Author Topic: I need a little help  (Read 1848 times)

Offline xxxquandomxxx

I need a little help
« on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 04:33:50 »
Hello, I just joined geekhack but I have been here for a while. Because it seems literally everybody who has used a mechanical keyboard prefers it more than rubber domes (prove me wrong), I decided to also join the club.

Here are some things to consider:

-Money: Although I don't like spending money, I would rather spend more and receive a better quality keyboard.

-Only a casual gamer

-Noise: I use the computer very late, past midnight where everyone is already sleeping, and I live with either my roommates or family. When nighttime comes, I might have to switch over to a quieter keyboard if current one is too noisy.

-I am currently using a T500 Thinkpad laptop keyboard, and I also use a cheap regular full sized keyboard for my desktop.

-Currently, I prefer to type on my notebook because I don't have to apply too much pressure and it is not hard for me to tell the keys have registered with its very short key traveling distance.

-I HATE typing on my full sized keyboard because I sometimes mistype when I pressed the keys too lightly and it didn't register. This forces me to bottom out the keys, which doesn't feel natural at all and makes a lot of noise.

Based on my conditions, what do you guys recommend? I know that keyboard preferences heavily depend on personal opinions; however, I hope you guys would help me in the decision. I am leaning towards the Filco with Cherry MX blue switches.

Here are some keyboards I found:

Newer IBM Model M (blue labels >1993)
(probably will buy from clickykeyboards.com)
-not as good feeling as old ibm?
-loud

Older IBM Model M (1391041 white labels)
-don't know a reliable place to buy, or take risks on eBay
-not as good condition, missing rivets mean typing feel will not be as good? (although repairable)
-loud

Unicomp Customizer 104
-does not live up to standards of IBM?
-expensive
-loud

Filco/Das MX blue switches
-very expensive
-loud

Filco/Das MX brown switches
-very expensive
-not as good feeling as blue switches?

AT101W
-used

Thank you for your time!!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
I need a little help
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 May 2010, 05:13:40 »
Quote from: xxxquandomxxx;181829
Newer IBM Model M (blue labels >1993)
(probably will buy from clickykeyboards.com)
-not as good feeling as old ibm?
-loud

Just to point out that the Blue Labels are as good as the older ones.

Either way, from your description, either the Cherry Brown or Topres are what you want - they are both low force and quiet. The Blue Cherry switches are quite noisy.

Offline ksd5

I need a little help
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 May 2010, 11:54:33 »
Did you try Cherry MX blacks?

Offline type_dancer

I need a little help
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 16:54:07 »
To add a question on, if the Blue Labels are of the same quality, do those drainage holes really make any difference in surviving spills and/or durability?
1-20-1993 Model M 51G8572 & Corsair Vengeance K90

Offline itlnstln

I need a little help
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 16:56:11 »
Ripster has an animated GIF with the drainage holes in action.  They do work.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
I need a little help
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 19:08:08 »
Quote from: type_dancer;183754
To add a question on, if the Blue Labels are of the same quality, do those drainage holes really make any difference in surviving spills and/or durability?

Put it this way - they are the same thing except with drainage channels. You don't really lose anything.

Offline wellington1869

I need a little help
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 19:09:09 »
Quote from: xxxquandomxxx;181829
Because it seems literally everybody who has used a mechanical keyboard prefers it more than rubber domes (prove me wrong),

er.... never mind. please continue :)

based on what you described (light, relatively quiet, no bottoming out), you sound like a topre/cherry brown candidate.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
I need a little help
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 19:14:31 »
Quote from: ch_123;183841
Put it this way - they are the same thing except with drainage channels. You don't really lose anything.

RE: spills, actually, the channels do play a role. The holes for the spacebar stabilizer bar are more protected/shielded in units with drainage channels where the liquid will just go straight in on a non-drainage-channel keyboard. In a severe spill it won't make a difference though.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

I need a little help
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 19:15:36 »
Quote from: kishy;183849
RE: spills, actually, the channels do play a role. The holes for the spacebar stabilizer bar are more protected/shielded in units with drainage channels where the liquid will just go straight in on a non-drainage-channel keyboard. In a severe spill it won't make a difference though.

i love how the spill is redirected directly into your lap.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
I need a little help
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 19:19:05 »
You'd like to think that IBM would have provided Part Number 1234567 Suit Protector Sytem/2 which would have prevented beverage spills pouring onto your crotch, and alerted your local IBM engineer about the possible need for dry cleaning. I think however that this might have been a step too far, even for IBM...

Offline thrab

I need a little help
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 19:20:02 »
Sounds like you want the Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless with brown switches. The brown switches are tons better for gaming. They are a bit light to the touch compared to the blues but you might eventually came to prefer them over the blues. I'd recommend the Otaku model so you don't have to worry about the lettering rubbing off.

Pricey but worth it as you'll only need one barring damage.

Offline wellington1869

I need a little help
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 19:23:02 »
Quote from: ch_123;183853
You'd like to think that IBM would have provided Part Number 1234567 Suit Protector Sytem/2 which would have prevented beverage spills pouring onto your crotch, and alerted your local IBM engineer about the possible need for dry cleaning. I think however that this might have been a step too far, even for IBM...

lol.

i'd respect a keyboard that could collect the soda in a reservoir and then proceed to spew it back at your face, all the while going "how do you like that? huh?!"

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
I need a little help
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 May 2010, 19:25:00 »
Alternatively, it would been interoperable with industry-standard beer hats.