Author Topic: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread  (Read 427498 times)

Offline ccarlitos2

Re: Geekhack Handwriting Thread and Fountain Pen Thread
« Reply #1500 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 18:38:14 »
It may write in full colour soon when excess water is fully rinsed from the pen.

awesome! thank you so much for the help :)
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1501 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 19:50:40 »
I lost my Eco. Idk what to do  :'(

buy another one!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1502 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 21:19:04 »
You are right. The medium was too broad I think. Either that or look into other brands.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1503 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 12:37:56 »
Participated in Reddit Secret Santa for the first time this year. I text messaged my brother at my home address (where I gave my address for my Secret Santa) and he said a package arrived from Goulet Pens addressed to my Reddit name. Ahh. The anticipation is killing me to see what my Secret Santa got me! It's already a good gift, either way ;D

I'll be home in a week from college. I'll share the spoilers whenever I find out for myself :thumb:

Leopold FC660m  CM Stealth TKL

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1504 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 12:59:21 »
Participated in Reddit Secret Santa for the first time this year. I text messaged my brother at my home address (where I gave my address for my Secret Santa) and he said a package arrived from Goulet Pens addressed to my Reddit name. Ahh. The anticipation is killing me to see what my Secret Santa got me! It's already a good gift, either way ;D

I'll be home in a week from college. I'll share the spoilers whenever I find out for myself :thumb:

Was burned hard in reddit SS.  Never again.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1505 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 13:27:33 »

I'm sorry Binge. Cant wait to see what you get though drummer

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1506 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 14:21:33 »

I'm curious what happened? I really think it's a bit of a gamble signing up. Just because some people are entering essentially as a contest to be matched to the few well-known celebrities gifts.

WTB: ^^ (O-Zone Bro V2), Drunk Skull, Oktoberfest, Laser/Poison/Woodland HKPs, G1 HKP Gas Masks
MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1507 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 14:26:11 »

I'm curious what happened? I really think it's a bit of a gamble signing up. Just because some people are entering essentially as a contest to be matched to the few well-known celebrities gifts.

It always seems *****y to hear about why someone doesn't appreciate a gift so I don't want to go into it, but you should know the person wrote me a note "I know you said you like X, but that's bad so I got you Y because Y is great and I like Y and you shouldn't like X anymore."  FFS I would have rather gotten socks.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1508 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 19:25:03 »

It always seems *****y to hear about why someone doesn't appreciate a gift so I don't want to go into it, but you should know the person wrote me a note "I know you said you like X, but that's bad so I got you Y because Y is great and I like Y and you shouldn't like X anymore."  FFS I would have rather gotten socks.

Dang. That really stinks. My brother signed up for it and asked me (before pairing) if I planned on getting them a gift in my interests to introduce them to it, or get them a gift for their interests. I did the latter, and told him to do that. I think he did. It's also tough, because some people assume they should push off their (superior) activities on others. Meanwhile, others thoughtfully research their giftee's interests and get them a tasteful gift. Unfortunately, I think there is about a 50% mix.

I remember seeing a post of a "college survival kit". It was ramen noodles (one pack, I think), a bottle opener, condoms, all wrapped in TP. That is, if I recall it correctly. I know there was at least a pack of Ramen and everything was wrapped in TP....

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1509 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 17:34:02 »
I have a serious problem. I got my TWSBI 580AL Blue Broad today, and I have no idea which ink I have to put in it. I have samples/bottles of:

Noodler's Apache Sunset
Diamine Shimmertastic Night Sky
Diamine Shimmertastic Blue Lightning
Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun
Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun
Private Reserve Electric DC Blue
J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor

Also a bottle of J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche but that's in my Metropolitan so it's out of the running.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1510 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 18:48:15 »
I have a serious problem. I got my TWSBI 580AL Blue Broad today, and I have no idea which ink I have to put in it. I have samples/bottles of:

Noodler's Apache Sunset

Also a bottle of J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche but that's in my Metropolitan so it's out of the running.

Put in Diamine Shimmertastic Blue Lightning or Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun and write me a letter ;)

J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor is a fantastic one as well. I really need to pick that up. Especially if I get a stub nib this Christmas.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline graefeln

« Reply #1511 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 08:34:18 »
Head's up: Massdrop is having a bazaar again and they have a couple BungBox inks (Dandyism, Clown's Tears, and Sapphire). I know a couple of people here mentioned wanting to try BungBox - they don't seem to have Ink of the Witch however.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1512 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 08:37:21 »

Noodler's Apache Sunset

Ah the fountain pen struggle. Sometimes I just reach into my ink drawer and whatever I grab first I use. Lately though, I've been using Mont Blanc's Pink Ink or Pilot Iroshizuku Kosumosu.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1513 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:05:11 »
Right now, I'm in love with Diamine Aqqua Lagoon.  I got a tester of it and it's just a sexy color.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1514 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:08:15 »

Noodler's Apache Sunset

Ah the fountain pen struggle. Sometimes I just reach into my ink drawer and whatever I grab first I use. Lately though, I've been using Mont Blanc's Pink Ink or Pilot Iroshizuku Kosumosu.

Anson got me hooked on MB inks.  Can't say I'm the biggest fan of this Akkerman other than the bottle, but the MB inks are silky as fk.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1515 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 19:25:25 »
I went with the Fuyu-Syogun for the TWSBI. I need a bottle of this ink now. Hnnnngh. Such a lovely cool grey, definitely very wintery. I love it. My mom had a cat this colour once. The nib has a lot of feedback, which is new, but doesn't feel scratchy or anything. Had some skipping at first but after a few hours and some writing that seems to have gone away, probably just didn't flush it enough initially.

I got my Induses(Indii?) in from FPR, got one when they had a buy one get one free thing. Got it with the flex nib so I could play around with that without the smell issues everyone complains about with the Noodlers ones, I'm sensitive to odors.

One thing I've noticed with both my TWSBI and these, how the *hell* do you get all the water out of a piston? Disassemble it every time I guess? Actually leave it overnight instead of blowing the water out with a bulb syringe? Voodoo rituals?

I put the PR Electric DC Blue in one of them because if it stains a cheapie demo that has blue anyway I won't be that irritated. Working well so far, started right up. This is definitely not a subtle blue in any way, very dark and in your face. Surprisingly it does give a bit of shading, was not expecting that from the writing samples I've seen pictures of. Naturally the cap on the sample vial must've gotten a little loose at one point as there was some on the threads of the vial which naturally got allll over my hands and may never come out rofl.

Still debating the other one. One of the shimmer inks I think.

So currently:

Pilot Metropolitan, silver, medium nib: J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche
Kaweco Skyline Sport, white, medium nib: J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie (This is so far my least favorite pen, it's crabby, but that might be the ink cartridge. The ink doesn't really move around in it and seems really dry, which is a shame because I love the colour. It took an age to start up initially, doesn't start well still, skips, argh.)
TWSBI 580AL blue, broad nib: Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun
FPR Indus, blue demo, flex nib: Private Reserve DC Blue

Also a blue Preppy and a blue-black Petit1 for 'who cares if I lose this carrying it around, it's like 4 bucks with tax, I can buy these by the fistful in Japantown'.
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1516 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 19:40:06 »
got a nice package from inanis. pilot metro and some iroshizuku ink.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1517 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 11:44:20 »
Well, I'm stoked. Just arrived home for holiday break only to see dad has stocked the fridge with good beer, and they won some local beers at a White Elephant that I haven't ever tried. Not only that, but my Reddit Secret Santa delivered - and big time.

It may not seem like much, but it's my first Pilot Iroshizuku inks I've owned outside of the 2mL vial of Asa-Goa (which I loved, I used it all up quickly). Not only that, but I don't own any blue inks, so I finally have something in that department. I also think Yama-Budu is one of the better looking inks on the market and was heavily considering picking a bottle up post-holiday season. So, now I have a blue ink, one of my favorite inks, and some Pilot Iroshizuku so I can stop gawking at all the posts about it.

I got three letters in the mail, so looks like I'll have to ink up some Yama-Budu and get to writing :p

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline Nalor

« Reply #1518 on: Sun, 13 December 2015, 21:22:53 »
I really should ink one of my fountain pens with a color other than Noodle Black. (I do have a bunch of colors, but I tend to use black the most for work.) Consider that I'm only taking notes for me at work, I should be able to use other colors, but I keep returning to simple black.

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1519 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 21:07:23 »
I posted this on Reddit but I might as well post it here, my current pens and what they're inked with and a sample of their writing:

Top to bottom:

FPR Indus demo, flex nib, J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor
Osmiroid 65, sketch pen nib, Noodler's Apache Sunset
FPR Indus demo, flex nib, Private Reserve Electric DC Blue
Pilot Metropolitan, medium nib, J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche
TWSBI Diamond 580AL blue, broad nib, Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun
Kaweco Skyline Sport, medium nib, J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie
Platinum Preppy, medium nib, included blue cartridge
Pilot Petit1, fine nib, included blue-black cartridge

Thoughts:

FPR pens: It's almost impossible to get all the water out after flushing it, even more so than the TWSBI. Gave both some initial flushing with water and filled them from sample vials, both started right up without problems. The line variation isn't huge but that's a thing with modern flex nibs from what I read, and I don't put much pressure on them either. We'll see how they hold up, but given I got them as a buy one get one free for a grand total of 23 bucks shipped, I'm quite happy with them so far.

Osmiroid 65: This came from a thrift store, a set of a drawing pen set, a lettering pen set, and a hopefully unrelated bottle of pelikan india ink. If it was used it was in the lettering pen set pen which belched some black bits that do not seem to be rubber but rather ossified ink and I haven't actually tried filling yet. Only one nib per set seems to have been really used; the copperplate nib from the drawing set is toast, one of the tines is slightly bent and they slip past each other if you touch the nib to paper, but the others seem to have been unused. The pen from the drawing set is the one being used here; it immediately started with easily dissolved old ink and seems to fill OK for now, but given the age probably needs a new sac desperately - The amount held doesn't seem to last long. But I may not be filling it completely either since I don't want to push the sac too hard, and it's a *very* wet nib that slaps down a bucketload of ink. The sketch pen nib was apparently never used as unlike the others it has a white plastic base which had no sign of staining and the flush was crystal clear. It has a bit over the top of it, flexes slightly, and is an absolutely lovely nib. I paid 10 bucks for the set, so I think I did OK there.

Metro: Not a lot to say. It's the basic starter pen and what I started with. It writes nice and smooth, but I wish the line were a little wider. I definitely prefer at least a western medium, if not bold/semi-flex. Need to try a stub nib. It's a little small for my big fat hands and the big dip in at the section is a little off for me. Not much to say about it lol.

TWSBI: This is a gorgeous pen. It holds wonderfully, the weight and size are perfect without posting, it writes well, I just plain like it. The nib does have a lot of feedback, not so much scratchy as it feels a little textured as it writes. It's not unpleasant and doesn't seem to affect the writing any, it's just not as smooth as some of the other nibs I have.

Kaweco Sport: I kind of hate this pen. It hates writing, starts hard, stops, etc. Not sure if it's the nib or the ink, the ink in the cartridge doesn't behave like the ink in any other cartridge I have from any brand or even the same brand. I kind of want to pull it out, hot glue it, flush the hell out of the pen and slap a different cartridge in and see if that helps any. It holds better than the Metro shape-wise but the weight is awful for me, it feels lighter than a ballpoint to me. It's also really ugly. I could overlook the ugly if it wrote better but as it is it sits there and irritates me. I at least didn't buy it, my aunt got it for me, but still.

Preppy: Surprisingly nice. The default blue is of course deathly boring, but what can you do. Writes nicely, it's a good size. Feels a little cheap but I expect this from a pen that cost less than four bucks.

Petit1: Also surprisingly nice. Only slightly longer than the Sport and thinner. Weighs about the same but somehow feels better in the hand, guessing it has to do with the cap not being most of the length of the pen. The proprietary to this particular pen cartridge is a bit of a derp, but nothing a syringe or just buying some cheap refills in Japantown won't fix. I like it much better as a pocket pen than the Kaweco, and if I lose it, like the preppy it's less than four bucks.

Yes, my handwriting looks like a demented six year old's.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1520 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 22:08:42 »
I posted this on Reddit but I might as well post it here, my current pens and what they're inked with and a sample of their writing:

Show Image

Show Image

Top to bottom:

FPR Indus demo, flex nib, J. Herbin Emerald of Chivor
Osmiroid 65, sketch pen nib, Noodler's Apache Sunset
FPR Indus demo, flex nib, Private Reserve Electric DC Blue
Pilot Metropolitan, medium nib, J. Herbin Bleu Pervenche
TWSBI Diamond 580AL blue, broad nib, Pilot Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun
Kaweco Skyline Sport, medium nib, J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie
Platinum Preppy, medium nib, included blue cartridge
Pilot Petit1, fine nib, included blue-black cartridge

Thoughts:

FPR pens: It's almost impossible to get all the water out after flushing it, even more so than the TWSBI. Gave both some initial flushing with water and filled them from sample vials, both started right up without problems. The line variation isn't huge but that's a thing with modern flex nibs from what I read, and I don't put much pressure on them either. We'll see how they hold up, but given I got them as a buy one get one free for a grand total of 23 bucks shipped, I'm quite happy with them so far.

Osmiroid 65: This came from a thrift store, a set of a drawing pen set, a lettering pen set, and a hopefully unrelated bottle of pelikan india ink. If it was used it was in the lettering pen set pen which belched some black bits that do not seem to be rubber but rather ossified ink and I haven't actually tried filling yet. Only one nib per set seems to have been really used; the copperplate nib from the drawing set is toast, one of the tines is slightly bent and they slip past each other if you touch the nib to paper, but the others seem to have been unused. The pen from the drawing set is the one being used here; it immediately started with easily dissolved old ink and seems to fill OK for now, but given the age probably needs a new sac desperately - The amount held doesn't seem to last long. But I may not be filling it completely either since I don't want to push the sac too hard, and it's a *very* wet nib that slaps down a bucketload of ink. The sketch pen nib was apparently never used as unlike the others it has a white plastic base which had no sign of staining and the flush was crystal clear. It has a bit over the top of it, flexes slightly, and is an absolutely lovely nib. I paid 10 bucks for the set, so I think I did OK there.

Metro: Not a lot to say. It's the basic starter pen and what I started with. It writes nice and smooth, but I wish the line were a little wider. I definitely prefer at least a western medium, if not bold/semi-flex. Need to try a stub nib. It's a little small for my big fat hands and the big dip in at the section is a little off for me. Not much to say about it lol.

TWSBI: This is a gorgeous pen. It holds wonderfully, the weight and size are perfect without posting, it writes well, I just plain like it. The nib does have a lot of feedback, not so much scratchy as it feels a little textured as it writes. It's not unpleasant and doesn't seem to affect the writing any, it's just not as smooth as some of the other nibs I have.

Kaweco Sport: I kind of hate this pen. It hates writing, starts hard, stops, etc. Not sure if it's the nib or the ink, the ink in the cartridge doesn't behave like the ink in any other cartridge I have from any brand or even the same brand. I kind of want to pull it out, hot glue it, flush the hell out of the pen and slap a different cartridge in and see if that helps any. It holds better than the Metro shape-wise but the weight is awful for me, it feels lighter than a ballpoint to me. It's also really ugly. I could overlook the ugly if it wrote better but as it is it sits there and irritates me. I at least didn't buy it, my aunt got it for me, but still.

Preppy: Surprisingly nice. The default blue is of course deathly boring, but what can you do. Writes nicely, it's a good size. Feels a little cheap but I expect this from a pen that cost less than four bucks.

Petit1: Also surprisingly nice. Only slightly longer than the Sport and thinner. Weighs about the same but somehow feels better in the hand, guessing it has to do with the cap not being most of the length of the pen. The proprietary to this particular pen cartridge is a bit of a derp, but nothing a syringe or just buying some cheap refills in Japantown won't fix. I like it much better as a pocket pen than the Kaweco, and if I lose it, like the preppy it's less than four bucks.

Yes, my handwriting looks like a demented six year old's.

Those are all beautiful! I'm thinking about picking up something similar to the Apache Sunset. How would you compare it to other Noodler's inks?

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #1521 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 23:43:54 »
Those are all beautiful! I'm thinking about picking up something similar to the Apache Sunset. How would you compare it to other Noodler's inks?

It's the only Noodler's ink I have so I don't really have a frame of reference. XD;

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1522 on: Mon, 14 December 2015, 23:46:51 »

It's the only Noodler's ink I have so I don't really have a frame of reference. XD;

Awww okay xD I'm using Bernanke Blue in my Safari and Le couleur royale in my pilot Metro and I'm loving them so far.

Offline SL89

« Reply #1523 on: Tue, 15 December 2015, 21:43:39 »
Baystate blue is my dd atm. It's like playing with fire. This stuff is amazingly persistent.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1524 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 10:01:48 »
Baystate blue is my dd atm. It's like playing with fire. This stuff is amazingly persistent.

Fades wonderfully in sunlight.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1525 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 11:12:14 »

I just looked up some writing samples. It looks beautiful. I'll have to get some soon :DDD

Offline SL89

« Reply #1526 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 11:31:05 »
Be warned, it stains anything and everything. My metal sink still has blue spots.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1527 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 11:33:00 »
Be warned, it stains anything and everything. My metal sink still has blue spots.

Cleans up with some bleach though.

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1528 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 11:35:10 »

Thanks for the warning haha

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1529 on: Wed, 16 December 2015, 12:06:36 »

Cleans up with some bleach though.

also fades entirely with UV exposure.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #1530 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 13:47:35 »

Pretty much my default handwriting. I always think it's too narrow and slanted when looking at more than one line.

Maybe this instead?

I want to work on it but there is so little motivation to do so.

I had a very nice pen, the Waterman Expert until it was stolen along with my bag a few months ago (luckily the only expensive item in there at the time). Now this one I don't even take outside anymore. And while the Roting looks fun I do prefer something like the Lamy 2000 in my hand. Don't have one myself unfortunately.

Also thought about picking up a broad calligraphy nib at about 1.5 width for some writing experimentation. Maybe the clear Kaweco, since it would look nice with a colourful ink (TWSBI 580 seems excessive for the task). But yeah, totally undecided what I should do. Maybe all the future holds is crappy handwriting. I don't have anything to write with such a pen anyway.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1531 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 15:45:11 »
I visited the local pen store today just to hold pens, look at ink, and droll over items I can't afford. Been considering picking up another bottle of ink, but I'm trying to downsize my collection of items in my life. That said, I have a question: how many inks do you own? I'm not talking about 2-3 mL sample vials. I'm talking full size (15mL+ bottles).

Personally, I'm at 9, including the 3 15mL bottles from my Reddit Secret Santa. I hardly use my Noodler's Forest Green or Blue Ghost anymore. I'm hesitant to buy more inks, if I'm not even using others I own. That said, I'd sure like to pick up a few 15mL Pilot ink bottles to add variety to my setup. Maybe a full bottle of Yama-Budo since I adore that ink.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1532 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 15:50:20 »
One. While I get having many inks is nice... in the end it really is just clutter because I only use one pen at a time.

But then again I'm trying to cut down on my hoarding of everything.

Offline THSdrummer

• HKP hunter. Need moar.
« Reply #1533 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 15:55:38 »
One. While I get having many inks is nice... in the end it really is just clutter because I only use one pen at a time.

That's where I am at. I've been cleaning up quite a bit, but I still have way to much. The more ink, the more pens I "need". I own two pens and use them both pretty regularly. I think three would be ideal. One red for markups, one blue-black for professional use, and one for fun.

MY CLASSIFIEDS THREAD

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #1534 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 15:59:52 »

Good job, I need to follow your lead.  It seems like I have about 1/3 too much of so many things. :(
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1535 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 16:01:22 »
I've got the same problem ugh :(. And I just bought a new pen :( :(.

In other news, I'm trying to decide if the little Iroshizuku 15 ML glass bottles will survive a trip with me.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1536 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 16:06:13 »

In other news, I'm trying to decide if the little Iroshizuku 15 ML glass bottles will survive a trip with me.

The glass should be fine; I've traveled USA to China back and forth so many times.  Just put it in a ziplock and wrap bubblewrap or clothes around it.  The biggest issue is half-full pens.  The air inside pushes the ink out when the pressure drops.  So either take them empty or full.

And when I said I need less of things, I actually wasn't talking about pens and inks, mainly tech stuff.  So if anyone wants to declutter their pen collection, I'm sure I can help you find a home for it. :D
I'm back.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1537 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 16:10:45 »

WHAT ****ING PEN SWAYED YOUR DONGER?!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1538 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 16:11:19 »

The one you found me bruh

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1539 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 16:36:38 »

The one you found me bruh

That pen is really neat. (Sheaffer Legacy)
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2015, 16:40:14 by Binge »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1540 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 17:12:50 »

That's where I am at. I've been cleaning up quite a bit, but I still have way to much. The more ink, the more pens I "need". I own two pens and use them both pretty regularly. I think three would be ideal. One red for markups, one blue-black for professional use, and one for fun.

Good job, I need to follow your lead.  It seems like I have about 1/3 too much of so many things. :(

okay.. im kinda full of ****. the only reason im cutting down on stuff is because i need space for all the damn shoes cpt keeps linking me that i NEED.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1541 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 17:13:20 »

okay.. im kinda full of ****. the only reason im cutting down on stuff is because i need space for all the damn shoes cpt keeps linking me that i NEED.

lol
I'm back.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #1542 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 12:00:52 »
My grandfather gave me what is by far my favorite present this year at Christmas:

It's a MB 149 that he bought some time in the late 60's and has sat in its case almost entirely unused since then. Looks almost new. I've been trying to date it and don't know for sure yet, but it has some features that suggest early-to-mid 60's.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, he bought it for $33.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 December 2015, 12:02:56 by riotonthebay »

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #1543 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 12:34:12 »
My grandfather gave me what is by far my favorite present this year at Christmas:

Show Image

Show Image

It's a MB 149 that he bought some time in the late 60's and has sat in its case almost entirely unused since then. Looks almost new. I've been trying to date it and don't know for sure yet, but it has some features that suggest early-to-mid 60's.

Bruh.. thats amazing! are you gonna use it? what ink to start with if you do :)?

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #1544 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 12:39:53 »
I definitely plan on using it from time to time, but we won't keep it filled. We're going to stick with MB inks and other things that won't stain or clog.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1545 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 12:50:45 »
A vintage 1960's Montblanc 149? :eek: What a gift!

And a tip: Fountain Pen Network is the place to ask questions about them. This post is the best resource to date your 149: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/170282-dating-montblanc-149s/

To finish: Montblanc inks are awesome, but Pilot Iroshizuku and Pelikan Edelstein are also very nice inks. I would also include Diamine, but I have no experience with this well-regarded brand.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #1546 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 12:53:49 »

Show Image

Show Image

Holy Grail...............

Congrats!!

Highly desirable 149, brass (and not plastic) innards, great weight and balance.

Nice family heirloom :thumb:

As far as inks..............I recommend  Noodlers Eel or Polar ink for piston fillers. They have never clogged on me and was made for this type filling system(s).

Not to mention it is "archival."

My daily go to ink.............. :cool:
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #1547 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 12:59:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

That's some hot ****!  I was very excited to BUY a 146 marked W. Germany at the Ohio pen show, but wow such gift, very pwn!

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #1548 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 17:35:37 »
Highly desirable 149, brass (and not plastic) innards, great weight and balance.
As a matter of fact, only in the 1990's the filler thread began to be made of brass; before that they were made of plastic.

EDIT: the second photo, the one showing the nib and section in details, make me think that this pen is even older than OP's grandfather said.

Take a look at the nib of my 149, made in the mid-to-late 1990's (I beg your pardon for the potato quality):

121902-0

OP's pen have a single-unit barrel, proving that it was produced before 1985. A 2-section barrel looks like this (this photo isn't mine):

Also, we can see that my pen's nib is a tri-colored, 18K gold nib. Almost the same as the OP.

ALMOST, because OP's pen is marked 18C, not 18K. This nib was only produced between 1952 and 1959.

OP have a vintage 1950's MB 149, maybe one of the most valued fountain pens out there. Respect!
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 December 2015, 17:48:00 by VinnyCordeiro »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #1549 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 19:05:33 »
Yep, to confirm a bit of what Vinnie is saying, it does have plastic threads and a single unit barrel. I also read that the 18C nib marks it as 50's, but I actually had read that before the move to plastic threads from a friction plunger happened in 1959, which was the last time the 18C nib was produced. So my current estimation is that this was made in 1959.