Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427503 times)

Offline SL89

Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1450 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 10:04:57 »
It's been a while since I've posted  in this thread and the Eco is holding up well. I must say, it is a real workhorse. I've put it through all hell and back and temperatures and various inks. This is a fine pen.

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1451 on: Wed, 11 November 2015, 10:34:58 »
I put a Pilot Metropolitan (M) on my birthday/christmas wish list, after reading about it on reddit. Soon I might be able to join the ranks of the rest of you devout fountain pen geeks.

Looks like someone is sending a message to their secret santa...  :p

Heh, I am running the Secret Santa at work and put it on my wishlist for my family. I mean, if I end up with a bunch of Pilot pens I will not complain, they look awesome.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1452 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 18:24:20 »
So much fountain, great pen, very show, such Columbus OH, wow!

Pics coming soon.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1453 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 18:25:11 »
In incredible and related news, Binge wallethacked me. Unbelieveable...Thank you Binge for making those PFM dreams come true.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1454 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 18:33:49 »
In incredible and related news, Binge wallethacked me. Unbelieveable...Thank you Binge for making those PFM dreams come true.
The legacy PFM scare/thrill of 2015 will be a fresh and funky memory into 2016 no doubt.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1455 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 17:53:08 »
I just started getting into fountain pens and I bought a Lamy Safari with a medium nib. Its soooo nice to write with :D Now I just need to find a notebook with decent paper that won't bleed through. Any tips?
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1456 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 17:55:43 »
I just started getting into fountain pens and I bought a Lamy Safari with a medium nib. Its soooo nice to write with :D Now I just need to find a notebook with decent paper that won't bleed through. Any tips?

I say this to erreone.  Buy SN^2 paper.  It's not the smoothest feeling but it has no problems taking whatever kind of ink punishment you want to dish out, and the color/effects of your ink stays true.

You have to order via e-mail, but it is worth it.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1457 on: Mon, 16 November 2015, 17:56:47 »

I say this to erreone.  Buy SN^2 paper.  It's not the smoothest feeling but it has no problems taking whatever kind of ink punishment you want to dish out, and the color/effects of your ink stays true.

You have to order via e-mail, but it is worth it.

I'll give it a look after class :D Thank you sir.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1458 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 06:37:23 »
Small notebooks with paper with no bleedthrough that I've tried:

- Rhodia
- Clairefontaine
- anything with Tomoe River such as these Backpocket Journals
- Apica Notebooks

For larger notebooks I just stick with Rhodia. I'm really loyal to Rhodia for some reason lol.

I like Field Notes even if they've got bleedthrough and I'm currently using notebooks that jdcarpe made for my work notes.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1459 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 06:51:56 »
Alternately most people seem to like Rhodia notepads. (Ninja'd by Cap while I was writing a novel)

I got another pen and more ink. Kaweco Skyline Sport white, medium nib, and a few cartridges in colors I wanted to try. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, been sick so I don't feel up to cleaning it. Also got a bottle of Noodler's Apache Sunset. Only been able to try it with a terrible scratchy dip pen nib I have so lots of feathering and very little shading, but I already like this color and I don't usually like orange. I'm sure it'll look better in a pen that isn't godawful. XD; Still have the Bleu Pervenche in the Metro because I don't write much, derp.

Heh, kind of off-topic since it's not writing or fountain pens, but I remember now why all those years ago I used to use a Speedball C5 calligraphy nib to ink my drawings prior to coloring rather than an 'art' nib, the C5 was narrow enough to look like a normal line and didn't literally rip apart the paper... Weird I guess to use a 1mm italic nib for inking outlines, but I always rotated the paper around to the most comfortable angle for the line for inking to help overcome my poor eye-hand coordination so the variation didn't come into play much except on longer lines where you wouldn't have noticed it much anyway. I had art pens I used sometimes, but they stopped making the one I liked and the dip pen feathered less on the paper I had at the time even if the line was thicker. I should see if I can find one online, lost mine when I moved in 2001 and haven't seen one in a store since. Maybe get some other nibs too, like the B series that's actually intended for inking linework lawl. The one benefit of dip pens is that ink ADD is easy to accommodate rofl.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1460 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 20:06:32 »
Does anyone here have an experience with a Pilot Prera M? I might pull the trigger on a used one and want a second opinion. I'm loving my Lamy Safari, I just want another one for ease of having different colors.

Offline Larken

« Reply #1461 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 20:57:12 »
Does anyone here have an experience with a Pilot Prera M? I might pull the trigger on a used one and want a second opinion. I'm loving my Lamy Safari, I just want another one for ease of having different colors.

Bit short, meant to be used while posted. Balance is decent. M nib writes like a Lamy F/EF (as they're pretty damn similar). Relatively dry out of the box, but very smooth. Can be converted to an eyedropper easily.

I probably should add that they're not really worth their US retail price. Bought direct in Japan they're only about 18 usd. When placed against the metropolitan (same nib, metal body), it would seem like poor value, but I prefer the prera over the metro (I dislike the step on the metro's barrel).
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 November 2015, 21:03:13 by Larken »
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1462 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 21:14:11 »

They're fine if you want interesting colours that you would normally never want to put in a pen.
You can clearly see what colour they are inside and they are relatively cheap so you don't have to worry about staining them with something like Baystate Blue.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1463 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 21:20:27 »

They're fine if you want interesting colours that you would normally never want to put in a pen.
You can clearly see what colour they are inside and they are relatively cheap so you don't have to worry about staining them with something like Baystate Blue.

Awesome, I was planning on using it for fun colors so that makes it perfect :)

Bit short, meant to be used while posted. Balance is decent. M nib writes like a Lamy F/EF (as they're pretty damn similar). Relatively dry out of the box, but very smooth. Can be converted to an eyedropper easily.

I probably should add that they're not really worth their US retail price. Bought direct in Japan they're only about 18 usd. When placed against the metropolitan (same nib, metal body), it would seem like poor value, but I prefer the prera over the metro (I dislike the step on the metro's barrel).

I know it's not off the shelf, but the person I'm buying it from is selling it for 30 shipped with the converter so it makes it a much better value then the retail price. We shall see how it goes once it comes in!

Offline Larken

« Reply #1464 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 21:56:35 »

I know it's not off the shelf, but the person I'm buying it from is selling it for 30 shipped with the converter so it makes it a much better value then the retail price. We shall see how it goes once it comes in!

That's not too bad then. Enjoy your pen!
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1465 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 11:10:20 »

Awesome, I was planning on using it for fun colors so that makes it perfect :)

That's a sizable expense for a beater pen... $30 shipped? yeesh

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1466 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 16:04:00 »
Binge I'm waiting to see photos of your OMAS here.
You're disappointing us, man!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #1467 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 10:14:38 »
There's a massdrop for Diamine Shimmertastic ink (they are metallic).  Are they safe to use in most pens?  Don't want to ruin my newly repaired and nice-flowing Stipula celluloid...
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #1468 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 10:16:24 »

WTF. You were supposed to sew hidden pockets into your pants and grab me some pens. Did Binge steer you on the right path and away from my dark pleas?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1469 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 10:54:19 »
Binge I'm waiting to see photos of your OMAS here.
You're disappointing us, man!

I actually have like... 100 or so photos from the show.  Still processing them.

WTF. You were supposed to sew hidden pockets into your pants and grab me some pens. Did Binge steer you on the right path and away from my dark pleas?

Need a baller pen?  Hit me up.

Offline iri

« Reply #1470 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:15:25 »
There's a massdrop for Diamine Shimmertastic ink (they are metallic).  Are they safe to use in most pens?  Don't want to ruin my newly repaired and nice-flowing Stipula celluloid...
Yes.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1471 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:21:01 »

Just don't let them dry out.
Oddly enough, metals tend to not evaporate.
Normal ink, if dry, will be softened by water or other solvents. Metals, not so much, but you can still flush it out with some more effort. Metals, though, are not more harmful in any way, shape, or form

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1472 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:25:51 »

I mean I got you pens if you want pens. Not the super expensive ones that Binge is trying to offload either :P.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1473 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:27:41 »
Wait you're giving away fancy pens?

Dibs.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1474 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:29:31 »

I mean I got you pens if you want pens. Not the super expensive ones that Binge is trying to offload either :P.

Can't put a small price on the danqest of writing implements.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1475 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:30:00 »

Dibs.

Binge is planning on selling his visconti homo sapiens demonstrators for a reasonable price. Though it's way more than I'm willing to pay which says a lot. That being said, what he's selling for is more than fair.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1476 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:31:14 »

Dibs.

Binge is planning on selling his visconti homo sapiens demonstrators for a reasonable price. Though it's way more than I'm willing to pay which says a lot. That being said, what he's selling for is more than fair.

It's true!

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1477 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 13:37:17 »
Why are you selling it Binge?

Last I heard you were really enjoying it.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1478 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:15:38 »
Why are you selling it Binge?

Last I heard you were really enjoying it.

I found something I couldn't live without.  These are nice but I can live, regrettably, without them.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1479 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 14:27:44 »
I found something I couldn't live without.
Spoiler: it was his love for me

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1480 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 15:01:53 »
Those are beautiful binge! Sadly the prera deal fell through.. Onwards to search for more pens :D what's everyone's favorite ink?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1481 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 15:10:26 »
Those are beautiful binge! Sadly the prera deal fell through.. Onwards to search for more pens :D what's everyone's favorite ink?

Too many nice inks out there.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1482 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 17:05:35 »

Dibs.

It's true!

Show Image

Jesus ****ing Christ that blue pen my soul just died a little.  :'(
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1483 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 17:09:05 »

Dibs.

It's true!

Show Image

I haven't taken a good picture of it in a while.  Need to do that for him to sell.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1484 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 17:15:00 »

Dibs.

It's true!

Show Image

I haven't taken a good picture of it in a while.  Need to do that for him to sell.

Even with the potato it's gorgeous lol but probably like 800 bucks rofl.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1485 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 17:56:24 »
OMAS has recently filled for bankruptcy and it is highly possible that they will shut down their operation. And I just need to buy a pen made of Arco celluloid, they are too stunning to let them pass:

Still picking a model, but man, those pens are expensive. :'( Probably will need to sell some keyboards and unused pens for that.

EDIT: I'm selling a Montblanc 149 and a Mabie Todd Swan at Fountain Pen Network. If someone is interested, contact me there. Same name and avatar.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2015, 19:47:03 by VinnyCordeiro »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1486 on: Thu, 19 November 2015, 18:03:31 »
OMAS has recently filled for bankruptcy and it is highly possible that they will shut down their operation. And I just need to buy a pen made of Arco celluloid, they are too stunning to let them pass:

Show Image

Still picking a model, but man, those pens are expensive. :'( Probably will need to sell some keyboards and unused pens for that.

heyyy there's my pen.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1487 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 20:26:52 »
Someone left a Parker 51 Vacumatic on my desk for me (or at least I assume it was for me since it obviously had not been used in a long time).  I have no clue when it showed up or who left it, but I thought it was cool.  It's not the best feeling pen (my Pilot Metro feels better), but it's an awesome piece of history.  I put some Pelikan 4001 Black in it and it still works great.  Pretty impressive for how old it has to be.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1488 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 09:56:53 »
Massdrop is currently killing it with special deals at the moment.  L2K for $104, L2K stainless for under $200, Pelikan M600 for less than $300, Platinum President for less than $150, and Lamy Dialogue for $200.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1489 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 09:08:38 »
I lost my Eco. Idk what to do  :'(

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1490 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 10:44:39 »
I need a pen restoration expert.  I have 3 FP's from my Grandfather's estate, all are Sheaffers I believe.  One is an unused/uninked NIB Pen for Him.  I'd like to get them all to working order, or at least to the point where I'm not worried about them deteriorating inside due to old ink, etc.  Does anyone know sby they trust to do this kind of thing?  How much would it cost?
I'm back.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1491 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 10:54:18 »
I need a pen restoration expert.  I have 3 FP's from my Grandfather's estate, all are Sheaffers I believe.  One is an unused/uninked NIB Pen for Him.  I'd like to get them all to working order, or at least to the point where I'm not worried about them deteriorating inside due to old ink, etc.  Does anyone know sby they trust to do this kind of thing?  How much would it cost?

Go to a pen show.  Lots of repair people.  Test out their pens they restore, ask about the process... You might like their work, or they might point you in the direction of another skilled repairman.  Likely they can restore your pen for a fee.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1492 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 10:55:28 »
I attend a fountain pen club in Cincinnati with two poem repair experts. I could help you out of you like heedpantsnow. The last pen I took over to them was a co workers grandmother's pens

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1493 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 11:38:31 »

Go to a pen show.  Lots of repair people.  Test out their pens they restore, ask about the process... You might like their work, or they might point you in the direction of another skilled repairman.  Likely they can restore your pen for a fee.

I've looked and I don't see any in my area on the horizon.  Is there somewhere on the web that tracks pen shows?

I attend a fountain pen club in Cincinnati with two poem repair experts. I could help you out of you like heedpantsnow. The last pen I took over to them was a co workers grandmother's pens

I'll PM you later.  Thanks bud.
I'm back.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1494 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 11:41:26 »
I've looked and I don't see any in my area on the horizon.  Is there somewhere on the web that tracks pen shows?

There's a set amount of the big pen shows. Here's a list from 2015. Here's some confirmed for 2016. And this is for smaller pen shows/meetups/clubs. Of course, those are just pen vendor sites but the old FPGeeks Pen Show link is gone now.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1495 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 12:42:32 »
I got my lamy converter, two bottles of Noodler's ink, and a pilot metro in the mail today :D I loaded the Bernanke Blue into the lamy already.. it's writing kind of faint. Like the lines are a little light in color then what I thought it was gonna be. Could this be because there was a little water in the pen from when I cleaned it through last night?

Offline drewba

« Reply #1496 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 12:50:16 »
Putting my Lamy Safari to good use. I really like this pen.

Offline iri

« Reply #1497 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 18:25:43 »
I got my lamy converter, two bottles of Noodler's ink, and a pilot metro in the mail today :D I loaded the Bernanke Blue into the lamy already.. it's writing kind of faint. Like the lines are a little light in color then what I thought it was gonna be. Could this be because there was a little water in the pen from when I cleaned it through last night?
Yes.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1498 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 18:28:13 »
Yes.

I guess the best fix is to just reload it once it's empty? it's not going to damage anything right?

Offline iri

« Reply #1499 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 18:36:30 »
It may write in full colour soon when excess water is fully rinsed from the pen.

-Ray Bradbury