've used that a lot too. I love those kind of colors. I haven't tried the Private Reserve Ebony Purple... but now I want to go look at it lol. I only have two Private Reserve inks.

I have 3 of those 50 vial holders.. and they are now full, thanks to that Isellpens sale that has been ongoing. I even have 8 vials that don't have a space now.. so I guess.. I have 158 samples, okay yeah I may have an issue argh. But hey, at least they should stay good forever (Possibly), and I use inks like a maniac haha.

Right now I have to figure out what to do about two of my Goulet nibs. I have three Jinhaos that I got 1.1mm stub nibs from Goulet to put on them. One of them is smooth and perfect. The other two are kinda "scratchy"? Like, they almost skip or put a tiny glob of ink sometimes.. they are nothing like the one smooth nib.

Haha, sounds like we are thinking along the same lines for ink. You should send me a letter with a sample of Yama-Budo, Black Swan Australian Roses, and Eeel Cactus Fruit ;) Unfortunately, they don't have any of the inks I really desire trying at the iSellPens sale. By the time I got to it the first time, they were out. I'll probably order a bottle of red sometime this winter to ink up as my grading ink. I might pick up a few samples then. I'd love to pick up a Heritage 92 demonstrator as my grading pen, but I might just wait and get it as a "congrats on the job" pen. I just can't fathom getting anything besides a demonstrator. I love seeing the ink in the barrel swishing around.

As far as the Ebony Purple goes, I enjoy the idea of an ink I can use in a professional sense, but still have a little fun with it.

Now I'm curious about flex nib pens too. I like staying pretty thin and standard with my nibs, but it'd be fun to play around with some fancy writing. Any experience with the Noodler's Ahab Flex pen? Or should I pick up a stub nibbed pen?

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Syribo

• I like coffee and pink things.
« Reply #1402 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 19:32:32 »
Dang, Syribo. I'm sorry to hear about those missing packages. I hope you can sort it out and get the nib!

I'm trying hard not to order anything. Some Iroshizuku inks would be nice. I got the Asa-gao as a mystery ink from Goulet and really enjoy it, which has me curious about their other inks. I'm trying to be pretty picky in what I order though. I don't have the cash to pick up a bunch of inks.

I'd really like to try:
Noodler's Black Swan Australian Roses
Private Reserve Ebony Purple
Noodler's Eel Cactus Fruit
Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Budo

Does anyone have any experience with those? I want to find a good purple and deep pink, as well as, a good blue. I don't own anything blue except my Noodler's Aircorp.

I got my nib today!! Someone found it and put it in our mailbox.. thank goodness. I was so depressed about that at first. But of course my other two Anderson orders that were supposed to come today, and left the Flushing facility at the same exact time as my Goulet order, just never came or updated since then.. but my Goulet one came.

And OMG I looooove Yama-Budo. No lie, it's one of my favorite inks. I need a bottle of it at some point, but I have about 6ml's for now which is fine. I actually just filled up my Esterbrook with Yama-budo, and that will be the ink I always keep in it :) The 2312 italic medium nib I got is amazing.. feels so good on the paper and with the ink!!

Black Swan Australian Roses is also really really beautiful. That's another one that I need more of. I only got a 2ml sample from Goulet, because Anderson didn't have it in stock, and I've already used most of it. I'll definitely be getting a bottle of that and the Yama-budo at some point.

Eel Cactus Fruit is also gorgeous.. I've used that a lot too. I love those kind of colors. I haven't tried the Private Reserve Ebony Purple... but now I want to go look at it lol. I only have two Private Reserve inks.

I have 3 of those 50 vial holders.. and they are now full, thanks to that Isellpens sale that has been ongoing. I even have 8 vials that don't have a space now.. so I guess.. I have 158 samples, okay yeah I may have an issue argh. But hey, at least they should stay good forever (Possibly), and I use inks like a maniac haha.

Right now I have to figure out what to do about two of my Goulet nibs. I have three Jinhaos that I got 1.1mm stub nibs from Goulet to put on them. One of them is smooth and perfect. The other two are kinda "scratchy"? Like, they almost skip or put a tiny glob of ink sometimes.. they are nothing like the one smooth nib.

Haha, sounds like we are thinking along the same lines for ink. You should send me a letter with a sample of Yama-Budo, Black Swan Australian Roses, and Eeel Cactus Fruit ;) Unfortunately, they don't have any of the inks I really desire trying at the iSellPens sale. By the time I got to it the first time, they were out. I'll probably order a bottle of red sometime this winter to ink up as my grading ink. I might pick up a few samples then. I'd love to pick up a Heritage 92 demonstrator as my grading pen, but I might just wait and get it as a "congrats on the job" pen. I just can't fathom getting anything besides a demonstrator. I love seeing the ink in the barrel swishing around.

As far as the Ebony Purple goes, I enjoy the idea of an ink I can use in a professional sense, but still have a little fun with it.

Now I'm curious about flex nib pens too. I like staying pretty thin and standard with my nibs, but it'd be fun to play around with some fancy writing. Any experience with the Noodler's Ahab Flex pen? Or should I pick up a stub nibbed pen?
I can't remember if I used Yama-budo in your letter or not.. I am pretty sure I did. Next time I will also write with the BS Australian Roses and Eel Cactus Fruit as well! I actually am loving demonstrators as well.. I really like my Lamy Vista, and I got a TWSBI Eco to see what all the fuss is with the TWSBI pens haha.

I have an Ahab, and it's pretty fun.. when it behaves. At first, I didn't love it.. but it's gotten a lot better over time.

Here's some messing around with it with some Diamine Soft Mint. I only had to fill in two spots in this writing sample. I can get it to draw really thick lines now, whereas when I first got it, it would rail road A LOT. I still like stub nibs way more. I now own 7 stub nib pens. Three others are medium, one is a fine.. and I rarely use those four anymore. I just love how stub nibs write :) They make my handwriting look a lot better than thin nibs.

Cheapest stub nib (That I knnow of) would be a Jinhao with a Goulet or Anderson nib. Cheaper than getting something like a Safari and a Lamy stub nib to replace it with. Or a TWSBI Eco with a stub.

Ducky Shine 4        CM Storm QFR

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1403 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 19:49:29 »

I can't remember if I used Yama-budo in your letter or not.. I am pretty sure I did. Next time I will also write with the BS Australian Roses and Eel Cactus Fruit as well! I actually am loving demonstrators as well.. I really like my Lamy Vista, and I got a TWSBI Eco to see what all the fuss is with the TWSBI pens haha.

I have an Ahab, and it's pretty fun.. when it behaves. At first, I didn't love it.. but it's gotten a lot better over time.
Show Image

Here's some messing around with it with some Diamine Soft Mint. I only had to fill in two spots in this writing sample. I can get it to draw really thick lines now, whereas when I first got it, it would rail road A LOT. I still like stub nibs way more. I now own 7 stub nib pens. Three others are medium, one is a fine.. and I rarely use those four anymore. I just love how stub nibs write :) They make my handwriting look a lot better than thin nibs.

Cheapest stub nib (That I knnow of) would be a Jinhao with a Goulet or Anderson nib. Cheaper than getting something like a Safari and a Lamy stub nib to replace it with. Or a TWSBI Eco with a stub.

Ohh, that's a beautiful ink. I was really hoping to find a good mint colored ink. I think aqua blue is one of my favorite colors by far. Not too manly, but I like it. How's the ECO stub? I have a Vac700 (medium and extra fine, but only one pen). I like the extra fine because it makes me focus on my writing. It doesn't hide anything. But I'm between getting a flex and stub nib. I like Lamy's, but I'm not a fan of converter's in demonstrators. I like the idea of the ink filling up the barrel, instead of being held in a little tube within a separate tube.

Please, label the inks whenever you write me :) I'll be looking for that Yama-Budo in your letter!

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1404 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:09:20 »
I just wanted to share with you guys one of my favourite words to write.

I made a little boo boo with the last one but you can see that even with the most minimum effort you can make something so mesmeric.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1405 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:16:24 »
Show Image

I made a little boo boo with the last one but you can see that even with the most minimum effort you can make something so mesmeric.

Wow. That's clean. How do you work on the different style fonts? I've just put a lot of focus into generic cursive, just with my own way to form certain letters. It's what I use to write letters and write for fun, but it'd be nice to be able to do some fancy, bold lettering for invites and extra flair in my letters and such.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1406 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:20:10 »
Show Image

Wow. That's clean. How do you work on the different style fonts? I've just put a lot of focus into generic cursive, just with my own way to form certain letters. It's what I use to write letters and write for fun, but it'd be nice to be able to do some fancy, bold lettering for invites and extra flair in my letters and such.

The first font is really something that I don't know how to do at all. The letters I used are so simple and cut/paste that I can work with it.
The second is just normal cursive with some flex and and a perpendicular angle.
In the third photo it's really just the second but on a slant.
The last one is actually the same application of the first in that there are repeated shapes. It's just that instead of a vertical line, I use a swoosh that you would see in copperplate.

I honestly only know one form of cursive which is my imitation copperplate. I only call it imitation because it lacks flex and I have my own take on certain letters.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1407 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:23:47 »

Show Image

Ohh, that's a beautiful ink. I was really hoping to find a good mint colored ink. I think aqua blue is one of my favorite colors by far. Not too manly, but I like it. How's the ECO stub? I have a Vac700 (medium and extra fine, but only one pen). I like the extra fine because it makes me focus on my writing. It doesn't hide anything. But I'm between getting a flex and stub nib. I like Lamy's, but I'm not a fan of converter's in demonstrators. I like the idea of the ink filling up the barrel, instead of being held in a little tube within a separate tube.

Please, label the inks whenever you write me :) I'll be looking for that Yama-Budo in your letter!
Soft Mint is awesome, I know CPTBadAss loves it too. And don't worry, I am pretty sure I wrote the name of every color I used in the letter :) Ah you're right about the converter in a demonstrator thing.. it is a lot prettier when the ink is actually in the barrel. I didn't get the TWSBI yet, I got that with the ink samples from Isellpens. Should have it in a few days. Trying to think of which color would look prettiest in it.. I really wanted the white one instead of black, but I know I would get it all stained with ink, so I played it safe and went with black.

Show Image

Hahaha minimum really is the most fun word to write. I randomly find myself writing it too, just because it looks so cool and pretty lol

Offline dohbot

« Reply #1408 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:25:30 »
115885-0

Translation: Keyboards weren't much of a choice for me more of, I can't write, might as well type!
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1409 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:29:55 »
(Attachment Link)

Translation: Keyboards weren't much of a choice for me more of, I can't write, might as well type!

Perhaps your writing is a mess but all it takes is practice!
My writing looked like yours at some point in time. I just consciously took an effort to make it legible enough. Not pretty, just legible.
Then, only about 2 years ago, I actually started to take writing more seriously. I only recently picked up cursive and now I get compliments from a decent amount of people and it is a joy to hear such words.

Offline dohbot

« Reply #1410 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:34:24 »
(Attachment Link)

My writing looked like yours at some point in time. I just consciously took an effort to make it legible enough. Not pretty, just legible.
Then, only about 2 years ago, I actually started to take writing more seriously. I only recently picked up cursive and now I get compliments from a decent amount of people and it is a joy to hear such words.

I would but that would take away my excuse to use fun keyboards.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1411 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:36:58 »
(Attachment Link)

My excuse for having pens and keyboards is that no matter what, I always enjoy my writing experience.
If I am writing notes in class, I don't long to be reunited with my keyboards, and when I'm on my computer I still enjoy my feeling!

Offline dohbot

« Reply #1412 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:44:05 »
(Attachment Link)

Then, only about 2 years ago, I actually started to take writing more seriously. I only recently picked up cursive and now I get compliments from a decent number of people and it is a joy to hear such words.

My excuse for having pens and keyboards is that no matter what, I always enjoy my writing experience.
If I am writing notes in class, I don't long to be reunited with my keyboards, and when I'm on my computer I still enjoy my feeling!

I bought a few fountain pens, but I keep bending the nibs on accident by pushing a bit too hard (okay far too hard). And I own three fisher space pens, I am trying to convince myself to get the really cool matte black metal rollerball pen somewhere on the pens subreddit. EDIT: BigiDesign XTS Titanium
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 November 2015, 20:46:15 by dohbot »

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1413 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 21:11:05 »

Guys.. I don't have an ink problem.. I swear.. Nothing excessive about this..

..And I already have all the spots empty waiting for the Isellpens samples still on the way, in alphabetical order of course. In my defense, the majority of my samples are all from that sale and were only 25 or 50 cents... :x

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1414 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 22:34:32 »
Show Image

..And I already have all the spots empty waiting for the Isellpens samples still on the way, in alphabetical order of course. In my defense, the majority of my samples are all from that sale and were only 25 or 50 cents... :x

I have trays like that, but they are full of my science.  Have you considered some sort of group therapy?  They might even have a correspondence version.

Offline clochette

« Reply #1415 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 05:05:25 »
Show Image

oh wow, thats alot of samples

any favourites to share?

i'm currently on pilot iroshizuku, probably the smoothest i've tried so far

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1416 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 05:29:50 »
How do you work on the different style fonts?
Just nitpicking a little: when talking about handwriting, you don't have different style fonts, you have different style hands.

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1417 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 02:37:34 »
Show Image

I have trays like that, but they are full of my science.  Have you considered some sort of group therapy?  They might even have a correspondence version.
Correspondence Anonymous.. has a nice ring to it. Maybe I can start a group myself.

Show Image

any favourites to share?

Iroshizuku is amazing. Yama-budo is one of my favorite inks, if not my favorite. I'm also in love with Sailor Yama-dori, Diamine Marine, Diamine Hope Pink, J. Herbin Rose tendresse and of course, Emerald of Chivor.

Noodler's Sanguro Wine and Black Swan Australian Roses are another two current favorites.

I have quite a few more samples coming in that I have to swatch and catalog... damn that ink sample sale. I might need a fourth rack... God help me.

Offline clochette

« Reply #1418 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 03:05:56 »
Show Image

any favourites to share?

Iroshizuku is amazing. Yama-budo is one of my favorite inks, if not my favorite. I'm also in love with Sailor Yama-dori, Diamine Marine, Diamine Hope Pink, J. Herbin Rose tendresse and of course, Emerald of Chivor.

Noodler's Sanguro Wine and Black Swan Australian Roses are another two current favorites.

I have quite a few more samples coming in that I have to swatch and catalog... damn that ink sample sale. I might need a fourth rack... God help me.
[/quote]

I have tried Diamine, but nowhere close compared to Iroshizuku. Would definitely like to try out the rest you have listed..

I recall there was a monthly sample drop box for inks am I right?

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1419 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 05:24:55 »
Show Image

any favourites to share?

I have tried Diamine, but nowhere close compared to Iroshizuku. Would definitely like to try out the rest you have listed..

I recall there was a monthly sample drop box for inks am I right?
[/quote]
I would say Iroshizuku is one of the best brands I've tried by far. Take-sumi is my favorite black ink too so far. You must try Yama-budo if you like that color ink :)

Goulet has a monthly ink drop. I think it's $10 and you get 5 samples. While the surprise factor seems fun.. I just can't justify the cost. Goulet samples are 2ml, whereas Anderson gives 3ml for the same price that Goulet charges. So that's $2 a sample from Goulet for the drop.. and they're only 2ml. I have only gotten a few samples from Goulet because of the difference in volume.. but the majority of mine are all from Anderson and Isellpens (Who also give 3ml, and some of my samples were actually a little more full than 3ml!).

So I would say to get samples from Anderson :) I've spent so much money at their website, dear God.... They probably think I'm nuts LOL.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1420 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:53:52 »
Show Image

Wow. I dig it though! That's awesome. And at 25 or 50 cents a pop, that really isn't bad. I can't bring myself to buy samples right now because I'd drop $30 I don't have on just 15-18 samples. Oh well.

And your letter arrived yesterday! Talk about ink demonstration. Two of the four inks were inks I was considering, and now seeming them on the page has me thinking I need to pick them up ASAP. As well as a stub nib. The wax seal was intact and holding when the letter arrived as well.

How do you work on the different style fonts?
Just nitpicking a little: when talking about handwriting, you don't have different style fonts, you have different style hands.

Ohh, okay. I really didn't know! But it's good to know now so I can speak the language better. Thank you!

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline graefeln

« Reply #1421 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:58:13 »
I would say Iroshizuku is one of the best brands I've tried by far. Take-sumi is my favorite black ink too so far. You must try Yama-budo if you like that color ink :)
So I would say to get samples from Anderson :) I've spent so much money at their website, dear God.... They probably think I'm nuts LOL.

...and ordered. I was going to ask for a recommendation on a black ink, but you've already given one - and seeing as how you have sampled so many inks, I feel it is one I should listen to. I also just purchased my second pen - a Pelikan 205 in amethyst to go with it.

Offline iri

« Reply #1422 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 07:59:24 »
Iroshizuku is considered "elite" inks, Diamine is more know for their quality-to-price rate and archival series (recommended for use here in the UK).

By the way, I just bought a Platinum PTL-5000 and find its nib too draggy and in need of smoothing :(
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Larken

« Reply #1423 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 09:21:17 »
For a nicely behaved, permanent black, try Sailor Kiwaguro. Slightly higher maintenance as its a nano-pigment ink, but the degree of water and light fastness once the ink dries is pretty amazing.

I like Iroshizuku (and the Sailor stuff, which performs similarly at comparably lower prices) alot, but having days of notes become pages of smudges after getting caught in a light drizzle made me stop using them, except for the less important stuff.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1424 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 18:23:44 »
Show Image

Wow. I dig it though! That's awesome. And at 25 or 50 cents a pop, that really isn't bad. I can't bring myself to buy samples right now because I'd drop $30 I don't have on just 15-18 samples. Oh well.

And your letter arrived yesterday! Talk about ink demonstration. Two of the four inks were inks I was considering, and now seeming them on the page has me thinking I need to pick them up ASAP. As well as a stub nib. The wax seal was intact and holding when the letter arrived as well.
Oh yay!! That's awesome news that the seal held up.. It really IS flexible wax as it specified :) I have an initial seal to use too next time, haven't used it yet.

What other inks did I use, I can't remember now LOL. After your letter, I decided to stick to one color for every letter. Use either a bunch of blue shades, a bunch of purple, a bunch of pink, etc. It seems to flow better :) I used Yama-budo, right? God I love that ink. That's one ink that I eventually definitely will need a bottle of. I hope my handwriting was legible for you haha.

My two Anderson orders from last week are still just stuck in transit somewhere.. still no update after leaving the Flushing facility on Sunday :( I've never had something take THAT long without an update. Even my nib that was lost somewhere got to me quicker. I think I realized what the issue is. For some reason, my Paypal address had my street as "e street" with a lowercase e, instead of "E Street". Maybe that caused some kind of issues at the sorting places.

I also got some 1/2" round labels to put on top of my bottles with a swatch of each. Make it even EASIER to find colors randomly haha. Also going to have a ton of new swatch cards to do when my orders get here.. I really am going to use up all those Mnemosyne word book sheets, yikes. Now I'm really kicking myself that I didn't get a third just in case.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1425 on: Wed, 04 November 2015, 18:35:36 »
Show Image

Oh yay!! That's awesome news that the seal held up.. It really IS flexible wax as it specified :) I have an initial seal to use too next time, haven't used it yet.

What other inks did I use, I can't remember now LOL. After your letter, I decided to stick to one color for every letter. Use either a bunch of blue shades, a bunch of purple, a bunch of pink, etc. It seems to flow better :) I used Yama-budo, right? God I love that ink. That's one ink that I eventually definitely will need a bottle of. I hope my handwriting was legible for you haha.

My two Anderson orders from last week are still just stuck in transit somewhere.. still no update after leaving the Flushing facility on Sunday :( I've never had something take THAT long without an update. Even my nib that was lost somewhere got to me quicker. I think I realized what the issue is. For some reason, my Paypal address had my street as "e street" with a lowercase e, instead of "E Street". Maybe that caused some kind of issues at the sorting places.

I also got some 1/2" round labels to put on top of my bottles with a swatch of each. Make it even EASIER to find colors randomly haha. Also going to have a ton of new swatch cards to do when my orders get here.. I really am going to use up all those Mnemosyne word book sheets, yikes. Now I'm really kicking myself that I didn't get a third just in case.

You used Emerald of Chivor, Diamine Purple Pazzazz, Yama-budo, and J. Herbin Rose Tendresse. I certainly feel like I need the first three now. At least the Emerald and Yama-budo. It's been settled. I'll be buying a bottle of those at some point. I heard you were staying to one color. I'm looking forward to seeing it! I'll be writing you back soon. I'm going to a soccer match tonight though. I'll certainly be able to write tomorrow.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #1426 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 13:50:53 »
Apparently it's almost fountain pen day!

...as if every day isn't fountain pen day!?  :p
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1427 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 16:03:09 »

I got in my order from that site you recommended me today! 8 different inks, cleaning supplies, and a few notebooks :D

Sadly it came right as I was leaving for work so I had zero time to play with it all :(
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1428 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 18:34:54 »

Oh hey it's been Fountain Pen Day here for just over eleven and a half hours!

Yay fountain pens :)

* rowdy brandishes his humble Pilot V-Pen
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1429 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 21:02:37 »
Show Image

You used Emerald of Chivor, Diamine Purple Pazzazz, Yama-budo, and J. Herbin Rose Tendresse. I certainly feel like I need the first three now. At least the Emerald and Yama-budo. It's been settled. I'll be buying a bottle of those at some point. I heard you were staying to one color. I'm looking forward to seeing it! I'll be writing you back soon. I'm going to a soccer match tonight though. I'll certainly be able to write tomorrow.
Emerald of Chivor is so gorgeous. Only thing I hate, is that when the gold flecks settle in the pen, the ink just comes out looking like a regular flat color. Still a nice color though, it's a lot like Sailor Yama-dori. But I wish the flecks stayed more consistent for me haha. Can't wait for the next letter :D Already ready to write another!

I got in my order from that site you recommended me today! 8 different inks, cleaning supplies, and a few notebooks :D

Sadly it came right as I was leaving for work so I had zero time to play with it all :(

Ohh what site? Not that I need anymore pen-related sites to look at...

The rest of my Isellpens stuff gets here tomorrow. A few more samples and the Eco. But I FINALLY got my other two orders from Anderson that were lost in traffic. Finally have a case to hold my pens instead of having to constantly gather them up all over the place yay. Also, getting some Tomoe River paper to FINALLY try.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1430 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 08:01:00 »
Fountain Pen Day is here and there's lots of sales and content being pushed out. Edison is doing a little thing where if you buy one of their pens, you can get a free nib grind. So once again....I went to drool over the pump filler Menlo in clear cobalt blue.

I've had the chance to write with the Menlo twice. Both times it was at the Edison booth at a show. Brian and Andrea are so nice and knowledgeable. And he invents his own filling systems! I could watch this gif all day.

More info on the Menlo pump filling system

In the spirit of the day, what's everyone been using their pens for lately? I've been addressing envelopes for tactile and taking work notes. I owe Syribo a letter as well :(.

Offline iri

« Reply #1431 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 09:06:46 »
I write and draw with my pens.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1432 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 09:10:12 »

I know I saw those lovely animal pictures you posted previously but you said those were from a friend right? Do you have any drawings of your own?

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1433 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 10:09:40 »
Speaking of drawing with pens.  Just gonna leave this here because I doubt the owner will post the image.

Kudos gifted me with some Snackeys, and I had to give him a thank you :)

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1434 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 10:28:23 »
Speaking of drawing with pens.  Just gonna leave this here because I doubt the owner will post the image.

Show Image

That's awesome! I don't do much drawing except the occasional DragonBall Z character. I do write a personal thank you note to anyone who buys or trades and artisan with me.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1435 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 10:29:06 »

Show Image

I really like the drawing but I'm a little confused. That's an odd depiction of Navi.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1436 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 10:56:28 »
Syribo, you should get a Yink, I think.

"This one, I think, is called a Yink.
He likes to wink. He likes to drink.
He likes to drink, and drink, and drink.
The thing he likes to drink is ink.
The ink he likes to drink is pink.
He likes to wink and drink pink ink.
So, if you have a lot of ink,
Then you should get a Yink, I think."

« Last Edit: Fri, 06 November 2015, 11:56:01 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1437 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 12:53:00 »
I got a Medium nib Pilot Metropolitan and a bottle of J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche ink for my birthday. This is somewhat useless because my handwriting is terrible due to coordination problems and I never actually write anything, but I've been noodling about with it anyway because this ink is really pretty lol. I want more pretty ink but I have no idea what I'd even do with it.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline iri

« Reply #1438 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 15:14:32 »

I know I saw those lovely animal pictures you posted previously but you said those were from a friend right? Do you have any drawings of your own?
Yes.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1439 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 15:29:07 »

Yes.

Show Image

Damn I look posh in that drawing <3

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #1440 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 19:36:04 »
Happy Fountain Pen Day................Fountain Pen and Ink Lovers :cool:

More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Syribo

« Reply #1441 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 19:39:50 »

Show Image

That looks so awesome. I need to try doodling and drawing with my pens sometime, I haven't.. I always stick to pencil or marker. I hope you get my letter sometime soon, you should :) You'll have to let me know if the wax seal gets there intact. I used different wax on yours than on THSDrummers, curious to see how it holds up.

FrostyToast, I'm writing your letter now :D I wanted to wait for some new stuff to come in first. Now just waiting on my initial wax seal and red wax to get here Monday. It's gonna look awesome on these envelopes I got.

Anyone else get in on all of the Fountain Pen Day contests and raffles? I must have done like ten of them. I know I won't win, but ya never know!

Got my TWSBI Eco today :) I already love it.. the 1.1mm stub nib on it is SOOO smooth, wow. Gonna put some 1670 Rouge Hematite in it... it will look so pretty in the chamber :)

I got my little circle labels today... been working tonight on putting them on each sample bottle and swabbing them. It's actually working out even better than I expected. I'll post a pic once I am completely done with them all. I'm not even halfway through yet... I must have used 100 cotton swabs today lol

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1442 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 09:54:21 »
I put a Pilot Metropolitan (M) on my birthday/christmas wish list, after reading about it on reddit. Soon I might be able to join the ranks of the rest of you devout fountain pen geeks.

Offline iri

« Reply #1443 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:06:28 »
I put a Pilot Metropolitan (M) on my birthday/christmas wish list, after reading about it on reddit. Soon I might be able to join the ranks of the rest of you devout fountain pen geeks.
gooood

-Ray Bradbury

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1444 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 10:20:01 »

Looks like someone is sending a message to their secret santa...  :p

Offline chroness

• HHKB Fanboy
« Reply #1445 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 16:03:05 »
I recently joined this forum (have been doing a bit of lurking), but I too am into fountain pens! My daily writer is a TWSBI Diamond 580AL but I also regularly use my metropolitan.

Just ordered a Parker 50 and am super excited to have my first vintage :D
Cup is love, Cup is life

Offline iri

« Reply #1446 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 18:57:25 »
Why not the 51?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline chroness

• HHKB Fanboy
« Reply #1447 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 19:56:24 »
Why not the 51?
Oops my bad that was a typo. Ironic on a keyboard forum
Cup is love, Cup is life

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1448 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 21:22:00 »
Got my TWSBI Eco today :) I already love it.. the 1.1mm stub nib on it is SOOO smooth, wow. Gonna put some 1670 Rouge Hematite in it... it will look so pretty in the chamber :)

I love the piston on mine, but I'm not sold on the fine nib.  Seems a little scratchy to me.  Not sure if it's the ink, the paper, the nib, or all of the above.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1449 on: Tue, 10 November 2015, 21:23:40 »
twsbi <3
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.